Hey Coal Miners This Is Your Future

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&ved=0CHkQFjAK&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2013%2F05%2F03%2Fpatriot-coal-mining_n_3210401.html&ei=6RaoUeehGcGB0AGz8oDIAg&usg=AFQjCNHLdbACwJ9OFudk-2n9qdxRIyIEzA&sig2=istUYgEItAQdhsamnBNZfw

s-PATRIOT-COAL-MINING-large.jpg?6

Alana Green discusses her experience working for Peabody Energy Corp. (Photo via the United Mine Workers of America)

WASHINGTON -- Alana Green worked underground. Not for the CIA or the police, but in a coal mine for eight hours a day, six days a week, for five years. She also drove shuttle cars, shot dynamite, and did whatever needed doing at a mine in Morganville, Ky., for another 16.

"You take a car and go underground, like a trolley," said Green. "The mines are very damp and cold and wet, with a low ceiling. The only lamp you have is on your head, and if you turn that out, you can't even see the hand in front of your face. In the wintertime, you go down in the dark and come back in dark."

Green, a grandmother of six, will be 59 years old next month. She suffers from Lyme disease, and her time in the coal mines has left her with black lung and chronic back problems, she told HuffPost. And if a judge in St. Louis rules in favor of Patriot Coal Corp. this month, she'll lose the health care and pension she worked more than two decades to earn.

Green worked for Peabody Energy Corp., which in 2007 spun off a new company, Patriot Coal. Patriot Coal filed for bankruptcy last July, claiming it must cut $150 million in annual employee obligations if it's to regain profitability.

The United Mine Workers of America says the spin-off was designed to fail, and intended to enable Patriot to dodge retiree health care obligations. Green is just one of 1,600-plus union miners and 13,000 retirees who are affected.

"There are thousands of us who gave our whole lives to Peabody," Green said. "We chose to give them because they promised to give us benefits and take care of us after our youth and our youngness were gone. A lot of people have malignant tumors and black lung or cancer," she added. "These people can't go out and get someone to pick them up for insurance."

I live in PAs Coal Regions ( Anthracite Coal ). Whole different ball game. Las Vegas would not exist if it were not for Anthracite Coal. Do the research. In fact, no major city that needs clean drinking water could exist without Anthracite Coal. Should we stop mining it?

maybe obama should stop restricting the mining companies so much that they could afford to deliver to their employees what they promised

You mean restrictions like safety regulations that prevent mining accidents like they have in China where hundreds of miners are killed ? Or do you mean restrictions to prevent mountain top removal, which pollutes drinking water supplies for miles around ? And if these restrictions were removed, and the company were to make more profit, do you really believe that they would pass those profits on to their employees ? I know these are too many questions for you. So answer just this one: why are you such a mindless shill for a dirty and dangerous industry, over the health and needs of your fellow Americans ?

do you really believe that they would pass those profits on to their employees ?

Do you really believe that no company ever, in the history of companies, has shared its profits with its employees? You act as if its some pipe dream, something that has never happened when the facts show otherwise. Just curious how deep your delusion of the "evil companies" goes.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&ved=0CHkQFjAK&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2013%2F05%2F03%2Fpatriot-coal-mining_n_3210401.html&ei=6RaoUeehGcGB0AGz8oDIAg&usg=AFQjCNHLdbACwJ9OFudk-2n9qdxRIyIEzA&sig2=istUYgEItAQdhsamnBNZfw

s-PATRIOT-COAL-MINING-large.jpg?6

Alana Green discusses her experience working for Peabody Energy Corp. (Photo via the United Mine Workers of America)

WASHINGTON -- Alana Green worked underground. Not for the CIA or the police, but in a coal mine for eight hours a day, six days a week, for five years. She also drove shuttle cars, shot dynamite, and did whatever needed doing at a mine in Morganville, Ky., for another 16.

"You take a car and go underground, like a trolley," said Green. "The mines are very damp and cold and wet, with a low ceiling. The only lamp you have is on your head, and if you turn that out, you can't even see the hand in front of your face. In the wintertime, you go down in the dark and come back in dark."

Green, a grandmother of six, will be 59 years old next month. She suffers from Lyme disease, and her time in the coal mines has left her with black lung and chronic back problems, she told HuffPost. And if a judge in St. Louis rules in favor of Patriot Coal Corp. this month, she'll lose the health care and pension she worked more than two decades to earn.

Green worked for Peabody Energy Corp., which in 2007 spun off a new company, Patriot Coal. Patriot Coal filed for bankruptcy last July, claiming it must cut $150 million in annual employee obligations if it's to regain profitability.

The United Mine Workers of America says the spin-off was designed to fail, and intended to enable Patriot to dodge retiree health care obligations. Green is just one of 1,600-plus union miners and 13,000 retirees who are affected.

"There are thousands of us who gave our whole lives to Peabody," Green said. "We chose to give them because they promised to give us benefits and take care of us after our youth and our youngness were gone. A lot of people have malignant tumors and black lung or cancer," she added. "These people can't go out and get someone to pick them up for insurance."

This is your present. I'd prefer black lung.

http://www.justin.tv/skews13/b/267790786

You mean restrictions like safety regulations that prevent mining accidents like they have in China where hundreds of miners are killed ? Or do you mean restrictions to prevent mountain top removal, which pollutes drinking water supplies for miles around ? And if these restrictions were removed, and the company were to make more profit, do you really believe that they would pass those profits on to their employees ? I know these are too many questions for you. So answer just this one: why are you such a mindless shill for a dirty and dangerous industry, over the health and needs of your fellow Americans ?

well, far more people would freeze to death in the 2014 winter than will die of black lung if we get rid of coal fired power plants....

more people will die of thirst, heat exhaustion, and starvation without coal than will die in the mines...

why do you hate civilization?

when 'free enterprise' causes disasters, it's relegated to the category of "acts of god"

Anthracite coal is used extensively in water filtration and in water treatment because of its excellent filtration properties. Anthracite coal is a top quality coal that consists of hard, durable coal particles that come in various sizes. Anthracite is used along with silica sand (dual media system) or with silica sand and filter rock (mixed media system) or by itself (mono media system).

Anyone here have a problem with clean drinking water?

Hey Coal Miners This Is Your Future

If true, this absolutely sucks.

Is there any better argument against company-provided health care and retirement benefits?

And for 401K's and privately bought plans, changing deductability from corporate to personal?