Stupid E P A

That's funny. The ambulance engine died but we don't know if the shooting victim did.

Besides the EPA is saving the world. Why worry about a gang member?

What is unclear is if the emissions controls can be disconnected or the fire department would have to buy new units without them.

When Ambulance 19 broke down, it was transporting 34-year-old Nathaniel McRae, who had just been in a shootout with D.C. police.

A medic continued to administer CPR while the crew waited for a second ambulance but McRae was pronounced dead at Howard University Hospital.

DC ambulance breaks down while transporting shooting victim to hospital

WASHINGTON -

The D.C. fire department is trying to determine why one of its newer diesel ambulances broke down as crews were transporting a patient in cardiac arrest.

It happened on I-295 Wednesday afternoon as Ambulance 19 was taking a shooting victim to the hospital. Then it took several minutes for a second ambulance to arrive.

The driver of Ambulance 19 is telling investigators the indicator lights on the emission control system suddenly and unexpectedly jumped from a warning to shut down in a matter of seconds, and as the engine died, she was able to pull the rig to the side of the road.

The question now is why? And can these newer rigs be trusted to be there in an emergency?

When the D.C. fire department began buying these diesel engine ambulances a few years ago, officials knew they would have to manage them with a new emission control system that would automatically shut the engine down if it wasn't allowed to what's called "regenerate.”

It was a mandate from the Environmental Protection Agency.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/22462597/dc-ambulance-breaks-down-while-transporting-shooting-victim-to-hospital#axzz2UpTOswiX

1. Perhaps the DC fire department should have shopped better.

2. The EPA does not build vehicles.

3. There's going to be a sale on original thoughts. Start saving your lawn mowing money.

3. There's going to be a sale on original thoughts. Start saving your lawn mowing money.

Government defender to the rescue!

That's the first mention in the thread of obama.

Are you sober?

who appoints the head of the epa? yeah im sober...gotta stop the boozin...after i quit smoking my metabolism took a sh it on me...doc says i gotta wait a year or so before i regain my metabolism...i am on a diet...

who appoints the head of the epa? yeah im sober...gotta stop the boozin...after i quit smoking my metabolism took a sh it on me...doc says i gotta wait a year or so before i regain my metabolism...i am on a diet...

I don't know who appointed the guy - do you? Are you certain it's not a holdover from bush?

And are you saying that you were cool with the epa while bush was prez?

You are doing a real pretzel routine here. Instead of pretending that the EPA built crappy vehicles for a fire department, why not go all the way and pretend obama built those vehicles?

I don't know who appointed the guy - do you? Are you certain it's not a holdover from bush?

And are you saying that you were cool with the epa while bush was prez?

You are doing a real pretzel routine here. Instead of pretending that the EPA built crappy vehicles for a fire department, why not go all the way and pretend obama built those vehicles?

dude, you sound like an 8 year old with your bush did it crap...obama apointed the guy...and the epa needs to be eliminated...period

dude, you sound like an 8 year old with your bush did it crap...obama apointed the guy...and the epa needs to be eliminated...period

Make up your mind.

Do you want to attack the EPA or obama? YOU are the one who is all over the board, suddenly making it about obama - sounding like a SEVEN year old.

The last two Lisa Jackson and Bob Perciasepe were appointed by Obama. The last one under Bush hasn't been in office since January 2009.

While 1 is true the fact is that EPA gets in bed with the designers of vehicles. If you look at the hoods of cars today you will that in action. Their requirements force the manufacturers have hoods that look almost all alike. They are also involved in other aspects of the vehicle design these days. And you say that the EPA does not build vehicles.

Keep in mind that you might be in trouble with the EPA since they have declared CO2 to be dangerous to the environment. What do you breathe out????

DC ambulance breaks down while transporting shooting victim to hospital

WASHINGTON -

The D.C. fire department is trying to determine why one of its newer diesel ambulances broke down as crews were transporting a patient in cardiac arrest.

It happened on I-295 Wednesday afternoon as Ambulance 19 was taking a shooting victim to the hospital. Then it took several minutes for a second ambulance to arrive.

The driver of Ambulance 19 is telling investigators the indicator lights on the emission control system suddenly and unexpectedly jumped from a warning to shut down in a matter of seconds, and as the engine died, she was able to pull the rig to the side of the road.

The question now is why? And can these newer rigs be trusted to be there in an emergency?

When the D.C. fire department began buying these diesel engine ambulances a few years ago, officials knew they would have to manage them with a new emission control system that would automatically shut the engine down if it wasn't allowed to what's called "regenerate.”

It was a mandate from the Environmental Protection Agency.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/22462597/dc-ambulance-breaks-down-while-transporting-shooting-victim-to-hospital#axzz2UpTOswiX

What does "regenerate" mean.

Regeneration is the process of removing the accumulated soot from the filter. This is done either passively (from the engine's exhaust heat in normal operation or by adding a catalyst to the filter) or actively introducing very high heat into the exhaust system.

1. Engine management to increase exhaust temperature through late fuel injection or injection during the exhaust stroke
  2. Use of a fuel borne catalyst to reduce soot burn-out temperature
  3. A fuel burner after the turbo to increase the exhaust temperature
  4. A catalytic oxidizer to increase the exhaust temperature, with after injection (HC-Doser)
  5. Resistive heating coils to increase the exhaust temperature
  6. Microwave energy to increase the particulate temperature

All on-board active systems use extra fuel, whether through burning to heat the DPF, or providing extra power to the DPF's electrical system, although the use of a fuel borne catalyst reduces the energy required very significantly. Typically a computer monitors one or more sensors that measure back pressure and/or temperature, and based on pre-programmed set points the computer makes decisions on when to activate the regeneration cycle. The additional fuel can be supplied by a metering pump. Running the cycle too often while keeping the back pressure in the exhaust system low will result in high fuel consumption. Not running the regeneration cycle soon enough increases the risk of engine damage and/or uncontrolled regeneration (thermal runaway) and possible DPF failure.

Diesel particulate matter burns when temperatures above 600 degrees Celsius are attained. This temperature can be reduced to somewhere in the range of 350 to 450 degrees Celsius by use of a fuel borne catalyst. The actual temperature of soot burn-out will depend on the chemistry employed. The start of combustion causes a further increase in temperature. In some cases, in the absence of a fuel borne catalyst, the combustion of the particulate matter can raise temperatures above the structural integrity threshold of the filter material, which can cause catastrophic failure of the substrate. Various strategies have been developed to limit this possibility. Note that unlike a spark-ignited engine, which typically has less than 0.5% oxygen in the exhaust gas stream before the emission control device(s), diesel engines have a very high ratio of oxygen available. While the amount of available oxygen makes fast regeneration of a filter possible, it also contributes to runaway regeneration problems.

Make up your mind.

Do you want to attack the EPA or obama? YOU are the one who is all over the board, suddenly making it about obama - sounding like a SEVEN year old.

shut up you six year old..obama is the epa beeotch.....

1. The EPA mandated this stuff, and it effects all diesels

2. The EPA doesn't have to build it to screw it up

3. So you're suggesting I quit paying the lawncare company? Don't think they'd appreciate that.

The result of the EPA's actions make these vehicles use 15 - 20% more fuel. When you see a diesel going down the road, and then you see him/her "get on it", and it belches out a big cloud of black smoke - that's the result of all the garbage being put on these units. Anyone with an EGT probe, or an aftermarket computer that hasn't deleted these functions, is able to tell when the regen process hits is rising to 100%.....if it hits 100% - as in the article - the vehicle shuts down. So, they floor it which essentially "cleans" out the crap (blowing the nice cloud into the air) and resets the clock again.

Having just bought my first diesel, I'm new to this stuff. What's remarkable is the problems it's causing alot of people, the large amount of extra fuel burned, all to get a nice solid cloud blown out the end to reset things.

Is it accomplishing the EPA's goal? I suppose it depends on what their goal is.......

Government defender to the rescue!

POT CALLING KETTLE - friggin hypo hypocrite!!!

Amazed Obama watching Rock trick as Rock shoves banana After banana up his own ass and makes them disappear.

11938_430967586985478_451701800_n.jpg

Right. We don't need no oversight on corporations who will gladly police themselves not to pollute every waterway, and the air we breath for shareholders profits. I mean before the EPA they were doing a fine job policing themselves.

Only the deadest of brains believes any of that. To the contrary, the EPA needs to become a lot more draconian in their fines and penalties for companies that pollute. A lot more draconian. And if some asshole redneck CEO can't handle it, then close that company down and watch how fast somebody with their shit together comes along and reopens it. Your profit margin ends, where the water I drink and the air I breath begins.

For those of you mechanically challenged, let me explain how that system works. It's bascically an exhaust recirculation system that recirculates the exhaust gas through a container that removes a large percentage of the pollutants before it is exhausted from the system. Similar systems have been around since the 80's. It wasn't that system or the EPA's fault that particular vehicle broke down. Ambulances were breaking down long before they were introduced. The blame lies squarely on the maintenance department before releasing the vehicle for duty.

Try to act like you've got some fucking intelligence even if you don't.

hey skews...i didnt read your......what ever the fu ck you call it...because i seen a picture of your dumb ass....dude...you need plastic surgery, steroids,,,and a suicide pistol...just saying