Let's talk about Bradley Manning

Can someone please enlighten me on the particulars of this case?

Admittedly, I have been kinda slack in following this. But from what I have followed, it doesn't look to me like he really leaked anything crucial.

Can I get some discussion on this please from both sides.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Admittedly, I have been kinda slack in following this. But from what I have followed, it doesn't look to me like he really leaked anything crucial.

He downloaded classified information and gave it to a blogger who has posted most of it online.

He needs to go to jail forever, but only because we no longer execute people for treason.

oiy. he as a gay man felt the military was being nefarious, and wanted to expose that. some say he wanted to get even with the military for not accepting hhim.

he swore an oath to uphold and defend the constitution, and then is deemed uneducated in the manner by which that would be accomplished.

People will debate all day if there was any harm done. I think there was. The fact is he released classified information. It does not matter if harm was done or not. Information is classified for a reason. He released the information. He should be imprisoned for the rest of his life.

People will debate all day if there was any harm done. I think there was. The fact is he released classified information. It does not matter if harm was done or not. Information is classified for a reason. He released the information. He should be imprisoned for the rest of his life.

I can understand how you feel.

But information also gets unclassified all the time.

Isn't there something to be said for keeping our government honest?

Was the information classified because it could potentially be used against us by those we deem our "enemies", or classified because the information would've exposed some ugly truth about America's involvement in ME civil wars, thereby further eroding public support?

"harm" is an as of yet undefined characteristic. "harm" could be easily defined as something which occurs to the american voter/citizen from deplorable military policies and government actions-like the us state department trying to pressure france into accepting monsanto gmo's-which they tried, and should not have.

Information is de classified all the time. The authority to de classify is made at a much higher level than manning. Some WW2 info is still classified. He released the classified info. It was his duty to protect the info.

Information is de classified all the time. The authority to de classify is made at a much higher level than manning. Some WW2 info is still classified. He released the classified info. It was his duty to protect the info.

no. it was his duty to protect the constitution and the american citizens.

I can understand how you feel.

But information also gets unclassified all the time.

Isn't there something to be said for keeping our government honest?

it is the job of all citizens to try and keep our elected officals honest and persuing their jobs in our interests. i know of no corporation where the employer is kept in the dark by the employees.

it is the job of the media to also scrutinize our elected officials and all other aspects of society. that is what wikileaks job is

"harm" is an as of yet undefined characteristic. "harm" could be easily defined as something which occurs to the american voter/citizen from deplorable military policies and government actions-like the us state department trying to pressure france into accepting monsanto gmo's-which they tried, and should not have.

the bold was leaked by manning, btw.

Can you give me some examples of what was leaked?

He has admitted his crime:

Soldier Admits Providing Files to WikiLeaks

Pfc. Bradley Manning on Thursday confessed in open court to providing vast archives of military and diplomatic files to the antisecrecy group WikiLeaks, saying that he released the information to help enlighten the public about “what happens and why it happens” and to “spark a debate about foreign policy.”

Appearing before a military judge for more than an hour, Private Manning read a statement recounting how he joined the military, became an intelligence analyst in Iraq, decided that certain files should become known to the American public to prompt a wider debate about foreign policy, downloaded them from a secure computer network and then ultimately uploaded them to WikiLeaks.

“No one associated with WLO” — an abbreviation he used to refer to the WikiLeaks organization — “pressured me into sending any more information,” Private Manning said. “I take full responsibility.”

Before reading the statement, Private Manning pleaded guilty to 10 criminal counts in connection with the huge amount of material he leaked, which included videos of airstrikes in Iraq and Afghanistan in which civilians were killed, logs of military incident reports, assessment files of detainees held at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, and a quarter-million cables from American diplomats stationed around the world.

He had neither the right, nor authority to decide that these files could be released publicly.

He needs to go to jail for the rest of his life.

It is not for the public to determine what should be classified. Atomic secrets were classified and given to the Russians by traitors. There are many reasons info is classified. What individuals think about the importance of such information does not matter. Much info is only valuable for a few day or weeks. Other info can compromise sources for decades. It is not for us to determine what info or for what reasons may be classified. I had a clearance when i was in the service. Some classified info I determined to be worthless in all respects. My duty was to protect the info and I did. I understood that what i determined to be worthless was of no consequence. Higher authority had reasons for classifying material. Those desicions were far above me.

He had neither the right, nor authority to decide that these files could be released publicly.

his military life is a subset of his being an american citizen. that larger set gives him all the right and authority to make decisions on his own

Was the information classified because it could potentially be used against us by those we deem our "enemies", or classified because the information would've exposed some ugly truth about America's involvement in ME civil wars, thereby further eroding public support?

Judging from the footage of our guys gunning down journalists and a mother in a mini van trying to help then men with cameras, I would say it was very much hiding our atrocious behavior and there was nothing (other than outrage over potential war crimes) that could hurt anyone who was not directly involved in the incident. All the brass (DOD and pentagon) have said that no one was hurt as a result of the leaks.

That's true, but Manning had no right or the ability, to determine if the data he released was harmful to the american voter/citizen or not.

But isn't he a whistle blower? Couldn't your statement be also true about the whistle blowers in other cases, ones where you personally think the information should have come out? The IRS deals with legally protected information - should the whistle blowers in that case have just kept it to themselves? Did they have some special authority?

That's true, but Manning had no right or the ability, to determine if the data he released was harmful to the american voter/citizen or not.

something we will not see eye to eye on.

the job of the news agency is to make the determination of "harm". generally, these news agencies are responsible in making such determinations

But isn't he a whistle blower? Couldn't your statement be also true about the whistle blowers in other cases, ones where you personally think the information should have come out? The IRS deals with legally protected information - should the whistle blowers in that case have just kept it to themselves? Did they have some special authority?

Examples? I don't know of any time I've supported people leaking classified information.

something we will not see eye to eye on.

the job of the news agency is to make the determination of "harm". generally, these news agencies are responsible in making such determinations

He didn't leak to a news agency, he leaked it to a webpage dedicated to leaking information publicly.

exactly. my present employer feels we should not criticize the president of the us. the same mentality applies to manning for some. we must decide which is more important-knowing what is being done in our names, or secrecy and blindly following authority for the sake of following authority

his military life is a subset of his being an american citizen. that larger set gives him all the right and authority to make decisions on his own

So, in your opinion there should be no such thing as classified intelligence?

Examples? I don't know of any time I've supported people leaking classified information.

He didn't leak to a news agency, he leaked it to a webpage dedicated to leaking information publicly.

wiki leaks is a news agency. news is that which interests the reader, and one does not need a degree in journalism to know how to research, and present information in a readable format

So, in your opinion there should be no such thing as classified intelligence?

i am sure some things should be classified. i am just as sure that those things should be leaked.