Sign in to follow this  
Annoyed Liberall

Credit Card Fraud

So I get a letter at work the other day from the credit card company saying 'congratulations! you have been approved for another card for employee _________'. Problem is, there is no employee by that name. So, I call thinking there is some mistake. Nope. This person called and got herself a company credit card. She was able to answer all the security questions including our credit limit. The owner of the company is the primary on the account and she knew his information. IDK how, but she did. Also, she had the card sent to McAllen, TX. She spent over 2 grand at Wal Mart and over 2 grand at Best Buy. All on the same day. These were in person purchases, not online.

The rep at the CC company told me this happens all the time. She acted like it was no big deal. I asked her why they would send a card to Texas when the mailing/billing address is and always has been in Minnesota. She said that companies frequently send cards to different addresses if employees work out of town a lot. Because this woman had enough information to answer the questions she got a card. Just like that. Unbelievable.

Of course we are not liable for the purchases, but that's beside the point. The rep told me about the security measures I could put into place so this doesn't happen again. Don't you think she should have told me about them when we opened the account initially?

So frustrating!!

Anyone else dealt with something like this?

So I get a letter at work the other day from the credit card company saying 'congratulations! you have been approved for another card for employee _________'. Problem is, there is no employee by that name. So, I call thinking there is some mistake. Nope. This person called and got herself a company credit card. She was able to answer all the security questions including our credit limit. The owner of the company is the primary on the account and she knew his information. IDK how, but she did. Also, she had the card sent to McAllen, TX. She spent over 2 grand at Wal Mart and over 2 grand at Best Buy. All on the same day. These were in person purchases, not online.

The rep at the CC company told me this happens all the time. She acted like it was no big deal. I asked her why they would send a card to Texas when the mailing/billing address is and always has been in Minnesota. She said that companies frequently send cards to different addresses if employees work out of town a lot. Because this woman had enough information to answer the questions she got a card. Just like that. Unbelievable.

Of course we are not liable for the purchases, but that's beside the point. The rep told me about the security measures I could put into place so this doesn't happen again. Don't you think she should have told me about them when we opened the account initially?

So frustrating!!

Anyone else dealt with something like this?

It's not uncommon for company credit cards to be sent to people all over the country (sales forces). But it's no sweat since the card will be canceled, and your company is not on the hook for the purchases.

You have to remember, companies NEVER cheat or steal, you can tell because they have a big "C" for capitalism after their names. Just be patient, this too will trickle down.

It's not uncommon for company credit cards to be sent to people all over the country (sales forces). But it's no sweat since the card will be canceled, and your company is not on the hook for the purchases.

Thats hardly the point. Why do they act like it's no big deal? Things like this are why we all pay more in fees and interest, etc.

WalMart and Best Buy will still get the money for the purchase. The last time I was at a walmart and used a CC they didn't even ask to see the card or my ID! I could have been using anyone's card.

Thats for identity theft. That most likely wouldn't have helped in this situation.

It might have since the private / personal info can be purchased online from Intellis and others, for a small fee, which services like Lifelock monitor and notify your owner about. And your company credit standing is easy, via Dun & Bradstreet info, vendors need to access in assigning net terms.

But in the end, no biggie. Even if you had not questioned it, when the statement came you'd have the WTF moment and get the card canceled and charges reversed.

Thats hardly the point. Why do they act like it's no big deal? Things like this are why we all pay more in fees and interest, etc.

WalMart and Best Buy will still get the money for the purchase. The last time I was at a walmart and used a CC they didn't even ask to see the card or my ID! I could have been using anyone's card.

Because it costs you zip and the card companies make tons of fees from flying fast and loose and consider fraud (small percentage) just a cost of doing business.

Not really. Fees are market driven (merchant discount, which they'll keep as high as they can). Interest is low for folks with high FICO scores, and probably zip for companies that pay the balance monthly. High interest (mid range FICO score) and high merchant fees (small retailers whose owners have marginal credit) is the gravy feeding the system ... the rest is all a percentage take ... with the hope of being the money handler on all financial transactions, based on merchant discount rates.

I use AMX and have not had any problems. I am the only person able to order corp cards in our name. I also did this with my last company where we had over 7 cards. What CC co do u deal with?

She acted like it was no big deal.

it wasnt her money, its why she has a job...

call her back and tell her someone has put a lien on her home and charged $4000 to her credit card and her car is being repossesed...

see the difference ?

I use AMX and have not had any problems. I am the only person able to order corp cards in our name. I also did this with my last company where we had over 7 cards. What CC co do u deal with?

We have more than 10 cards on the account. It's US Bank.

We have those securities now. The owner was always the only one who would order cards. We thought that was how it was. Apparently not.

It might have since the private / personal info can be purchased online from Intellis and others, for a small fee, which services like Lifelock monitor and notify your owner about. And your company credit standing is easy, via Dun & Bradstreet info, vendors need to access in assigning net terms.

True. I hadn't thought of this.

yup, my identity was stolen two years ago from someone that knew me, I pressed the local DA to file charges assisted with providing eveidence, they got 3 charges of theft by identity fraud I believe. Have to pay back the 2,000 plus they ran up on one card, pay the court a fee for teo or three years, must have no contact with me, and they are on probation for 3 years. funny part is you google her name and her mug shot appears hilarious. Getting ready to sue their a$$ in civil court currently.