How much does it really cost to raise a kid?

Well according to Wikipedia, the average cost of raising just 1 kid from age 1 to 18 is $1,800 a month.

Think about it. What would you need to live comfortably on your own, and even support 1 kid?

Let's say I was a single man, and my own monthly expenses (rent, food, bills, gas, and 'luxuries' such as martial arts school or the occasional beer) totaled $2,000 a month (let's assume I rent a cheap studio apartment for close to $500 a month, and own an older used car in decent condition, paid off in cash). I'd also of course like to be able to save a little each month to prepare for the unexpected, so each month I save $500. That'd mean for me to live alone, I'd need $2500 a month (or $30,000 a year, after taxes).

Now let's say I'm married or dating a woman, we move in together, and have 1 kid. I'd have to add $1,800 a month in extra expenses just for the kid alone. But that's not all. If we're living together we'd have to upgrade to a larger residence - let's say a 2 bedroom apartment for $1,500 a month. That's another $1000 tacked on right there. In this scenario, let's just say my woman works a part-time job on the side, and is able to pay for all of her own personal expenses (ex. her share of food, electricity, gas, etc) separate from mine.

So with a generous estimate, I'd need about $5,300 a month income just to support 1 kid, and have about $500 in savings each month for emergencies. Or about $63,600 annual income - after taxes. Meaning my income before taxes'd have to be in the vicinity of $75-80,000.

Rough math aside, my point's been made. Unless you're making $70,000-80,000 a year - you can't afford to have even 1 kid, let alone 2, 3, 4, or

, Unless your thing is working the graveyard shift 60-80 hours a week, while your wife works a 2nd job at Walmart and even then being in constant fear of not being able to have food for your kids on the table at the end of the month, or not being able to come up with that rent or mortgage money.

Hey if masochism's your thing then, hell have 50 kids with 50 different baby momma's, and voluntarily indenture yourself for the rest of your life, and let the state provide for all your little bastards. But what kind of life is that really, and what kind of life is that for the kids either? The reason people are in the mess they are in these economic times is because we have people making $18,000 a year at Walmart popping out 3-4 kids who're just going to be raised by the state, with little or no opportunity for advancement in life. And I won't even get into overpopulation, because that's a whole different story right there.

Don't want to sound like a misanthrope here, but the sad reality is that having kids is overrated, and in these economic times people need to learn to adapt, This isn't the era of Ward Cleaver - anyone making less than $70,000-80,000 a year who has even 1 child is making a mistake (from a pure statistical POV anyway).

Depends what your lifestyle is like average I would say is 12 grand a year

Close enough. And how much do you think the average parent makes? A guy working min wage at McDonald's full time might be lucky to make 18 grand a year. So assuming the poor SOB only has 1 kid (not 2, or 3, or 10), that leaves him about 6,000 left over. How easy do you think it'd be to live on $6,000 a year for yourself?

For that matter, does the baby momma who's popped out 3 kids with 3 different fathers and works 20 hours a week at Burger King while supplimenting her meager income with food stamps even make $12,000 a year net income? Not likely.

That's the whole point. You could probably lease a 2013 Corvette for less than the cost of raising a kid. If leasing a $60,000 luxury car (let alone 2, or 3, or more) wouldn't be a smart move for someone making $17,000 a year working at Walmart, then neither is having a kid - from a statistical POV anyway.

Google "cost to lease a corvette". A person with excellent credit leasing a 2013 Corvette on no down payment could get monthly payments as low as about $1100 - about 700 less than it costs to raise one kid. And Corvettes don't cry and poop either.

So what's your point?

Poor people having kids is the reason they're poor. I'd recommend that poor people not have children unless they can afford them on their own income. There's no virtue in having a kid that's just going to be raised by welfare- plus it's not an ideal life for parents to have to work like slaves just in hopes that they'll be able to have food on the table, pay rent, medical bills, etc - it's just a stressful and fulfilling environment for all invovled.

I'm not against having a kid, but I refuse to have one until my income situation allows me to do so all on my own income. I don't make $70,000-80,000 grand a year (at least, not yet). I'd recommend that others do the the same, rather than this trend of high school kids who're too dumb or lazy to slip on a condom knocking each other up when their only source of income is a part time job at Wendy's, if even that. It creates generations of poverty - that's why the black and hispanic communities are in such bad shape - more than 50% of black or hispanic teen girls get pregnant before the age of 20. And their kids are just going to follow in their footsteps and create a whole new generation of welfare brood.

I actually know a dude in real life who quit his job, has no car, and lives with his parents - and he told me he's trying to have a kid with his girlfriend. Pretty sickening.

Poor people having kids is the reason they're poor. I'd recommend that poor people not have children unless they can afford them on their own income. There's no virtue in having a kid that's just going to be raised by welfare- plus it's not an ideal life for parents to have to work like slaves just in hopes that they'll be able to have food on the table, pay rent, medical bills, etc - it's just a stressful and fulfilling environment for all invovled.

I'm not against having a kid, but I refuse to have one until my income situation allows me to do so all on my own income. I don't make $70,000-80,000 grand a year (at least, not yet). I'd recommend that others do the the same, rather than this trend of high school kids who're too dumb or lazy to slip on a condom knocking each other up when their only source of income is a part time job at Wendy's, if even that. It creates generations of poverty - that's why the black and hispanic communities are in such bad shape - more than 50% of black or hispanic teen girls get pregnant before the age of 20. And their kids are just going to follow in their footsteps and create a whole new generation of welfare brood.

I actually know a dude in real life who quit his job, has no car, and lives with his parents - and he told me he's trying to have a kid with his girlfriend. Pretty sickening.

I had a poor guy(employee) owe child support on NINE kids...... all with different mothers. He also was supposed to supply health insurance too.....Which of course he couldn't afford with the child support taken out. On one hand I felt bad for him when e worked all week and got a $9 paycheck but..... ultimately he caused his situation....

I had a poor guy(employee) owe child support on NINE kids...... all with different mothers. He also was supposed to supply health insurance too.....Which of course he couldn't afford with the child support taken out. On one hand I felt bad for him when e worked all week and got a $9 paycheck but..... ultimately he caused his situation....

Makes China's 1-child policy almost look good.

Well according to Wikipedia, the average cost of raising just 1 kid from age 1 to 18 is $1,800 a month.

Think about it. What would you need to live comfortably on your own, and even support 1 kid?

Let's say I was a single man, and my own monthly expenses (rent, food, bills, gas, and 'luxuries' such as martial arts school or the occasional beer) totaled $2,000 a month (let's assume I rent a cheap studio apartment for close to $500 a month, and own an older used car in decent condition, paid off in cash). I'd also of course like to be able to save a little each month to prepare for the unexpected, so each month I save $500. That'd mean for me to live alone, I'd need $2500 a month (or $30,000 a year, after taxes).

Now let's say I'm married or dating a woman, we move in together, and have 1 kid. I'd have to add $1,800 a month in extra expenses just for the kid alone. But that's not all. If we're living together we'd have to upgrade to a larger residence - let's say a 2 bedroom apartment for $1,500 a month. That's another $1000 tacked on right there. In this scenario, let's just say my woman works a part-time job on the side, and is able to pay for all of her own personal expenses (ex. her share of food, electricity, gas, etc) separate from mine.

So with a generous estimate, I'd need about $5,300 a month income just to support 1 kid, and have about $500 in savings each month for emergencies. Or about $63,600 annual income - after taxes. Meaning my income before taxes'd have to be in the vicinity of $75-80,000.

Rough math aside, my point's been made. Unless you're making $70,000-80,000 a year - you can't afford to have even 1 kid, let alone 2, 3, 4, or

, Unless your thing is working the graveyard shift 60-80 hours a week, while your wife works a 2nd job at Walmart and even then being in constant fear of not being able to have food for your kids on the table at the end of the month, or not being able to come up with that rent or mortgage money.

Hey if masochism's your thing then, hell have 50 kids with 50 different baby momma's, and voluntarily indenture yourself for the rest of your life, and let the state provide for all your little bastards. But what kind of life is that really, and what kind of life is that for the kids either? The reason people are in the mess they are in these economic times is because we have people making $18,000 a year at Walmart popping out 3-4 kids who're just going to be raised by the state, with little or no opportunity for advancement in life. And I won't even get into overpopulation, because that's a whole different story right there.

Don't want to sound like a misanthrope here, but the sad reality is that having kids is overrated, and in these economic times people need to learn to adapt, This isn't the era of Ward Cleaver - anyone making less than $70,000-80,000 a year who has even 1 child is making a mistake (from a pure statistical POV anyway).

And this is why those who screech against abortion are morons.

The cost of raising a child varies wildly depending on how much you do yourself, and how much you rely on Government to do for you.

So, it's cheaper if you rely on public assistance - and that is your argument for poverty-stricken illiterates being forced to carry to term?

You're an idiot.

And Corvettes don't cry and poop either.

Matter of opinion.

Close enough. And how much do you think the average parent makes? A guy working min wage at McDonald's full time might be lucky to make 18 grand a year. So assuming the poor SOB only has 1 kid (not 2, or 3, or 10), that leaves him about 6,000 left over. How easy do you think it'd be to live on $6,000 a year for yourself?

For that matter, does the baby momma who's popped out 3 kids with 3 different fathers and works 20 hours a week at Burger King while supplimenting her meager income with food stamps even make $12,000 a year net income? Not likely.

That's the whole point. You could probably lease a 2013 Corvette for less than the cost of raising a kid. If leasing a $60,000 luxury car (let alone 2, or 3, or more) wouldn't be a smart move for someone making $17,000 a year working at Walmart, then neither is having a kid - from a statistical POV anyway.

Google "cost to lease a corvette". A person with excellent credit leasing a 2013 Corvette on no down payment could get monthly payments as low as about $1100 - about 700 less than it costs to raise one kid. And Corvettes don't cry and poop either.

Wikisucks isn't my first reference (actually hardly ever) so that throws you credibility with me out the window. That said, I don't want kids and have never regretted the choice. My luck, and a lot of it is luck, would be in the nature versus nurture department. My career choice, based on kids getting in the way of an education, would be slowed a bit and consequently stuck in shitty neighborhoods and schools, I'd end up with shitty ghetto rat little motherfuckers. It wouldn't be their fault directly that they have limited choices as well as me. My desire to pull out of my crap childhood to elevate myself would be stalled. The kids would be stalled. We'd all hate each other for being a drag or being born at all.

My early death from excessive drinking and smoking (habits that hopefully my accursed family ignore for their own sake) leaves nothing behind but stained broken furniture "borrowed" from my sullen parents and car payments on a Volare that I sold parts from over the last year of its life. We call it the "cat house" because has feral cats and because it bookends the real one at the other end of the block.

-or-

I'm happy with no bills or resentful family ties.

One's own adult lifetime is they raise society's children for ancestry to ignore what real is in plain sight each generation of another lifetime added to this atmosphere never the same results twice, now..

So, where does everything change details? yesterday, today, tomorrow, or this instant nothing of substance remains the same as before or since added currently?