Sign in to follow this  
Samidean

Will the latest SCOTUS decision cause a backlash at the polls in 2014?

By now, we all know about the right wing activist justices on the SCOTUS, striking down a vital part of the Voting Rights Act, and some believe that it might actually cause a backlash at the polls come 2014, that the RepubliCONS are not counting on happening. According to Chris Hayes, he believes that their totally partisan ruling did in fact bring about the official start of the 2014 mid-term elections, in that it will give the Democrats every incentive to get that great ground game going full force.

Only right wingers appear to be too dim to get it, that their fascist practices as a party, only served to make more people determined to stand in line up to 8 hours in 2012 to exercise their Constitutional right to vote, and apparently they are banking on the old fact that turnout in mid-term elections is generally low, BUT, what we have seen of their party, since 2010, is that they are well prepared to use every dirty trick in their bag to keep as many minority voters from being allowed to vote, and this disastrous decision is only going to serve to embolden them even more. That party just refuses to acknowledge the FACT, that the quickly changing minority demographics in this country are a force to be reckoned with, and my fervent hope is that, they will be shown what that phrase means, "be careful what you wish for".

When the Repubs won the House, Senate and presidency.

Tom Delay was so proud, his quote was "We can do anything we want", and they did, for awhile.

Anyone heard of Hot Tub Tom lately, Convicted Felon isn't he?

It may never happen again with the Repubs in charge of everything.

This is just another example of Repubs trying to cheat their way into power,,,,,,,, again,

I may well backfire on them,,,,,,,,,,,,, again.

Posted · Hidden by lostphoenix, June 29, 2013 - D.O.R.
Hidden by lostphoenix, June 29, 2013 - D.O.R.

edited: did not realize this was the liberals only section. delete this please

I can only hope it has repercussions in 2014. I was of course quite dismayed when the Republicans took back the house so abruptly in 2010 - it didn't make sense to bring back the very same rascals who were ousted because of horrible performance on so many levels in 2006/ 2008. Especially because they only worse not better.

There aren't a lot of idealistic voters I suppose. People just go to sleep and forget to vote.

Through the Bush II years, what really got me was the failure to address all the pressing issues, and there are many. You know, a structural job deficit, broken banking system, climate change, lack of R&D spending at the Federal level, Health care, growing inequality, immigration, etc... Instead, they were just compounded.

Take Health Care for one. While the reform act that was passed wasn't something I fully supported - it was pretty much a republican plan reincarnated, it does insure 30 million more people and we should try to make it work and fix what is weak about it instead of trying to decimate it. (single payer, like they have in Canada, which isn't socialized medicine at all, for my way of thinking was the right way to go because it is efficient and covers all. and for less than what we already spend.)

Invest in tomorrow. Prosperity, you know. Prosperity for all is working and sacrificing for. But we keep going backwards and this creates cynicism and distrust in government. We can do more with less if we do it smartly.

Actually, people could be a lot happier working harder, if they know they are working towards a brighter future - which is completely possible.

If we want real change enacted we're going to need a congress that can act in a progressive way. That's what we want. That's what we always wanted.

Peace!