Republican IRS Agent Says He Instigated Tea Party Inquiries

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/10/republican-irs-agent-says-he-instigated-tea-party-inquiries/

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A U.S. Internal Revenue Service manager, who described himself as a conservative Republican, told congressional investigators that he and a local colleague decided to give conservative groups the extra scrutiny that has prompted weeks of political controversy.

In an official interview transcript released on Sunday by Democratic Representative Elijah Cummings, the manager said he and an underling set aside “Tea Party” and “patriot” groups that had applied for tax-exempt status because the organizations appeared to pose a new precedent that could affect future IRS filings.

Cummings, top Democrat on the House of Representatives Oversight and Government Reform Committee conducting the probe, told CNN’s “State of the Union” program that the manager’s comments provided evidence that politics was not behind IRS actions that have fueled a month-long furor in Washington.

“He is a conservative Republican working for the IRS. I think this interview and these statements go a long way toward showing that the White House was not involved in this,” Cummings told CNN’s “State of the Union” program.

“Based upon everything I’ve seen, the case is solved. And if it were me, I would wrap this case up and move on,” he added.

Cummings, a Maryland Democrat, said he would release a full transcript of the committee’s interviews with IRS officials by the end of this week, if the panel’s Republican chairman, Representative Darrell Issa, does not.

Issa has released his own excerpts of interviews with IRS employees the committee is conducting jointly, which the Republican says suggests the added attention given to Tea Party groups originated from Washington, D.C. and had political motivations.

Issa vowed to press ahead with the investigation and said the IRS manager’s comments “did not provide anything enlightening or contradict other witness accounts.”

“I strongly disagree with … Cummings’ assertion that we know everything we need to know about inappropriate targeting of Tea Party groups by the IRS,” the California Republican said in a statement released by his office.

Revelations that the tax agency set aside conservative groups for scrutiny has raised a political furor over the past month, leading President Barack Obama to fire the IRS commissioner. The House oversight panel, several other congressional committees and the FBI have launched investigations.

The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration issued a report on the matter last month finding no evidence of involvement beyond IRS officials.

Still, Republicans have raised questions about whether the scrutiny was directed politically at Obama’s opponents and have sought evidence of any White House involvement.

The House oversight committee has now completed five lengthy interviews with IRS employees, including four based in the Cincinnati office where applications for tax exempt status are handled.

Cummings said congressional investigators now know what happened based on these interviews.

CINCINNATI SOUGHT ADVICE FROM WASHINGTON

The excerpts of interviews with IRS workers released by Cummings indicate that the IRS manager and an underling first decided to contact Washington, D.C. IRS officials for guidance on the cases from groups aligned with the anti-tax Tea Party movement.

They did so to consolidate them, as they might be precedent-setting for future cases, the manager said, according to the interview transcripts.

It was an unidentified Cincinnati IRS worker who reported to the manager, identified as John Shafer by committee aides, who identified the first Tea Party case. That individual has not been interviewed by the committee yet.

Investigators asked Shafer if he believed the decision to centralize the screening of Tea Party applications was intended to target “the president’s political enemies.”

“I do not believe that the screening of these cases had anything to do, other than consistency and identifying issues that needed to have further development,” the manager answered, according to a transcript released by Cummings.

Asked if he believed the White House was involved, the manager replied: “I have no reason to believe that.”

John Shafer could not be reached for comment.

“They wanted to make sure that it was handled in a way whereby when other cases came behind it that were similar, that they would be treated in a consistent way,” the lawmaker said.

Another Cincinnati screener who worked for Shafer, Gary Muthert, indicated in committee interviews released in part by Issa last week, that “Washington wanted some cases,” to review.

Democratic committee staff said Muthert’s involvement came later, after the initial screener and Shafer first sought advice from Washington about the legal aspects of the newly-emerging cases.

Where in your story is this claim supported?

What we DO know is that 3 Cincinnati IRS agents have pointed the finger at a IRS lawyer in DC who has since announced his retirement and deleted his facebook page.

Oh yea, and he's a Democrat.

There he is, stuck on stupid. Lets see, the IRS non scandal goes up in smoke, the S&P upgrades our credit rating, and states austerity cuts are the drag on the economy, not the recent tax hikes, and it's just Monday.

Looks like it's going to be another very long bad week for Republicans.

Golfboy is a shill.

Issa refuses to release what he's found...because what he's found discredits his own claims.

Issa is a felon and a corrupt bit-ch, and the conservatives DON'T CARE.

not a single conservative on this forum has condemned Issa.

Shows you who holds the high ground.

Golfboy is a shill.

Issa refuses to release what he's found...because what he's found discredits his own claims.

Issa is a felon and a corrupt bit-ch, and the conservatives DON'T CARE.

not a single conservative on this forum has condemned Issa.

Shows you who holds the high ground.

It's going to be a train wreck of a week for the righties.

Strange, eerie and weird that IRS highers-up have been apologizing all over themselves in Congressional hearings when all they would have had to say was the whole she-bang was started by a (get that I am using the correct terminology!) low-level REPUBLICAN operative!

It's going to be a train wreck of a week for the righties.

Nah. If you have found the courage to suffer a train wreck for 5 years what's a week in the life of a "rightie?"

There he is, stuck on stupid. Lets see, the IRS non scandal goes up in smoke, the S&P upgrades our credit rating, and states austerity cuts are the drag on the economy, not the recent tax hikes, and it's just Monday.

So, because you get embarrassed with the facts, you start this kind of nonsense?

I just finished embarrassing you over your conflation of Credit RATING with Credit OUTLOOK. And you repeat that nonsense here?

You don't learn very quickly, do you?

BTW, again... a new study shows that it's the tax increases dragging down the economy, not the sequester.

http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/index.php?/topic/149900-tax-hikes-not-spending-cuts-are-slowing-the-recovery/

oops.

Strange that political post holders would be political, huh jaydubyah? You're a bright one, you are. Bless your little heart.

hey, btw, hows that hopey-changey economy Bush promised way back? Work out for ya, did it?

RichClem, on 10 Jun 2013 - 16:52, said:

Except that we already know that Washington was deeply involved, and we've only begun to uncover the scandal.

Care to post the proof here, numbnuts?

He doesn't need to post any proof.

If he says so, it's true.

The other day he said that Tea Party groups were being unfairly 'audited' by the IRS.

When I asked him to prove it, he couldn't of course, so he ran.

See my siggy. LOL

http://i43.tinypic.com/eu1ops.jpg

The other day he said that Tea Party groups were being unfairly 'audited' by the IRS.

See my siggy. LOL

http://i43.tinypic.com/eu1ops.jpg

That's the bagger way. Lie often enough some dumbass is going to believe you. LOL

RichClem, on 10 Jun 2013 - 16:52, said:

Except that we already know that Washington was deeply involved, and we've only begun to uncover the scandal.

Oh my, another blatant lie. I said I don't need to prove it to you, because you're a shameless liar who'll ignore any and all evidence, just like you did about Clinton.

And I've posted very extensive evidence, just like I did about Clinton, almost every bit of which you dishonestly stonewalled.

Still can't find your way into my or other conservatives' threads to see the actual evidence?

Never thought you would.

See my siggy. LOL

Well gosh, if you siggy says something, it must be true! :D

Is this the best the liberal-left can do; shameless lying trolls and utter imbeciles?

Oh my, another blatant lie. I said I don't need to prove it to you, because you're a shameless liar who'll ignore any and all evidence, just like you did about Clinton.

Wrong Zippy. If you make a claim, you need to prove it.

You said:

Most (Tea Party groups) had trouble raising funds once donors found out about the audits, harassment and intrusive questions.

I asked you repeatedly to show me proof that one Tea Party group was complaining about being unfairly 'audited' and you just kept saying that it was posted in several threads, but refused to point out which ones or provide any kind of proof.

There are several threads about the topic, moonbat. If you're too lazy to read them, don't bother me.

You'll just stonewall and lie whatever evidence I cite.

So IOW you just made it up.

Got it.

I Googled 'tea party groups audited by the IRS' and got nothing.

Tea Party and other conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status are complaining about being singled out for extra review. I have read or heard nothing about any of them complaining about being audited.

And I'm the liar.

So because you're too freaking lazy to read the threads, I "made it up?" :D

You very, very rarely go into my threads, so of course you don't, snicker, "know" the evidence.

Is this the best the liberal-left can do? Shameless lying trolls?

You made a very specific accusation that the IRS has been 'auditing' Tea Party groups.

And when asked to prove it, you can't, because it is not true.

An IRS 'audit' is very different from being asked to answer questions when applying for tax exempt status.

You made a false claim, refused to prove it, then told me to go find some mystery threads where you say it was posted.

F*** you and your false accusation. You accused me of lying simply because I refused to provide you with info.

And with that the filthy liar ran away, but he lives to lie another day.

You post an obvious lie, then when asked to prove it, you say you don't have to prove anything to me because I'm a 'shameless liar who'll ignore any and all evidence'.

You really think you can get away with that crap? ROFL

Typical dishonest troll thread.

Why is Mediamatters and Moveon.org tax exempt???? Seems to me you libs want to keep bringing up the non political groups argument about the TEA Party, what about them? do they not meet your same criteria as being a political organization as you say about TEA Party groups????? Or is it because they are liberal organizations and that's just different!

Wrong Zippy. If you make a claim, you need to prove it.

You said:

I asked you repeatedly to show me proof that one Tea Party group was complaining about being unfairly 'audited' and you just kept saying that it was posted in several threads, but refused to point out which ones or provide any kind of proof.

You post an obvious lie, then when asked to prove it, you say you don't have to prove anything to me because I'm a 'shameless liar who'll ignore any and all evidence'.

You really think you can get away with that crap? ROFL

:huh:

Oh, I get it now. You want me to provide evidence to give you practice lying, stonewalling and defending Democrat impeachable acts.

What, you think you're getting rusty? :D

Silly troll.

Why is Mediamatters and Moveon.org tax exempt???? Seems to me you libs want to keep bringing up the non political groups argument about the TEA Party, what about them? do they not meet your same criteria as being a political organization as you say about TEA Party groups????? Or is it because they are liberal organizations and that's just different!

Anyone who is engaging in political activity, and not acting exclusively as a social welfare organization should not have tax exempt status. Clear enough for you?

Strange, eerie and weird that IRS highers-up have been apologizing all over themselves in Congressional hearings when all they would have had to say was the whole she-bang was started by a (get that I am using the correct terminology!) low-level REPUBLICAN operative!

Nah. If you have found the courage to suffer a train wreck for 5 years what's a week in the life of a "rightie?"

:D

At least the excuses are entertaining....much better than 'they were just doing their jobs' or, 'other groups were equally scrutinized'.......or, 'Bush targeted liberal groups'.....

In other words, all you have insults, fluff, and misdirection?

Where in your story is this claim supported?

What we DO know is that 3 Cincinnati IRS agents have pointed the finger at a IRS lawyer in DC who has since announced his retirement and deleted his facebook page.

Oh yea, and he's a Democrat.

Carter Hull's name is on letters that have been released to the media.

As you asked, where is the evidence that there was a Republican at the helm?

Anyone who is engaging in political activity, and not acting exclusively as a social welfare organization should not have tax exempt status. Clear enough for you?

That's not the law. "Clear enough for you?"

RichClem said: "Some had trouble getting officers. Most had trouble raising funds once donors found out about the audits, harassment and intrusive questions."

I asked you repeatedly to show me proof that one Tea Party group was complaining about being unfairly 'audited'

I'm only seeing what you quoted, but where did he say "Tea Party group was complaining about being unfairly audited". I see "...once donors found out about the audits..." in what you quoted.

Are you disputing there were audits at all, of anyone at all attached to this scandal? Or did RichClem actually say something about Tea Party groups themselves being audited, something you did not quote that I am missing?

"Becky Gerritson (Wetumpka Tea Party): I also have people e-mailing me that they are getting audited for the first time ever, and they gave during the campaign. So, I can't put a number how much, on how it has hindered our organization, but it has, because people have told me.”"

This was in Mrs. Gerritson's responses to the Ways and Means Committee. Mr. Kookogey said something similar, stating his concern that parents of his students would be audited or harassed if the student list was released.

I'm not sure what RichClem said on the matter, but there has been testimony that donors were audited, and fear they might be audited, which in turn would, IMO, make them less likely to be donors. This can be attributed to fear, but is it wrong to fear when the IRS has already admitted to wrongdoing on their part for the targeting thus far?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A U.S. Internal Revenue Service manager, who described himself as a conservative Republican, told congressional investigators that he and a local colleague decided to give conservative groups the extra scrutiny that has prompted weeks of political controversy.

7003.jpg