Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story

Another conholer myth laid to rest........

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story

'Following up on Rachel's segment from last night, which I really hope you watched, it's truly amazing to see how some myths take root at Fox News, even after they're proven false.

On Thursday night, Bill O'Reilly told his viewers that there may be a "smoking gun" in the IRS controversy: former IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman, the host said, visited the White House 157 times between 2009 and 2012. This proved ... something. We learned a day later, however, the smoking gun was shooting blanks: Shulman had been cleared for a series of routine White House gatherings, but only attended 11 events over the course of four years.

So on Thursday, O'Reilly thought he had a big scoop. On Friday, it was debunked. And on Monday, O'Reilly pretended his story hadn't been discredited, and repeated it all over again. "We still don't know much about former IRS Chief Douglas Shulman visiting the White House 157 times," the Fox host said. "That's extraordinary."

Well, something is certainly extraordinary here.

And while Rachel was marveling at this story last night, O'Reilly returned to the subject againon his own show. He told viewers last night:

"What I can say is that the White House still has not told the nation what the hell ... Douglas Shulman was doing in the White House all those times. What's the holdup, Mr. President? How about that transparency deal?"

It's simply amazing. O'Reilly shouldn't have made the original mistake on Thursday night, claiming a bogus story was a "smoking gun," but let's say it was an innocent mistake. That original slip-up, however, was five days ago -- and it's not unreasonable to wonder how long it takes for the host and his team to catch up on the basic details surrounding their own story.

What's more, this allergy to facts appears to be contagious.

The Washington Post's Bob Woodward appeared on O'Reilly's show on Monday and said:

"You say they aren't answering this question about the 157 visits by the IRS commissioner. They should. They should get on top of this story."

Actually, they're not the one who are failing to stay on top of this story -- it was proven false last week.

I've heard of media figures joke about some stories being "too good to check," but this is ridiculous. It's already been checked, and the allegations are baseless. So in what universe do media professionals continue to push a bogus story several days after it's been discredited?

Kevin Drum argued yesterday that Fox is in the business of keeping Tea Partiers "whipped up," and if that means touting stories the network knows to be false, so be it.

Outrage is how they do this, and neither facts nor the long-term health of the GOP are allowed to get in the way. Pounding away mendaciously on Shulman's 157 visits might be the kind of overreach that hurts Republicans in the long run, but who cares? The rubes don't read the Washington Post and don't know that the story is bogus, so Fox will keep at it because it's good for business. The tail is now wagging the dog, and the Republican Party is being held hostage to the bottom line of the conservative media.

This is the Republican Party's core problem.

Given that O'Reilly is seen by millions of Americans as one of the leading faces of today's GOP, that's certainly a fair assessment.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/06/05/18773674-dont-let-the-facts-get-in-the-way-of-a-good-story?lite

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing is believing. Possession is 9/10 of the laws that rule reality. Those that own the language control the conversation and those that don't pay royalties to use the vocabulary.

The cure for humanity ills is honesty beyond words. Plain and simple real and how now is really physical eternity societal evolution/reality uses against sole results of ancestry every generation of another ancestor now has passing through exactly as conceived, not concocted in theory, theology, and mythology.

State of mind, spirit of the words mean things, and economic hyperbole of trading substance for symbolic values, codes of moral, ethical, and legal rights to deny this atmosphere was always the Garden of Eden homo sapiens were allegedly banned from by an entitiy other than ancestry creating every lifetime equally.

Truth means what exactly? Facts? Reality is subjwective to making objectives to keep everything relative to time lines and deadlines politically, spiritually, and economically following orders staging how social justification must function within the law, not natural balances keeping the moment real.

Simplicity is the hardest thing to comprehend when one has had a lifetime to being educated no body knows where real begins and reality ends.

Yes every lifetime does know, they just accept legal denials and march on as society's child waiting for some body to say what is what because who is on first. Pardon the pun from Abbott and Costello.

Not so funny when one learns whom are the guardians at the gates of understanding why nobody gets along in reality living in the philosophy, "The enemy of my enemy is my ally."

Good verse evil. Legal vs unethical, ethics vs illegal, and no body knows what right and wrong are completely as educated by societal institutions teaching what if now isn't eternity eternally.

Seeing is believing. Possession is 9/10 of the laws that rule reality. Those that own the language control the conversation and those that don't pay royalties to use the vocabulary.

The cure for humanity ills is honesty beyond words. Plain and simple real and how now is really physical eternity societal evolution/reality uses against sole results of ancestry every generation of another ancestor now has passing through exactly as conceived, not concocted in theory, theology, and mythology.

State of mind, spirit of the words mean things, and economic hyperbole of trading substance for symbolic values, codes of moral, ethical, and legal rights to deny this atmosphere was always the Garden of Eden homo sapiens were allegedly banned from by an entitiy other than ancestry creating every lifetime equally.

Truth means what exactly? Facts? Reality is subjwective to making objectives to keep everything relative to time lines and deadlines politically, spiritually, and economically following orders staging how social justification must function within the law, not natural balances keeping the moment real.

Simplicity is the hardest thing to comprehend when one has had a lifetime to being educated no body knows where real begins and reality ends.

Yes every lifetime does know, they just accept legal denials and march on as society's child waiting for some body to say what is what because who is on first. Pardon the pun from Abbott and Costello.

Not so funny when one learns whom are the guardians at the gates of understanding why nobody gets along in reality living in the philosophy, "The enemy of my enemy is my ally."

Good verse evil. Legal vs unethical, ethics vs illegal, and no body knows what right and wrong are completely as educated by societal institutions teaching what if now isn't eternity eternally.

i get the sense that NO ONE reads your crap. You already admitted that you can't even define your random terminology. busted. meaningless drivel.

What's Maddow's source for this?

The White House.

Hey, they've never lied to us before, have they? :D

Stupid freaking trolls.

What's the source of the conholer's "157 times" myth ???

What's the source of the conholer's "157 times" myth ???

No, I've never seen a journalist on Fox lie.

Obama and officials lie constantly, so anyone who'd take their word for anything is an imbecile or a hopeless lying troll.

i get the sense that NO ONE reads your crap. You already admitted that you can't even define your random terminology. busted. meaningless drivel.

Nice try. I describe real with vocabulary. Not define a reality as I wish life could become if Eternity wasn't now all the time making me the information center of societal evolution.

Capitolizing off misinformation creates 4 corners of ideology regulating what ancestors believe in or else they cannot play in the games of societal evolution. Kind of pegs you in your denying what real was all the time squaring off the whole sphere into 4 corners of the world thinking to reciting educated thoughts..

Buying a philosophy to practice reverse psychology doesn't teach inversion of exponential results self contained to one moment universally applied equally to details never duplicated twice as before or since added to the mix n' match of ancestry's specific lineage of ancestors..

THE DEFENDANTS

The United States of America is a proper defendant pursuant to 5 U.S.C. § 702, 26 U.S.C. § 7431(a), and 28 U.S.C. § 1346(e).

Defendant Internal Revenue Service is an agency of the United States that is responsible for administration and enforcement of provisions of the Internal Revenue Code, as well as all other IRS rules, regulations, policies, and practices.

Defendant Jacob Lew is Acting Secretary of the United States Department of the Treasury, an agency of the United States that is responsible for administration and enforcement of provisions of the Internal Revenue Code, as well as all other IRS rules, regulations, policies, and practices. Defendant Lew is named as a party only in his official capacity.

Defendant Steven Miller was, at all times relevant herein, either the Deputy Commissioner for Services and Enforcement, or the Acting Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service, and was, at all times relevant herein, responsible for the administration and enforcement of the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code as well as all other IRS rules, regulations, policies, and practices. Defendant Miller is sued in his individual capacity for acts and omissions that occurred in connection with duties performed on behalf of the United States.

Defendant Lois G. Lerner was at all times relevant herein the Director of the Exempt Organizations (EO) Division of the Internal Revenue Service and responsible for the administration and enforcement of all rules, policies, and practices of the EO Division. Defendant Lerner is sued in her official capacity and in her individual capacity for acts and omissions that occurred in connection with duties performed on behalf of the United States.

Defendant Holly Paz was, at all times relevant herein, either the Acting Manager, EO Technical Unit, the Acting Director, Office of Rulings and Agreements, or the Director, Office of Rulings and Agreements, and was responsible for processing of determinations regarding applications for tax-exempt status, including providing guidance and oversight to other IRS officers and employees involved in such processing. Defendant Paz is sued in her official capacity and in her individual capacity for acts and omissions that occurred in connection with duties performed on behalf of the United States.

The Unknown Named IRS Officials are unidentified individual officials within the Internal Revenue Service who are responsible for administration and enforcement of all rules, policies, and practices of their respective divisions of the IRS. Each Unknown Named Defendant is sued in his or her official capacity and in his or her individual capacity for acts and omissions that occurred in connection with duties performed on behalf of the United States.

Nice try. I describe real with vocabulary. Not define a reality as I wish life could become if Eternity wasn't now all the time making me the information center of societal evolution.

Capitolizing off misinformation creates 4 corners of ideology regulating what ancestors believe in or else they cannot play in the games of societal evolution. Kind of pegs you in your denying what real was all the time.

HAHAHAHAHA... tell me what's real.... HAHAHAHAAHAHHAAA ... phony.

HAHAHAHAHA... tell me what's real.... HAHAHAHAAHAHHAAA ... phony.

I did and as usual, you deny it. That means I am not guilty of anything you recite as facts. You are a perpetual liar and knows it as evident in your ridiculing anything I say. I gave physical results as they function within a periodic table of 118 characteristics contracting into what takes place currently in phyusical existence, you got metaphors idiot.

Regardless of the facts, the right wing media will keep repeating the 157 lie. You can take that to the bank.

If all these non scandals don't mean anything...why do you guys keep writing threads about it? If you guys were like dano with a pile of shit under his bed after sucking off his gaybe you'd be saying you smell roses... If there is nothing to hide then why are they doing it? Why would anyone need to plead the fifth to Congress?

You are a joke, troll.

make the letters bigger scumboy

On the February 20th, 2012 edition of the Fox News show Hannity, Fox News contributor Karl Rove (R-Fox News), repeated the falsehood that President Obama gave a ($2 billion) loan to Brazil’s national oil company – Petrobras. According to Rove, “The president even gave a loan to Brazil. Why do they need our money, they’ve got plenty of their own.” Rove’s straight-faced assertions, as it turns out, were really bald-faced lies.

According to FactCheck.org, the loan to Petrobras, was approved by members of the Bush administration (three Republicans and two Democrats) who were on the board of directors of the U.S. Export-Import Bank. There were no Obama appointees involved with the vote. Additionally, it has also been implied that American tax dollars would be used to make the loan. That, too, is not true. What makes these lies even more egregious is the fact that they have all been refuted since 2009.

there are only about a few thousand documented lies by faux news. WOW, that is enough to post a new one as a response to clemmyscum every single time he opens his mouth

I did and as usual, you deny it. That means I am not guilty of anything you recite as facts. You are a perpetual liar and knows it as evident in your ridiculing anything I say. I gave physical results as they function within a periodic table of 118 characteristics contracting into what takes place currently in phyusical existence, you got metaphors idiot.

you give crap. you have nothing. you are stupid. the message is, that hopefully no one will ever fall for your crap enough to even read it so that the tyranny you hope to fool people with is discarded. you should be ashamed for hoping to waste people's time and that is the bottom line.

If all these non scandals don't mean anything...why do you guys keep writing threads about it? If you guys were like dano with a pile of shit under his bed after sucking off his gaybe you'd be saying you smell roses... If there is nothing to hide then why are they doing it? Why would anyone need to plead the fifth to Congress?

To point out what morons you baggers are. LOL