On This Day in 1964

On This Day in 1964, Democrats Filibustered the Civil Rights Act

On this day in 1964, Everett Dirksen (R-IL), the Republican Leader in the U.S. Senate, condemned the Democrats’ 57-day filibuster against the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Leading the Democrats in their opposition to civil rights for African-Americans was Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV). Byrd, who got into politics as a recruiter for the Ku Klux Klan, spoke against the bill for fourteen straight hours. Democrats still call Robert Byrd “the conscience of the Senate.”

In his speech, Senator Dirksen called on the Democrats to end their filibuster and accept racial equality.

On This Day in 1964, Democrats Filibustered the Civil Rights Act

On this day in 1964, Everett Dirksen (R-IL), the Republican Leader in the U.S. Senate, condemned the Democrats’ 57-day filibuster against the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Leading the Democrats in their opposition to civil rights for African-Americans was Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV). Byrd, who got into politics as a recruiter for the Ku Klux Klan, spoke against the bill for fourteen straight hours. Democrats still call Robert Byrd “the conscience of the Senate.”

In his speech, Senator Dirksen called on the Democrats to end their filibuster and accept racial equality.

Come on, cedarman. I thought you were smarter than that. Byrd was conservative, not liberal. You claim to know the difference, but demonstrate that you don't.

As usual, conservatives were against civil rights. Liberals were for civil rights. It has always been that way and always will be that way.

Come on, cedarman. I thought you were smarter than that. Byrd was conservative, not liberal. You claim to know the difference, but demonstrate that you don't.

As usual, conservatives were against civil rights. Liberals were for civil rights. It has always been that way and always will be that way.

what have you ever seen from the guy that made you think he was smarter than that. the stupidity comes in when he pretends that he will fool people into buying his crap.

what have you ever seen from the guy that made you think he was smarter than that. the stupidity comes in when he pretends that he will fool people into buying his crap.

I'm so stupid it's going to be real easy for you to show what I posted that isn't true...yuk, yuk, yuk. Go ahead Einstein I'll wait.

I'm so stupid it's going to be real easy for you to show what I posted that isn't true...yuk, yuk, yuk. Go ahead Einstein I'll wait.

Are you demonstrating that you really don't know that at that time, the Democratic Party was the party of conservative racists and the Republicans were moderate and liberal? Is that what you're saying? That you don't know that between the early '60s and early '70s the parties gradually switched, that liberals took over the Democratic party while conservatives became the Republican Party? You honestly don't know this?

Are you demonstrating that you really don't know that at that time, the Democratic Party was the party of conservative racists and the Republicans were moderate and liberal? Is that what you're saying? That you don't know that between the early '60s and early '70s the parties gradually switched, that liberals took over the Democratic party while conservatives became the Republican Party? You honestly don't know this?

let him go for his gotcha, it's important to him. Meanwhile, call them dixiecrats or call them the oogieboogie tribe, the label will not change the heart. the ignorant racists may have been lured or cajoled but in the end, they gravitated to where it was natural for them to go.

What Lisa is trying to say is the southern segregationists like Robert Byrd and George Wallace had total changes of heart. Being a trusting young woman in what she has been told (because she never lived through it) she missed out on WHY. With stricter voting rights championed by Republicans and Democrats in the 1964 U.S. Senate, the Byrds and the Wallaces of the south needed the "nigras" to politically survive. As late as just a few years before his death Robert "KKK" Byrd was STILL talking about "white [African-American slur]s." Both died amid high accolades by Democrats and the Democratic Party.

Same thing libs say about the KKK and the Republican party.....Between 1861 and 1865.....trying to have your cake and eat it too? Please pick a time when the Dems were the good guys and stick with it.

Those democrats all left the party and became republicans when Johnson SIGNED that act.

I won't be holding my breath for you to DARE deny it, son. You won't. You'll settle down like a good girl, and just take it.

What Lisa is trying to say is the southern segregationists like Robert Byrd and George Wallace had total changes of heart.

Incorrect.

She's saying that the vast majority of southern racists left the dem party and became repubs. And you know it, and won't deny it - good girl; sit, stay.

....trying to have your cake and eat it too?

Yes, you are - much like when you bash gays yet troll mens rooms.

But you're failing at it, young lady. The fact is, southern white racists left the democrat party in droves and joined the republican party, ont he heels of the civil rights act.

It's why the old slave states are red states today, son. But then, you already know that, and it bothers you. But you take it, because you are a good little girl and going to be a fine young woman some day.

Sit. Stay. Good girl. :)