Nuclear Power

According to the article linked below:

in the case of nuclear energy, “the valley of death might be a Grand Canyon.”

Hence, I suggest that we should not be building nuclear power plants in this country--one Grand Canyon is enough, breathtaking as it is to look at.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/06/a-new-way-to-do-nuclear.html

Hence, I suggest that we should not be building nuclear power plants in this country--one Grand Canyon is enough, breathtaking as it is to look at.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/06/a-new-way-to-do-nuclear.html

Some form of atomic energy is the key to the future. Conventional "green" energy will never be able to match the efficiency of atomic energy.

The problem with people is that they are people. The problem with nuke plants is not the NUKE plant itself BUT the fact it is run by people. If people would put the same amount of energy (no pun) into solving all the problems we face with NUKES as they do some other the other BS that goes on...it would be safe and affordable.

NUKES are the wave of the future !

Theoretically, the reactor can put out as much electric power (five hundred megawatts) as a standard coal plant without belching carbon into the atmosphere. It can also run on nuclear waste, generating power even as it relieves another environmental burden.

Aren't you glad these folks put their nose to the grindstone and didn't go smoke some pot with the OWS crowd ?

Coal and natural gas, through air pollution, kill many more people every year, but the effects are diffuse.

Given the choice between a bullet in the head vrs dying from air pollution...call me crazy BUT I'll go with the latter.

In regard to solving the energy crisis, I compare it to cancer and other human needs.......... Treating problems it profitable, curing problem puts you out of work (solve a human need, not meter out a stop gap for cash=your kids and wife starve)........ Got to love that capitalism........ ^_^

The way to go in the USA is MORE nuclear powr plants.

That article has some mis-information in it.

In America, IF a nuke plant loses electrical power, the plant shuts itself down while it cools itself, with diesel-generators that automatically start up and are powering coolant-pumps and other critical parts of the reactor, within a few seconds.

IF all else fails, the fuel rods will gravity shut down to stop the reaction.

Just about everything is redundant in nuke plant safety. Everything is in "two's" or more when it comes to reactor safety.I.E. TWO computers, FOUR main coolant pumps, Four steam generators, THREE seperant cooling loops two of which are sealed, TWO different routes for critical wiring and piping, multiple people monitoring the computers from the control room,etc.

The plant runs itself with two computers, the computers monitor each other, and the control-room workers moniter the computers.

The only "accident" in the US commercial nuke plant-program (Three-mile-island) proves that our back-up safety systems work.

They shut the reactor down safely and no one was hurt, the reactor was badly damaged, but it was shut down safely.

OH, and nuclear power is very green, it polutes NOTHING.

The permanent high-level waste "problem" is solved scientifically, "politically" is the only problem NOW. :)

In regard to solving the energy crisis, I compare it to cancer and other human needs.......... Treating problems it profitable, curing problem puts you out of work (solve a human need, not meter out a stop gap for cash=your kids and wife starve)........ Got to love that capitalism........ ^_^

Supply a demand vs demand a supply.

hope vs faith.

theory vs theology.

theocracy vs thugocracy.

church and state of mind.

reality rules real with incomplete information, where the more one learns of theory and theology the less they understand about what real is in plain sight.

That isn't capitalism it is capitolizing off misinformation directing societal evolution into thinking now isn't eternity inthe center of eternally adding details never duplicated within this atmosphere other than the stablized characteristics of the periodic table of elements migrating into results presently changing shape and form in a predictable movement.

The one catch, details will never be dulicated working the same way all the time.

So govern with general terms and rule with specific details of the exceptions as every body hopes never changes in a moment nothing remains as it was.

Conflict of natural balance and the nurtured nature of humanity and being human.

The pattern I see in orchestrated chaos with an educated philosophy handed down through the generations added specifically as conceived.

Physical absolutes to how and why everything has become what it is. Now I don't know the specific who but I understand how and why rulers of realityn operate as they have and do and I don't want to rule anymore than be ruled. I can share this atmosphere that sustains us all for free, until humanity taxed breathing and living a natural existence within the eternity of now being here exactly as it adds up being now all the time.

Ruled by metaphors, fight tyranny with understanding substance, not more metaphors.

WTF does what I say have to do with nuclear power? fusion vs fision. magnetism vs electromagnetism, male vs female. While these are opposite hemisheres of results they aren't half of everything or any one topic or issue.

You alter one and the ripple effect goes through everything else held in the same containment field, like this atmosphere consisting of one periodic table of mass molecular elements migrating into everything taking place currently all the time, INDIVIDUALLY.

Freedom from what? Liberty to understand self containment not be subject to mob rule definitions of maybe.

It's so simple!

Now, if we could only get rid of that pesky residual heat...

Seriously, we all know how it's designed to work. Fukushima was also designed to work.

cc

It's so simple!

Seriously, we all know how it's designed to work. Fukushima was also designed to work.

cc

Fukishima was built on the coast of an island prone to earthquakes and tsunamis. Some intelligence has to be used in placing these things.

Supply a demand vs demand a supply.

hope vs faith.

theory vs theology.

theocracy vs thugocracy.

reality rules real with incomplete information, where the more one learns of theory and theology the less they understand about what real is in plain sight.

That isn't capitalism it is capitolizing off misinformation directing societal evolution into thinking now isn't eternity inthe center of eternally adding details never duplicated within this atmosphere other than the stablized characteristics of the periodic table of elements migrating into results presently changing shape and form in a predictable movement.

The one catch, details will never be dulicated working the same way all the time.

So govern with general terms and rule with specific details of the exceptions as every body hopes never changes in a moment nothing remains as it was.

Conflict of natural balance and the nurtured nature of humanity and being human.

The pattern I see in orchestrated chaos with an educated philosophy handed down through the generations added specifically as conceived.

Physical absolutes to how and why everything has become what it is. Now I don't know the specific who but I understand how and why rulers of realityn operate as they have and do and I don't want to rule anymore than be ruled. I can share this atmosphere that sustains us all for free, until humanity taxed breathing and living a natural existence within the eternity of now being here exactly as it adds up being now all the time.

Ruled by metaphors, fight tyranny with understanding substance, not more metaphors.

WTF does what I say have to do with nuclear power? fusion vs fision. magnetism vs electromagnetism, male vs female. While these are opposite hemisheres of results they aren't half of everything or any one topic or issue.

You alter one and the ripple effect goes through everything else held in the same containment field, like this atmosphere consisting of one periodic table of mass molecular elements migrating into everything taking place currently all the time, INDIVIDUALLY.

Freedom from what? Liberty to understand self containment not be subject to mob rule definitions of maybe.

Please for me, If you wish to actually share Ideas with me, specifically, shit can the riddles, I have enough on my plate. ;) No offence, I meant that.

Fukishima was built on the coast of an island prone to earthquakes and tsunamis. Some intelligence has to be used in placing these things.

LOL! And here was me thinking that Japanese engineers were pretty smart...

cc

That isn't capitalism it is capitolizing off misinformation directing societal evolution into thinking now isn't eternity inthe center of eternally adding details never duplicated within this atmosphere other than the stablized

You could have stopped here. I'll respect your opinion but find you to be some sort of snob.

If hippies want to protest putting reactors on the San Andres fault, that would be fine with me.

Fuck that, lets split this mug in half !! ^_^

It's so simple!

"residual heat" is taken away by the diesel-generators that automatically start up within seconds of losing power at the plant.

cc

Fukushima had it's diesel-generators built outside and on the seaward side of the plant, susceptible to the tsunami

I got no idea why they didn't build a concrete building over the diesel-generators. "Engineering flaw". :)

The way to go in the USA is MORE nuclear powr plants.

That article has some mis-information in it.

In America, IF a nuke plant loses electrical power, the plant shuts itself down while it cools itself, with diesel-generators that automatically start up and are powering coolant-pumps and other critical parts of the reactor, within a few seconds.

Just about everything is redundant in nuke plant safety. Everything is in "two's" or more when it comes to reactor safety.I.E. TWO computers, FOUR main coolant pumps, Four steam generators, THREE seperant cooling loops two of which are sealed, TWO different routes for critical wiring and piping, multiple people monitoring the computers from the control room,etc.

The plant runs itself with two computers, the computers monitor each other, and the control-room workers moniter the computers.

The only "accident" in the US commercial nuke plant-program (Three-mile-island) proves that our back-up safety systems work.

They shut the reactor down safely and no one was hurt, the reactor was badly damaged, but it was shut down safely.

OH, and nuclear power is very green, it polutes NOTHING.

The permanent high-level waste "problem" is solved scientifically, "politically" is the only problem NOW. :)

Anything made by man breaks down. The question regarding the use of any man-made thing is, "what are the consequences when it breaks?" At Three Mile Island, several things went wrong at the same time, the results being that the rods were coolant-starved. Auto backup systems failed to come on. They should not have failed. I believe they have redundancy built in. So why the multiple failures? I don't know why, but I know they failed. It was merely the luck of the draw that it caused no China Syndrome :

If the rods are allowed to get hot enough, they have the power to melt through anything beneath them no matter what it is. When this hellish heat hits the water table, it explodes, sending exceedingly violent material hundreds of feet in the air. It is estimated that such an explosion would make an area of several hundred square miles uninhabitable for hundreds of years. Even though the risk is slight, it is possible. Given enough time, most slight-chance mishaps occur.

I am not aware of any long-term solution to nuclear waste. There are two problems: one, there is no place on the planet guaranteed never to have an earthquake, which obviously could release radioactive material into air and or water. The second is one no one ever thinks about -- the half-life of this waste is so long that no one has solved the problem of making people far in the future aware of the location of nuclear waste. Signs deteriorate or are destroyed. Languages change. There is no way we can be any kind of certain we'll be able to warn future generations where this stuff is.

The kind of nuclear power we want, obviously, is fusion, not fission. Perhaps we will develop fusion, which would be a godsend for the planet. Its fuel costs no more than the cost to get it to the reactors, the fuel is not radioactive itself and it leaves no radioactive waste. These things make it infinitely superior to fission reactors.

You could have stopped here. I'll respect your opinion but find you to be some sort of snob.

Of course you would think I am a snob for not kissing the asses of every social justification denial is a virtue of which yours is one I must bow down to kiss, and I won't.

respect is polite condescension to aggitate the other person to over react and witnesses would come to believe they,the over reactor, are the ones hiding something and the calm collective one is being taken advantage of physically.

Passive aggression I think is the psychiatric term in the art of transferring guilt upon innocent parties that then must begin to defend themselves against a false negative proving they aren't a negative influence to societal evolution. the perfected Koybayashi Maru test of leadership in saving reality.

This is what disciples of ideology do for moral, ethical, and legal codes to ways of contorting real into reality subliminally from cradle to grave of every ancestor added to this atmosphere currently..

Nuclear waste is not waste, it is fuel to be reprocessed or turned into bullets to shoot brown people hiding in tanks. No waste. Fusion is obviously preferable but there is no reason not to use existing tech. It has served our Navy well with very few notable incidents for 60 years.

Anything made by man breaks down. The question regarding the use of any man-made thing is, "what are the consequences when it breaks?" At Three Mile Island, several things went wrong at the same time, the results being that the rods were coolant-starved. Auto backup systems failed to come on. They should not have failed. I believe they have redundancy built in. So why the multiple failures? I don't know why, but I know they failed. It was merely the luck of the draw that it caused no China Syndrome :

If the rods are allowed to get hot enough, they have the power to melt through anything beneath them no matter what it is. When this hellish heat hits the water table, it explodes, sending exceedingly violent material hundreds of feet in the air. It is estimated that such an explosion would make an area of several hundred square miles uninhabitable for hundreds of years. Even though the risk is slight, it is possible. Given enough time, most slight-chance mishaps occur.

I am not aware of any long-term solution to nuclear waste. There are two problems: one, there is no place on the planet guaranteed never to have an earthquake, which obviously could release radioactive material into air and or water. The second is one no one ever thinks about -- the half-life of this waste is so long that no one has solved the problem of making people far in the future aware of the location of nuclear waste. Signs deteriorate or are destroyed. Languages change. There is no way we can be any kind of certain we'll be able to warn future generations where this stuff is.

The kind of nuclear power we want, obviously, is fusion, not fission. Perhaps we will develop fusion, which would be a godsend for the planet. Its fuel costs no more than the cost to get it to the reactors, the fuel is not radioactive itself and it leaves no radioactive waste. These things make it infinitely superior to fission reactors.

Three-mile-island was a worse-case-scenario. They had a partial core meltdown.

The reundent safety systems worked, and the reactor was shut down safely.

The China-syndrome" is a theory, nobody actually knows what would happen IF a critical mass melted outta the bottom of the reactor, it just might disapate enough heat into the surrounding rock that it would just stay where it is.

When they are through re processing the spent fuel rods and any other form of highly radioactive "waste", it is supose to be mixed with lead pellets, put in a lead-lined stainless-steal cask, and buried in the very stable yucca mountain storage facility.

Anti-nukes have been holding THAT up for years.

The "waste-disposal" has been scientifically solved years ago, the "politiacl problem" is what is holding it up.

"Fusion" is a great idea that they have been woring on for many decades.

The last I knew of, more energy went into fusion than they could get outta fusion. as in "it takes 5 megawatts of energy to ge 3 megawatts of energy outta fusion". ( A ferinstance only, not exactly sure of the numbers). :)