TheOldBarn

Change The Gun Laws And Gut The Nra

Besides the fact that the OP is scared of guns and people who would protect themselves you have to ask yourself the most important question of all: If we dismantle the Bill of Rights one piece at a time how important do you think it will be for the government to allow the rest to be adhered to? The 1st Amendment only exists because the 2cd is there as a threat of sorts, to ensure that it remains. I'm liberal but I like guns, I like the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. But once you start removing things piecemeal or you make ignorant statements like "it's a living document" then all of our rights are subject to be rescinded. These documents are the law of the land and sorry to inform the rest of you out there, but our forefathers were infinitely more intelligent than any of you are. They knew what could happen had they not ratified the Bill of Rights. I'm alive today because at the tender age of 16 I was fortunate to 1) live in a pro gun state 2) live in an armed household. The goblin who entered my home intent on theft whilst being armed surely would have killed the teenager that stood in his way. He was willing to bet his life on his actions and he bet incorrectly. I don't feel bad about taking his life as what it all boiled down to is that one of us was going to die. I'm glad it was him. Too bad for his friends, for his family. He made the wrong call.

Since that interaction way back in 1980 I've had occasion to use a firearm to prevent a crime. Held car theives for police once. Held a gang banger who had stolen weapons for police once. Ex g/f sent two dudes to beat the snot out of me and Smith & Wesson just being present helped them change their minds. My best friend shot and held two guys that murdered a kid who worked at a movie theater. My grandmother stopped a guy half way thru the window of her home with her 20 gauge shotgun. Didn't shoot him, but "showed it" to him. Another friend chased off a dude who broke into his g/f's home to hurt her. This stuff happens all the time, it's not reported in the news cuz lets face it, that doesn't sell commercials to advertisers. But what it boils down to is you either believe in the law of the land or you don't. If you don't think the Constitution and Bill of Rights should be adhered to then simply you're un-American and IMHO a traitor.

And this coming from a guy who has blocked logging trucks, campaigned to stop fishing of the whales, stood up against corporations poisoning our ground water and for a woman's right to choose. The fact is I live in the real world where predators also live, and not necessarily predators that would break into your home. There are many predators in both parties in D.C. who are conspiring to take away our rights. They are above the law.

"If their fearful claims that "they're coming to take your guns away" ever actually happens, their member list is a great starting point for the "gun confiscators."

A great starting point for the 'gun confiscators'?

I would wonder if a Repube candidate would ever even think that.

Seems like a thrilling prospect to you.

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Cesare Beccaria

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon - so long as there is no answer to it - gives claws to the weak." - George Orwell "You and the Atom Bomb", 1945

"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie." - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

"I have one simple request ... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!" - Dr. Evil

KJ

Fake Lenin quote.

There is no credible source, and all other sources state it is fake. Of course, Ben Carson hasn't figured that out.

• Downvote 1

I have a question that has never been answered to my satisfaction. If we get all the law abiding people to give up their guns, how would we get the criminals to give up their guns? Or would we be safer as a populace when only the police and criminals have guns?

Would the crazy people that do mass shootings now be unable to acquire firearms if we make firearms illegal?

I ask this because in my mind it seems that if we take away guns from law abiding people the only ones who will have them would be the people with no respect for the law, i.e., the criminals. How does that help us?

I have a question that has never been answered to my satisfaction. If we get all the law abiding people to give up their guns, how would we get the criminals to give up their guns? Or would we be safer as a populace when only the police and criminals have guns?

Would the crazy people that do mass shootings now be unable to acquire firearms if we make firearms illegal?

I ask this because in my mind it seems that if we take away guns from law abiding people the only ones who will have them would be the people with no respect for the law, i.e., the criminals. How does that help us?

Britain: 60,000,000 people- 39 gun fatalities, and that includes accidents and suicides.

Fake Lenin quote.

There is no credible source, and all other sources state it is fake. Of course, Ben Carson hasn't figured that out.

"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie." - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

I'll bet you're correct.

Such a proceedural thing to be considered in the time of just wiping people (who you don't like) out, is silly.

I will delete it from my quotes sheet.

How about this one?

“Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage, and basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass.” - Jonathan Gruber, Oct. 17, 2013, MIT economist who helped write Obamacare.

KJ

I'll bet you're correct.

Such a proceedural thing to be considered in the time of just wiping people (who you don't like) out, is silly.

I will delete it from my quotes sheet.

How about this one?

“Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage, and basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass.” - Jonathan Gruber, Oct. 17, 2013, MIT economist who helped write Obamacare.

KJ

Thread about NRA. But I really don't care about Gruber. Just another thing to make the Tea Partiers whirl around, until their heads spin.

I was shot once no joke

the smell lingered for a long time

long after I healed

I shot a rabbit once

Turned my head when I was showed

How to clean it right there

Been bow hunting too

Hunting's okay

Used to be something you had to do

Like a lot of things

Anyway, living people are more sacred to me than guns

P.S. ACA was the best they could do in the stupid political climate we seem to find ourselves in

Yeah it's true I'm just a peacenik --- did I spell that right?

Karl Marx was a cool guy --- can I say that/ is that alright?

I work for a large Corporation

Here's the problem with them

The corporate governance scheme

You know the stock market,

The shareholder value is too much

Where it's all at

All those folks who sit on the board

Work a week or maybe two a year and get

paid more than most dream to ever make in a year

And the CEO, if they play the game right

Well, the get paid the big bucks...

So that's why big companies grow and grow

Buying up smaller ones

Wait... this was supposed to be about guns

I'm sorry.

Peace!

Don't be sorry, the NRA and the gun manufacturers are the Corporations that control our Congress. They are the ones that fund these RW think tanks and political groups.

If only George Soros and Warren Buffet had more money to give to Media Matters and the HuffPo, then the Cons could be inundated w/ lies and spin to the point of irrelevancy.

KJ

If only George Soros and Warren Buffet had more money to give to Media Matters and the HuffPo, then the Cons could be inundated w/ lies and spin to the point of irrelevancy.

KJ

Yawn!

Posted · Hidden by bludog, August 29, 2015 - Conservative talking point
Hidden by bludog, August 29, 2015 - Conservative talking point

The only reason that this country has never been invaded by a foreign power is how many guns that are in private hands .

Posted · Hidden by bludog, August 29, 2015 - Not needed
Hidden by bludog, August 29, 2015 - Not needed

krysm1 - You are posting a Conservative position in the "LIberals Only" room. Please post Conservative views in the No Holds Barred area.