The Purge - The Movie & How Would You Handle It?

First off, I thought it was a great movie. The concept of keeping crime down by allowing one night a year for 12 hours all crime, rape, robbery, murder, everything, is just such an awesome concept. So I wanted to make a thread on the movie itself and on how some of you would go about dealing with that 12 hour night if we actually did that.

So first, before I say what I'd do, I'd like to give my few gripes about the movie, even though I generally liked it and will get it on DVD. These are more me nitpicking than anything else:

1) The guy has enough money to afford a house worth millions of dollars with a state-of-the-art security system, but doesn't have a panic room? Preferably, with that kind of money available, one that has a secret entrance? I guess maybe if the family was able to hide all night in a panic room that has a secret door, that makes it not much of a movie; so that's probably why.

2) All that money, and all he has in the house is a pump action shotgun and a revolver? Are you fracking kidding me? I have a 31 gun collection and I don't even live in a world with a purge. I can only assume one or both of two things. Again it wouldn't be much of a movie if the good guys could hold off all the bad guys easily and/or kill them all with a bad ass gun collection. Or two, the director is an anti-gun Elmer Fudd type. What I mean by that is the bad guys have automatic weapons. In the world of gun ownership, we refer to Fudds as gun owners who feel all people should be able own is bolt action guns, shotguns, and a revolver; in other words, they are against all things semi-automatic and actively vote for assault weapon bans. Their idea of a hunting gun is a wooden stock; they wouldn't be caught dead with an evil black rifle. This seems like a good possible assumption since all the good guys get to have is a revolver and shotgun.....as if to say to audiences "normal people own revolvers, evil people own semi-automatic or automatic guns."

Ok, nitpicking done. On to how I would handle those 12 hours:

My first idea, which I immediately tossed after really thinking about it, was to just stay in my home; after all, I have a huge gun collection. But after really thinking about it, that's not a good idea.

A group of invaders, after a few of them getting killed and realizing they aren't getting in my house because of all my rifles, ammo, and ridiculous amounts of 30-round magazines, would just set the house on fire and smoke me out. And if it was someone that knew me and knew what I had, that's the first thing they'd do. And, thinking like a smart criminal, if I was an invader, I'd set the house on fire first; regardless of my knowledge of the firepower inside. Why enter on their terms? Make them come out shooting. So staying in my house, reinforced or not, isn't going to work.

I think the best solution to staying alive, provided you didn't want to be part of the criminal action, would be to take an out-of-the-country trip for that week. Which would have been another thing they could have done in the movie, but then it wouldn't have been a movie. Common sense and great movies just don't go together.

The other idea I had, provided I was going to stay in the country, would be to lock up the house as best I can and leave. Gearing up in an old truck (old meaning something made before computer chips and tracking devices in vehicles) and take off to spend the night in the middle of a random field far from any town or city. Of course my cell phone would have to be planted somewhere else, just incase someone wanted to hack into the phone company and use my cell to get my location. That would throw them off, wasting more time in the night.

I figure that's the best solution, outside of just leaving the country for a week, as the roaming bands of raping, killing, burning thugs probably aren't going to be out in country fields, but in the streets of towns and cities. And someone that specifically wanted to kill me would never be able to find me.

The whole idea of the movie sounds stupid.

I like a good apocalyptic story as much as the next guy but the basic premise is Swiss cheese. So I will wait until it hits cable/satellite audiences. Not worth much else... I'll see it in 6 months or so.

Man of Steel is probably better. Out and out fantasy trumps "reality-based" because one has to fit within realistic people, reactions, and aftermath in order to work. That isn't easily done.

Were going to see it Friday, I'd rather see iron man 3 or superman ...

But hey.. the old lady wants to ssee it.

Anything you do would depend if you are a victim or a target.

If this were a real event, the people out roaming and killing would be planning this all year.

So they would be prepared, well the white ones anyhow.

I would turn.off all my lights and sit in the bay window upstair .

First things first tho... I'd take the plug out of my shotgun, 5 shots or better than 3. Stock up on caffeine and energy drinks, would want to doze off....

Put my family on the most interior part of the house and commence to sitting at my bay window.

Were going to see it Friday, I'd rather see iron man 3 or superman ... But hey.. the old lady wants to ssee it. Anything you do would depend if you are a victim or a target. If this were a real event, the people out roaming and killing would be planning this all year. So they would be prepared, well the white ones anyhow. I would turn.off all my lights and sit in the bay window upstair . First things first tho... I'd take the plug out of my shotgun, 5 shots or better than 3. Stock up on caffeine and energy drinks, would want to doze off.... Put my family on the most interior part of the house and commence to sitting at my bay window.

tunnel vision. you aren't looking at the whole scenario because your family memebers might be on the side outside that bay window. Trust is a faith in believing real couldn't be now all the time and time is always outside this moment changing details presently.

don't give away your sole for a soul concept nobody knows what real is in plain sight.

I have a sister that would play any system that would get here where she wanted to be and it got her exactly where she ended up getting publicly lynched by popular opinions in the national media.

Don't trust faith completely as it is incomplete to start with.

Ok, nitpicking done.

Valid points, though, and just the sort of thing that would ruin, or nearly ruin, the movie for me. I hate glaring plot holes.

A group of invaders, after a few of them getting killed and realizing they aren't getting in my house because of all my rifles, ammo, and ridiculous amounts of 30-round magazines, would just set the house on fire and smoke me out.

Depends. They only have 12 hours, so would it be worth their while to try?

Common sense and great movies just don't go together.

Sadly, that's often the case.

I figure that's the best solution, outside of just leaving the country for a week, as the roaming bands of raping, killing, burning thugs probably aren't going to be out in country fields, but in the streets of towns and cities. And someone that specifically wanted to kill me would never be able to find me.

Sounds like a plan. But what would you do with your family, if you had one? As they too would be under the same set of rules, no?

I'll see it in 6 months or so.

I'll probably see it sooner, but I doubt I'll pay much, if anything, to do so.

I do have a family, as I have a wife, so she would be with me.

As far as the plot being stupid, I just don't agree. I think the idea would work to a degree. It wouldn't stop crimes of passion or petty thievery, but it would bring most all other crime down to a bare minimum. I mean if you want to kill your a**hole boss, would you do it when the law applies or would you plan for 11 months and do it during the purging night? Angry school shooters? They'd wait to unleash their anger on the world during that one night where they can walk around with their assault weapons and go on their shooting rampages.

As far as the movie being stupid because it is about a break in. I did like the movie, but I think they could have gone another direction to really show the utter chaos over the night instead of focusing on one family in one situation. Maybe they'll do a The Purge 2 and focus on multiple storylines over a 2 or 3 hour period; that would really show the craziness over the 12 hours. They could do it from different view points of people trying to protect themselves and those that wish to participate.

Without knowing a fucking thing about the movie.

Like somebody already mentioned: One whole year to prepare.

Your choices are:

a) Go out and get some.

b) Stay home and kill zombies.

Me?

Stay home with the goods. Remote control booby traps (electronic or manual) are a true motherfucker. LOTS of options (you gave my devious mind a year remember?)

12 hours? That's it? I have stayed up 48 just for drinking and gambling. 12 is nothing. NOTHING.

I have also stood at a gun range shooting for fun for 6 hours. Some targets were eggs hanging on strings at 100 yards. Some fuckwad's head at 100 feet? Which eye needs a corneal adjustment?

Anyway, I'm probably going to watch it just to laugh.

I do have a family, as I have a wife, so she would be with me.

As far as the plot being stupid, I just don't agree. I think the idea would work to a degree. It wouldn't stop crimes of passion or petty thievery, but it would bring most all other crime down to a bare minimum. I mean if you want to kill your a**hole boss, would you do it when the law applies or would you plan for 11 months and do it during the purging night? Angry school shooters? They'd wait to unleash their anger on the world during that one night where they can walk around with their assault weapons and go on their shooting rampages.

As far as the movie being stupid because it is about a break in. I did like the movie, but I think they could have gone another direction to really show the utter chaos over the night instead of focusing on one family in one situation. Maybe they'll do a The Purge 2 and focus on multiple storylines over a 2 or 3 hour period; that would really show the craziness over the 12 hours. They could do it from different view points of people trying to protect themselves and those that wish to participate.

Why would anybody wait? The nation has sanctioned mass murder. Who quibbles over a timeframe? The larger question has been answered (especially for the crazies). Life would have just become year-round cheap.

Why would anybody wait? The nation has sanctioned mass murder. Who quibbles over a timeframe? The larger question has been answered (especially for the crazies). Life would have just become year-round cheap.

The nation has only sanctioned all crime legal for a 12-hour window, that's why people would wait. You go rape, rob, murder, what have you, outside of that window, and the law applies just like it does right now in real life.

The nation has only sanctioned all crime legal for a 12-hour window, that's why people would wait. You go rape, rob, murder, what have you, outside of that window, and the law applies just like it does right now in real life.

You have missed my point. The moral imperative for many would be lifted. Society sanctioned death, rape, whatever. It is in the law that killing and such is no longer such a bad thing.

That's all for me on this. I'll stick with my first post.

To think that criminals would actually wait all year long for this one night is just niave. And what about corporate criminals? Or organized crime? Street gangs? None of them are going to wait for this one night. It would never work. Criminals aren't known for their patience.

To think that criminals would actually wait all year long for this one night is just niave. And what about corporate criminals? Or organized crime? Street gangs? None of them are going to wait for this one night. It would never work. Criminals aren't known for their patience.

Never mind that criminals generally rely on the upper hand, the easy target. They would not have that within a 12 hour window when people are expecting crime.

You're right, it wouldn't stop everything or everyone; but I bet the national crime rate would drop by a very significant number. As far as corporate criminals, yeah.......that wouldn't be affected by this since corporate theft takes a long time; Bernie Madoffs would still be around.

First off, I thought it was a great movie. The concept of keeping crime down by allowing one night a year for 12 hours all crime, rape, robbery, murder, everything, is just such an awesome concept. So I wanted to make a thread on the movie itself and on how some of you would go about dealing with that 12 hour night if we actually did that.

So first, before I say what I'd do, I'd like to give my few gripes about the movie, even though I generally liked it and will get it on DVD. These are more me nitpicking than anything else:

1) The guy has enough money to afford a house worth millions of dollars with a state-of-the-art security system, but doesn't have a panic room? Preferably, with that kind of money available, one that has a secret entrance? I guess maybe if the family was able to hide all night in a panic room that has a secret door, that makes it not much of a movie; so that's probably why.

2) All that money, and all he has in the house is a pump action shotgun and a revolver? Are you fracking kidding me? I have a 31 gun collection and I don't even live in a world with a purge. I can only assume one or both of two things. Again it wouldn't be much of a movie if the good guys could hold off all the bad guys easily and/or kill them all with a bad ass gun collection. Or two, the director is an anti-gun Elmer Fudd type. What I mean by that is the bad guys have automatic weapons. In the world of gun ownership, we refer to Fudds as gun owners who feel all people should be able own is bolt action guns, shotguns, and a revolver; in other words, they are against all things semi-automatic and actively vote for assault weapon bans. Their idea of a hunting gun is a wooden stock; they wouldn't be caught dead with an evil black rifle. This seems like a good possible assumption since all the good guys get to have is a revolver and shotgun.....as if to say to audiences "normal people own revolvers, evil people own semi-automatic or automatic guns."

Ok, nitpicking done. On to how I would handle those 12 hours:

My first idea, which I immediately tossed after really thinking about it, was to just stay in my home; after all, I have a huge gun collection. But after really thinking about it, that's not a good idea.

A group of invaders, after a few of them getting killed and realizing they aren't getting in my house because of all my rifles, ammo, and ridiculous amounts of 30-round magazines, would just set the house on fire and smoke me out. And if it was someone that knew me and knew what I had, that's the first thing they'd do. And, thinking like a smart criminal, if I was an invader, I'd set the house on fire first; regardless of my knowledge of the firepower inside. Why enter on their terms? Make them come out shooting. So staying in my house, reinforced or not, isn't going to work.

I think the best solution to staying alive, provided you didn't want to be part of the criminal action, would be to take an out-of-the-country trip for that week. Which would have been another thing they could have done in the movie, but then it wouldn't have been a movie. Common sense and great movies just don't go together.

The other idea I had, provided I was going to stay in the country, would be to lock up the house as best I can and leave. Gearing up in an old truck (old meaning something made before computer chips and tracking devices in vehicles) and take off to spend the night in the middle of a random field far from any town or city. Of course my cell phone would have to be planted somewhere else, just incase someone wanted to hack into the phone company and use my cell to get my location. That would throw them off, wasting more time in the night.

It is a Globalist propaganda film selling chaos and the need for a bigger police state.

No way in hell would we ever stop enforcing laws in this country to keep order.

We can enforce laws, keep the peace, and not live in one giant police state.