Put your damn phone away for 2 damn hours

I was at the movies today, and some 20ish woman 3 rows ahead of me kept holding up her phone every 5 minutes and checking her messages. Every...5...minutes. It lit up 2 whole rows of seats and was like a spotlight in the theater. I finally got tired of the nonsense and asked her to please stop doing that since it was very distracting.

WTF is wrong with us? We have to be on some electronic device every minute? You can't put the damn thing away for a MOVIE? I pay good money to see a movie, not a effing lighthouse in the seats.

The movie was that Earth flick with Will Smith and his son, it was a mixed bag...some of it was really good, with an innovative story and excellent special effects...good direction and acting..but it tended to plod along, with long periods of dialogue, flashbacks and character development. I kept fidgeting, pining for some action. I realize it's important to flesh out characters and provide some context, but you can carry it too far. Never let the audience get bored. Keep the action going, keep the tension high.

I'd give the movie a mild thumbs up, worth renting, but I wouldn't spend 10 bucks on it.

I was at the movies today, and some 20ish woman 3 rows ahead of me kept holding up her phone every 5 minutes and checking her messages. Every...5...minutes. It lit up 2 whole rows of seats and was like a spotlight in the theater. I finally got tired of the nonsense and asked her to please stop doing that since it was very distracting.

WTF is wrong with us? We have to be on some electronic device every minute? You can't put the damn thing away for a MOVIE? I pay good money to see a movie, not a effing lighthouse in the seats.

The movie was that Earth flick with Will Smith and his son, it was a mixed bag...some of it was really good, with an innovative story and excellent special effects...good direction and acting..but it tended to plod along, with long periods of dialogue, flashbacks and character development. I kept fidgeting, pining for some action. I realize it's important to flesh out characters and provide some context, but you can carry it too far. Never let the audience get bored. Keep the action going, keep the tension high.

I'd give the movie a mild thumbs up, worth renting, but I wouldn't spend 10 bucks on it.

people are sick with these fkn phones now days...its getting to be an epidemic

I refuse to have one. the brain is like a muscle. if you dont use it, it gets weak.

A cellphone is useful, but there are times when making yourself unavailable, and disconnecting from the electronic matrix, is necessary and essential to good mental health. no one NEEDS a cellphone, no one NEEDS to be in contact and accessible 24 hrs a day. Not even a doctor.

I was at the movies today, and some 20ish woman 3 rows ahead of me kept holding up her phone every 5 minutes and checking her messages. Every...5...minutes. It lit up 2 whole rows of seats and was like a spotlight in the theater.

I'd suggest we were in the same theatre, but in our case, it was a 40ish woman, and added to the light was the constant buzzing from her vibrate setting.

I offered to throw my shoe at her, but Hubs thought we'd get thrown out and we were really enjoying the movie (ST:Into Darkness in 3D).

Plus, they were summer sandals. Wouldn't have been as effective as my heavy winter boots.

people are sick with these fkn phones now days...its getting to be an epidemic

I refuse to have one. the brain is like a muscle. if you dont use it, it gets weak.

Oh come on now. We know you can't afford one on your burger flipping salary but just get an Obama phone bro!

A cellphone is useful, but there are times when making yourself unavailable, and disconnecting from the electronic matrix, is necessary and essential to good mental health. no one NEEDS a cellphone, no one NEEDS to be in contact and accessible 24 hrs a day. Not even a doctor.

I can go along with this. In most cases, it's a want. I have a cell phone, Android, one of those monthly "plans". Ninety percent of the time it's my alarm clock. Otherwise I throw it in the ashtray of my truck in case I have to use it. I invested in the Android for the sole purpose of recording law enforcement on that chance encounter.

When I was in ND a cell phone was definitely a need in regards to work. When I got back to the camper, called the wife, then put it up. On the one, mebbe two days out of the week that I wasn't working, I turned it off except for long enough to call the wife.

Generally speaking though, people who take their cell phones into movie theaters and leave them on, suck asscancer.

You try living without one now-a-days, a big pain in the @$$....

If you go out in public don't expect respect from anybody...those days are long gone in the tidal wave of immorality pushed by dumb liberals like yourself.

I'm a Liberal and the ONLY time I have a Cell Phone active and on me...is a LONG Out of State trip....so...SELDOM. Phones...ain't ideology.

I'm a LIB...if you have not noticed and on average...I may spend no more than 5 min on a phone most weeks.

I'm a Liberal and the ONLY time I have a Cell Phone active and on me...is a LONG Out of State trip....so...SELDOM. Phones...ain't ideology.

I'm a LIB...if you have not noticed and on average...I may spend no more than 5 min on a phone most weeks.

Well gee...that's just swell. Thanks for sharing. :huh:

Cell phone jamming technology is in its infancy.

cc

In some watn Syria...we could. However...doing it SELECTIVELY...is more complicated. For private citizens.... it's pretty unlikely as I think it would be regarded as a crime...and it would get traced. I guess if someone WANTED they might ...short term...jam cells in a limited area but....the stunt would serve little purpose and the culprit would be caught...turned over to the mob and gutted alive. As bitchy as folks are about guns...imagine someone messing with their cell phones.

Well gee...that's just swell. Thanks for sharing. :huh:

suck it.

You should have walked up to her grabbed the phone threw it on the floor and stopped on it

Nope. Politeness is always the best method.

there are handheld cellphone jammers, DHGate carries them for around $40. (careful with DHgate, know what you're buying and read the ads and reviews carefully) Reviewers say they work, but some phones at some freq are immune, and they're only effective up to around 20 ft.. And they burn up batteries fast while in use..

As a side note: We have black boxes that can jam the signals the insurgents used in Iraq to trigger IEDS, but we didn't issue them except in a few rare cases, probably to field test them..

The military were scared that enemy might steal or otherwise acquire them and use them to jam the special GPS signals that guide our cruise missiles. several islamist fighters were killed in the Afghan mountains and found to be in possession of one. Also, while the boxes could jam cellphone detonator signals, it also interfered with our communications in convoys.

You try living without one now-a-days, a big pain in the @$$....

hardly.

the biggest pain in the ass is listening to my boss cry about not being able to get a hold of me at will (to convey every single stupid fkn idea that goes through his empty head.)

I'm doing just fine thank you very much