True Racism

How many of you are Irish or know and care for Irish family or friends.

Chris Matthews' comments shows he is an angry, liberal, racist.

It doesn't matter if you like these guys or not...Matthews shows true racism here.

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/sleazy-matthews-ted-cruz-bill-oreilly-are-same-nazi-sympathizer-father-coughlin-huey-long

How many of you are Irish or know and care for Irish family or friends.

Chris Matthews' comments shows he is an angry, liberal, racist.

It doesn't matter if you like these guys or not...Matthews shows true racism here.

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/sleazy-matthews-ted-cruz-bill-oreilly-are-same-nazi-sympathizer-father-coughlin-huey-long

"That Black Irish look." ???

Even lisa can read this one. :)

I am of Irish descent and I do know what "Black Irish" means.

6372218_f260.jpg

Actress Jennifer Connelly

http://lifeandluxury.hubpages.com/hub/What-is-Black-Irish-Photos-of-Black-Irish-People

What is Black Irish? The term tends to be used among Irish Americans and sometimes leaves people of other ethnic groups perplexed.

This hub will explain what black Irish means and features photos of black Irish people -- celebrities who have Irish descent and have these features.

What is Black Irish?

Black Irish is a colloquial term. The most traditional explanation of black Irish refers to people that have Irish ancestry and have black hair, pale skin, and blue or green eyes. Their eyelashes and body hair are also noticably black.

6372236_f260.jpgPin It
See all 4 photos
Rob James Collier, Black Irish
6372235_f260.jpgPin It
See all 4 photos
Lara Flynn Boyle, Black Irish
6372248_f260.jpgPin It
See all 4 photos
Peter Gallagher, Black Irish
Where Did the Term Black Irish Come From?

During periods of high European immigration to the United States, European-descended people had a tendency to distinguish ethnic European groups and sub-groups from one another.

The majority (65%) of Irish people have brown hair. Since only 15% of Irish people have black hair, and within that 15% almost all of them fair-skinned and blue or green-eyed, classifying them with the term "black Irish" made them instantly distinguishable as a sub-group.

This was a way of also noting that black Irish people have a tribal differentiation from the tribal makeup of people with more typically Irish features. But it should also be noted that black Irish are higher in number than redheaded Irish.

What Are the Origins of Black Irish People?

There are many theories. There is evidence that a small percentage of prehistoric people that lived in present-day Spain and Portugal (Iberian Peninsula) migrated to present-day Ireland. The Iberian Peninsula already had different ethnic subgroups of people living on it, including people from the Eastern Mediterranean. Many ethnic Iberian groups have also since died out.

Another theory notes that the Irish were originally descended from Scythians, from present-day Iran (and that these people also migrated to Spain). They were white-skinned with black hair. They intermarried with other tribes in Ireland and the results were blue and green eyed people with black hair and fair skin.

It should be noted that there hasn't been any exclusively proven theory as to how the black Irish came about. Black hair can be found in almost every European people, so these specific features are not exclusive to the Irish in Europe.

Another even smaller group of Irish people (around 1% of the population) have black hair, light or tan skin, and brown eyes. This group is also sometimes referred to as black Irish.

What Are Some Examples of Notable People that Are Black Irish?

Lara Flynn Boyle, Peter Gallagher, Rob James Collier, and Jennifer Connelly all have Irish ancestry, and all four of them would be called black Irish in the colloquial sense.

This also applies to Germans. There's the fair-haired Germans and then the one's who lean towards the swarthy appearance. I believe they are referred to as Bavarian Germans or something.

my granny is a black haired german...i would call her a black german, but i think she would kill me..

"That Black Irish look." ???

You're an idiot. Mathews is irish. He gets to comment on all things irish. You can comment on all things polish, tardo.

I believe that the commonplace ridicule of red hair in England stems from anti-Irish prejudice.

Nice way to take all the responsibility off of gingers themselves. Next you'll be offering them free fish and chips. All that does is make people suspect the good ones got where they are by free fish and chips.

my granny is a black haired german...i would call her a black german, but i think she would kill me..

ein shwartzekrauter?

I believe that the commonplace ridicule of red hair in England stems from anti-Irish prejudice.

I have red hair and spent most of my childhood being called carrot top and freckles; I don't think it was due to anti-Irish prejudice.

Matthews was commenting that the "Black Irish" would have an advantage because the "Black Irish look" is considered attractive. If you will notice from the clip, Matthews was admiring the "Black Irish look."

I have red hair and spent most of my childhood being called carrot top and freckles; I don't think it was due to anti-Irish prejudice.

Even so, I think the roots of this particular prejudice go deeper than the scalp.