14 Yr Old Could Spend A Year In Jail!

14-year-old wears NRA t-shirt to school, winds up facing a year in jail

Published by: Robert Laurie on Sunday June 16th, 2013RLauriebiopic65x65.jpg

By ROBERT LAURIE - Police gone wild...

c3ee3d12dfjared.jpg

If you live in scenic Logan County West Virginia, you should know that your out-of-control police and judges are willing to arrest and prosecute 14-year-olds if they're wearing the wrong t-shirt. That's the lesson being learned by middle-schooler Jared Marcum, who was suspended, and subsequently arrested, after refusing to remove the NRA t-shirt he wore to class.

051d6d9deatshirt24n-1-web.jpg

Back in April, Jared was in line for lunch when a teacher spotted his shirt. It read "NRA - Protect Your Rights" and featured a drawing of a .308 caliber semi-automatic rifle. The outraged "educator" gave him three options.

Since it's just a t-shirt, all three of Jared's choices were ridiculous:

A: Turn the shirt inside out
B: Change his clothes
C: Go to the principal’s office where he'd be suspended

Mr. Marcum refused to remove the violent, deeply offensive, piece of cotton and that's when the cops were summoned. According to the student they were called solely “Because I would not take this shirt off. Because I believe that I should have a right to wear this.”

Before anyone starts claiming that the shirt must have violated some dress code, be aware that the school only forbids shirts featuring depictions of violence, profanity, and discrimination. The last time we checked, a belief in the Second Amendment didn't fall into any of those categories.

According to Logan County court documents, when police arrived, Jared refused to be silent. His talking supposedly interfered with the officer's ability to do his very important t-shirt investigation, so the boy was arrested for "disturbing the education process" and obstruction. Normally, this is the kind of thing you might expect would have been done to scare the kid into shutting his trap. Surely there would be no need to file actual charges. Besides, even if the cops got a little zealous a judge would drop any complaints once Jared learned a valuable lesson about standing up his right to bear arms. ...right?

Sorry, not in Logan County West Virginia. They take random acts of "t-shirt wearing" seriously.

Friday, Judge Eric O'Brien decided that Jared Marcum should own up to the repercussions of his unspeakable crime and allowed the prosecution to move forward with the case. The boy now faces trial and possible penalties ranging from $500 in fines to a year in jail. If you think that's outrageous, you should just be grateful that the police have backed away from their initial, evidently unfounded, claims that Marcum made "terroristic threats."

Can anyone remember when schools taught kids to stand up for their rights, rather than persecuting them for doing so?

We'll keep an eye on this case. In the meantime, here's a local CBS news report on the matter.

http://www.wtrf.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8989767

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone remember when schools taught kids to stand up for their rights, rather than persecuting them for doing so?

There was never such a time. Kids have never been considered to have "rights" while in school. Schools have always been authoritarian, most especially private schools that the right thinks are so hot. No rights in those places, folks.

There was never such a time. Kids have never been considered to have "rights" while in school. Schools have always been authoritarian, most especially private schools that the right thinks are so hot. No rights in those places, folks.

Go slap one of the little pricks then.

Why are you always wrong?

I work in a high school, and I don't think people understand what it is like to constantly be dealing with children who won't obey and won't stop arguing with authority figures. In some cases we have parents being arrested because they won't stop arguing, and making a scene, because the school doesn't have the "authority" to enforce a dress code. Their daughter has the right to wear skin tight clothes and show cleavage (top and bottom). One time a boy opened the trunk of his car and I saw him take a beer out of a case. The parents battled the school over the suspension based on the fact that they had given him permission to have beer, and nobody should have the right to discipline him. Noone had the "authority" to tell him he couldn't have a beer on school property. Schools make rules that students can't bring peanuts in the school, because another child might die, and parents are threatening to sue for the right to a PB & J. The battles are continuous over student's "right to disobey" an authority figure.

I spend a large portion of my day listening to kids argue about whether I have the right to ask them to stop when I tell them to, if I have the right to stop them from going out for lunch, whether their parents can bring them lunch from Burger King everyday, whether a boy can interrupt a class to bring his girlfriend flowers on her birthday, whether they can order a pizza to be delivered to the cafeteria, the list of things teenagers argue about is endless.

The t-shirt had a gun on it; that placed it in violation of the dress code. When the principal ordered him to either change the shirt or turn it inside out (and he refused); it became insubordination. When he refused to stop talking, when the police officer ordered him to; he was arrested.

If he, and his parents, wanted to make an issue of it, he should have changed the shirt, and then filed suit based on free speech. The courts would have made the decision whether the gun violated the code pertaining to "depictions of violence."

When adults are speaking to a teenager; the CHILD shuts his big mouth and listens. If he feels that his rights are being violated; he calls his parents to come in and speak for him. Children do not argue with adults and are not treated as equals.

This is why I have instructed my, children when summoned to The Office because they were allegedly in some form of "trouble", to say:

1. I have nothing to say to you.
2. I demand my parents be contacted.

I work in a high school, and I don't think people understand what it is like to constantly be dealing with children who won't obey and won't stop arguing with authority figures. In some cases we have parents being arrested because they won't stop arguing, and making a scene, because the school doesn't have the "authority" to enforce a dress code. Their daughter has the right to wear skin tight clothes and show cleavage (top and bottom). One time a boy opened the trunk of his car and I saw him take a beer out of a case. The parents battled the school over the suspension based on the fact that they had given him permission to have beer, and nobody should have the right to discipline him. Noone had the "authority" to tell him he couldn't have a beer on school property. Schools make rules that students can't bring peanuts in the school, because another child might die, and parents are threatening to sue for the right to a PB & J. The battles are continuous over student's "right to disobey" an authority figure.

I spend a large portion of my day listening to kids argue about whether I have the right to ask them to stop when I tell them to, if I have the right to stop them from going out for lunch, whether their parents can bring them lunch from Burger King everyday, whether a boy can interrupt a class to bring his girlfriend flowers on her birthday, whether they can order a pizza to be delivered to the cafeteria, the list of things teenagers argue about is endless.

The t-shirt had a gun on it; that placed it in violation of the dress code. When the principal ordered him to either change the shirt or turn it inside out (and he refused); it became insubordination. When he refused to stop talking, when the police officer ordered him to; he was arrested.

If he, and his parents, wanted to make an issue of it, he should have changed the shirt, and then filed suit based on free speech. The courts would have made the decision whether the gun violated the code pertaining to "depictions of violence."

When adults are speaking to a teenager; the CHILD shuts his big mouth and listens. If he feels that his rights are being violated; he calls his parents to come in and speak for him. Children do not argue with adults and are not treated as equals.

Fuck you.

You're a public servant who's salary is derived from monies coerced at gunpoint from people like me. Start acting like one, you fucking thief.

Now you know why everyone is leaving Virginia.

Not Virginia but West Virginia silly.

Did not read the story did you?

"be aware that the school only forbids shirts featuring depictions of violence, profanity, and discrimination"

Are you tryig to say that a picture of a gun is violence? If so then you are in need of help.

Not Virginia but West Virginia silly.

Did not read the story did you?

"be aware that the school only forbids shirts featuring depictions of violence, profanity, and discrimination"

Are you tryig to say that a picture of a gun is violence? If so then you are in need of help.

That is determined by a conference between the parents and the principal, not between the child and adult authority figures. Children do not make those judgements. Children obey the principal. If he doesn't want to obey, send him to a private school or homeschool him.

That is determined by a conference between the parents and the principal, not between the child and adult authority figures. Children do not make those judgements. Children obey the principal. If he doesn't want to obey, send him to a private school or homeschool him.

When did the kid disobey the principal?

When did the kid disobey the principal?

A teacher told him to remove it, he was then taken to the principal because of his insubordination. Children obey adults. They are not the equals of adults and are required to obey authority figures. He changes his shirt and then his parents file a protest. That is the way it works.

A teacher told him to remove it, he was then taken to the principal because of his insubordination. Children obey adults. They are not the equals of adults and are required to obey authority figures. He changes his shirt and then his parents file a protest. That is the way it works.

You would be correct if the kid was breaking a rule. He wasn't. Kid 1 School 0!!!

This is why I have instructed my, children when summoned to The Office because they were allegedly in some form of "trouble", to say:

1. I have nothing to say to you.

2. I demand my parents be contacted.

Fuck you.

You're a public servant who's salary is derived from monies coerced at gunpoint from people like me. Start acting like one, you fucking thief.

^^^^^

You would be correct if the kid was breaking a rule. He wasn't. Kid 1 School 0!!!

I read other articles. The principal stated that the boy was not arrested for the t-shirt; he was arrested for his disruptive behavior in the school. Again, the child does not determine whether he is in the right; that is determined in a conference between the parents and the school. If the parents and the school cannot come to an agreement they file a protest to the Superintendent and then the school board.

He was told to change his shirt, he refused. A police officer told him to stop talking; he ignored the police officers directive and kept on talking; he was then arrested. When he was told to shut up, he should have shut up.

Your story makes sense to me. I won't argue. ;)

Sounds like you get enough of that. Why the hell are you here? Masochism . . .?

I read other articles. The principal stated that the boy was not arrested for the t-shirt; he was arrested for his disruptive behavior in the school. Again, the child does not determine whether he is in the right; that is determined in a conference between the parents and the school. If the parents and the school cannot come to an agreement they file a protest to the Superintendent and then the school board.

He was told to change his shirt, he refused. A police officer told him to stop talking; he ignored the police officers directive and kept on talking; he was then arrested. When he was told to shut up, he should have shut up.

Did they call the parents before the cops showed up? Did they sit down with the parents before the cops showed up? Did they try to come to some fair conclusion before the cops showed up?