New York Times: Obama Has 'Lost All Credibility'

In a lead editorial published in The New York Times Thursday afternoon, the paper slammed President Barack Obama's "dragnet" of Americans. With new wiretapping and surveillance allegations involving Verizon, the Times said Obama "has been caught overreaching in the use of his powers."

The Times added: "This sort of tracking can reveal a lot of personal and intimate information about an individual. To casually permit this surveillance — with the American public having no idea that the executive branch is now exercising this power — fundamentally shifts power between the individual and the state, and repudiates constitutional principles governing search, seizure and privacy."
Read the Full Story — Go Here Now

There is no 100% safety from terrorism and conversely there will be no 100% privacy.

~snip

Obama made his first public comments on a dramatic set of revelations which began to expose the vast sweep of secret US intelligence infrastructure, sustained and extended since the September 11 attacks in 2001.

“Nobody is listening to your telephone calls,” Obama said in San Jose, California, hitting out at what he said was “hype” over reports that the National Security Agency (NSA) logs details of millions of domestic calls.

Obama also defended a program called PRISM in which NSA and FBI agents are tapping into the servers of nine US Internet giants, including Facebook, Google, YouTube, Apple and others, as they try to subvert terror plots abroad.

“This does not apply to US citizens. And it does not apply to people living in the United States,” Obama said.

Civil liberties and privacy groups have raised alarm at the two programs, reported by the Guardian and Washington Post newspapers, warning they are “Orwellian” and could be unconstitutional.

Obama said he welcomed the debate, but warned that the programs had previously been kept under wraps to avoid tipping off America's enemies, and said they made only “modest encroachments” on privacy.

“I think it's important to recognize that you can't have 100 per cent security and also then have 100 per cent privacy and zero inconvenience. We're going to have to make some choices as a society,” he said.

He repeatedly argued that Congress had been kept fully apprised of the activity, and had voted to authorize it. Federal and secret intelligence courts were also used to ensure that the authorities were not abused.

The Washington Post, citing a career intelligence officer, reported late Thursday that the NSA had direct access to Internet firm servers, to track an individual's web presence via audio, video, photographs and emails.

The paper said the leak came from a career intelligence officer “with firsthand experience of these systems and horror at their capabilities.””They quite literally can watch your ideas form as you type,” the officer was quoted as saying.

Internet giants however denied opening their doors for US spy agencies.

“We have never heard of PRISM,” said Apple spokesman Steve Dowling.

“We do not provide any government agency with direct access to our servers, and any government agency requesting customer data must get a court order.”

Facebook's chief security officer Joe Sullivan said the huge social network did not provide any access to government organizations.

As a damage control operation gathered pace, America's top spy chief James Clapper warned that data gathered under the program was “among the most important and valuable foreign intelligence information we collect.”

”The unauthorized disclosure of information about this important and entirely legal program is reprehensible and risks important protections for the security of Americans,” said Clapper, the director of national intelligence.

Claims of the Internet spy operation broke as Washington reeled from a Guardian newspaper report on Wednesday detailing an apparent operation by the NSA to capture millions of domestic phone records.

Mike Rogers, Republican chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, said the program had stopped a terrorist attack on US soil.

Advocates say the data, collected on calls inside and outside the United States by the NSA, can be crunched to show patterns of communication to alert spy agencies to possible planning for terror attacks.

http://beta.dawn.com/news/1016712/obama-defends-surveillance-dragnet

I love watching liberals run away from their precious "right to privacy" whenever it's convenient.

I love to see idiots like you blame Obama for doing the same thing as Bush did....which I would wager to guess....you spent 8 years waving the flag.

One big difference between Bush and Obama. This president has kept us safe. Bush obviously didn't.

Read the Full Story — Go Here Now

I got a good laugh out of the thought of you reading the NYT. We all know that would be impossible since it's written above a 4th grade reading level.

I love to see idiots like you blame Obama for doing the same thing as Bush did....which I would wager to guess....you spent 8 years waving the flag.

One big difference between Bush and Obama. This president has kept us safe. Bush obviously didn't.

Obama has greatly expanded what Bush did, and hypocrites like you will get on your knees and take whatever Obama shoves down your throat. It's too bad you're not man enough to admit the truth.

And if you think Obama has kept us safe, ask Ambassador Stevens how that worked out for him.

Oh wait, you can't. He's dead. Died while Obama slept, preparing for a big campaign event.

I love to see idiots like you blame Obama for doing the same thing as Bush did....

but its ok with hypocrites li8ke you that oblamer lied about the patriot act

campaigned against it,

that was you waving the patriot flag under 2 faced oblamer the liar

dumbazz...

After 9/11 how many terrorists attacks were there in the US???? NONE

How many terrorist attacks have there been under Obama???? Hard to count since Major Hasan took guns and killed 13 wounding 32 while yelling "Alahu akbar" while firing 214 rounds of ammunition before he was shot. But this is just workplace violence not terrorism according to the vaunted president. Because of the ruling the people killed and wounded are not receiving the benefits that armed forces personel get when being wounded or killed in action. If it was correctly labeled a terrorist action then they would get these benefits. Your vaunted president in action, Obfuscation rules. Never call a terrorist happening what it is.

Obama has greatly expanded what Bush did, and hypocrites like you will get on your knees and take whatever Obama shoves down your throat.

And he did so after condemning what Bush did, and promising this in 2007:

You know I taught constitutional law for 10 years at the University of Chicago, so um your next President will actually believe in the Constitution which you can’t say about your current President.

In today’s environment in particular I want Supreme Court Justices who are vigilant about civil liberties. Because I think that when people are afraid--and terrorism has created fear--then that’s when the greatest danger to civil liberties happens. It’s easy to be for civil liberties when there are no threats. It’s when there are threats that you start seeing civil liberties chipped away at. So I want a President I want a Supreme Court that is not just giving the President a blank check for whatever power grab he or she is engaging in.

By the way that also means that when I’m President one of the first things I’m going to do is call in my attorney general and say to him or her I want you to review every executive order that’s been issued by George Bush--whether it relates to warrantless wiretaps, or detaining people or reading e-mails, or whatever it is--I want you to go through every single one of them and if they are unconstitutional or they are encroaching on civil liberties unnecessarily we are going to overturn them, we are going to change them.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/185105/18-of-21-a-president-who-believes-in-the-constitution.jhtml#id=1572958

I got a good laugh out of the thought of you reading the NYT. We all know that would be impossible since it's written above a 4th grade reading level.

I disagree. There have been more than a few terrorist attacks since Obama became President. More than twice as many soldiers killed in Afghanistan under Obama than Bush, although our corrupt media will not make that a drum beat like when Bush was President. The extremists are upset that Obama killed Osama. What was it liberals were telling us about Bush pissing them off thereby creating more terrorists? Same thing applies.

Obama has greatly expanded what Bush did, and hypocrites like you will get on your knees and take whatever Obama shoves down your throat. It's too bad you're not man enough to admit the truth.

And if you think Obama has kept us safe, ask Ambassador Stevens how that worked out for him.

Oh wait, you can't. He's dead. Died while Obama slept, preparing for a big campaign event.

you dumba$$'s scream about fighting terrorism, but when something is actually done, then you begin to scream, Oh no don't do anything we were just s--ting you. I guess if you are a con, you figure you can have it both ways. If he didn't do it then you would complain that he was leaving us open to terrorist attacks. Why would Obama give a s--t what cons think, since they will take the opposite side even if it is a detriment to their own safety. The collecting of the information is even supported by some of your con congressmen, but I'm sure that a know it all punk kid like you knows better than everyone else, you simpleton sack of manure. Man you need a job bad kid, and we are damn tired of paying for your freeloading a$$ sitting at a computer all day long, and typing out your weird and twisted view of any and all situations. I would call your bulls--t propaganda,, but propaganda is usually thought out, but what you spout can only be classified as stupid.

obama is a dino who does not give a rat's ass about workers.

obama is a ball less gas bag who has bent over and let

republicans screw him and americans since 2009.

obama is just the third term of bush and cheney, continuing

their wars, continuing to ship jobs to china instead of imposing

import taxes on imported crap, keeps letting illegals come into

this country, continuing to let the rich pay one third the taxes of

the poor and middle class workers, continuing the UNpatriotic

act of destroying the US Constitution.

The only good thing about obama is that he is not the criminal

that the repuke candidates for president are.

obama is a dino who does not give a rat's ass about workers.

obama is a ball less gas bag who has bent over and let

republicans screw him and americans since 2009.

obama is just the third term of bush and cheney, continuing

their wars, continuing to ship jobs to china instead of imposing

import taxes on imported crap, keeps letting illegals come into

this country, continuing to let the rich pay one third the taxes of

the poor and middle class workers, continuing the UNpatriotic

act of destroying the US Constitution.

The only good thing about obama is that he is not the criminal

that the repuke candidates for president are.

And you voted for him twice.

Congratulations.

I don't think.

The first intelligent thing you've said.

And I love seeing you idiot hypocrite libturds, praise, and defend Obama for doing the very same things you whined and protested Bush for doing..

And I love seeing you idiot hypocrite libturds, praise, and defend Obama for doing the very same things you whined and protested Bush for doing..

translation: I don't read the NYT. The reading level is way too high for me.

Bill Maher Admits The Real Reason For Amnesty: Immigration Reform Will “Just Create More Democrats”

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/06/09/obama-mega-donor-bill-maher-admits-the-real-reason-for-amnesty-immigration-reform-will-just-create-more-democrats/

ANA NAVARRO, REPUBLICAN STRATEGIST: Now you are agreeing with Ann Coulter.

MAHER: I’m agreeing with facts.

Ah....those pesky facts again. They always get republicans/conservatives in trouble.

ANA NAVARRO, REPUBLICAN STRATEGIST: Now you are agreeing with Ann Coulter.

MAHER: I’m agreeing with facts.

Ah....those pesky facts again. They always get republicans/conservatives in trouble.

That's why Romney/Ryan kept hundreds of fact checkers in business before the election. Their lies came faster than the Hick can go to the fridge for his next beer.