Why Young People Don't Vote Republican

From the opinion pages, but it really hit's one out of the park. It raises the question: Are repubs willing to learn anything, or will they continue to advocate archaic, puritanical, knuckle-dragging policies? Why Young People Don’t Vote Republican By ANDREW ROSENTHAL

632013report-blog480.jpg
Young Republicans?

There has been no shortage of Republican post-mortems on the 2012 presidential election — and no shortage of apologists who claimed the party need only change its rhetoric (and stop nominating members of the legitimate-rape caucus) to attract women, minorities and young people.

The latest of these analyses, focused on voters aged 18-29, sometimes falls into the apologist/rebranding trap. It suggests, for example, that abortion is a problematic topic for the G.O.P. because young people “conflate” abortion with Planned Parenthood, contraception and women’s health care in general — as though Republican officeholders and candidates across the country hadn’t done their best to draw that connection.

But the report is far more candid than other post-mortems. It could also be far more helpful if it pushes the G.O.P. to examine the actual policies, rather than the slogans, that turn off young voters.

The report points out that a better Facebook page is not going to help much if voters don’t like your ideas. It says younger voters aren’t particularly wary of “big government,” for example, which has been a central Republican bogeyman for decades.

Younger voters don’t buy Republican dogma that lowering taxes on rich people will generate jobs and help everyone. In a survey conducted for the group in March, 54 percent of young voters said that “taxes should go up on the wealthy,” while only 31 percent said “taxes should be cut for everyone.”

Noting that many young Americans reported putting off marrying or having children because of the state of the economy, the report said: “It is extraordinarily important for Republicans to have a plan that can grow the economy and that ultimately allows young people to make these choices about family and home on their own terms.”

The most damning conclusions lay in the survey’s examination of how people view the two major parties in terms of broad attributes. For Democrats, young voters chose “tolerant,” “diverse” and “open-minded,” while for Republicans they often chose “rich” and “religious.”

In focus groups in January, the report said, young voters were asked to list leaders of the Democratic Party. “They named prominent former or currently elected officials: Pelosi, the Clintons, Obama, Kennedy, Gore. When those same respondents were asked to name Republican leaders, they focused heavily on media personalities and commentators: Bill O’Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck.”

So it’s not terribly surprising that when they were asked what words came to mind when they heard “Republican Party,” the results “were brutal — closed-minded, racist, rigid, old-fashioned.”

SOURCE

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the opinion pages, but it really hit's one out of the park. It raises the question: Are repubs willing to learn anything, or will they continue to advocate archaic, puritanical, knuckle-dragging policies? Why Young People Don’t Vote Republican By ANDREW ROSENTHAL

632013report-blog480.jpg
Young Republicans?

There has been no shortage of Republican post-mortems on the 2012 presidential election — and no shortage of apologists who claimed the party need only change its rhetoric (and stop nominating members of the legitimate-rape caucus) to attract women, minorities and young people.

The latest of these analyses, focused on voters aged 18-29, sometimes falls into the apologist/rebranding trap. It suggests, for example, that abortion is a problematic topic for the G.O.P. because young people “conflate” abortion with Planned Parenthood, contraception and women’s health care in general — as though Republican officeholders and candidates across the country hadn’t done their best to draw that connection.

But the report is far more candid than other post-mortems. It could also be far more helpful if it pushes the G.O.P. to examine the actual policies, rather than the slogans, that turn off young voters.

The report points out that a better Facebook page is not going to help much if voters don’t like your ideas. It says younger voters aren’t particularly wary of “big government,” for example, which has been a central Republican bogeyman for decades.

Younger voters don’t buy Republican dogma that lowering taxes on rich people will generate jobs and help everyone. In a survey conducted for the group in March, 54 percent of young voters said that “taxes should go up on the wealthy,” while only 31 percent said “taxes should be cut for everyone.”

Noting that many young Americans reported putting off marrying or having children because of the state of the economy, the report said: “It is extraordinarily important for Republicans to have a plan that can grow the economy and that ultimately allows young people to make these choices about family and home on their own terms.”

The most damning conclusions lay in the survey’s examination of how people view the two major parties in terms of broad attributes. For Democrats, young voters chose “tolerant,” “diverse” and “open-minded,” while for Republicans they often chose “rich” and “religious.”

In focus groups in January, the report said, young voters were asked to list leaders of the Democratic Party. “They named prominent former or currently elected officials: Pelosi, the Clintons, Obama, Kennedy, Gore. When those same respondents were asked to name Republican leaders, they focused heavily on media personalities and commentators: Bill O’Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck.”

So it’s not terribly surprising that when they were asked what words came to mind when they heard “Republican Party,” the results “were brutal — closed-minded, racist, rigid, old-fashioned.”

I'll add a word to the list in the last sentence: "frightened."

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/fearmongering-h/

The article above, and what it implies, explains a great deal re conservative need for guns, their dislike for anyone not like them, their distrust of new ideas, and hatred for people who disagree with them.

The article above, and what it implies, explains a great deal re conservative need for guns, their dislike for anyone not like them, their distrust of new ideas, and hatred for people who disagree with them.

That's the picture you want to paint to young people....look up to my first post.

Young people are easily deceived by left wing propaganda. Older adults not so much.

Depends on your beliefs. Older adults (70-plus) grew up in a world where there weren't so many scams, where in many businesses, employee and employer were loyal to one another. Where there was respect for authority. Many of them are easily deceived by political propaganda.

attn !!

pcs libs AVOID THIS POST it makes you look like fools

the young and dumb fell for oblamers lies

they are slowly realizing their mistake

some are just slower than others...

oblamer "I will cut the deficit in half in my first year"

Depends on your beliefs. Older adults (70-plus) grew up in a world where there weren't so many scams, where in many businesses, employee and employer were loyal to one another. Where there was respect for authority. Many of them are easily deceived by political propaganda.

So you agree that it is political deception that has influenced young people to believe that being republican and having a value system along with showing respect has been an indoctrination of the liberal left....That's what I'm saying too.

LOL, yea because "progressives" are so open minded and tolerant.

As long as you don't disagree with them.

Weak. Very weak.

You'll have to do better.

cc

With you? In response to THAT post?

free-sexy-smileys-943.gif

With you? In response to THAT post?

free-sexy-smileys-943.gif

^^ very telling

homo

If you aren't liberal when you're young, you don't have a heart.

If you aren't conservative when you grow up, you don't have a brain.

Rebel58=brainless wonder.

Poor Loser can't attack the message, which is good, showing how out of touch with reality you are, how far in denial you have become as your party crumbles around you, as you lose big contributors and massive amounts of voters to the left. lol poor boy.........hehehehehehee X10!

attn !!

pcs libs AVOID THIS POST it makes you look like fools

the young and dumb fell for oblamers lies

they are slowly realizing their mistake

some are just slower than others...

oblamer "I will cut the deficit in half in my first year"

Wouldn't you know I would have a logical answer for your sorrow.

THE PARTY OF NO. THE PARTY OF DO WHATEVER IT TAKES. THE PARTY OF TOP PRIORITY TO PREVENT THE RE-ELECTION OF OBAMA. THE PARTY OF I DON'T CARE IF AMERICANS HAVE JOBS OR NOT. THE PARTY OF LET DETROIT GO BANKRUPT. THE PARTY OF OUTSOURCING IS A GOOD THING. THE PARTY OF DOWN SIZING, THE PARTY OF OFF SHORING, THE PARTY OF MURDER, TORTURE AND RAPE, THE PARTY OF CORPORATIONS OVER HUMANS, THE PARTY OF HATE, THE PARTY OF RIDICULING AMERICANS, THE PARTY OF PERSONAL DESTRUCTION, THE PARTY OF DESTROYING AMERICA, THE PARTY OF CLASS WARFARE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTevk8Au4EI

The "gotta have it now culture" of the young generation fits nicely in with the freebies leftist / regressives like to hand out with other peoples money. What's the unemployment rate for this generation these days? They want it all now, and on someone elses dime of course. Let em' learn the hard way.

I'm 29 Voted Romney Majority of my friends did to A few that voted Obama in his first term voted Romney also.. My buddy Kenny said he bit on the change b.s the first time but the ndaa Obama signed kept him from voting Obama his 2nd term

Which is a very isolated incident and doesn't really apply to America's youth getting turned off by the rethuglicans and their low-brow, knuckle-dragging policies.

And FYI, about your sig line, the correct lyrics are "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle with you..". The song is called Stuck in the Middle With You by Stealers Wheel, not Steve Miller.

The "gotta have it now culture" of the young generation fits nicely in with the freebies leftist / regressives like to hand out with other peoples money. What's the unemployment rate for this generation these days? They want it all now, and on someone elses dime of course. Let em' learn the hard way.

Not that you've got any comprehension ability to speak of, but it's been the congressional rethuglicans thwarting economic progress and job growth. America's youth isn't nearly as stupid as you are.

The net is filled with stories from young voters who regret voting for Odumbo.

And those are vastly outnumbered by more enlightened youth who rightfully mistrust the sinister agenda of the rethuglicans.

Not that you've got any comprehension ability to speak of, but it's been the congressional rethuglicans thwarting economic progress and job growth. America's youth isn't nearly as stupid as you are.

And those are vastly outnumbered by more enlightened youth who rightfully mistrust the sinister agenda of the rethuglicans.

Always passing the buck I see, so much for responsibility for ones actions or often, inactions.

Not surprising.......unemployment by age group.