Happy 4th!!! Kick the deep south out of the U.S.A.

There's talk of secession. The southers want to escape the jackboot of tyranny (in the form of health insurance and gay marriage).

What's the big deal?

I say let 'em go.

No.

Force them to go away.

The article is entitled "Is the South Dragging the Rest of the Nation Down?

Why poor white Southerners keep voting for policies that screw them and how this hurts the rest of the nation."

...Thompson is right that we are two separate countries with irreconcilable differences on health care, gun control, abortion laws, gay marriage, voter registration, subsidies for education, the role of religion in society, the definition of patriotism and the importance of unions. It could be an amicable divorce where everyone gets what they want: Southerners want the federal government to stop spending so much money and get out of their lives, and we in the Northeast would pay lower taxes because we would no longer have to support the poorest states in the country. All the crackpots and phonies who vied for the Republican nomination for president last year—Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Ron Paul and for good measure I’ll toss in Sarah Palin—were taken seriously only because the potential nominee would have all the Southern states on their side of the ledger. (When someone reminds Thompson that Palin is not from the South, he responds, “Hitler wasn’t from Germany, either. Palin wouldn’t exist if not for the South.”)

Let all the other states decide which country they want to be part of, and if Texas really believes it can be self-sufficient, let it declare itself an independent republic.

To Thompson’s credit, Southerners are allowed their comments. “I think,” one of them tells him, “you all would be dull as shit without us.” That guy is right. So much of American culture comes from the South: writers Edgar Allan Poe, Faulkner, Tennessee Williams and Flannery O’Connor, to say nothing of our music—blues, jazz, country, rock ‘n’ roll. But if we did split into two countries, we’d still get to enjoy all that culture. Being separated by a 3,000-mile ocean didn’t keep the Brits from loving rock ‘n’ roll.

One of Thompson’s interviewees tells him, “The most fundamental flaw I see in your scenario is the South has come to really embody the real patriotic America. If we secede, the USA would become Canada South. We are the real USA.” I might agree if I saw Southerners expressing their patriotism on any subject other than war. In any event, it’s of no concern to me who gets to be the real USA—maybe the competition would do us both good. And right now, to be frank, Canada South sounds pretty good...

From http://www.alternet.org/south-dragging-rest-nation-down?paging=off

cc

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's talk of secession. The southers want to escape the jackboot of tyranny (in the form of health insurance and gay marriage).

What's the big deal?

I say let 'em go.

No.

Force them to go away.

The article is entitled "Is the South Dragging the Rest of the Nation Down?

Why poor white Southerners keep voting for policies that screw them and how this hurts the rest of the nation."

...Thompson is right that we are two separate countries with irreconcilable differences on health care, gun control, abortion laws, gay marriage, voter registration, subsidies for education, the role of religion in society, the definition of patriotism and the importance of unions. It could be an amicable divorce where everyone gets what they want: Southerners want the federal government to stop spending so much money and get out of their lives, and we in the Northeast would pay lower taxes because we would no longer have to support the poorest states in the country. All the crackpots and phonies who vied for the Republican nomination for president last year—Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Ron Paul and for good measure I’ll toss in Sarah Palin—were taken seriously only because the potential nominee would have all the Southern states on their side of the ledger. (When someone reminds Thompson that Palin is not from the South, he responds, “Hitler wasn’t from Germany, either. Palin wouldn’t exist if not for the South.”)

Let all the other states decide which country they want to be part of, and if Texas really believes it can be self-sufficient, let it declare itself an independent republic.

To Thompson’s credit, Southerners are allowed their comments. “I think,” one of them tells him, “you all would be dull as shit without us.” That guy is right. So much of American culture comes from the South: writers Edgar Allan Poe, Faulkner, Tennessee Williams and Flannery O’Connor, to say nothing of our music—blues, jazz, country, rock ‘n’ roll. But if we did split into two countries, we’d still get to enjoy all that culture. Being separated by a 3,000-mile ocean didn’t keep the Brits from loving rock ‘n’ roll.

One of Thompson’s interviewees tells him, “The most fundamental flaw I see in your scenario is the South has come to really embody the real patriotic America. If we secede, the USA would become Canada South. We are the real USA.” I might agree if I saw Southerners expressing their patriotism on any subject other than war. In any event, it’s of no concern to me who gets to be the real USA—maybe the competition would do us both good. And right now, to be frank, Canada South sounds pretty good...

From http://www.alternet.org/south-dragging-rest-nation-down?paging=off

cc

I was actually a fan of Rick Perry's "Secession" bullshit. Imagine if Texas did leave the US and became some sort of faith and money based hole for the conservatives all to leave the US, go to, and enjoy their empty violent selfish lives in. Talk about taking out the garbage ! ^_^

If the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 wasn't passed and we left it up to the individual states, some of these states would still have Jim Crow laws.

Agreed.

Every single advancement this country has made, the deep south was the last of the US states to come on board. If the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 wasn't passed and we left it up to the individual states, some of these states would still have Jim Crow laws.

You act as if that would be a bad thing. As a Segregationist I support Separate but equal facilities for Coloreds and Whites. I would also like to remind you that it was the democrats that opposed the Civil Rights Act, not the Republicans. The Republicans were all for the civil rights act (A big mistake in my opinion, but there you have it.).

I am all for shipping the left out of the South,

Send us your businessmen, their businesses, those that yearn to earn a salary and make profits; through work, those that think that liberty and freedom reign supreme and we will give them opportunity. In return, we will give you the loafers, the freeloaders and those that use and abuse the social system, and you can give them their dreams.

We will take the military, you can have the apologists, We will even throw in political correctness. You can keep Pelosi, Reid, Boxer and Feinstein and the rest of the God hating left, we will take all the conservatives that you hate, The South, from Texas to the Carolinas can do just fine on their own.

Nocturnal Emission is at +138. JTZilla is at +9. Clitoris is at +5.

Ayn Stein is at -57

ES is at -407

Is there a pattern here?

cc

Wait a minute--being in the green is supposed to be good, right?

Nocturnal Emission is at +138. JTZilla is at +9. Clitoris is at +5.

Ayn Stein is at -57

Is there a pattern here?

cc

yes....Gallows is spamming the board. He's following around libs and no matter what they say he's rating a negative. I'm well in the hundreds. lol

And no matter how stupid a con posts he gives them a positive.

That and I noticed someone named Libdrone Gay Dunce is following Nightstalker around giving him all positives. I've never seen that name post here before. Probably a sok. Probably the bedwetter himself.

But this is mostly the low life Gallows doing.

You can click on the number and it reveals who is doing the rating.

Go to one of my threads and you'll see.

Gallows is too stupid to realize this.

I've witnessed some despicable behavior in my time, but this is truly depraved.

I've not been on many boards, but some of the ones I know about have disabled the reputation "feature".

Perhaps this is why.

cc

Every single advancement this country has made, the deep south was the last of the US states to come on board. If the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 wasn't passed and we left it up to the individual states, some of these states would still have Jim Crow laws.

OK.. I don't doubt it. Now why would a group stay in a area while steadily being oppressed? I'm serious.if the.north was such a utopia for blacks how come we still have a majority of the black population in the south.

People sailed across the Atlantic for three or four months to better themselves in colonial times. I could walk to Ohio in months time. Can you enlighten me?