Sign in to follow this  
xylophone

Wendy Davis just reminded us why this system is broken

Let's acknowledge that women are still playing in a boy's club when it comes to politics.

Don't want to do that? Fine.

Let's acknowledge this latest filibuster was the best attempt that women had to address a persistent sexism and violation of women when it comes to reproductive health.

Don't want to do that?

Let's acknowledge that law-making and procedures (if not filibusters themselves but the processes that go into them) are unbalanced and non-sensical.

Don't want to do that either? Either. Fine.

Then let's acknowledged that republican senators nit and picked their way through Texas today calling highly ridiculous and unnecessary means to stop this filibuster, and then completely disregarded the laws.

You may not refuse to acknowledge that one. http://soupsoup.net/2013/06/26/texas-senate-changes-date-on-their-sb5-results/

It's right there.

Wendy Davis has done something for women that is a wonderful thing and she was cheated. Even if you disagree with her ideals or agenda if you allow this nonsense to be acceptable then you are letting it happen to you.

This entire ordeal started as an injustice with the bill, leveled off with a magnificent attempt from Davis to use our system to make an appeal to common sense, and ended with a huge travesty.

This was insulting for women, this was a complete disregard of the law... This was yet another event that makes it obvious our system is broken.

As abortion murders innocent children I really am hard pressed to object if efforts to curtail its practice do not follow the law to the letter. I am certain the German people were not asked to vote on the closure of the concentration camps. No one in the Souths objections were heard when the slaves were emancipated. Sorry but on abortion the topic trumps legalism.

• Upvote 1

Let's acknowledge that women are still playing in a boy's club when it comes to politics.

Don't want to do that? Fine.

Let's acknowledge this latest filibuster was the best attempt that women had to address a persistent sexism and violation of women when it comes to reproductive health.

Don't want to do that?

Let's acknowledge that law-making and procedures (if not filibusters themselves but the processes that go into them) are unbalanced and non-sensical.

Don't want to do that either? Either. Fine.

Then let's acknowledged that republican senators nit and picked their way through Texas today calling highly ridiculous and unnecessary means to stop this filibuster, and then completely disregarded the laws.

You may not refuse to acknowledge that one. http://soupsoup.net/2013/06/26/texas-senate-changes-date-on-their-sb5-results/

It's right there.

Wendy Davis has done something for women that is a wonderful thing and she was cheated. Even if you disagree with her ideals or agenda if you allow this nonsense to be acceptable then you are letting it happen to you.

This entire ordeal started as an injustice with the bill, leveled off with a magnificent attempt from Davis to use our system to make an appeal to common sense, and ended with a huge travesty.

This was insulting for women, this was a complete disregard of the law... This was yet another event that makes it obvious our system is broken.

Have we all acknowledged that everyone started as an unviable tissue mass? It appears that assumption is taken for granted and the entire human race has moved beyond this consideration. The terminology used after this plateau is reached seems much less callous. doesn't it?

It is akin to "choice" and "reproductive rights" and your statement: "violation of women when it comes to reproductive health."

Having to rename and rephrase each aspect loudly barks: PC and spin and marketing. The proper twists and verbal gymnastics belie the anguish, self-esteem issues, shame, regret so that some folks can wear a mask of false pride in "taking a stand". That is a shame in itself.

I am not against a woman getting an abortion. Life and death are part of the human condition that adults can accept. I don't think it's right to cloak it in something that it's not so that a child can accept it. Or someone childlike in their thinking.

It is always going to be a terrible event of someone killing their own baby. You can spin it for years and drive that out of little girls' heads so they won't feel that way WHEN they get their inevitable abortions.

At least, that seems to be the ultimate goal from my point of view.

Maybe you think that it's a better way just as i see it as conditioning. I can accept and actually prefer truth unvarnished.

Have we all acknowledged that everyone started as an unviable tissue mass? It appears that assumption is taken for granted and the entire human race has moved beyond this consideration. The terminology used after this plateau is reached seems much less callous. doesn't it?

It is akin to "choice" and "reproductive rights" and your statement: "violation of women when it comes to reproductive health."

Having to rename and rephrase each aspect loudly barks: PC and spin and marketing. The proper twists and verbal gymnastics belie the anguish, self-esteem issues, shame, regret so that some folks can wear a mask of false pride in "taking a stand". That is a shame in itself.

I am not against a woman getting an abortion. Life and death are part of the human condition that adults can accept. I don't think it's right to cloak it in something that it's not so that a child can accept it. Or someone childlike in their thinking.

It is always going to be a terrible event of someone killing their own baby. You can spin it for years and drive that out of little girls' heads so they won't feel that way WHEN they get their inevitable abortions.

At least, that seems to be the ultimate goal from my point of view.

Maybe you think that it's a better way just as i see it as conditioning. I can accept and actually prefer truth unvarnished.

That's why I never engage in the BS - I am the first to say that an abortion stops a beating heart.

Frankly, there are two reasons I favor abortion:

1. I beleive in autonomy with one's body - a woman's right to choose;

2. I believe that most abortion stop the beating heart of a useless eater - a future criminal.

That's why I never engage in the BS - I am the first to say that an abortion stops a beating heart.

2. I believe that most abortion stop the beating heart of a useless eater - a future criminal.

Yeah CP, I gave up on the PC side of it as bullshit spin.

You and I are the hard nuts for those idiots to crack: call it what it is AND it's ok by me. Most folks can't do both kill a baby and accept it for what it is. Oh well, that's life . . . in a way.

Future out of control, one parent (mother) children are statistically shitty humans. Ignorant, anti-social dangers. Actuarial tables are stacked so abortions start to look pretty good, you callous sick unfeeling bastard.

and in regards to point number 2. that is why God hates abortion...you are allowing people into heaven that wouldnt normally get to go

Refreshingly honest, at least. Growth in the womb indicates life. For anyone to bring in PC BS to attempt to spin it otherwise is full of it, looking for ways to cover the simple facts.

To follow the previous statement, that's choose to stop a beating heart, right? By extension, if the child was 5-months-old, completely dependent on single mom for everything life sustaining, an inconvenience to her, is that okay too? Does the woman have the unalienable right to choose the death of another that interferes with her body? What about the overtired mother of a toddler? The inconvenienced mother of a teenager? Where is the line for the 'right to choose', in your opinion?

Woman already don't have autonomy over their body, since there are many things that are illegal in this county: drugs, prostitution, euthanasia. Would you embrace the position that all things should be legal if they interfere with autonomy? I do, as a Libertarian, but I draw the line at it interfering with others (not the "I'm offended" crowd, but real interference). What about the autonomy of others? Should she be allowed to choose to drug someone else? Rape someone else? Euthanize someone else?

And if a woman has an unalienable right to not have someone choose for her, what about the female with the beating heart being extinguished? Why doesn't that female have the same right to autonomy, to not have someone else choose to end her beating heart?

Do you believe in punishing the innocent? Should everyone accused of a crime be put to death? Should everyone suspected of a crime be put to death? Should everyone suspected they might commit a future crime be put to death? How can you tell when someone might become a criminal?

Refreshingly honest, at least. Growth in the womb indicates life. For anyone to bring in PC BS to attempt to spin it otherwise is full of it, looking for ways to cover the simple facts.

To follow the previous statement, that's choose to stop a beating heart, right? By extension, if the child was 5-months-old, completely dependent on single mom for everything life sustaining, an inconvenience to her, is that okay too? Does the woman have the unalienable right to choose the death of another that interferes with her body? What about the overtired mother of a toddler? The inconvenienced mother of a teenager? Where is the line for the 'right to choose', in your opinion?

Woman already don't have autonomy over their body, since there are many things that are illegal in this county: drugs, prostitution, euthanasia. Would you embrace the position that all things should be legal if they interfere with autonomy? I do, as a Libertarian, but I draw the line at it interfering with others (not the "I'm offended" crowd, but real interference). What about the autonomy of others? Should she be allowed to choose to drug someone else? Rape someone else? Euthanize someone else?

And if a woman has an unalienable right to not have someone choose for her, what about the female with the beating heart being extinguished? Why doesn't that female have the same right to autonomy, to not have someone else choose to end her beating heart?

Do you believe in punishing the innocent? Should everyone accused of a crime be put to death? Should everyone suspected of a crime be put to death? Should everyone suspected they might commit a future crime be put to death? How can you tell when someone might become a criminal?

That gets the spin going.

That gets the spin going.

I don't encounter too many people who are honest enough to admit a heartbeat is stopped, while still accepting the pro-abortion stance. I'd be interested to know the extensions of that.