Citizens are fighting back against the multinationals.

Huge protests ongoing in Turkey and Brazil.

Not, however, in the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

It's a pity there won't be any in America.

'Standing man' protests are going viral across Turkey in a silent show of resistance amidst violent government raids on the country's expanding uprisings.

It started with one man who stood silently in Turkey's embattled Taksim Square Monday, facing the Ataturk Cultural Center which is cloaked in Turkish flags and images of Kemal Ataturk.

Performance artist Erdem Gunduz stood with his hands in his pockets in the ground zero of clashes, defying government orders to clear the park of protesters, part of the violent crackdowns led by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan that have left four dead and over 7,500 injured.

When reporters asked him why he stood, Gunduz responded, "It's evident. The people are not being allowed into Taksim."

Soon Gunduz was joined by others, who took up post around him.

The crowd swelled to hundreds as the hours past, and the silent protesters slowly filled the square. After eight hours, over 300 stood motionlessly in the night darkness.

At two in the morning police broke up the show of resistance. Ten people who refused to budge from their silent memorial were hauled off to jail...

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/06/18-2

and Brazil

I traveled to Brazil last September to investigate the preparations for the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics. It was painfully evident that the social disruption of hosting two mega-events in rapid succession would be profound. Everyone with whom I spoke in the community of social movements agreed that these sports extravaganzas were being constructed on the backs of workers and the poor. Everyone agreed that the spending priorities for stadiums, security, and all attendant infrastructure were monstrous given the health and education needs of the Brazilian people. Everyone agreed that the deficits incurred would be balanced on the backs of the workers. What people disagreed upon was whether anybody would do anything about it.

Most argued that the country had become too apathetic. After six years of economic growth, which followed 30 years of stagnation, people were content and wouldn’t protest. The ruling Worker’s Party was generally popular and as soon as the countdown to the World Cup actually began, all would be washed away in a sea of green, yellow and blue flags bearing the country’s slogan, “Order and progress.” Others argued that statistics showing rising wealth and general quiescence actually masked a much deeper discontent. As Professor Marcos Alvido said to me, “Statistics are like a mankini (a Brazilian speedo that men wear). They show so much but they hide the most important part." That "most important part" was the analysis that Brazil was simmering and the lid could stay on the pot for only so long.

The pot has officially boiled over as hundreds of thousands of people marched in at least ten cities this week. The financial capital of Sao Paolo was brought to a standstill. The political capital, Brasilia, saw protestors climb onto the roof of the national congress. In Rio, several thousand marched on legendary Maracana Stadium, the epicenter of the 2016 Summer Olympics, at the start of the Confederations Cup. As fans cheered inside, there were gassings and beatings on the outside. While sports journalists recorded the action on the field, reporters in the streets were shot with rubber bullets, and are now alleging that they were targeted. This has been referred to as the “salad uprising” after a journalist was arrested for having vinegar in his backpack (vinegar is a way to ward off the worst effects of tear gas.) Now vinegar is carried openly and in solidarity.

There are numerous factors driving people into the streets but the back-breaking piece of straw that crystallized the discontent was a 20-cent fare hike for public transportation. The country is investing billions in tourist infrastructure and paying for it by bleeding out workers on their daily commute. It was too much...

From http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/06/18-6

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do we want?

We don't know!

When do we want it?

Now!

Occupy and other anti globalist movements have a real hard time coming up with a comprehensible grievance. Poverty sucks, the poor are envious of the rich. industry must be balanced with conservation, student loans are high, GMOs are not labeled.... .Pick a reason.

i love how liberals switch out words when they don't fit the modern PC agenda. "progressive" is now the code word for communist.

"multinational" is now the code word for "international jew". the ironic part is, the protesters, in fighting against the syrian, turkish,

egyptian governments; are actually fighting on the side of the "multinationalists".

What do we want?

We don't know!

When do we want it?

Now!

Occupy and other anti globalist movements have a real hard time coming up with a comprehensible grievance. Poverty sucks, the poor are envious of the rich. industry must be balanced with conservation, student loans are high, GMOs are not labeled.... .Pick a reason.

Spring Break pretty much killed the much-ballyhooed Occupy Movement. Raise gasoline prices to $8 a gallon and shut off Cable and you might have something in this country.

Good link. The brazilians, like the french, have balls to stand up to their government - unlike us yanks.

That bill was going to pass, according to a brazilian acquaintance of mine. The protests killed it dead - and much corruption with it. The brazilians saw steady reforms under Lula, but they want more and faster. I have not kept track of this recent gal, though I imagine she is center left, just like Lula was.

There is a really odd dynamic when you try to change a nation the size of brazil. Go too fast, you wreck the ship; go too slow, and you get rebellion. I hope they find their equilibrium.

I can tell you this: Hosting the world cup and the olympics back to back, and diverting billions to do it - THAT is gonna cause HUGE demands from the people. When they see you blowing money on that, they ask, "What about the actual PEOPLE?"

Retardocons and other pedophiles have been programed by their owners to react badly to the notion of social justice. But Brazil is going to have to increase the level of social justice there, if the current government is to survive. The brazilians are about done waiting - and they are a folk with balls.

What would you call the tea party movement?

You libs need to look closer into what we stand for and stop believing the lies meant to discredit us.

Don't be knee jerk. Don't follow the orders of what your masters want you to think.

Think about how peoples movements are always discredited by the powers that be.

Good link. The brazilians, like the french, have balls to stand up to their government - unlike us yanks.

That bill was going to pass, according to a brazilian acquaintance of mine. The protests killed it dead - and much corruption with it. The brazilians saw steady reforms under Lula, but they want more and faster. I have not kept track of this recent gal, though I imagine she is center left, just like Lula was.

There is a really odd dynamic when you try to change a nation the size of brazil. Go too fast, you wreck the ship; go too slow, and you get rebellion. I hope they find their equilibrium.

I can tell you this: Hosting the world cup and the olympics back to back, and diverting billions to do it - THAT is gonna cause HUGE demands from the people. When they see you blowing money on that, they ask, "What about the actual PEOPLE?"

Retardocons and other pedophiles have been programed by their owners to react badly to the notion of social justice. But Brazil is going to have to increase the level of social justice there, if the current government is to survive. The brazilians are about done waiting - and they are a folk with balls.

Brazilians are the next revered people? I don't know why exactly. Where do you find out about this stuff?

The list always has Americans at the bottom so at least that part is easy. That moving target at top is tough.

If the Tea Party wants liberals' attention, one of its members should take a crap on a car.

See. That's not fair. As wrongheaded as I think many in the occupy movement were. Many also had decent beliefs that should be respected.

But as happens when power is threatened they choose to find fringe element and demonize them. Example: Some racist shows up at a tea party rally and they use that to brand all of us.

Another trick they use is to infiltrate and take over a movement to change it into something unacceptable. The communists infiltrated occupy and the social conservatives infiltrated the tea party.

But the heart of both the tea party and occupy (if not the approach) are united.

Citizens are fighting back against the multinationals.

Huge protests ongoing in Turkey and Brazil.

Not, however, in the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

It's a pity there won't be any in America.

They're protesting against repression, high taxes, corruption and lousy services, moonbat.

I.E. against the government.

Like the Tea Party did, which you despise.

You moonbats are hopelessly clueless.

Lula governed like a conservative, moonbat.

He slashed spending so the government could stop printing money, and inflation fell.

And obviously you know almost nothing about Brazilians, because they're very passive in response to government corruption and mal-governance generally.

They're protesting against repression, high taxes, corruption and lousy services, moonbat.

I.E. against the government.

Like the Tea Party did, which you despise.

You moonbats are hopelessly clueless.

Lula governed like a conservative, moonbat.

He slashed spending so the government could stop printing money, and inflation fell.

And obviously you know almost nothing about Brazilians, because they're very passive in response to government corruption and mal-governance generally.

I honestly think contrecoup is a thinking individual who is opening to being independent of groupthink. He's still using innaccurate sources that shape his opinions, but I think, with the right chance to seek out information on his own, he will open to seeing more of the light.

I don't think a combative approach is the way to go with him. Respect the fact that if you've received wrong information all you life, would you appreciate being attacked as being dumb. Or would you believe you are in fact making the right assumptions based on the information you think is fact.

I honestly think contrecoup is a thinking individual who is opening to being independent of groupthink. He's still using innaccurate sources that shape his opinions, but I think, with the right chance to seek out information on his own, he will open to seeing more of the light.

I don't think a combative approach is the way to go with him. Respect the fact that if you've received wrong information all you life, would you appreciate being attacked as being dumb. Or would you believe you are in fact making the right assumptions based on the information you think is fact.

I haven't seen a glimmer of hope he'll ever see the light.

And I originally was rather polite to him, for naught.

What would you call the tea party movement?

You libs need to look closer into what we stand for and stop believing the lies meant to discredit us.

Don't be knee jerk. Don't follow the orders of what your masters want you to think.

Think about how peoples movements are always discredited by the powers that be.

Respectfully, please read http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brendan-demelle/study-confirms-tea-party-_b_2663125.html and get back to me.

cc

There's another article at http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/17218-pepper-spray-rubber-bullets-and-irs-questionnaireshttp://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/17218-pepper-spray-rubber-bullets-and-irs-questionnaires

It reenforces the point that oppression is a relative term, and that while the tea party is whining about being forced to conform to the laws regarding who qualifies for tax-exempt status,

OWS was the target of a Federally-coordinated, paramilitary-style hit.

Just for fun,...

Who do you think the power elites fear more: the tea party, or OWS?

Also, please read http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brendan-demelle/study-confirms-tea-party-_b_2663125.html

cc

There's another article at http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/17218-pepper-spray-rubber-bullets-and-irs-questionnaireshttp://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/17218-pepper-spray-rubber-bullets-and-irs-questionnaires

It reenforces the point that oppression is a relative term, and that while the tea party is whining about being forced to conform to the laws regarding who qualifies for tax-exempt status,

OWS was the target of a Federally-coordinated, paramilitary-style hit.

Just for fun,...

Who do you think the power elites fear more: the tea party, or OWS?

Also, please read http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brendan-demelle/study-confirms-tea-party-_b_2663125.html

cc

Which one is more feared now, or at each of the two's beginnings?

Which one is more feared now, or at each of the two's beginnings?

The tee-hatters are a Koch Brothers' funded clown show. A plastic rifle does not a tuff guy make.

OWS scared the shit out of the ruling class.

That's why it was crushed.

By the state. At the behest of the corporations. If the tee-hatters scared the RC, it would be gone too.

If the crushing of OWS doesn't scare you, you're brain dead.

cc

OWS scared the shit out of the ruling class.

That's why it was crushed.

I love psychotic moonbat humor. A smattering of wackjob demonsterators scares the ruling class? :D

No, the Tea Party and bipartisan reformers like Sarah Palin scare the crap out of them, which is why Democrats smeared her and tried to personally ruin her.

Why Beltway Repubs belittled her behind her back.