Weekend Retreat - Changed My Mind About Weekend Retreats

I am very tired coming from a group "weekend retreat"(both mentally and physically). It was a good experience where total strangers go into a rustic setting for 2 over-nights without telephones, internet and radio/tv. The interesting thing is the attitude change about the project in just two days and about each other (27 men 21 - 68 years old). The atmosphere starts cold, aloof but was completely changed by the end. All these guys who started out looking at each other wondering WTF came away 2 days later as a great team, cordial and supportive.

If you never have had the chance or refused it before, I recommend it. I was a total skeptic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came back into this forum just to check on things for the hell of it, posted one reply half-heartedly and left. Now I came back again just for the hell of it.

Lots of the same old tired rivalries, pointless jabs, etc don't seem worth it right now. Bickering from one "side" to the other is very stark just by reading the names of the posters.

Is there any big mystery about content/viewpoint when seeing most of these names? Not really.

I could place them on a scale left to right; almost to the point of such predictability there isn't a good reason to read the stuff. Animosity abounds as usual.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

My conclusion can only be that a lot of you should break away from this electronic nightmare for a while. Maybe even try a similar forced isolation to remove the temptation of calls, email, etc for a couple days. It surprised me how much good it did.

See you soon. No hurry though . . . ^_^

I am very tired coming from a group "weekend retreat"(both mentally and physically). It was a good experience where total strangers go into a rustic setting for 2 over-nights without telephones, internet and radio/tv. The interesting thing is the attitude change about the project in just two days and about each other (27 men 21 - 68 years old). The atmosphere starts cold, aloof but was completely changed by the end. All these guys who started out looking at each other wondering WTF came away 2 days later as a great team, cordial and supportive.

If you never have had the chance or refused it before, I recommend it. I was a total skeptic.

I came back into this forum just to check on things for the hell of it, posted one reply half-heartedly and left. Now I came back again just for the hell of it.

Lots of the same old tired rivalries, pointless jabs, etc don't seem worth it right now. Bickering from one "side" to the other is very stark just by reading the names of the posters.

Is there any big mystery about content/viewpoint when seeing most of these names? Not really.

I could place them on a scale left to right; almost to the point of such predictability there isn't a good reason to read the stuff. Animosity abounds as usual.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

My conclusion can only be that a lot of you should break away from this electronic nightmare for a while. Maybe even try a similar forced isolation to remove the temptation of calls, email, etc for a couple days. It surprised me how much good it did.

Congrats on the perception altering experience. Good stuff.

I've done a few things like that. The most mind blowing was at a place called the Monroe Institute in Faber, VA, where we did 8 days of deep , guided hemispheric synchronization work, using binaural beats.

Came away from that in love with humanity. I thank golf boy for teaching me to hate again. :)

Retreat from reality by living in the real moment. Don't need to find a group of 27 guys trying to bond with societal evolution.. We all live within now and this moment is the same moment all 24 hours.

Relativity is which part of the planet is moving by event horizons that never moved as substance moving is never stationary, even within a dead body, the molecular part is decomposing back into original form absorbed by the fertilized cell while they lived their entire lifetime passing through now.

the simplicity is overwhelming and in the same time, serenity..

Just like church and state are separate, so is time and money.

Why do homos enjoy that kind of stuff?

We do that quite a bit.

It's called Remote Camping.

Generally it involves lotsa beer, The Polish, guns, fish poles and bong logs.

Was thinking the same, it usually involves good whiskey, several decks of cards, cigars and twat jokes.

As expected only better:

a) Title

b) Theme

c) Activities

Thanks fellas

_____

My weekend had a group of men that are married to women. To each "his" own though.

Thx CP :)

--- --- --- --- --- ---

I had a similar few days...except at a campout bluegrass festival. I got to know better friends I knew.....made a bunch of new friends...and ...yeah..got away from the "usual rut". I guess the difference ...lots of music,some beer and moonshine, lovely ladies...and a few thunderstorms to muddy up the trails. It's good to "get away" and it's good to learn to respect and appreciate others in a new context.

Why do homos enjoy that kind of stuff?

maybe cause boring jerks like you...ain't there?

I had a similar few days...except at a campout bluegrass festival. I got to know better friends I knew.....made a bunch of new friends...and ...yeah..got away from the "usual rut". I guess the difference ...lots of music,some beer and moonshine, lovely ladies...and a few thunderstorms to muddy up the trails. It's good to "get away" and it's good to learn to respect and appreciate others in a new context.

I have been to a similar festival many years in a row. Big party, fun, nice. Not the same though.

The weekend retreat to which I refer is meant to build a team unity and common goals among strangers. Sometimes a company will do that for employees and it can be a good experience as well. But there are strangers mixed with friends and company politics never can be entirely ignored.

This was different.

Total strangers may never see each other again unless they actually try. No hurt feelings if you never do though. Like i said, it was good and i learned about people.

btw The reaction from this board is just about what I expected. I don't care. If one person thinks I'm slightly less an asshole, I'm glad I posted it. Slightly less is better than nothing.

One of my favorite bits in stand up comedy is Kevin Meaney's "I DON'T CARE" song. If he didn't do anything else, that made up for it. Just a few seconds of freedom is all it amounts to. :)

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=aaplw&p=kevin+meaney+i+don't+care

--- --- --- --- --- ---

you are so right...you are right about all of it...however i would like to make one point....skews and cc arent allowed to go out side, let alone leave the complex...hahahahahaha

Same reason USPS employees do. Mail bonding.

we do sh it like what deezer described...only we call it huntn camp....during the summer we do another similar thing...we call it fishin trips...in the winter we call it...getting drunk at the neighbors

I know these retreats are very popular with our government liberals; especially since the American tax payer foots the bill. Known as parasitic perks.

Screen-shot-2012-04-16-at-2.47.31-PM.png

Screen-shot-2012-04-16-at-2.51.12-PM.png

Screen-shot-2012-04-16-at-2.52.40-PM.png

Let me get back to my "Burning Arseholes At The Stake" proposal.

Well, I'll just mention the obvious forgotten point.

This was a group of total strangers.

and:

Politics and business were NOT part of the agenda.

No drinking or drugs.

Even with that being the case, it was STILL an informative and good experience. I walked away feeling serene and just a bit more accepting of my fellow man.

Watch the Kevin Meaney one minute video. Only once. It will confirm my thoughts on your opinions ; )

I would like to do something like that. Totally unplug.

When I was a little girl we had a lake place. We spent every weekend in the summer there.

I would get up before the sun and go fishing off the dock for Bass. Sometimes it was so foggy I couldn't see the bobber after i casted it out. I would be quiet and listen to nature. Several times great blue herons would land close to shore and eat. Golden Eagles would soar just above the tree line and the snapping turtles would make their grinding noises.

I always threw the fish back.

Sometimes I would lure a mud turtle close to the dock and net it and keep it for the weekend.

In the afternoons i would take my dog and my gun and go walk in the woods. I would lay in the grass and pretend I was a dog too. I watched the bugs and birds and once in a while there would be a fox or skunk or porcupine that would wander by.

It was my escape. I was rewarded for being quiet. I am still in love with all of nature, but I am no longer quiet. I need to relearn that.

I am glad it was a good experience for you.