California teachers suing to end mandatory union dues

A group of California teachers is preparing for a Supreme Court battle to overturn forced union dues in a groundbreaking lawsuit filed in June.

For nearly three decades, the Supreme Court has allowed closed-shop unionism, in which public employees must pay dues to labor groups handling collective bargaining negotiations.

The Supreme Court established Beck Rights in 1988 allowing workers to opt out of union dues for political activities, while continuing to pay for union negotiating expenses. The teachers are hoping to take that battle one step further by putting an end to all coercive union dues.

Ten California schoolteachers are challenging California's policy of forcing all public employees to pay union dues for collective bargaining. The Center for Individual Rights (CIR) is aiding their suit. The CIR views the issue through the lens of the Constitution, rather than as a contest of labor policy.

"Our efforts are not anti-union; we are trying to solidify the First Amendment rights of public employees to freely assemble," CIR president Terry Pell said.

The plaintiffs filed a preliminary injunction on Tuesday asking the court to waive the teachers' union dues during the ongoing trial. Pell is certain the motion will fail, which is all the better for the plaintiffs because it will "fast-track" the litigation to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and eventually the Supreme Court.

What??????

Then they use that money to support liberal propaganda. You don't know that???

I know what Unions are about, BUT I didn't know their fees are mandatory! You don't have a choice?... they just take the fee out of your paycheck?

I know what Unions are about, BUT I didn't know their fees are mandatory! You don't have a choice?... they just take the fee out of your paycheck?

yes you have to pay sometimes thousands to join a union

then they take dues out every month,

BART (bay area rapid transit) is on strike today

they want $71,000 annual

$48,000 in benefits (I guess oblamercare isnt good enough for these democrats)

8-10 weeks paid vacation

a couple other demands I forget < one was $11,000 overtime

just think what the new bullet train is going to cost to operate...

I wouldn't mind these as.sholes having the right to work without a union involvement, what I mind is the bastards thinking they are entitled to union benefits without paying dues. Not sure why the union doesn't pursue that.

they want $71,000 annual

$48,000 in benefits

8-10 weeks paid vacation

a couple other demands I forget

...same BS that caused the Twinkie crash?!...

And in return you get a package of benefits for you and your family (health care, lawyer use, life insurance, discounts on consumer goods like cars, a retirement pension), and training and placement on jobs, especially important in construction fields (I never lost a days work in 25 years, always had a next job waiting for me to arrive), you have successful negotiators who obviously get you better wages and benefits, you don't have to listen to some ass-clown supervisor trying to get you to do something illegal, or short cut a job you know will that will fail, you get your wages when they are due, etc. Non-union guys get fked, and die, and you can see that in the low wage, cut benefits and wages occurring in America.

they want $71,000 annual

$48,000 in benefits

8-10 weeks paid vacation

a couple other demands I forget

Hmm, ain't it a shame that some people know what their skills are worth, and won't take wage & benefit cuts on a whim? Years ago repukes were for the union guys and the principle of paying a man a fair days wages to care for their families, but commie cons undermind that thought process starting with Reagan. Now you got a nation of fked nonunion workers. How sad, lol!

...same BS that caused the Twinkie crash?!...

That is a lie!! And I have shown that here several times, so you are a fking liar and uninformed piece of chit. I bet you lie to your family like that as well, probably learned how to lie from your worthless mother. Fking lying whore she was.

I wouldn't mind these as.sholes having the right to work without a union involvement, what I mind is the bastards thinking they are entitled to union benefits without paying dues. Not sure why the union doesn't pursue that.

What union benefits? The Union gives these people NOTHING, only the company pays employees benefits.

The unions do nothing but leach money from their membership.

This used to be a free country, now in some states, people are forced to pay a union if they want a job.

except when the unions get their claws into the tax payers back,

they found the never empty pot of gold...

Rings true for nonunion as well bozo. You gave a trillion to wallstreet and a trillion to the bankers, you have been coddling corporations in the ME over two presidents terms, and now you got a problem with American workers being able to care for their families by working?? LMAO!!! You cons are unAmerican bastards.

Hmm, ain't it a shame that some people know what their skills are worth, and won't take wage & benefit cuts on a whim? Years ago repukes were for the union guys and the principle of paying a man a fair days wages to care for their families, but commie cons undermind that thought process starting with Reagan. Now you got a nation of fked nonunion workers. How sad, lol!

That is a lie!! And I have shown that here several times, so you are a fking liar and uninformed piece of chit. I bet you lie to your family like that as well, probably learned how to lie from your worthless mother. Fking lying whore she was.

It's not a lie.....The company could no longer afford what the unions were demanding. Unions are the reason for many companies failing.

except when the unions get their claws into the tax payers back,

they found the never empty pot of gold...

Rings true for nonunion as well bozo. You gave a trillion to wallstreet and a trillion to the bankers, you have been coddling corporations in the ME over two presidents terms, and now you got a problem with American workers being able to care for their families by working?? LMAO!!! You cons are unAmerican bastards.

It's not a lie.....The company could no longer afford what the unions were demanding. Unions are the reason for many companies failing.

+1

...calm down, purplegums!! Stay on topic and cut the pot smoking!

You need to go fish some threads dude. They failed because of their own fking greed, they were giving out million dollar bonuses for years while union members gave up wages and benefits, their profits were in the billions, and all the while trying to sell the golden apple off they had or file bankrupt. The judge even allowed the fking bonuses even during the bankruptcy. You need to do some reading because you are flat wrong. The union workers made the company and kept it solvent for damn near a eighty years.

+1

...calm down, purplegums!! Stay on topic and cut the pot smoking!

The habitual liars answer to what he is.