PRESERVING CULTURE BAD IDEA?

Culture: shared beliefs and values of group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behavior of a particular nation or people

I hear all the time about the fight to preserve this or that culture of a people that have moved to the U.S

Considering they moved away from their culture to be a part of ours, then why would they want to preserve their culture in our country?

Granted some parts of their culture might be great, but often people are moving away from their country due to their culture making a mess of things.

Why would you want to turn a country you are moving to for opportunity, into the country you are moving away from?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no because if you read what I said, you would know otherwise.

true it varies from state to state, but if you don't see the differences between our country and others than there is no point in you posting

no because if you read what I said, you would know otherwise.

true it varies from state to state, but if you don't see the differences between our country and others than there is no point in you posting

culture-once more-is fluid and transient and because the diversity of cultural influence-which is always in flux. your post makes no sense

im a montanan. we are meat and potato people..we are being inundated with californians that are putting in sidewalk cafes and trying to change our culture...i think that for the most part people are intrusive..they move somewhere they think is beautiful and then try to teach us how to make it the same fu cked up place they came from..once it is destroyed they move on to another beautiful place and fu ck it up...north dakota was once a lush tropical paradise...cannonpointer has been there for two years and look at it now..sad really

culture-once more-is fluid and transient and because the diversity of cultural influence-which is always in flux. your post makes no sense

i dont read posts i need a dictionary to understand...laymans terms please sir...and by flux are you talking welding or this

vinc...montana has a culture all its own...with the onslaught of californians we are slowly becoming californians and not montanans..

chits always changing.

and seldom for the better...in montanas case...we are being destroyed...our forests are dying, our elk herds are shrinking...you should not be able to vote in montanan politics unless you were born here...that is how i feel...by the way it would exclude me from voting

vinc...montana has a culture all its own...with the onslaught of californians we are slowly becoming californians and not montanans..

and seldom for the better...in montanas case...we are being destroyed...our forests are dying, our elk herds are shrinking...you should not be able to vote in montanan politics unless you were born here...that is how i feel...by the way it would exclude me from voting

agreed change not always for the better.

the op hss to make an isolationist argument, but hasnt figured that out yet. i dont think that is a bad thing.

agreed change not always for the better.

the op hss to make an isolationist argument, but hasnt figured that out yet. i dont think that is a bad thing.

i think we would benefit from a decade of isolationism

I'm not trying to make an isolationist argument. I'm trying to decide that if while we are being open armed and allowing everyone in, if we shouldn't deter people from bringing their countries beliefs that are at odds with our own.

Not everything is covered by laws and therefore we are open to outsiders changing our "common" beliefs. Of course anymore many US citizens are against having any beliefs or are for everyone having their own personal beliefs with no gauge or common ground.

No common ground divides us and makes us vulnerable to outsiders that wish to do us harm.

Culture: shared beliefs and values of group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behavior of a particular nation or people

I hear all the time about the fight to preserve this or that culture of a people that have moved to the U.S

Considering they moved away from their culture to be a part of ours, then why would they want to preserve their culture in our country?

Why would you want to turn a country you are moving to for opportunity, into the country you are moving away from?

Apparently you don't understand what the American culture is, it is a mixed culture representing the combined World. Read the statue of liberty,

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

That is your cultural blessing.

Now read your constitution. "We the people, in order to form a more perfect union,..........." We are a united states of many states and many people.

Now read the oath to the American Creed, an oath every American should take and live by. A government of all people, we are in this together, a 200 year old experiment of mixed cultures pulling together for the betterment of the whole. When we defend America, we do not ask what culture you are. we don't single out africans from ME, SA, or EURO, etc.

I believe in the United States of America, as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.

I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies

Apparently you don't understand what the American culture is, it is a mixed culture representing the combined World. Read the statue of liberty,

Now read your constitution. "We the people, in order to form a more perfect union,..........." We are a united states of many states and many people.

Now read the oath to the American Creed, an oath every American should take and live by. A government of all people, we are in this together, a 200 year old experiment of mixed cultures pulling together for the betterment of the whole. When we defend America, we do not ask what culture you are. we don't single out africans from ME, SA, or EURO, etc.

I believe in the United States of America, as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.

I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies

that was beautiful

Written by a communist Jew and means NOTHING.

The problem though is that when all that was written, everyone endured hardships to get here and more when they got here and had to band together in this melting pot.

Certain types of people were the early adopters and I believe that is what made us great.

Now people feel entitled, are given help beyond help and seem to want to move here but remain segregated within the country.

The common goal seems to be an afterthought for many.

Should we work harder to encourage people to become "americans"? I wonder if in the future, mass immigration could change our country to its detriment.

I'm posting this as a baby thought to see if it might have any substance.

Cant quote.

you have to make an isolstionist argument defining what america is culturally.

the wider the cultural net is cast, the more diverse the mentality, the greater the number of laws, and the less liberty and freedom. Yes, the irony is the statue of liberty undercuts liberty

Encouraging people to adopt our ways is not isolationist.

The constitution is a good example of defining a country while still allowing people outside of the idea participate.

If we were a true democracy, then people could change the basic premise our country was founded on.

I don't feel that the constitution is indestructible and so it might be a good idea to better incorporate people into this way of life.

One issue is with Mexicans coming here and being Mexicans in the US instead of "Americans" Ive worked with lots of people here illegally and many refuse to learn English because of some idea that they don't want to be "Americans" because they are not going to conform to anyone elses ways.

It's not just a benign attitude and coming across with delicious tacos that im worried about. It's the ones that feel as if being a part of our country somehow lessens them. I think It breeds contempt and causes rifts in our system that is detrimental.

This separation also separates them from the countries well being. If they don't feel a strong connection to what our country is about, then they would feel less desire to preserve it.

Look at groups like La Rasa. They hate the United States and use our acceptance and accommodation to attack our ways.

Acceptance of other people doesn't mean letting them destroy what you have.

Definition of isolationism (n)

Bing Dictionary

i·so·la·tion·ism
[ ssə láysh'n ìzzəm ]
  1. avoidance of international relations: a government policy based on the belief that national interests are best served by avoiding economic and political alliances with other countries

Isolationism has nothing to do with protecting culture.

Another example is when the "day without a Mexican" thing was going on... People were marching around with Mexican flags telling us that we'll be sorry if we don't play nice and they would "show us" if we didn't bow to their demands.

Granted some parts of their culture might be great, but often people are moving away from their country due to their culture making a mess of things.

They like the freebies, the main reason for moving here, cultures aside.

Once more...culture is transient and variable. american culture is a mix of OTHER cultures. so wanting other cultures to conform to "our" culture is a laughable premise.

you would have to stop further immigration (isolationism) and then "our" culture would be something frozen in time which others could conform to.

you dont understand your own position

What REALLY is your priority? What aspect do you seek to preserve?

I see...all the time...history buldozed to make more $...then there's some faction wanting to enshrine stuff that's mainly a SHAME upon our nation. Who ARE we? We are MANY MANY cultures. Are we just the 18th century anglos? no. Are we the Cherokee/ Navaho? Shawnee? Not much. Are we the transplanted and enslaved cultures of West Africa? the Irish and Italian immigrants of the early 20th century? the mix of Mexicans and cowboys that we added when we took the Southwest? America's culture...is constantly changing,is very broad. I REMEMBER the "small towns"{ of an America fom 40-50 yr ago..and they no longer exist. If America now a strip mall with a Walmart,a Burger King,a KFC,a Rire Aid and an Olive Garden? Uh...that's about it.

Where I am is a mainly white working class town but a half block away...it shifts to a working class town that's 3/4 black. Walk east a few blocks and it's a mainly white upper-middle/yuppie town. Hop in the car and in 10 min I can be in a major regional city,the edge of the farm zone or the most rich suburb. So......just what Is the culture? When I left High School...in this area you could not find a decent Taco...and nobody knew what Sushi was. Now? Now...we can find plenty of Thai food, Mexican, Sushi....etc. Now...the small towns around that once had a unique personality...are a lot like EVERY small town. The idividuality of Main Street in the 50's,60's has been overwhelmed by homogonized,franchized corporate uniformity.

Ohio...Kansas...Oklahoma...California,Tennessee...you see the mass market stuff.....Taco Bell...Home Depot....Target...Walmart...McDonalds....Pizza Hut....Denny's...etc etc etc. Yopu can be in San Diego, Dayton, Memphis, Newark and your TV brings in the same stuff. In another generation or two...we won't see much in the way of a regional accent,a local style or culture...we are being homoginized.

Once more...culture is transient and variable. american culture is a mix of OTHER cultures. so wanting other cultures to conform to "our" culture is a laughable premise.

you would have to stop further immigration (isolationism) and then "our" culture would be something frozen in time which others could conform to.

you dont understand your own position

Dang it...Vinnie...you pretty much nailed it. America is not Japan...France...Mexico. Our CULTURE is all over the place. We have Tupac, Garth Brooks, Jerry Garcia,, Michael Jackson, Willie Nelson. We eat Grits and Chili and we eat Dim Sum and Burritos and Linguini and Pesto and Sashimi and Chitlins and anything BBQ or Deep Fry.. Our "architecture and art" is a mush of ANYTHING

there's a difference between the immigrants who once came through ellis island 100 years ago and those border jumping now.

those immigrants then came here to embrace america. they wanted to learn english and study and know our history. it was important

to them to become an AMERICAN. now? it's more like they come simply to exploit our entitlement system and really don't give a damn

about the nation at all.