Tea Party Whining Backfires As All Political Groups Could Lose Tax Exe

http://www.politicususa.com/hey-tea-party-illegal-disguise-political-action-social-welfare-groups.html

Republicans paraded Tea Partiers in front of the cameras Tuesday to decry the “jackboot” of tyranny descending upon them via the IRS, never realizing that they are all in violation of the law.

Tea Partiers put on an embarrassing display of ignorance combined with a staggering sense of entitlement with the following hyperbolic claims:

“This is about tyranny on the field of our founding documents.”
“I feel our country turned a corner into tyranny.”
“I am not here as a vessel, I am not begging the lords for mercy.”

Republicans made a huge miscalculation in bringing national attention to the blatant abuse of the statute by some social welfare groups. The law is very clear: The group must be engaged exclusively in social welfare.

Lawrence O’Donnell was pleased to report that more lawmakers are now talking about that scandal — the real scandal of the IRS, which is that the law is not being upheld in regards to social welfare groups. In the hearings Monday, the IRS auditors explained that one of the troubling things they found was a failure to review groups that were intervening in political campaigns.

Echoing Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), who asked during Tuesday’s hearing why Tea Party groups were expecting the taxpayer to subsidize their political activity, Lloyd Doggett (D-TX) decried the expectation that taxpayers should fund political activity, “I don’t believe the Internal Revenue Service, the Treasury Department, should be providing tax subsidies to organizations that are not engaged exclusively in social welfare. This congress was very clear on that point. Clear on it in 1913. And in repeated recodifications of 501©4. it says they must be operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare.”

Not a single Tea Party group was silenced by the IRS. They have been able to operate subsidized by the American taxpayer even though they are in violation of the statute.

No group from either side should be allowed to violate the law, and the IRS needs to get clear on what the statute actually says.

Political organizations fall under section 527 of the federal tax code, and should not be subsidized by the American taxpayer. The interpretation was changed in the regulation of the law by the IRS, not in the actual statute. One of the recommendations of the IRS audit was to make sure that political activity does not constitute the primary activity of these organizations. Given the recommendations to review more groups and the President’s directives to the IRS to enact all recommendations of the audit, “social welfare” groups engaging in political activity should expect more scrutiny.

Whether or not the IRS will actually enforce the entire statute is another story. You’d think that “law and order” Republicans who want less government interference would not want the IRS forced to determine how much is too much, but this is the modern day Republican Party, and they’ve proven less than interested in following the law and actual small government.

However, as more lawmakers demand that the actual law be upheld, the spotlight has turned onto social welfare groups expecting subsidies for their political work.

Hey Tea Party, it’s not “tyranny” when we expect you to follow the law, and it’s not “tyranny” just because we don’t want to fund your dark money political activity. This may be an unintended consequence of loud, ignorant hubris.

Republicans made a huge miscalculation in bringing national attention to the blatant abuse of the statute by some social welfare groups. The law is very clear: The group must be engaged exclusively in social welfare.

Please show the IRS definition of "social welfare".

And all political groups SHOULD lose their tax exempt status. So should the NFL and the MBA among hundreds of thousands of tax exempt organizations. Did you know there are more tax exempt organizations in the United States than there are restaurants?

And all political groups SHOULD lose their tax exempt status. So should the NFL and the MBA among hundreds of thousands of tax exempt organizations. Did you know there are more tax exempt organizations in the United States than there are restaurants?

NFL and MLB are not tax exempt, but they are except from monopoly laws.

As long as left wing tax exempts are treated the same way as right wing groups everything will be ok. You cannot single out one group. I am sure there will be a lot of crying from the left when they are treated the same as the right.

Please show the IRS definition of "social welfare".

Let me give you a clue goofy, since you obviously don't have one. You cannot be engaged in any type of political activity as a 501c4. What that means is no tea party group is eligible for tax exemption. Since I know the current cast of Criminals in the House aren't going to investigate, the first order of business when the Democrats win back control of the House is to launch a massive investigation on all tea party groups, and especially Karl Roves, and the Koch brothers to determine if any criminal wrong doing has taken place and hand out the appropriate prison sentences. Looks like speaker Boehner just might get his question answered as to who is going to jail. It just wasn't who he expected. :lol:

Damn, Talk about shifting the blame. Tea party didn't Whine over political parties being exempted, they question why they couldn't get an exemption like all the others got already.

then those in charge of granting exemptions sicked the IRS after those from Tea party affiliations applying.

This is kindergarden punishment from the ruling elites upset they are losing control of the language arts. this is what zero tolerance policy does saving individual soul collectives making sure no individual ever thinks beyond remaining society's child.

I fail to see how being tax exempt equates to being subsidized by taxpayers. The money does not belong to the government in the first place so it's not a subsidy just because they don't pay it. Using the same logic I would be earning a paycheck by not working for a company.

Well hell, every liberal and progressive is tax exempt from federal income taxes.

Let me give you a clue goofy, since you obviously don't have one. You cannot be engaged in any type of political activity as a 501c4. What that means is no tea party group is eligible for tax exemption. Since I know the current cast of Criminals in the House aren't going to investigate, the first order of business when the Democrats win back control of the House is to launch a massive investigation on all tea party groups, and especially Karl Roves, and the Koch brothers to determine if any criminal wrong doing has taken place and hand out the appropriate prison sentences. Looks like speaker Boehner just might get his question answered as to who is going to jail. It just wasn't who he expected. :lol:

So why is mediamatters and moveon.org tax exempt skewie???

In other words repeat the same offence all over again if and when you gain enough power to get away with it clean. Reading your post just proves there is no way progressive libs can be afforded any more power, there has to be a balance of evil because there are no limits as to what you might do to silience those with opposing views.

I fail to see how being tax exempt equates to being subsidized by taxpayers.

It doesn't. Belsom, one of the witnesses, refuted that when it was brought up by McDermott.

Damn, Talk about shifting the blame. Tea party didn't Whine over political parties being exempted, they question why they couldn't get an exemption like all the others got already.

then those in charge of granting exemptions sicked the IRS after those from Tea party affiliations applying.

Exactly.

It was good to hear some of the committee stick it to the other members who were too stupid to grasp this simple concept.

You cannot be engaged in any type of political activity as a 501c4.

Try again.

Let me give you a clue goofy, since you obviously don't have one.

You first.

"This article focuses on the extent to which political activities may be conducted by organizations exempt under IRC 501(c)(4). It will discuss the requirements for, and bars to, exemption under IRC 501©(4), and describe types of politically-oriented organizations that may seek exemption under that section."

"Thus, an organization exempt under IRC 501(c)(4) may engage in political campaign activities if those activities are not the organization's primary activity."

As long as left wing tax exempts are treated the same way as right wing groups everything will be ok. You cannot single out one group. I am sure there will be a lot of crying from the left when they are treated the same as the right.

Yup.

As a tea party member I'm all for NO political organizations getting exemptions.

Far from a backfire, I would consider ending all exemptions a success!

In other words repeat the same offence all over again if and when you gain enough power to get away with it clean. Reading your post just proves there is no way progressive libs can be afforded any more power, there has to be a balance of evil because there are no limits as to what you might do to silience those with opposing views.

There's no problem with having opposing views. You pay for it. What makes you think my tax dollars are supposed to pay for your opposing views? You should have heard the testimony in Congress today. It was quite compelling. They are very close now to ordering the IRS to comply with federal law by requiring the original language to be adhered to. That's going to sink a lot of boats on the right and the left. You are either exclusively a social welfare program, or you are not exclusively a social welfare program. When current applications are reviewed after that order is given, anyone found lying on that application could be found to have committed a federal felony. This isn't some kind of partisan game here. This is real. A lot more real than a lot of people seem to realize at this point. At the very least a lot of tax exempt status is going to be revoked. And for goddam good reason. They're in violation of federal tax law. I can't get away with that. Can you?

There's no problem with having opposing views. You pay for it. What makes you think my tax dollars are supposed to pay for your opposing views? You should have heard the testimony in Congress today. It was quite compelling. They are very close now to ordering the IRS to comply with federal law by requiring the original language to be adhered to. That's going to sink a lot of boats on the right and the left. You are either exclusively a social welfare program, or you are not exclusively a social welfare program. When current applications are reviewed after that order is given, anyone found lying on that application could be found to have committed a federal felony. This isn't some kind of partisan game here. This is real. A lot more real than a lot of people seem to realize at this point. At the very least a lot of tax exempt status is going to be revoked. And for goddam good reason. They're in violation of federal tax law. I can't get away with that. Can you?

You gonna whine like a bitch if Center for American Progress loses it's 501c status?

As a tea party member I'm all for NO political organizations getting exemptions.

I'm actually of the opposite opinion. I think they should all get effective exemptions, because the IRS has no business taxing money that was already taxed when it was earned. And by the same token, there should be no deductions for donating either. We need to make government smaller, not larger.