Chicago's gun crime/murder rate: Down dramatically

"Conservative conspiracists such as Rush Limbaugh claim Democratic politicians, including Chicago's mayor Rahm Emanuel, want the city's murder rate to remain high so they can use the killings to advocate for stronger gun laws.

But mostly, firearm defenders simply ridicule Chicago's murder count. "Slaughter in Gun Control Chicago," blogged Fox News contributor Katie Pavlich in the wake of last weekend's gun attacks, while a Breitbart writer on Monday insisted city officials had "little to show" for their efforts to curb violence.

But note what these commentators are careful not to mention while using the killings to make a political point: They didn't mention that homicides in "Gun Control Chicago" are down dramatically this year; a trend that undermines the attack that the Second City stands as the ultimate symbol of gun enforcement failure.

In early May, the Chicago Police Department released figures indicating the city marked a 43 percent decline in the number of murders over the first four months of this year, as compared to the same period last year. For the first quarter of this year, Chicago registered 93 murders, its lowest January-to-April tally since 1963.

Then this month came news that Chicago experienced a 31 percent decrease in shootings for the month of May, which meant that through May of this year the city's murder count had declined 34 percent from last year. Chicago homicides still outnumber those in larger cities, such as New York and Los Angeles; it suffers from weaker gun laws in both its home state and surrounding states than those two cities, allowing criminals easier access to guns purchased elsewhere'

Media matters.

Good job; perhaps it will hit the below 500 level this year.

Aside from the murders, DC has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.

Marion Barry

it suffers from weaker gun laws

I see, weaker gun laws; well, let's pass more gun laws.

And what kind of Barack-Obama-Water-Gun.jpg a message is Obama sending?

Good go, Chicago! We're rooting for you!

Actually, no, you aren't. You're doing the exact opposite. You're cheering every murder. And lying about the gun crime/murder rate.

That's what the OP is about, but I know..you only read the headline if a progressive posts, whereas you parse every word when a con posts.

Any explanation for the declining murder rate?

It's in the article.

Concealed Carry Coming To Illinois, Gang Capital Chicago

Guns: An Illinois court has ruled that the Second Amendment means what it says and has ordered the state legislature to adopt a law by June that lets citizens bear arms in self-defense, not just keep them.

On Feb. 22, a 5-4 majority of the 10-member U.S. Seventh Court of Appeals upheld the Dec. 11 decision, which had been rendered by a three-member panel, to address absurdity and inconsistency of Illinois gun laws that allowed ownership of a firearm, but not the right to carry it outside the home. In other words, the "right to keep but not to bear arms."

Because of the decision, Illinois must join the majority of states that have enacted right-to-carry laws.

In the December opinion, Judge Richard Posner wrote that "a Chicagoan is a good deal more likely to be attacked on a sidewalk in a rough neighborhood than in his apartment on the 35th floor of the Park Tower.

Furthermore, Judge Posner wrote, "To confine the right to be armed to the home is to divorce the Second Amendment from the right of self-defense described in Heller and McDonald."

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/030113-646472-in-victory-for-gun-rights-court-requires-illinois-to-allow-concealed-weapons.htm#ixzz2WfreKlW5

Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Actually, no, you aren't. You're doing the exact opposite. You're cheering every murder. And lying about the gun crime/murder rate.

That's what the OP is about, but I know..you only read the headline if a progressive posts, whereas you parse every word when a con posts.

It's in the article.

MORE GUN LAWS

Judge Richard Posner wrote that "a Chicagoan is a good deal more likely to be attacked on a sidewalk in a rough neighborhood than in his apartment on the 35th floor of the Park Tower.

Well, I can see why the guy is a judge. Less likely to be attacked in your locked apartment than on the sidewalk. Who woulda thought?

Congrats to Chicago, only 93 people have been murdered so far this hear. Those "weak" gun laws are sure working.

Well yeah; but they don't appear to be working for the 93 who were gunned down.

It's in the article.

Imagine cheering for a murder rate of 100 people in 3 months... wow.

Any explanation for the declining murder rate?

1) They've moved hundreds of cops from admin duties to street work

2) They've flooded high-crime areas with additional patrols

3) They've worked hard to provide safe havens and neutral zones to hamper gang activity

4) There was an unusually cold and wet spring

5) They've started to apply the state RICO Act equivalent to arrest and prosecute not just street gangsters, but the leaderships of the gangs to which they belong.

hey golfboy:

Imagine lying about the Chicago murder rate being at an all time shy high level, when it's actually dramatically down.

Imagine cheering a cities murder rate, to shill for the NRA.

Imagine lying about the countries deficit, then not being man enuf to admit it when you're caught, huh Golfy?

3) They've worked hard to provide safe havens and neutral zones to hamper gang activity

5) They've started to apply the state RICO Act equivalent to arrest and prosecute not just street gangsters, but the leaderships of the gangs to which they belong.

There are Federal Mandatory Minimums that can also be applied (That they have not been doing) that would put the bad actors away for years at a time....

Also the dubious honor of cutting your murder rate to that of the 1960's and yet still remaining one of the deadliest cities in the USA is progress but still a demonstration of liberal ideals and gun laws that don't work.

This all sounds good to me. I'd especially like to commend the government for its control of the weather.

There are Federal Mandatory Minimums that can also be applied (That they have not been doing) that would put the bad actors away for years at a time....

Why haven't thy been applying them, do you think?

You're cheering every murder.

You got me all wrong!! Actually I have zero vested interest in what they're doing in Chicago. I feel sorry for the people who have to live in the sections of town where that crap is going on...

This all sounds good to me. I'd especially like to commend the government for its control of the weather.

Why haven't thy been applying them, do you think?

If LAWS are applied and actually WORK......how you going to get more laws passed (IE transfer more power to the cortupt government ?

If we SOLVED poverty and Racism.......What would the Race baiters and welfare peddlers do then?

If LAWS are applied and actually WORK......how you going to get more laws passed (IE transfer more power to the cortupt government ?

If we SOLVED poverty and Racism.......What would the Race baiters and welfare peddlers do then?

If it's true that Chicago authorities have been acting incompetently on purpose, I fear I haven't been giving them enough credit.

hey golfboy:

Imagine lying about the Chicago murder rate being at an all time shy high level, when it's actually dramatically down.

Imagine cheering a cities murder rate, to shill for the NRA.

Imagine lying about the countries deficit, then not being man enuf to admit it when you're caught, huh Golfy?

Down or not, I don't see it sitting well with the people who were murdered. Just me. Oh yeah, again, it's unlikely the crimes were committed by legal gun owners; but we won't go there.

If it's true that Chicago authorities have been acting incompetently on purpose, I fear I haven't been giving them enough credit.

Laffin. listening to the right here on LF, you'd think Chicago had the highest murder rate in the world. So there's goes that premise, that gun laws "don't work".

Is there a problem in Chicago? Gang bangers, drug dopes, and just plain dopes shooting each other. I see no problem. After the Rodney King riots I bought an M-14, Browning High Power and thousands of rounds. I moved into a rural part of the state. No gunfire, police and ambulance sirens, car alarms, gangbangers and other annoyances. Life is quiet and serene. Chicago deserves what it has. Detroit deserves what it has. I hope the carnage goes on. Welfare creeps and criminals killing each other. Is there a problem?