Scott Walker Signs Abortion Bill Requiring Ultrasounds

MADISON, Wis. -- Gov. Scott Walker quietly signed a contentious Republican bill Friday that would require women seeking abortions to undergo an ultrasound and ban doctors who lack admitting privileges at nearby hospitals from performing the procedures.

Opponents contend legislators shouldn't force women to undergo any medical procedure and the bill will force two abortion clinics where providers lack admitting privileges to shut their doors. The law takes effect Monday. Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin and the American Civil Liberties Union filed a federal lawsuit within hours of the signing alleging the bill is unconstitutional and asking for a temporary restraining order blocking the measure.

"What the Legislature has done is to set up a system where the ability to provide abortions is contingent on the decision of a private institution and that's unconstitutional," Planned Parenthood's attorney, Lester Pines, said in an interview.

A spokeswoman for the state Department of Justice, which defends state laws, said agency attorneys would review the lawsuit and respond in court.

Opponents maintain the law authorizes the government to dictate medical procedures. They've blasted the admitting privileges as ridiculous, saying an ambulance would take an ailing woman to the nearest hospital regardless of whether the abortion provider has admitting privileges.

Walker, a Republican, didn't sign the bill in public, instead sending out a statement early Friday afternoon saying the bill was now law.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he's a fking coward. what was he afraid of? not signing it in public....

a forced invasive ultrasound = state sanctioned RAPE. no 2 ways around it. disgusting vile POS he is..

any knuckledragging neoCON that agrees will sooner or later be up for re election.

women will remember esp come november 2014.

MADISON, Wis. -- Gov. Scott Walker quietly signed a contentious Republican bill Friday that would require women seeking abortions to undergo an ultrasound

He wants women to have information about the arguable human life they're taking? Horrors!

Good for him. Educating women should be a top priority of both parties.

I'm glad to see one party doing it's part.

Con education is sticking an arm up a vagina at a traffic stop.

He wants women to have information about the arguable human life they're taking? Horrors!

Yes, we need to mount cameras in con bedrooms so they know what causes conception. I sure you will agree to being educated in your bedroom, right?

You're the morons who lack any knowledge of the issue. Women facing unwanted pregnancies a very well aware of what's happening, and have every right to make difficult decisions regarding their own bodies.

You two dickweeds, however, have absolutely no right to stick your noses up a woman's vagina and tell her what she can and cannot do regarding her bodily functions. And neither does that slimeball Walker.

You mean extreme like forcing people into contracts with private companies for services they my not want or need...that kind of extreme?

We have one astute poster who recognizes violations of the constitution when they see it. Thks!! This same action is what fks obama care & why we need national health care paid by national oil & other American resources we give away.

yet another republican attack on women and controlling them,

just like republican attacks on unions and controlling working men and women,

just like republicans attacks on blacks and latinos forcing them to stand in line for

hours in order to vote and manipulating voting such as republican gerrymandering.

get used to it, especially if you are an idiot who works for a living but you vote

for repukes who represent the rich and you vote against yourself and your family

based on moronic religious issues.

you just can not fix the stupidity of republican supporters screwing themselves

and the rest of Americans.

We have one astute poster who recognizes violations of the constitution when they see it. Thks!! This same action is what fks obama care & why we need national health care paid by national oil & other American resources we give away.

You managed to praise and piss on the constitution all in the very same sentence....congratulations.

he's a fking coward. what was he afraid of? not signing it in public....

a forced invasive ultrasound = state sanctioned RAPE. no 2 ways around it. disgusting vile POS he is..

any knuckledragging neoCON that agrees will sooner or later be up for re election.

women will remember esp come november 2014.

Not that I support the law, but do you even know what a fucking ultrasound is?

It's less invasive than say...

Injecting drugs into a woman's body to induce premature labor.

Inserting medical instruments into a woman's body to terminate a life.

An abortion is an invasive procedure.

Open heart surgery is an invasive procedure.

An ultrasound is not.

Moron.

yet another republican attack on women and controlling them,

just like republican attacks on unions and controlling working men and women,

just like republicans attacks on blacks and latinos forcing them to stand in line for

hours in order to vote and manipulating voting such as republican gerrymandering.

get used to it, especially if you are an idiot who works for a living but you vote

for repukes who represent the rich and you vote against yourself and your family

based on moronic religious issues.

you just can not fix the stupidity of republican supporters screwing themselves

and the rest of Americans.

Just like the Democrat attack on all Americans by coercing them into contracting with privately-owned corporations.

Not that I support the law, but do you even know what a fucking ultrasound is?

It's less invasive than say...

Injecting drugs into a woman's body to induce premature labor.

Inserting medical instruments into a woman's body to terminate a life.

An abortion is an invasive procedure.

Open heart surgery is an invasive procedure.

An ultrasound is not.

Moron.

A forced medical procedure is far more invasive than a voluntary one.

Dickweed.

You mean extreme like forcing people into contracts with private companies for services they my not want or need...that kind of extreme?

I don't know what yer talking about. I don't have to sign with anyone, and get free coverage.

so you're comparing getting healthcare coverage for everyone with forcing a woman to get raped?

That's pretty....insane.

Extremist Scott's law will force the shutdown of clinics that provide cancer screening and other vital health services for women.

And mandate women having to get an object forcibly penetrating her vagina against her will.

And here you are...defending that.

there's one thing we all know is that women LOVE to be told what to do, especially when it comes to their bodies.

ROFLMAO.

yeah....Women just love your boys.

"Women vote for Obama by double digits"

Look for them to extend that margin in 2016 because the GOP does such a good job of "educating women."

Your war on women continues.....and it worked so well for you in November.

Keep up the good work.

I don't know what yer talking about. I don't have to sign with anyone, and get free coverage.

so you're comparing getting healthcare coverage for everyone with forcing a woman to get raped?

That's pretty....insane.

Extremist Scott's law will force the shutdown of clinics that provide cancer screening and other vital health services for women.

And mandate women having to get an object forcibly penetrating her vagina against her will.

And here you are...defending that.

You don't even know what an ultra-sound is moron.

A forced medical procedure is far more invasive than a voluntary one.

Dickweed.

We'll just look at it as a tu quoque.

If you're gonna force me to pay for your contraceptives then I have a say in your medical procedures.

Personally, I don't feel that way. I think each person is responsible for their own well-being. But if ya want to play the game...

That's weak....as a faux lib I'm so glad you play for the other side.

So you're gonna side with Corky claiming an ultra-sound involves vaginal penetration? Idiot.

Don't hate yourself because I'm more liberal than your authoritarian quasi-liberal progressive ass.

We'll just look at it as a tu quoque.

If you're gonna force me to pay for your contraceptives then I have a say in your medical procedures.

Personally, I don't feel that way. I think each person is responsible for their own well-being. But if ya want to play the game...

This has nothing to do with you paying. 66% of abortions are paid for by the recipient. This bill forces them to also undergo ultrsounds as well. This has to do with forcing Americans, stripping away their privacy rights, demeaning their lifestyle, etc. That unAmerican Walker should be fking shot,