Does the Bible define marriage as one man, one woman?

Those in the God Club are all about making up fake Bible passages.

Here's another.

I'm Konfident that some of our resident GCers will waddle down here and take issue.

A trio of Iowa-based religious scholars penned an op-ed in a local paper this week, reminding readers that despite popular opinion, the Bible does not simply define marriage as between one man and one woman.

The joint editorial was written by Hector Avalos, Robert R. Cargill and Kenneth Atkinson and published in the Des Moines Register on Sunday. The men teach at Iowa State University, University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa, respectively.

"The debate about marriage equality often centers, however discretely, on an appeal to the Bible," the authors wrote. "Unfortunately, such appeals often reflect a lack of biblical literacy on the part of those who use that complex collection of texts as an authority to enact modern social policy."

The Bible's definition of marriage can be confusing and contradictory, noted the scholars. They stated in their column that a primary example of this is the religious book's stance on polygamy, a practice that was embraced by prominent biblical figures Abraham and David. Furthermore, Avalos, Cargill and Atkinson point out that various Bible passages mention not only traditional monogamy, but also self-induced castration and celibacy, as well as the practice of wedding rape victims to their rapists.

In an interview with The Huffington Post, Iowa University Professor Robert R. Cargillsaid the column was the brainchild of his colleague Hector Avalos, who suggested local scholars put together an "educated response" to the often-touted claim that the Bible defines marriage as solely between one man and one woman. "[T]hat's not the only thing the Bible says," Cargill told HuffPost.

He explained that it is obvious to scholars (and some religious leaders) that the Bible endorses a wide range of relationships. But he noted, however, that professors are "terrified" of the potential backlash that might result from opening a dialogue about these relationships. Cargill also noted that the initial response to the Register column has included its fair share of vitriol.

Ultimately, said Cargill, a Biblical "argument against same-sex marriage is wholly unsustainable. We all know this, but very few scholars are talking about it, because they don't want to take the heat."

He suggested that academics who continue to be cowed by a strident opposition do a disservice to their communities.

"Most people aren't dumb, they want to make an informed decision" on religiously charged questions, Cargill said. "If scholars aren't talking to them, they have to rely on talk show hosts and pundits, and that's not the most reliable source of information."

Cargill also realizes that there are some people he may never be able to convince.

Many politicians have made a career out of using the Bible to justify opposition to hot-button topics like same-sex marriage or abortion. Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), for example, told a crowd of evangelicals in April that Americans cannot "retreat from our values and fail to make the case on issues like marriage -- because it is one man, one woman -- because God said it is."

Cargill said Bachman and her like-minded colleagues use a strategy he calls "cherry picking" to appeal to their base.

"Politicians who use the Bible aren't necessarily interested in the truth or the complexity of the Bible," he said. "They are looking for one ancient sound bite to convince people what they already believe."

Anyone who argues that "the Bible speaks plainly on one issue, especially something as complicated as marriage ... haven't take the time to read all of it," he added.

From http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/06/biblical-marriage-iowa-scholars-op-ed_n_3397304.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

cc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some of you homo's refer to your SO as your wife, but I don't think that's what the bible is referring to.

If your homo mate's breasts satisfy you, I may look at this differently.

• Genesis 2:22-24
    Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man." For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
  • Proverbs 5:18-19
    May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. A loving doe, a graceful deer-- may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love.
  • Proverbs 12:4
    A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.
  • Proverbs 18:22
    He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.
  • Proverbs 19:14
    Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the LORD.
  • Proverbs 20:6-7
    Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find? The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him.
  • Proverbs 30:18-19
    "There are three things that are too amazing for me, four that I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a snake on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a maiden.
  • Proverbs 31:10
    A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
  • Deuteronomy 24:5
    If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married.
  • Matthew 19:4-6
    "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
  • 1 Corinthians 7:1-16
    Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
  • Ephesians 5:22-23
    Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
  • Colossians 3:18-19
    Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
  • Hebrews 13:4-7
    Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.
  • Mark 10:6-9
    "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

Jesus said marriage is a man and a woman. Chapter 19 of Matthew. The Christophobes don't like that verse.

Here's another.

I'm Konfident that some of our resident GCers will waddle down here and take issue.

A trio of Iowa-based religious scholars penned an op-ed in a local paper this week, reminding readers that despite popular opinion, the Bible does not simply define marriage as between one man and one woman.

The joint editorial was written by Hector Avalos, Robert R. Cargill and Kenneth Atkinson and published in the Des Moines Register on Sunday. The men teach at Iowa State University, University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa, respectively.

"The debate about marriage equality often centers, however discretely, on an appeal to the Bible," the authors wrote. "Unfortunately, such appeals often reflect a lack of biblical literacy on the part of those who use that complex collection of texts as an authority to enact modern social policy."

The Bible's definition of marriage can be confusing and contradictory, noted the scholars. They stated in their column that a primary example of this is the religious book's stance on polygamy, a practice that was embraced by prominent biblical figures Abraham and David. Furthermore, Avalos, Cargill and Atkinson point out that various Bible passages mention not only traditional monogamy, but also self-induced castration and celibacy, as well as the practice of wedding rape victims to their rapists.

In an interview with The Huffington Post, Iowa University Professor Robert R. Cargillsaid the column was the brainchild of his colleague Hector Avalos, who suggested local scholars put together an "educated response" to the often-touted claim that the Bible defines marriage as solely between one man and one woman. "[T]hat's not the only thing the Bible says," Cargill told HuffPost.

He explained that it is obvious to scholars (and some religious leaders) that the Bible endorses a wide range of relationships. But he noted, however, that professors are "terrified" of the potential backlash that might result from opening a dialogue about these relationships. Cargill also noted that the initial response to the Register column has included its fair share of vitriol.

Ultimately, said Cargill, a Biblical "argument against same-sex marriage is wholly unsustainable. We all know this, but very few scholars are talking about it, because they don't want to take the heat."

He suggested that academics who continue to be cowed by a strident opposition do a disservice to their communities.

"Most people aren't dumb, they want to make an informed decision" on religiously charged questions, Cargill said. "If scholars aren't talking to them, they have to rely on talk show hosts and pundits, and that's not the most reliable source of information."

Cargill also realizes that there are some people he may never be able to convince.

Many politicians have made a career out of using the Bible to justify opposition to hot-button topics like same-sex marriage or abortion. Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), for example, told a crowd of evangelicals in April that Americans cannot "retreat from our values and fail to make the case on issues like marriage -- because it is one man, one woman -- because God said it is."

Cargill said Bachman and her like-minded colleagues use a strategy he calls "cherry picking" to appeal to their base.

"Politicians who use the Bible aren't necessarily interested in the truth or the complexity of the Bible," he said. "They are looking for one ancient sound bite to convince people what they already believe."

Anyone who argues that "the Bible speaks plainly on one issue, especially something as complicated as marriage ... haven't take the time to read all of it," he added.

From http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/06/biblical-marriage-iowa-scholars-op-ed_n_3397304.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

cc

Christians are well aware of these types of miscreants who go around acting like experts on the Scriptures. Jesus warned us all about the "wolves in sheep's clothing". Whenever you feel like you're ready, please take your best shot. I don't believe you're equipped to take me on.

Jesus said marriage is a man and a woman. Chapter 19 of Matthew. The Christophobes don't like that verse.

Christians are well aware of these types of miscreants who go around acting like experts on the Scriptures. Jesus warned us all about the "wolves in sheep's clothing".

stalk any new people that deserve your criminal activity there, molotov? HAHAHAHAHHA... now there is a sincere christian.

i can prove to you that not only is marriage NOT between same gender individuals...is most importantly an institution to strengthen a FAMILY bond...but you will have to pay me to do it...i am sick of educating you retards for free.

I know some of you homo's refer to your SO as your wife, but I don't think that's what the bible is referring to.

If your homo mate's breasts satisfy you, I may look at this differently.

• Genesis 2:22-24
    Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man." For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
  • Proverbs 5:18-19
    May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. A loving doe, a graceful deer-- may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love.
  • Proverbs 12:4
    A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.
  • Proverbs 18:22
    He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.
  • Proverbs 19:14
    Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the LORD.
  • Proverbs 20:6-7
    Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find? The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him.
  • Proverbs 30:18-19
    "There are three things that are too amazing for me, four that I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a snake on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a maiden.
  • Proverbs 31:10
    A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
  • Deuteronomy 24:5
    If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married.
  • Matthew 19:4-6
    "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
  • 1 Corinthians 7:1-16
    Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
  • Ephesians 5:22-23
    Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
  • Colossians 3:18-19
    Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.
  • Hebrews 13:4-7
    Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.
  • Mark 10:6-9
    "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

hey fu ck you ray j...i was trying to make some fu cking money here :D

stalk any new people that deserve your criminal activity there, molotov? HAHAHAHAHHA... now there is a sincere christian.

Peddle that crap to some naïve college kid. Pretending I'm someone else is a fun game for kids. Let me know when you are ready to say something.

Christians are well aware of these types of miscreants who go around acting like experts on the Scriptures. Jesus warned us all about the "wolves in sheep's clothing". Whenever you feel like you're ready, please take your best shot. I don't believe you're equipped to take me on.

Matthew said that not jesus . You know that the religion of Jesus the land of Jesus , Israel just legalized gay marriage right ?

Peddle that crap to some naïve college kid. Pretending I'm someone else is a fun game for kids. Let me know when you are ready to say something.

Oh Mildred!

"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." -- Timothy 2:11

So "shhhhhh!" cuz the Bible tells us so!

Matthew said that not jesus . You know that the religion of Jesus the land of Jesus , Israel just legalized gay marriage right ?

No, I don't know that. The nation of Israel and it's govt has nothing to do with discussion of Christian Scripture.

Here's another.

cc

I love it when Atheist call themselves Religious Scholars.

Oh Mildred!

"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." -- Timothy 2:11

That does not negate what Jesus said in Matthew, marriage is a man and a woman. That's an entirely different topic. You're confused, dear.

Neither should you. See the Bible quotation from Timothy above.

That scripture has nothing to do regarding what Jesus said about marriage. You're confused, dear.

You do know Mildred that by even talking to me you....yes YOU....are going against scripture (Timothy 2:11) just as much as gays are wanting to be married. Just sayin'

Peddle your crap to some naïve college kid. Just sayin'! When you're equipped to enter the arena, let me know.

produce the verse

What verse do you want?

Peddle your crap to some naïve college kid. Just sayin'! When you're equipped to enter the arena, let me know.

Millie unless you are a cross-dressing Mister, you're sinning here in front of God and everybody. Are you denying Timothy 2:11? Are you saying the Bible (the holiest of holies) is CRAP Millie?

Millie unless you are a cross-dressing Mister, you're sinning here in front of God and everybody. Are you denying Timothy 2:11? Are you saying the Bible (the holiest of holies) is CRAP Millie?

When you're ready to enter the arena, let me know.

Oh Mildred!

Pertains to wives and husbands. So unless you are married to Mildred, your attempt here is invalid.

That does not negate what Jesus said in Matthew, marriage is a man and a woman. That's an entirely different topic. You're confused, dear.

He's trying to shut you up, but unless he is married to you, he has no say in the matter.

no. the bible says marriage is about 1 man marrying as many women as he wants.

Reporting historical events is not the same as condoning historical events.

You sure you bone smokers wanna hang your fate on the teachings of the bible?

Leviticus 20:13
"If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense."

You sure you bone smokers wanna hang your fate on the teachings of the bible?

Leviticus 20:13

"If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense."

Christians do not live under Levitical law. You're not equipped for this topic.

Christians do not live under Levitical law. You're not equipped for this topic.

they do live under the teachings of the apostle paul in his epistles, though. and the end of romans 1 reiterates that all homos are deserving of death.

they do live under the teachings of the apostle paul in his epistles, though. and the end of romans 1 reiterates that all homos are deserving of death.

Yes, the Christian church of the New Testament Scriptures condemns homosexuality, clearly. The hatred of Christians is not an accident. Homosexuality is Christophobic. Phobia is "fear". The fear of God and his followers boils over in homosexuals with vile hatred.