Issa's IRS Investigation Is Falling Apart

lol
s-DARRELL-ISSA-IRS-INVESTIGATION-large30

When Republicans won control of the House of Representatives in 2010, Representative Darrell Issa of California was supposed to become a star. Issa, who made no secret of his ambition, took over the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, vowing to use the power of his chairmanship to stage hundreds of hearings and hold the Obama administration to account. Anticipating what he promised would be “constant battle,” the White House hired extra lawyers and braced for the onslaught.

But Issa wasn’t the force people expected him to be. His biggest investigation, into the botched anti-gun smuggling operation that left a Border Patrol agent dead, incited right-wing talk radio listeners. Beyond that, though, it barely registered. After two years in power, Issa seemed more bark than bite.

Then came last month’s revelation that IRS agents had singled out Tea Party groups for special scrutiny. Here was an issue that seized public attention and posed a legitimate threat to Obama. Since then, nobody in Congress has pushed harder than Issa to pin the scandal on the White House.

But after a burst of attention, Issa’s investigation appears to have stalled. Although he turned up embarrassing material—has any government official been humiliated quite like the IRS commissioner in the dorky video dressed up as Spock?—Issa hasn’t made the all-important connection to the White House. And he may not be able to. The news this week that he won’t release the full transcripts of his interviews with IRS officials—interviews he selectively quoted from to imply White House complicity—suggests that what they contain may in fact exonerate the administration of the very charge Issa is laboring so hard to prosecute.

“Your push to release entire transcripts from witness interviews while the investigation remains active was reckless and threatened to undermine the integrity of the committee’s investigation,” Issa wrote in response to a letter from his Democratic counterpart, Representative Elijah Cummings of Maryland, who himself had selectively quoted the transcripts and then called on Issa to publicize the whole thing.

In theory, Issa could be building a case against the White House to rival Watergate that he just isn’t quite ready to unveil. But that’s highly unlikely. Cummings has seen the transcripts and wouldn’t call for their release if they contained information that would fell his party’s president. Issa’s weak-tea defense of why he won’t comply—witnesses might be demoted or fired, he says—only buttresses this suspicion. So does the effort by Issa’s colleague, Representative Dave Camp of Michigan, to broaden the investigation’s scope to include donor audits. You don’t broaden an investigation if you’ve found the smoking gun and nailed the culprit.

“We’re not anywhere near being able to jump to conclusions,” Camp told reporters, including Bloomberg’s Richard Rubin, on Wednesday. So the IRS investigations will continue. But it’s getting harder to imagine that they’ll turn up evidence of a Nixonian plot, and if they don’t, Issa will have failed again.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-13/darrell-issas-irs-investigation-is-falling-apart

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? That must be why the investigation keeps getting bigger.

Congress panel widens probe of IRS 'Tea Party' scrutiny

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/13/us-usa-tax-irs-probe-idUSBRE95C1BB20130613

We know you want it to all just go away. Wish it away ES, wish it away.... hahahahahaha :lol:

Funny how you idiot cons lost sight of the whole issue.

we have a tea bagger movement who is against paying taxes and then they cry that the IRS singled them out .....because they have to pay taxes.

Either way, this has nothing to do with the President. Just wake me when impeachment hearings start.

Issa decided to try to lie and withhold documents that undermined his own case. It backfired.

Those cheap games don't work anymore. The repubs just tried this crap too often, Americans are fed up.

Did the documents say the IRS didn't target TEA party groups? People are pretty much on to NSA wiretapping now and I've grown bored with the daily scandals so honestly, I don't know...

The Bedwetter hates it when the republicans look like sh-it.

No I hate hypocrites like you that say the rich are evil then go and brag about their 3000sq ft home in New Jersey. You say anyone that has more than they need is greedy and their property should be taken from them. Of course that includes everyone except you.

You are a fat disgraceful hypocrite. You need to be put to death. I'm going to make that happen you pig.

People are pretty much on to NSA wiretapping now

This has been going on for 10 years. Obama's is just doing it better than Bush did.

The illusion of privacy in this technological age is just that. An illusion.

There are cameras on every street corner, in every store. And as far as phone records, the government is looking for terrorists, not what someone is saying to their girlfriend.

Everyone wants privacy...but at what expense?

Do you want your country safe or not?

Funny how you idiot cons lost sight of the whole issue.

we have a tea bagger movement who is against paying taxes and then they cry that the IRS singled them out .....because they have to pay taxes.

Either way, this has nothing to do with the President. Just wake me when impeachment hearings start.

The tea party is for reducing govt through legislation. They have never advocated tax evasion you fat fucken slob.

Did the documents say the IRS didn't target TEA party groups? People are pretty much on to NSA wiretapping now and I've grown bored with the daily scandals so honestly, I don't know...

The documents show that there was no conspiracy and no upper level involvement. I mean, you said it yourself...if the facts show that the Obama admin had nothing to do with this, then it's a red herring and not worth newsprint.

The documents show that there was no conspiracy and no upper level involvement. I mean, you said it yourself...if the facts show that the Obama admin had nothing to do with this, then it's a red herring and not worth newsprint.

We already know that select groups were culled for additional scrutiny. Knew that from the start. We also know everyone is pointing fingers at the other, so we can't be sure where is starts or stops.

I hope to God obama wouldn't use such tactics. That would be, without question, not only impeachable, but criminal.

How does Holder still have a job??

And that's a good thing b/c Obama is keeping us safe where Bush could not.

I care first and foremost for the safety of my family and friends.

Bush didn't keep us safe?? It's his infrastructure under which we operate now...ie: the patriot act.

Granted, obama has put it on steroids. Only problem with that is, his administration hasn't handled information well.

It's beyond ludicrous how you cons so conveniently forget 9/11 so easily.

No Bush did not keep us safe.

I agree Bush should have implemented the Patriot Act on day one. I'm sure he would have gotten heavy democrat support.