Iraq War Hero Has A Message To Bush And Cheney

No, I disagree with the hero title. It doesn't take courage to get shot or blown up, it takes bad luck. Earning the Purple Heart, aka Enemy Marksmanship Badge, does not qualify you as a hero.

Now, he is courageous for standing up for what he believes is right, but that doesn't make him a war hero.

A hero is someone who is afraid to do something, but he does it anyway if he believes it's the right thing to do. In that instance this man certainly is a hero. If this soldier were a conservative, you'd refer to him as a hero. Don't lie and say differently.

In 2002, a Southern Democrat, Max Cleland, ran for re-election to the Senate From Georgia. He was pro-choice, a moderate, and voted for Bush tax packages He was injured in Vietnam, losing both legs and and an arm, winning bronze and silver stars. But because he ran as a Democrat, his Republican opponent, Saxby Chambliss, had no trouble branding him as an enemy of the United States. Chambliss ran tv ads against Cleland. The ads showed pictures of Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. It was because Cleland had voted against certain Homeland Security measures though he supported the war on terror.

But those pix of Hussein and bin Laden were enough to get Saxby Chambliss elected. Chambliss is still there, though in my opinion he should be tarred and feathered for smearing a hero. Max Cleland is the very type of person Republicans say are the "real Americans." Yeah, real Americans until you do something Republicans don't like. Then you become a communist.

I hate the right wing for pulling garbage like this, for their rank hypocrisy in pretending to love servicemen. Anyone capable of taking down someone who gave what Max Cleland did for his country deserves whatever this society can give him. But Republicans don't seem to see it that way.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thje compassionate, troop-respecting conservatives.

All it takes is a leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetle prodding to bring out their REAL attitude towards the guys that actually went there and put their asses on the line. While golfy, VOR, regel et al were here pounding on a keyboard.

+1

A hero is someone who is afraid to do something, but he does it anyway if he believes it's the right thing to do. In that instance this man certainly is a hero. If this soldier were a conservative, you'd refer to him as a hero. Don't lie and say differently.

In 2002, a Southern Democrat, Max Cleland, ran for re-election to the Senate From Georgia. He was pro-choice, a moderate, and voted for Bush tax packages He was injured in Vietnam, losing both legs and and an arm, winning bronze and silver stars. But because he ran as a Democrat, his Republican opponent, Saxby Chambliss, had no trouble branding him as an enemy of the United States. Chambliss ran tv ads against Cleland. The ads showed pictures of Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. It was because Cleland had voted against certain Homeland Security measures though he supported the war on terror.

But those pix of Hussein and bin Laden were enough to get Saxby Chambliss elected. Chambliss is still there, though in my opinion he should be tarred and feathered for smearing a hero. Max Cleland is the very type of person Republicans say are the "real Americans." Yeah, real Americans until you do something Republicans don't like. Then you become a communist.

I hate the right wing for pulling garbage like this, for their rank hypocrisy in pretending to love servicemen. Anyone capable of taking down someone who gave what Max Cleland did for his country deserves whatever this society can give him. But Republicans don't seem to see it that way.

Lisa, you missed my point. He's not a war hero, but he is a hero by your definition for standing up for what he believes in. Now if you expand that out to say that anyone who is in the military is a hero, then yes, he is by that definition. But that doesn't mean he committed any valorous acts during his time in Iraq. I should clarify by saying that just doing his job over there is not in and of itself considered valorous act by those in the military. I don't recall reading anywhere where he earned any valor medals, just the Purple Heart.

I would never slight a veteran from any recognition due, but in this case, I just disagreed with ES calling him a war hero. He was just a Soldier doing his job and happened to get hit. His actions during his recovery are certainly worthy of the title hero but his actions in Iraq do not make him a war hero.

+1

Don't encourage him, you know he's wrong in at least one instance, but I do agree with him in regards to some of the folks posting on here. It seems like they thought they saw a bandwagon to jump on when I was clarifying a war hero vs a hero.

Regel--He's just all whiny and bit-chy cuz he got tagged in a war he considers "bad"..poor baby...

I simply (and accurately) said he could have just as easily gotten "tagged" in the "good war", too. Would his attitude have been different?

I thinking not. It seems the military wasn't a good fit for this young man.

Here's a great documentary about the lead up to the Iraq War. I know most of you cons probably haven't or won't watch it, but it's not just some opinion piece by Rachel Maddow. It has a number of those personally in the know about what went on.

And just so no one forgets, here's an article about another tea-party prick Congressman attacking an Iraq War veteran who was running against him. (He lost by the way.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/03/joe-walsh-tammy-duckworth_n_1646793.html

So being shot while working to make sure his fellow soldiers had the ammo, food, and medical supplies they needed is not noble or courageous enough? They didn't really need the bullets or bandages right? Those front line soldiers don't need to shoot back right? They didn't need the water or MRE's right? What was he thinking risking his life to bring them such meaningless trinkets?

Doing his JOB is not doing something heroic.

I'm sorry, but that's they way it is. He was riding in a convoy and got shot, he wasn't doing something "above and beyone the call".

Sorry, you don't get to redefine what the definition of being a hero is.

If you're afraid of a spider, are you some kind of hero because you killed one instead of running away? No.

And no, I wouldn't call him a hero if he were a conservative. Once again you're talking out your ass, but even if I would, I wouldn't use his still warm body to advance my political agenda.

yes.....Republicans never met a war they didn't like.

They're already banging the war drums for war in Syria.

What are you going to say about Obama when he sends troops into Syria?

'My day of reckoning is upon me. Yours will come,' he warns

Young was shot above the collarbone and paralyzed from the chest down just 5 days into his deployment in 2004, as chronicled in the award - winning 2007 documentary Body of War - then suffered a pulmonary embolism and a brain injury in 2008. Last November, after years of abdominal pain, doctors removed his colon.

After months of taking 20 pills a day and ingesting food thru a tube, Young plans to end his life this month by removing the tube.

But Young isn't going quietly.

On the 10th anniversay of the Iraq War last month he published a scathing open letter to George Bush and Dick Cheney.

"The Iraq War is the largest strategic blunder in U.S. history," wrote Young, adding, "On every level – moral, strategic, military and economic – Iraq was a failure. And it was you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, who started this war. It is you who should pay the consequences. 'My day of reckoning is upon me. Yours will come,' he warns.

My day of reckoning is upon me. Yours will come. I hope you will be put on trial. But mostly I hope, for your sakes, that you find the moral courage to face what you have done to me and to many, many others who deserved to live. I hope that before your time on earth ends, as mine is now ending, you will find the strength of character to stand before the American public and the world, and in particular the Iraqi people, and beg for forgiveness.

Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello, a close friend of Young's, was one of many who found themselves moved by Young's words. "I think that letter is the most effective piece of anti-war literature written in 50 years," says Morello.

Adds Morello, "It's a damning indictment. He's a soldier who is calling the former president a war criminal

That's news !

And accurate."

Young's full letter:

Tomas Young, Dying Iraq War Veteran, Writes Last Letter to Bush and Cheney

maybe he should not have volunteered...or trained harder...or ducked....

Doing his JOB is not doing something heroic.

I'm sorry, but that's they way it is. He was riding in a convoy and got shot, he wasn't doing something "above and beyone the call".

Sorry, you don't get to redefine what the definition of being a hero is.

If you're afraid of a spider, are you some kind of hero because you killed one instead of running away? No.

And no, I wouldn't call him a hero if he were a conservative. Once again you're talking out your ass, but even if I would, I wouldn't use his still warm body to advance my political agenda.

What are you going to say about Obama when he sends troops into Syria?

maybe it is a difference of perspective.I don't get shot at while I do my job, do you?

I am not saying the young man should be getting the congressional medal of honor, just that it is okay to call him a hero.

Don't you think the folks who were receiving the food, water, and ammo might think of him in that light?

I will think of him as a hero, not just doing his job. He was willing to and did make a sacrifice for us. All the pain, and the drugs and the inability to be what he was before was not just part of his job. No wonder the VA fails as much as they do; if that post battle suffering is just part of the job.

I do think you have a point about how this is being used.

Personally I also feel like Bush, Cheney, Rice and a few others are war criminals.

But I think this young man's statement is powerful enough that it doesn't need a chorus of agreement from folks whose asses were never on that line.

maybe it is a difference of perspective.I don't get shot at while I do my job, do you?

I am not saying the young man should be getting the congressional medal of honor, just that it is okay to call him a hero.

Don't you think the folks who were receiving the food, water, and ammo might think of him in that light?

I will think of him as a hero, not just doing his job. He was willing to and did make a sacrifice for us. All the pain, and the drugs and the inability to be what he was before was not just part of his job. No wonder the VA fails as much as they do; if that post battle suffering is just part of the job.

Personally I also feel like Bush, Cheney, Rice and a few others are war criminals.

But I think this young man's statement is powerful enough that it doesn't need a chorus of agreement from folks whose asses were never on that line.

Your last sentence is awesome.

And, unfortunately, no, the "trigger pullers" don't think of us as heroes. They don't realize that from 2004-2006 truck drivers took more casualties, percentage-wise, than any other branch of the military. Their commanders say tell us what they want and think it magically appears. It happens, it's a thankless job.

Feel free to call him a hero if you want, that doesn't make him one.

Again, doing your job you signed up to do, isn't "heroic".

From his letter:

“I did not join the Army to go to Iraq, a country that had no part in the September 2001 attacks and did not pose a threat to its neighbors, much less to the United States

,” he wrote.
“I did not join the Army to ‘liberate’ Iraqis or to shut down mythical weapons-of-mass-destruction facilities or to implant what you cynically called ‘democracy’ in Baghdad and the Middle East. I did not join the Army to rebuild Iraq, which at the time you told us could be paid for by Iraq’s oil revenues.”

So what exactly DID he think he was signing up to do? He goes on to claim that he wouldn't be complaining if he had been shot in Afghanistan. Does he really think that the al Qaeda people who shot him in Iraq are different from the ones in Afghanistan? Really?

Feel free to call him a hero if you want, that doesn't make him one.

Again, doing your job you signed up to do, isn't "heroic".

From his letter:

“I did not join the Army to go to Iraq, a country that had no part in the September 2001 attacks and did not pose a threat to its neighbors, much less to the United States,” he wrote. “I did not join the Army to ‘liberate’ Iraqis or to shut down mythical weapons-of-mass-destruction facilities or to implant what you cynically called ‘democracy’ in Baghdad and the Middle East. I did not join the Army to rebuild Iraq, which at the time you told us could be paid for by Iraq’s oil revenues.”

So what exactly DID he think he was signing up to do? He goes on to claim that he wouldn't be complaining if he had been shot in Afghanistan. Does he really think that the al Qaeda people who shot him in Iraq are different from the ones in Afghanistan? Really?

he joined for the free college