Lottery winner on food stamps - a second look

http://consumerist.com/2011/05/18/lottery-winner-continues-to-use-food-stamps/

Remember this guy? For those not familiar with the story, he was a homeless guy who won a $1M lottery - and there's a loophole in the law where money from lottery winnings isn't calculated in determining welfare eligibility. So he continued to use his EBT card even after winning the lottery.

When I first heard about this I thought the guy was a piece of crap, however after giving a second look, I totally retract that. Basically the excuse the guy gave for continuing to use food stamps is that the state already took about $500,000 in taxes out of his winnings.

And he's right. He's already paid more in taxes than many people do in a lifetime. Even if he stayed on food stamps for the next 50 years he'd still never take more in food stamp money than he's already paid to the govt.

So in his case, I really have no problem with him using food stamps as long as he can. He's not really 'taking' anything, just taking back a mere fraction of what the state already took from him.

http://consumerist.com/2011/05/18/lottery-winner-continues-to-use-food-stamps/

Remember this guy? For those not familiar with the story, he was a homeless guy who won a $1M lottery - and there's a loophole in the law where money from lottery winnings isn't calculated in determining welfare eligibility. So he continued to use his EBT card even after winning the lottery.

When I first heard about this I thought the guy was a piece of crap, however after giving a second look, I totally retract that. Basically the excuse the guy gave for continuing to use food stamps is that the state already took about $500,000 in taxes out of his winnings.

And he's right. He's already paid more in taxes than many people do in a lifetime. Even if he stayed on food stamps for the next 50 years he'd still never take more in food stamp money than he's already paid to the govt.

So in his case, I really have no problem with him using food stamps as long as he can. He's not really 'taking' anything, just taking back a mere fraction of what the state already took from him.

Fuck you and your bullshit you liberal drone.

I say he gives back the EBT card, and gets his winnings back instead.