Sign in to follow this  
toofamoustonameus

So I'm Shopping For An Rv. The Kind You Drive, Not Tow.

I'm gonna go from Rapid City to Salt Lake City, Las Vegas and San Diego. Then come back and hit Saint George Utah, Denver, Fort Colllins, and Rapid City.

Then I'm gonna go from Rapid City to Pensacola and Fort Myers florida. Then go up the east coast to South Carolina, then to Hershey Pa., and then Pittsburgh.

Then I'm going to Houghton Lake Michigan, then back to Rapid City.

Maybe a trip to Glacier Park and up to Anchorage Alaska. And I want to do it between memorial day and labor day.

Can anybody tell me what cha know about all that. I think I want the kind you drive. I'd rather not tow.

I aim to stay on the hiway and only get off the hiway at family and friend homes. Stay a day and move on. Two days tops.

I want to be grillin every nite. Pull over and sleep if I get too high and tired while driving. I don't want to wish I could un-hitch and run around.

At night I'll want to sit outside and drink a cold beer and smoke a bone while I'm grillin.

I'm looking for good advice.

i sold mine, it was a class a. i would get a class c if i were to do it again. getting a trailer is a better idea, thy stay warmer in colder weather, and there is more room.

class c are easier to drive around in big city traffic...better in the wind..on and on...get one with a slide out if you can. if it comes with an onan onboard gererator...dont use it. unless you are in a noise restriction area...the more quiet a generator the worse fuel economy you get. i bought the loudest generator i could find..five gallons of gas lasted all week

I'm gonna go from Rapid City to Salt Lake City, Las Vegas and San Diego. Then come back and hit Saint George Utah, Denver, Fort Colllins, and Rapid City.

Then I'm gonna go from Rapid City to Pensacola and Fort Myers florida. Then go up the east coast to South Carolina, then to Hershey Pa., and then Pittsburgh.

Maybe a trip to Glacier Park and up to Anchorage Alaska. And I want to do it between memorial day and labor day.

Can anybody tell me what cha know about all that. I think I want the kind you drive. I'd rather not tow.

I aim to stay on the hiway and only get off the hiway at family and friend homes. Stay a day and move on. Two days tops.

I want to be grillin every nite. Pull over and sleep if I get too high and tired while driving. I don't want to wish I could un-hitch and run around.

At night I'll want to sit outside and drink a cold beer and smoke a bone while I'm grillin.

Are you retiring?

I will go with a Class A. I bought a 36' in December last year! Had to get out of California due to a failing economy! I laid off the last few workers and I'm full time traveling! In Louisiana right now and move on to Florida next week!

I have had several trailers, you want comfort but you dont wanna break the bank either. Go with as small and sleek as you can live with. By that I mean the smaller the trailer the easier the pull and less dangerous. You can go smaller and buy a nicer trailer that has more options and stuff. The bigger it is the more gas its gonna take to pull it. So get the smallest you can be comfy in.

As a carpet cleaner, ive cleaned damn near every style there is but i can say they are built like shyt. They have some great smaller styles out that have living room bedroom bath kitchen with pull outs that open up pretty big. Look for the smaller sleek ones that open up big. Most of the better rv parks have wifi or cable now days so plan your trips to suit your rv camping.

If not a trailer, then definitely go with a diesel powered vehicle. More power - less complicated - decent mileage - engine will out last a gasoline engine 10 to 1. All vehicles with reciprocating engines should be diesel powered. I have years experience on diesel engines. Nothing comes close.

RVs and gas to run them is spendy. Take a fuel-efficient car and stay in 2-star hotels / motels and be more comfortable and save a few bucks at the same time.

IMO

RVs and gas to run them is spendy. Take a fuel-efficient car and stay in 2-star hotels / motels and be more comfortable and save a few bucks at the same time.

IMO

LOL ... '2 star hotels'?? ...more comfortable?

They even charge you $60 per night!... and you want to save a few bucks? LOL

LOL ... '2 star hotels'?? ...more comfortable?

They even charge you $60 per night!... and you want to save a few bucks? LOL

Yes. Larger shower, and queen size bed. Plus cable!!!

I had one custom built form a freightliner chassis. I made sure I had everything that was important to me. If I could do it again, I would buy a used one. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. I would go with something a little smaller and make sure it had what you are looking for.

Yes. Larger shower, and queen size bed. Plus cable!!!

I have news for you! You won't get cable in a 2 star! Many RV's have all three!

I have news for you! You won't get cable in a 2 star! Many RV's have all three!

Never been in one that does not have: a ) cable and a remote-controlled TV and typically HBO; b ) a larger shower than any RV I've been in; and c ) a larger bed with clean sheets that I do not have to wash in a coin-op laundry whilst rubber-tire traveling.

No one stays in 2 star hotel motels unless they are poor, they are horrible

No one stays in 2 star hotel motels unless they are poor, they are horrible

For the RV / rubber tire travel crowd, it's a friggin' resort.

But yeah; I'd no more book a 2 start than travel to South Carolina.

if you gotta pay to park your rv it gets expensive. i lived in mine for a year...boon docked...hotels do kick a little ass...but if you can park for free, do it...no bed bugs that way...and inspect everything you own if you stay in a hotel...bed bugs are damn near impossible to get rid of

with the price of gas, I would get a tesla and a tent trailer if you cant stay in hotels

just the gas savings would pay for the tesla

or rent an rv from a private party

If not a trailer, then definitely go with a diesel powered vehicle. More power - less complicated - decent mileage - engine will out last a gasoline engine 10 to 1. All vehicles with reciprocating engines should be diesel powered. I have years experience on diesel engines. Nothing comes close.

That'd be great until I pulled up to a gas station and pumped it full of "gasoline". [i space stuff out]

IMO

I don't roll on the cheap. I just want to take my bed on the road with me. Sleep for a few hours when i wanna.

Are you retiring?

I will go with a Class A. I bought a 36' in December last year! Had to get out of California due to a failing economy! I laid off the last few workers and I'm full time traveling! In Louisiana right now and move on to Florida next week!

I'm dying from cardio vascular disease. I had 3 heart attacks, and have 4 stents, and 3 more blockages that can't be stented.

I get worn out real easy. I like to sleep a few hours every couple hours. Like get up at 7, sleep from noon to 2, drive until 6 and sleep till 10, then drive until 4 am. and sleep till 7.

I like to get my 8 hours sleep a day in 4, 2hour naps.

I also want to be able to say "ah crap, the heck with it", and pull off somewhere, break out the grill, cooler and rockin chair.

Then grill somethin, drink a cold beer, and smoke a dank bud.

I have a friend in Salt Lake, a couple in Vegas, and a niece in San Diego. On the way back I want to see a friend in saint george utah, friends in denver, fort collins, and cheyenne.

Then after a week of resting in Rapid, I plan to go to Pensacola to see a nephew, and to fort myers to visit a widow and kids of a deceased friend.

Then to South Carolina to see a niece, her son, and a sister.

Then to Hershey to visit a ton of family.

Then to Pittsburgh to visit another ton of family.

Then to Houghton Lake Michigan to see my brother and his family.

Then to Glacier Park to relax for a week.

Then to Anchorage to visit my lifelong ace boon coon.

I only need room for a grill, rockin chair, cooler, and a place to lay down every now and then. Maybe a fishin and camping bundle.

Donna can drive when I feel bad. She wants something easy. No bus, fifth wheel, big rig.

She says she will only drive one of those ones you drive and live in.

I have shoe boxes of cash, and I'm taking one with me. Since you can't take it with you when you die.

I want to do it in under 90 days so I can be back in rapid city by september.

Budget will be like 1k a day for me, and 1k a day for angel face.

Plus, I want to use the thing for when I go on metal detector and treasure hunting trips. I wanna go to Santa Fe to find that treasure Mr. Finn hid. And maybe stop at yellowstone to fish on the way, in october if I'm still alive.

Plus, I have a very musical family on my mothers side. I get videos of my nieces and nephews playing at events, and the little ones playing at recitals and such. It makes my heart pound sometimes and I wish I could touch them.

I have 7 younger brothers and sisters, with 2 brothers already dead.

I have 19 nieces and 13 nephews, and they have babies that I need to squeeze.

My nephews daughter, Taylor, is a piano master. And she is a 13 year old beauty queen. - and the second place girl wasn't even close. She looks like a young jennifer aniston [only cuter]. Her mama is one beautiful woman too. I don't want to watch videos of her playing, I want to sit there and watch it.

I have a huge family, and we were always close, Our mothers house was a daily hangout and everybody was dropping in every day.

This trip is the last time I'll see them, so I want to make every second count. Next time I kiss them goodbye will be the last good-bye.

i sold mine, it was a class a. i would get a class c if i were to do it again. getting a trailer is a better idea, thy stay warmer in colder weather, and there is more room.

class c are easier to drive around in big city traffic...better in the wind..on and on...get one with a slide out if you can. if it comes with an onan onboard gererator...dont use it. unless you are in a noise restriction area...the more quiet a generator the worse fuel economy you get. i bought the loudest generator i could find..five gallons of gas lasted all week

I don't plan on cold weather touring. I'm down with the slide out, but not at the expense of storage space. I need a place to put cooler, rocker, grill, fishin gear, clothes, camping gear, fold-up table, saxophones, guitar, and a few other things. Donnas bike can get strapped to the back.

I had my sax one day when I was in the Rockies, and I broke it out and played, the acoustics were chilling, and I felt like people could hear me 50 miles away.

So far, I'm leaning toward an "Isata". But winnebagos are pretty well built it appears.

Just go diesel and go pusher.

...unless you can afford all the breakdowns!

For the RV / rubber tire travel crowd, it's a friggin' resort.

But yeah; I'd no more book a 2 start than travel to South Carolina.

I sleep, every night, in my OWN bed, dude!... not in a bed where you boinked a hooker the night before!

I don't plan on cold weather touring. I'm down with the slide out, but not at the expense of storage space. I need a place to put cooler, rocker, grill, fishin gear, clothes, camping gear, fold-up table, saxophones, guitar, and a few other things. Donnas bike can get strapped to the back.

I had my sax one day when I was in the Rockies, and I broke it out and played, the acoustics were chilling, and I felt like people could hear me 50 miles away.

So far, I'm leaning toward an "Isata". But winnebagos are pretty well built it appears.

all rvs have enough room to stash stuff.. most of your stuff will go in your storage lockers under the coach

2 6volt batteries are better than 2 12v batteries.

get a solar battery charger for the coach batteries you wont regret that investment one bit.

make sure that you educate your self on your power hookups...KNOW THEM...or you will screw up your rig...

i loved boon docking...parked next to the yellowstone for a year, fishing and sitting under the canopy at night drinking a libation listening to the river go by...hell...good times

i bought an old slide in camper, i am going to restore it completely...it will be decked out the way i want it and completely self sustaining..with solar...