Baby Boomers Suiciding At Alarming Rate...Let's gues$ why?

Such losers. Let me guess, during working age they put faith that the retirement pension and social security would easily see them through, and they bought into the media-econo-political-religio mantra of "just vote mainstream" vote for Reagan, Carter, Bush, Bill,etc., and everything will be ok, you can finally rest in retirement. The baby boom generation, a big generation but very stupid indeed. Did they learn anything from the 60s and 70s, Nam, Nixon??? Nope. Box of rocks. Baby Boomers Are Killing Themselves At An Alarming Rate: Why?

Posted on June 4, 2013 by Soren Dreier

Author: Tara Bahrampour / Video

sadness-150x150.jpg

Last spring, Frank Turkaly tried to kill himself. A retiree in a Pittsburgh suburb living on disability checks, he was estranged from friends and family, mired in credit card debt and taking medication for depression, cholesterol, diabetes and high blood pressure.

It was not the life he had envisioned as a young man in the 1960s and ’70s, when “people were more in tune with each other, people were more prone to help each other,” said Turkaly, 63, who owned a camera shop and later worked at Sears. “There was not this big segregation between the poor and the rich. . . .

I thought it was going to continue the same, I didn’t think it was going to change.”

Turkaly said he regrets his attempt to overdose on tranquilizers, which he attributes to social isolation. But in one grim respect he is far from alone: He is part of an alarming trend among baby boomers, whose suicide rates shot up precipitously between 1999 and 2010.

It has long held true that elderly people have higher suicide rates than the overall population.

But numbers released in May by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show a dramatic spike in suicides among middle-aged people, with the highest increases among men in their 50s, whose rate went up by nearly 50 percent to 30 per 100,000; and women in their early 60s, whose rate rose by nearly 60 percent (though it is still relatively low compared with men, at 7 in 100,000). The highest rates were among white and Native American and Alaskan men. In recent years, deaths by suicide has surpassed deaths by motor vehicle crashes.

As youths, boomers had higher suicide rates than earlier generations; the confluence of that with the fact that they are now beginning to grow old, when the risk traditionally goes up, has experts worried. The findings suggest that more suicide research and prevention should “address the needs of middle-aged persons,” a CDC statement said.

There are no large-scale studies yet fleshing out the reasons behind the increase in boomer suicides. Part of it is likely tied to the recent economic downturn — financial recessions are in general associated with an uptick in suicides.

But the trend started a decade before the 2008 recession, and psychologists and academics say it likely stems from a complex matrix of issues particular to a generation that vowed not to trust anyone older than 30 and who rocked out to lyrics such as, “I hope I die before I get old.”

“We’ve been a pretty youth-oriented generation,” said Bob Knight, professor of gerontology and psychology at the University of Southern California, who is also a baby boomer. “We haven’t idealized growing up and getting mature in the same way that other cohorts have.”

Even as they become grandparents and deal with normal signs of getting old, such as hearing and vision losses, many boomers are reluctant to accept the realities of aging, Knight said.To those growing up in the 1950s and ’60s, America seemed to promise a limitless array of possibilities.

The Great Depression and World War II were over; medical innovations such as the polio vaccine and antibiotics appeared to wipe out disease and disability; the birth-control pill sparked a sexual revolution. The economy was thriving, and as they came of age, boomers embraced new ways of living — as civil rights activists, as hippies, as feminists, as war protesters.

oldcoupleyj9.jpg

Such losers. Let me guess, during working age they put faith that the retirement pension and social security would easily see them through, and they bought into the media-econo-political-religio mantra of "just vote mainstream" vote for Reagan, Carter, Bush, Bill,etc., and everything will be ok, you can finally rest in retirement. The baby boom generation, a big generation but very stupid indeed. Did they learn anything from the 60s and 70s, Nam, Nixon??? Nope. Box of rocks.

Baby Boomers Are Killing Themselves At An Alarming Rate: Why?

Posted on

June 4, 2013

by Soren Dreier

Author: Tara Bahrampour / Video

sadness-150x150.jpg

Last spring, Frank Turkaly tried to kill himself. A retiree in a Pittsburgh suburb living on disability checks, he was estranged from friends and family, mired in credit card debt and taking medication for depression, cholesterol, diabetes and high blood pressure.

It was not the life he had envisioned as a young man in the 1960s and ’70s, when “people were more in tune with each other, people were more prone to help each other,” said Turkaly, 63, who owned a camera shop and later worked at Sears. “There was not this big segregation between the poor and the rich. . . .

I thought it was going to continue the same, I didn’t think it was going to change.”

Turkaly said he regrets his attempt to overdose on tranquilizers, which he attributes to social isolation. But in one grim respect he is far from alone: He is part of an alarming trend among baby boomers, whose suicide rates shot up precipitously between 1999 and 2010.

It has long held true that elderly people have higher suicide rates than the overall population.

But numbers released in May by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show a dramatic spike in suicides among middle-aged people, with the highest increases among men in their 50s, whose rate went up by nearly 50 percent to 30 per 100,000; and women in their early 60s, whose rate rose by nearly 60 percent (though it is still relatively low compared with men, at 7 in 100,000). The highest rates were among white and Native American and Alaskan men. In recent years, deaths by suicide has surpassed deaths by motor vehicle crashes.

As youths, boomers had higher suicide rates than earlier generations; the confluence of that with the fact that they are now beginning to grow old, when the risk traditionally goes up, has experts worried. The findings suggest that more suicide research and prevention should “address the needs of middle-aged persons,” a CDC statement said.

There are no large-scale studies yet fleshing out the reasons behind the increase in boomer suicides. Part of it is likely tied to the recent economic downturn — financial recessions are in general associated with an uptick in suicides.

But the trend started a decade before the 2008 recession, and psychologists and academics say it likely stems from a complex matrix of issues particular to a generation that vowed not to trust anyone older than 30 and who rocked out to lyrics such as, “I hope I die before I get old.”

“We’ve been a pretty youth-oriented generation,” said Bob Knight, professor of gerontology and psychology at the University of Southern California, who is also a baby boomer. “We haven’t idealized growing up and getting mature in the same way that other cohorts have.”

Even as they become grandparents and deal with normal signs of getting old, such as hearing and vision losses, many boomers are reluctant to accept the realities of aging, Knight said.To those growing up in the 1950s and ’60s, America seemed to promise a limitless array of possibilities.

The Great Depression and World War II were over; medical innovations such as the polio vaccine and antibiotics appeared to wipe out disease and disability; the birth-control pill sparked a sexual revolution. The economy was thriving, and as they came of age, boomers embraced new ways of living — as civil rights activists, as hippies, as feminists, as war protesters.

oldcoupleyj9.jpg

An Open Letter to Democratic and Republican Voters

Our dear slaves,

We, the Rothschilds and Rockefellers of the world, extend our heartfelt thanks to the tens of millions of mainline Democrats and mainline Republicans out there who make up the bulk of the American electorate.

First and foremost, thank you for the trillions in extortion “bailout” money, and for continuing to vote for one or the other of the two political parties that jointly gave us all that money at your expense.

Thank you for letting our uniformed goons grope, radiate and harass you and your loved ones (especially your children!) at the airport.

Thank you for always putting partisanship above principle.

Thank you for always winking and looking the other way (or mindlessly applauding) when "your" party does the very things you wax indignant about whenever the "other" party does them, and for being willfully blind to the moral and intellectual hypocrisy this betrays.

Thank you for never questioning the validity of the "wasted vote" argument.

Thank you for being such willing dupes for the teleprompter-reading puppets (e.g., Clinton, Bush, Obama, Romney, etc.) we put before you every election season, and for never asking them real questions.

Thank you for being so willfully stupid as to think there’s no fundamental difference between an election and a horse race, and for consequently assuming that even if the candidate you vote for supports the very policies you most passionately oppose, as long as he wins the election, you “win” as well.

Thank you for sheepishly letting our water-carrying, talking point-parroting minions in the TV "news" media dictate to you not only which issues are more important than others, but what your "choices" are on election day.

Thank you for being so ridiculously gullible that you honestly think a pro-war/pro-police state/pro-debt money/pro-

Democrat, on the one hand, and a pro-war/pro-police state/pro-debt money/pro-NWO Republican, on the other, represents an actual "choice."

Thank you for being so cowardly, so pathetic, and so unwilling to question the validity of your fairy-tale worldview, that -- no matter how many hardcore facts are spoon fed to you by informed truth-seekers -- you go right on clinging to the term "conspiracy theory" the way a four-year-old child clings to his teddy bear.

Thank you for having so much of your precious egos invested in the delusional fantasy that we (the ruling-class oligarchs you like to pretend don't exist) never "conspire" to engage in criminal wrongdoing, that you have to be dragged kicking and screaming (like the spoiled children you all are) into acknowleding each and every fact that points in the opposite direction.

Thank you for doing the "SIEG HEIL!" to the official story on 9/11 whenever someone criticizes either the Nazi-style police state or terroristic wars of aggression for which that official story continues to serve as the all-justifying excuse.

Thank you for spending nearly all your free time either gazing glassy-eyed at the television, playing video games, or fondling your cell phones.

Thank you for always treating politics as just another specator sport.

Thank you for being unwilling to recognize an Orwellian euphemism when you hear one (or, even better, for being blissfully ignorant of what the term euphemism even means).

And last but certainly not least, thank you for being so arrogant as to think that giggling and snickering at everything like you’re still in high school some how makes you part of our club -- and hence immune from our depopulation agenda. (News flash: it doesn't.)

Were it not for your willful ignorance, your moral and intellectul cowardice, and your childlike obsession with mindless distractions, we wouldn't be having such a laughably easy time economically ass-raping you and wrapping the Nazification of America in the American flag.

You are without question the wet dream of every totalitarian dictator who's ever lived, because there's absolutely no amount of tyranny or police state thuggery you won't sheepishly put up with as long as (a) you have TVs to gawk at and cell phones to fondle, and (B) you have someone -- anyone -- to look down your snooty little noses at.

Your increasingly and ravenously affectionate owners,

The Eight Families

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=217087.0;topicseen

An Open Letter to Democratic and Republican Voters

Our dear slaves,

We, the Rothschilds and Rockefellers of the world, extend our heartfelt thanks to the tens of millions of mainline Democrats and mainline Republicans out there who make up the bulk of the American electorate.

First and foremost, thank you for the trillions in extortion “bailout” money, and for continuing to vote for one or the other of the two political parties that jointly gave us all that money at your expense.

Thank you for letting our uniformed goons grope, radiate and harass you and your loved ones (especially your children!) at the airport.

Thank you for always putting partisanship above principle.

Thank you for always winking and looking the other way (or mindlessly applauding) when "your" party does the very things you wax indignant about whenever the "other" party does them, and for being willfully blind to the moral and intellectual hypocrisy this betrays.

Thank you for never questioning the validity of the "wasted vote" argument.

Thank you for being such willing dupes for the teleprompter-reading puppets (e.g., Clinton, Bush, Obama, Romney, etc.) we put before you every election season, and for never asking them real questions.

Thank you for being so willfully stupid as to think there’s no fundamental difference between an election and a horse race, and for consequently assuming that even if the candidate you vote for supports the very policies you most passionately oppose, as long as he wins the election, you “win” as well.

Thank you for sheepishly letting our water-carrying, talking point-parroting minions in the TV "news" media dictate to you not only which issues are more important than others, but what your "choices" are on election day.

Thank you for being so ridiculously gullible that you honestly think a pro-war/pro-police state/pro-debt money/pro-

Democrat, on the one hand, and a pro-war/pro-police state/pro-debt money/pro-NWO Republican, on the other, represents an actual "choice."

Thank you for being so cowardly, so pathetic, and so unwilling to question the validity of your fairy-tale worldview, that -- no matter how many hardcore facts are spoon fed to you by informed truth-seekers -- you go right on clinging to the term "conspiracy theory" the way a four-year-old child clings to his teddy bear.

Thank you for having so much of your precious egos invested in the delusional fantasy that we (the ruling-class oligarchs you like to pretend don't exist) never "conspire" to engage in criminal wrongdoing, that you have to be dragged kicking and screaming (like the spoiled children you all are) into acknowleding each and every fact that points in the opposite direction.

Thank you for doing the "SIEG HEIL!" to the official story on 9/11 whenever someone criticizes either the Nazi-style police state or terroristic wars of aggression for which that official story continues to serve as the all-justifying excuse.

Thank you for spending nearly all your free time either gazing glassy-eyed at the television, playing video games, or fondling your cell phones.

Thank you for always treating politics as just another specator sport.

Thank you for being unwilling to recognize an Orwellian euphemism when you hear one (or, even better, for being blissfully ignorant of what the term euphemism even means).

And last but certainly not least, thank you for being so arrogant as to think that giggling and snickering at everything like you’re still in high school some how makes you part of our club -- and hence immune from our depopulation agenda. (News flash: it doesn't.)

Were it not for your willful ignorance, your moral and intellectul cowardice, and your childlike obsession with mindless distractions, we wouldn't be having such a laughably easy time economically ass-raping you and wrapping the Nazification of America in the American flag.

You are without question the wet dream of every totalitarian dictator who's ever lived, because there's absolutely no amount of tyranny or police state thuggery you won't sheepishly put up with as long as (a) you have TVs to gawk at and cell phones to fondle, and ( B) you have someone -- anyone -- to look down your snooty little noses at.

Your increasingly and ravenously affectionate owners,

The Eight Families

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=217087.0;topicseen

Thank you for posting this. I'm going to read all of it later. Very interesting material...and very chilling too.

Thank you for posting this. I'm going to read all of it later. Very interesting material...and very chilling too.

There is an awakening going on. It is a lot better now than in 2008 when at least 60-70% of the population was in denial over this.

Now I would say that it is the same ignorant 40% that stays ignorant no matter what, and the other 60% voting Republican or Democrat or Non-Globocrat parties. For a nation of 250 million people only about 60-70 million people actually vote.

The North American Union plan failed. That and the Coast-to-Coast AM audience is well aware of the NWO. They are about 70-80 milion worldwide.

Right now the Evilocracy and the infowarrior are at a stalemate. They aren't progressing cuz we are staving them off but they control the banking, and therefore they control the low-info people.

The low-info people can't see tyranny around them until an infowarrior points it out.

I won't even tell you what my parents did on 9/10/2001...... :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

I already get enough hatred from the jealous/envy crowd over my trust fund.

Let's just leave it at they liquidated a large amount of stocks....... B)

I won't even tell you what my parents did on 9/10/2001...... :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

I already get enough hatred from the jealous/envy crowd over my trust fund.

Let's just leave it at they liquidated a large amount of stocks....... B)

How much is your trust fund worth?

Depends on how well my uncle manages it. :lol: Millions to tens of millions.

Wow. Why don't you manage it yourself? And how did your parents know to sell thier stocks on 9/10/11? I heard there were some folks who sold thier stock in American Airlines just a few days before 9/11 like they knew something bad was going to happen.

Wow. Why don't you manage it yourself? And how did your parents know to sell thier stocks on 9/10/11? I heard there were some folks who sold thier stock in American Airlines just a few days before 9/11 like they knew something bad was going to happen.

Well, probably because my uncle is a CPA and the director of financing for a large Midwest city? Seems he might be slightly more qualified to manage it than a lowly BSN RN. :)

The amusing part is I hear about how ALL the wealthy steal from the middle class while watching my dad who spent 6 years in college getting his PhD in biochemistry while my mom worked 80 hour work weeks, actually SAVE his EARNINGS and INVEST it........ He did all this WHILE paying more in federal income taxes every year than the annual median wages for an American family....

He retired at the ripe old age of 50....

That's what America has to offer! Good luck getting there flipping burgers and dropping fries folks!

They simply got lucky on the date. He had just retired at the time.

OK. I'm glad you're doing so well financially. You're very blessed. And your Dad too; retiring at 50 sounds nice. :)

I'm certainly not in the same position but we aren't hurting either as we're net positive on the debt side of things.

I don't treat my life any differently due to the trust fund. For all I know, something will happen and it won't be there.

I did take part of my retirement savings and invest it in a degree. I don't know if I would have done that had I not known about the trust fund even though it was a solid investment.

I can provide for my own retirement and plan to do so regardless of the trust fund. It's my duty, obligation to support myself financially, physically and emotionally.

I'm certainly not in the same position but we aren't hurting either as we're net positive on the debt side of things.

I don't treat my life any differently due to the trust fund. For all I know, something will happen and it won't be there.

I did take part of my retirement savings and invest it in a degree. I don't know if I would have done that had I not known about the trust fund even though it was a solid investment.

I can provide for my own retirement and plan to do so regardless of the trust fund. It's my duty, obligation to support myself financially, physically and emotionally.

Investing in education is always a good move. I wish I was debt free. I hope to be by the time I retire. I'm praying I don't end up like the folks in the OP; how sad.

Investing in education is always a good move. I wish I was debt free. I hope to be by the time I retire. I'm praying I don't end up like the folks in the OP; how sad.

We took after my parents. While he was making 6 figures they had a $300 house payment and drove the same car for 16 years.

It's called the discipline to stay away from the "instant gratification" trap WAY TOO MANY Americans fall into with easy credit.

We did the same thing which allowed me to take 3 years off and focus on my degree. Can't pay cash for it? Don't buy it. That way we take advantage of financing with ZERO interest instead of financing taking advantage of us.

We took after my parents. While he was making 6 figures they had a $300 house payment and drove the same car for 16 years.

It's called the discipline to stay away from the "instant gratification" trap WAY TOO MANY Americans fall into with easy credit.

We did the same thing which allowed me to take 3 years off and focus on my degree. Can't pay cash for it? Don't buy it. That way we take advantage of financing with ZERO interest instead of financing taking advantage of us.

You're very smart. You'll probably get to retire young too. The credit card companies always send me offers to transfer my balances with 0 interest for several months. It's just a trap. I did fall for it once though. You're a nice guy, Str8tEdge. I've got to go now. Take care.

You're very smart. You'll probably get to retire young too. The credit card companies always send me offers to transfer my balances with 0 interest for several months. It's just a trap. I did fall for it once though. You're a nice guy, Str8tEdge. I've got to go now. Take care.

I don't plan on retiring. Not after I finally found a career I truly enjoy. If I can't do patient care I'll just teach.

Take care too!

There is an awakening going on. It is a lot better now than in 2008 when at least 60-70% of the population was in denial over this.

Now I would say that it is the same ignorant 40% that stays ignorant no matter what, and the other 60% voting Republican or Democrat or Non-Globocrat parties. For a nation of 250 million people only about 60-70 million people actually vote.

The North American Union plan failed. That and the Coast-to-Coast AM audience is well aware of the NWO. They are about 70-80 milion worldwide.

Right now the Evilocracy and the infowarrior are at a stalemate. They aren't progressing cuz we are staving them off but they control the banking, and therefore they control the low-info people.

The low-info people can't see tyranny around them until an infowarrior points it out.

What is an infowarrior?

What makes you think anyone has anyone at a stalemate?

There's a reason congress is gridlocked which signals there's no political stalemate but rather a very ingenious plan being executed quite well.

Such losers. Let me guess, during working age they put faith that the retirement pension and social security would easily see them through, and they bought into the media-econo-political-religio mantra of "just vote mainstream" vote for Reagan, Carter, Bush, Bill,etc., and everything will be ok, you can finally rest in retirement. The baby boom generation, a big generation but very stupid indeed. Did they learn anything from the 60s and 70s, Nam, Nixon??? Nope. Box of rocks.

Right now we're changing the world more than you and a lot of other people realize so we're not a dumb as you think. You just don't have the real world experience yet to judge.

Actually I hope your generation does a better job than we because every generation has to be better than the one who preceded it or there is no progress.

who the fu ck wants to retire? in about two or three years,,,when my son gets the hang of installing floors..and turn 18.......i am going to retire from floors and buy a restaurant...i will work my restaurant till the day i die...hopefully at around 60..

AssKlown is not smart!

He just lucked out with a gravy train trust fund.

And most folks are aware that paying cash saves a lot more monet than getting credit to buy something.

Its just that so many people have no cash, or savings, as it costs a lot just to pay the bills, so they had to use whatever credit they had to survive.

He sits back hiding behind his computer with a smug grin on his face, trashing everyone else as "dumbasses, and his malignant narcissisim will catch up to him someday! Then, he may learn what humility is when hes scrounging in dumpsters for his next meal.