tariffs

i never have understood the conservative whining about tariffs. other countries place tariffs on all the $h!t we export.

why shouldn't we place tariffs on theirs? it's like we're purposely cheating ourselves in the name of a delusional "free market".

Won't work. We are a net importer.

that will reverse or even out in short time though. Tariffs will create more internal competition. So it's fine if imports drop because we won't need them

Problem is, we are a net importer. Dealing from a weak position and the general American public ain't gonna stand for higher prices.

internal competition will raise wages and create actual jobs. So higher prices won't be an issue

that will reverse or even out in short time though. Tariffs will create more internal competition. So it's fine if imports drop because we won't need them

internal competition will raise wages and create actual jobs. So higher prices won't be an issue

In 09 BO imposed a 35% tariff on China produced tires. It expired last Oct. Net result was overall industry pricing rose 18% over that time, far outpacing inflation. Tariff has expired and the prices did not come down.

The tariff was a payback to the USW, it created not a single additional union job and merely cost the consumer more. Just like most gov't attempts at market manipulation.

I think we need to abolish all taxes. It's a proven fact the nation only needs one industry, really, only one worker, Ben Bernanke. Just allow him enough significant digits to expand into, and let him buy all debt, public and private, make everybody rich, double rich for all who work, solve all our social ills, maybe free us up to war with every nation in the world that's easy to beat. We know the government runs on gobs of money that came out of nowhere, the stock market thinks this is enough, hell, 25% unemployment would bring the DOW to 20,000, just on new QE rumors. No, taxes are relics. All we need is "one nation, under Bernanke, indivisible, in any math, with libertines and justice, et al."

In 09 BO imposed a 35% tariff on China produced tires. It expired last Oct. Net result was overall industry pricing rose 18% over that time, far outpacing inflation. Tariff has expired and the prices did not come down.

The tariff was a payback to the USW, it created not a single additional union job and merely cost the consumer more. Just like most gov't attempts at market manipulation.

of course tariffs can be abused but that's because we have a pack of criminals running the nation. That's not because revenue tariffs are bad.

For all of these pro tariff folks, they need to understand that in order to do that we have to figure out how to be competitive in a world market. We were at one time, especially coming off WWII when we literally had no competition. We have competition now and we are not competing.

of course tariffs can be abused but that's because we have a pack of criminals running the nation. That's not because revenue tariffs are bad.

That is the statement of one that does not understand markets.

What's the big whup with the Chinese? If they're dumb enough to take green paper for all their quality manufactured goods, Home Depot and Walmart may as well be Asia Depot and Chinamart, already: who's to argue with that? They're choking on their pollution, probably having two-headed babies for drinking the water, to provide you a $7 toaster, and it's obvious all you need is The Bernanke, some nice, stiff green paper, with pictures of old buggers who need haircuts and killed Indians and such, and you can mesmerize the world into giving you anything. What's a trade imbalance, when you have a printing press? I look forward to the day when dollars come in double rolls! Woohoo!

I say we bring back revenue tariffs. The federal government should run off of tariffs and corporate taxes. I see this as the way America can be prosperous. What say you?

Totally agree with you on tariffs. They would go a long way in helping bring back American jobs from slave labor countries like China and Viet Nam.

The overall point is that we can't compete with slave labor. Why compete in a world.market? How have we done so far under this globalism? It's time to have internal competition again. It us a privilege for these foreign nations to sell anything in the American market. Do you think we need these other nations to survive? we are being gutted.

Ok, if you want we will actually discuss this. To your point, no, we will never compete in the low end of the market, such as shoes, cheap clothes etc. Where we can compete is in durable goods, but first we have to make product that is world class. At this point, though we are better, we are not there. I speak a lot of the automotive related as that is the business that I am in. Take tires, the most modern and efficient plants in the world are not here, they are Asian. they are producing a higher quality product at 75 cents on the dollar to US production. It isn't just labor cost, the 2 remaining pure US tire companies, Goodyear and Cooper have frikken antiquated plants in addition to non competitive labor costs.

The most modern tire plant in the US is not from a domestic company but from Japan Toyo with their plant in White Ga. they more than double Goodyears most efficient US plant with 1/3 the personnel.

The US has gotten into this cocoon of quid pro quo and no longer really understand how to compete.

Ok, Drum, how do you think it will go over when prices dramatically increase on consumer durable goods?

How do you think it's going to go over when Americans can no longer afford even the garbage that Wal-Mart sells because of the lack of good paying jobs in America? I know where your coming from gulfman but there are things that are much more important to the American people than cheap crap coming in from overseas and the ridiculous profits going the super rich.

Ok, if you want we will actually discuss this. To your point, no, we will never compete in the low end of the market, such as shoes, cheap clothes etc. Where we can compete is in durable goods, but first we have to make product that is world class. At this point, though we are better, we are not there. I speak a lot of the automotive related as that is the business that I am in. Take tires, the most modern and efficient plants in the world are not here, they are Asian. they are producing a higher quality product at 75 cents on the dollar to US production. It isn't just labor cost, the 2 remaining pure US tire companies, Goodyear and Cooper have frikken antiquated plants in addition to non competitive labor costs.

The most modern tire plant in the US is not from a domestic company but from Japan Toyo with their plant in White Ga. they more than double Goodyears most efficient US plant with 1/3 the personnel.

The US has gotten into this cocoon of quid pro quo and no longer really understand how to compete.

exactly, and internal competition will bring about superior quality.

No, it will not. It is a proven fact that if US production thinks they have a safety net they will do the minimum. that is exactly how the domestic auto industry gave the market up to the Asian manufacturers. Poor quality and overpriced.

"Do you think we need these other nations to survive?"

Seriously, guys, the genie is out of the bottle. You can't afford over a billion pissed off Chinese you allowed to flood your markets and buy your debt, who now also want to drive cars and eat beef for dinner. China and all the Chinas out there no longer need you to make anything more complex than a ceramic souvenir: you have no market for your toasters and electric screwdrivers anymore, unless you propose to sell our stuff to each other, then we're back to pissing off the Chinese, who may not react kindly to economic warfare. Like all the unnecessary energy dependency, for stupid policies to benefit a few rich CEOs who bought the politicians, that America of yesterday is gone, and we're so in debt the numbers can never be paid back, ever. Before you see the post-WWII prosperity, ever again, you're going to see a collapse, WWIII, etc. May as well not kid ourselves. Tariffs aren't going to put any genie back in the bottle, and the horses are all long out of the starting gates. No empire endures, in the whole of human history. Capisce?

No, it will not. It is a proven fact that if US production thinks they have a safety net they will do the minimum. that is exactly how the domestic auto industry gave the market up to the Asian manufacturers. Poor quality and overpriced.

Are you blaming the American workers for the profit minded changes the exec's made to the American auto industry? These are the people who made the changes that degraded the quality of our vehicles, not the production line workers.

I blame both of em drum. The union was greedy, mgmt was greedy and none of them saw a superior less expensive product eating their ass.

A UAW member makes $63.000 a year, plus retirement and medical, how is that in any way greedy in todays market gulfman?

63000 is too damned much for screwing a nut on a bolt. The old 50's auto worker is dead and buried. Hell prior to the last strike I was a negotiator in with the USW for Goodyear, the average worker was paid right at 52 an hour with bennies. You could take a guy off the street, train him for two weeks and he could do the job.

After that last devastating strike to the USW, they now have a two tier wage, now starting is 13 an hour rather than 27 an hour.

The days of a semi skilled worker making a good living are over, just the facts of life. IN todays world you bring skills to the table or you are not gonna have a very good life. Joey Lunchbucket days are over.

It's as if you've got this notion some tax policies can solve a global, macro economic situation that was decades in the making. It's like you think you should maybe put Andy of Mayberry back on TV and small town America will come back, when nobody wants to watch that stuff, when people want nudity, brains splattering against the walls in living color, i.e., they don't even want to pay $25 for that Mom and Pop store toaster, no matter how furiously you wave that plastic, Chinese flag (yes, take a look at where all the patriotic-ware comes from), when they can get the $7 one at Walmart, and you start putting duties on everything and the world will no longer buy what little squat they still do from you. Shoot! You're own corporations will leave the American market! In a way, they already have, with the complete blessings and support of the majority of the voting American public. And America loves Walmart! When's the last time you could get more than a handful of whackjobs, with tea bags hanging in their eyes, to protest anything like the fact you may not find anything significant made in America at most stores? I've been pissed off about the writing on the wall for 20 years that's come home to roost, and still you can't find enough people to fill a bus that care. Most people wouldn't be concerned about the apocalypse, as long as it didn't interrupt Dancing with the Stars or Monday Night Football. Lots of luck with your tariffs!

I never said.don't allow foreign goods. I want an even playing field at home. If American auto can't hack it, then fine but let it be even. That's fair competition

I say we bring back revenue tariffs. The federal government should run off of tariffs and corporate taxes. I see this as the way America can be prosperous. What say you?

We should probably wait until we EXPORT more than we IMPORT then throw ti up for discussion but in gerneral terms, free trade is much more beneficial, assuming both countries are on equal footing.