Nerdette

2014 And 2016?

Hey Everyone!

What do you think will happen in 2014? Do you think Democrats will pick up more house or senate seats?

And finally, who do you want to run for president in 2016? I'm hoping Hillary Clinton will run; what do you think her chances of getting elected are?

Well you and I have already had this discussion, but I'd like to see Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton in the running. #DreamTeam

By the way Ms. Nerdette, you're signature "I love it when I wake up in the morning and Barack Obama is President!" is going in my quotes topic! :)

the ball is in the GOP's court now. their deliberate attempt to sink the country all in the hopes of getting mitt elected failed.

however the average american has the attention span of a lemming, and the long term memory of a goldfish, so they are getting the proverbial standing 8 count.

the fiscal cliff thing (specifically their reluctance for the wealthy to pay more taxes) will weigh heavily on voters minds in 2014..so we will see what they do

Edited by lostphoenix

"however the average american has the attention span of a lemming, and the long term memory of a goldfish"

An unfortunate truth.

At some point these poor & middle class (what's left of it) Republicans need to wake up and smell the coffee. They are voting against their own interests. They can protect Donald Trump's bank account but then they will have to pay what he won't. Not much common sense there.

"however the average american has the attention span of a lemming, and the long term memory of a goldfish" An unfortunate truth. At some point these poor & middle class (what's left of it) Republicans need to wake up and smell the coffee. They are voting against their own interests. They can protect Donald Trump's bank account but then they will have to pay what he won't. Not much common sense there.

Common sense comes when one ignores their own senses and learns to believe intellect and intelligence come from beyond the functioning balance taking place currently within one's own skin.

Collective bargaining after accepting a character role in societal evolution only teaches ancestors how to deny the self evident and feel justified that every body does it the same way in different means to an end game of wordplay.

Words put into musical content is language arts of misdirecting thoughts to believe rather than understand the body's self containment operates the same way as the atmosphere's self containment of life upon this planets location in the balance of everything taking place now.

It isn't complicated, it is simple compounding additions of contracting miolecules expanding the details being added currently. It takes rocket science and spirituality to persuade everybody to accept the idea humanity rules human behavior hypothetically.

Michelle Obama would beat Hillary Clinton just as Barack Obama did in 2008. But it will still leave the Global Progressive party in charge of all three branches of the Federal Government and both party lines.

The party lines to me are left vs right. management vs craft, and males vs females. Power, wealth, and fame of the individual over understanding what each gender is to the species surviving this adapt or become extinct moment hoping time changes everything going on now.

Great deception humanity, it creates the many theaters of reality matters and lifetimes don't count unless joining a collective means of self justified denial in honoring symbolism over substance understood completely as science writes fiction and spirituality offers fantasy while both demand nobody look beyond the supplied definitions created by church and state regulated ideas character matters and genders don't count without social title within an ideal fabrication of societal evolution to state of mine the laws that rule or spiritually an individual body doesn't matter trying to discuss the self evident of self containment within their own skin, within the atmosphere of this planet, this solar system, this galaxy, thgis moment 24 hours of relative dividing the moemnt doesn't change all the details added currently being now everywhere..

Edited by sole result

Hello, I think we can do more for the poor in this country and Obama Care is a great first step.

But I am a Chemist by profession and as a result look at everything analytically.

However, taxing the rich is not the solution. The top 1.5% of household incomes in the US are

households making $250,000 and more. The average annual income for this group is $512,000.

Under the "Bush" Tax cuts that group pays FITW at 33% and 35% rates. The Federal govt

recieves $296 billion in taxes from this high income group. Even if we tax them at a 50% tax

rate (10% more then President Obama is asking for) this increases $139 billion to a total of

$435 billion in revenue, which is almost 20% of the total fed's revenues.

2011 Revenue $2,303 billion (Rich already pay 296 billion)

2011 Spending $3,598 billion

2011 Deficit ... ($1,295 billion)

Taxing the Rich $139 billion (more for a 50% tax rate)

New defict ($1,156 billion)

Now if we tax the rich at 100% rate or all the money they earn in a year.

2011 Deficit ($1,295 billion)

New Revenue $574 (100% rate for the rich)

New 2011 deficit ($721 billion)

We still get deeper in debt every year even if we take all the rich peoples money.

The facts are simple the rich may have alot of money but there are not alot of rich

people in our county. Therefore no matter how high we tax them they do not have

enough money collectively to pay the current US spending.

We either have to cut spending or increase taxes on everyone.

It's not either/or, IMHO.............How about we do do a little of both ???

Curbing spending, reducing waste, and reforming taxes in a responsible way is the key, as I see it....

It's not either/or, IMHO.............How about we do do a little of both ???

Curbing spending, reducing waste, and reforming taxes in a responsible way is the key, as I see it....

Any suggestions on how to do that?

Any serious spending cuts have not occurred since the 90's when Newt and his cabal had control of the House.

Nancy P. ruled over massive increases in spending. But under President Bush and President Obama.

The House controls the finances of the country not the President.

Well you and I have already had this discussion, but I'd like to see Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton in the running. #DreamTeamBy the way Ms. Nerdette, you're signature "I love it when I wake up in the morning and Barack Obama is President!" is going in my quotes topic! :)

Bernie Sanders would be fantastic. The realist in me knows in this climate he can't win but he would bring a lot of truth to the table and keep the others honest in the debates.

2014 - McConnell will lose his seat. He is so out of touch and Ky knows it.

Hillary 2016

vp Julian Castro..... ok major long shot. The cons better start recognizing white rich males are the minority as opposed to their precious 2nd amendment musket era.

I can feel the cons choking on their cognac on that scenario.

I would expect Castro to make a run for senator/gov of Texas at least. He is the poster child for rags/success story.

Any suggestions on how to do that?

Any serious spending cuts have not occurred since the 90's when Newt and his cabal had control of the House.

Nancy P. ruled over massive increases in spending. But under President Bush and President Obama.

The House controls the finances of the country not the President.

If you have ever worked for the gov you know the tremendous waste there is, that would be a great place to start.....

Joe Biden is being groomed and getting more exposure. I say Joe Biden in 2016. As President Obama said ," He can't do it alone". We all need to stay on the ball and not get lazy and let the cons continue to grow. We Democrat's can and should take back the house and then and only then will we be able to put this country back on the road in the right direction.

Hey Everyone!

What do you think will happen in 2014? Do you think Democrats will pick up more house or senate seats?

And finally, who do you want to run for president in 2016? I'm hoping Hillary Clinton will run; what do you think her chances of getting elected are?

The Teabags are looking ugly but so many distriocts are heavily gerrymandered that I doubt the Dems gain enough in '14 to take the House. Here....Ohio, they used an ALEC formula to attach a part off each major city to a couple of counties that are rural/small town and reliably RED...so...while the 10 biggest cities should have given the Dems at least 50% of Ohio's congress seats...all they got was 25%. My area would have been blu, but we got artificially attached to a couple of counties that are mainly rural,white,conservative. A lot of Dem votes in Columbus and Cleveland got bled off in similar fashion. More honest and natural districts would have yeilded a much different outcome. Last election....I may as well have written in myself for congress since the outcome was pre-determined. ALEC did much of the research,and in many stated told GOP legislatures exactly how to redistrict to best thwart democracy. At what point do they go too far? The real GOP agenda really offers damn little to the rural and snall town voters in States like Ohio,Pennsylvania,Michigan, Wisconsin. The GOP takes those "red Zone" votes for granted.

Hillary is the obvious front runner for 2016,but she stepped out of the high profile Sec State job and is no youngster. So...it's not a lock she's into it come 2016,or is the top Dem option. I'd love to see Bernie Sanders as Pres...but it's unlikely. As pragmatic as he is, his solidly liberal stands will work against him in some key states. Biden? He's a sleeper,another veteran of the game ,and again there may be a slight negative off his age. Biden has a solid resume.

There's probably a dozen younger,less known,Dems who can gain the needed attention in the next couple years. I'd say it's about two yrs before the 2016 pool shapes up. I'm aware of a few who I'd LIKE but then...ELECTABLE will be a factor and my "ideal" may be too liberal to win.

Hillary is the obvious front runner for 2016,but she stepped out of the high profile Sec State job and is no youngster. So...it's not a lock she's into it come 2016,or is the top Dem option. I'd love to see Bernie Sanders as Pres...but it's unlikely. As pragmatic as he is, his solidly liberal stands will work against him in some key states. Biden? He's a sleeper,another veteran of the game ,and again there may be a slight negative off his age. Biden has a solid resume.

There's probably a dozen younger,less known,Dems who can gain the needed attention in the next couple years. I'd say it's about two yrs before the 2016 pool shapes up. I'm aware of a few who I'd LIKE but then...ELECTABLE will be a factor and my "ideal" may be too liberal to win.

I have a feeling Hillary won't run. She's had some health issues and running for, let alone being prez is a huge stress.

I think the GOP is afraid of Hillary...as they should be.

To keep hurting this country, just to make Obama fail. I hate the repukes more every day.

Being president is a huge stress. Just look at pictures of a president when first going into office and when they are leaving. Obama, Bush, Clinton, any of them.

However I don't think Hillary's health will be an issue. She's stepping down from her position and unless she's starting another big job I haven't heard about, will have 4 years to lay the ground work for her next campaign. Remember, she came close to winning the election against President Obama.

If I was the GOP I'd be afraid of Hillary too. She's smart, likeable and has a lot of experience. And she has a not-so-secret but effective weapon: Bill Clinton.

I like Hillary. But I'm still going to be a dreamer and say Bernie Sanders. :)

We still get deeper in debt every year even if we take all the rich peoples money.

The facts are simple the rich may have alot of money but there are not alot of rich

This sir, is a great point.

We have got to get a handle on our spending. This means that everything has to give and both sides are going to have to feel real pain. Entitlements must be reduced. The military budget must be reduced. A lot of things must be reduced and it is going to hurt.

This is not to say there is not more revenue we can recognize. I'm all for getting rid of all loopholes. The mortgage tax, earned income credit, charity, all of it. Then we wouldn't need to raise anyone's rates because they would be paying based on their true income. Also, I see no reason that money in teh form of capital gains is not taxed the same way as hourly wages are taxed. The rich use their money to make money. The poor use their labor to make money. All the means of production shoul dbe taxed equal.

Hello, I think we can do more for the poor in this country and Obama Care is a great first step.

But I am a Chemist by profession and as a result look at everything analytically.

However, taxing the rich is not the solution. The top 1.5% of household incomes in the US are

households making $250,000 and more. The average annual income for this group is $512,000.

Under the "Bush" Tax cuts that group pays FITW at 33% and 35% rates. The Federal govt

recieves $296 billion in taxes from this high income group. Even if we tax them at a 50% tax

rate (10% more then President Obama is asking for) this increases $139 billion to a total of

$435 billion in revenue, which is almost 20% of the total fed's revenues.

2011 Revenue $2,303 billion (Rich already pay 296 billion)

2011 Spending $3,598 billion

2011 Deficit ... ($1,295 billion)

Taxing the Rich $139 billion (more for a 50% tax rate)

New defict ($1,156 billion)

Now if we tax the rich at 100% rate or all the money they earn in a year.

2011 Deficit ($1,295 billion)

New Revenue $574 (100% rate for the rich)

New 2011 deficit ($721 billion)

Sure...the left wants to just tax the richest few...but not much. The right has "tricks" to tax folks who are more or less "poverty line" but..can't get much. Wants MORE tricks so the rich...pay NOTHING.

The BEST thing...GET FREAKING PROSPEROUS ( how we'd done it in various times in history)

REAL economics...not that right wing scam garbage...then ..rather than folks getting food stamps...they pay tax.

The "plan A" was tax cuts for all but those making $250,000 ...after a lot of loopholes...and the LINE...should have been half that...with less loopholes...if you REALLY want to confront the debt..and obviously..that can got kicked WAY down the road when the line was $450,000. Once there's a lot of dodges, off-shore cash, tax free bonds and whatever...about 50 people see their tax go up.

The BEST thing...GET FREAKING PROSPEROUS ( how we'd done it in various times in history)

REAL economics...not that right wing scam garbage...then ..rather than folks getting food stamps...they pay tax.

If their economics can be wrong so can whatever you propose. Vigorous debate will ensue in congress and then nothing will get done because both sides like their own opinion.

That leaves us spending more than we take in. We are at the point where taking in enough to actually cover the spending is nigh impossible. Therefore some spending must be cut. There is room for more revenue through possibly higher taxes and lots of loophole closures, but spending must go down if we want to fix the debt.

Do you have any comment on how to achieve that other than "get prosperous?"

"however the average american has the attention span of a lemming, and the long term memory of a goldfish" An unfortunate truth. At some point these poor & middle class (what's left of it) Republicans need to wake up and smell the coffee. They are voting against their own interests. They can protect Donald Trump's bank account but then they will have to pay what he won't. Not much common sense there.

whatsa lemming? The goldfish thing was funny. haha.

I'm tired of the wars we are fighting in places we do not need to be and the blowback of our involvement.

I'm throwing Rand Paul in there. :)

Also, I think it is good to not have a super majority either way (liberal or conservative). Some of you cringe at the deadlock in congress, but I say it isn't always good to have consensus when building government. I actually wish it were more balanced between Democrats, Republicans, and Libertarians (which has a foot in each of the non-totalitarian segments of the R/D parties).

"Without debate, without criticism, no administration and no country can succeed -- and no republic can survive." - John F. Kennedy

It doesn't really matter until 2020. The districts are all gerrymandered to keep incumbents in office and minimize competitive races, so that flavour A and flavour B can channel all of their resources into a small handful of actually competitive races. 2020 is when the next census will be, and thus when congressional districts will next be redrawn, so that's the next time any of these 'elections' will actually matter. Feel free to hit the snooze button until then.

Honestly, 2014 anyway, hinges largely on the gun control issue. Historically speaking, support for new gun control is still at one of the lowest points ever among the public. Additionally, historically speaking, any time politicians support or propose gun control measures, they suffer for it. IF the Democrats intend to mantain any semblance of control, they will not press the issue. Though it may be a little too late at this point for some. But if anything ever comes to a vote, you can bet it will not be forgotten come election time and the Rebulicans will have more than enough dirt to throw to easily secure a victory.

Being president is a huge stress. Just look at pictures of a president when first going into office and when they are leaving. Obama, Bush, Clinton, any of them. However I don't think Hillary's health will be an issue. She's stepping down from her position and unless she's starting another big job I haven't heard about, will have 4 years to lay the ground work for her next campaign. Remember, she came close to winning the election against President Obama. If I was the GOP I'd be afraid of Hillary too. She's smart, likeable and has a lot of experience. And she has a not-so-secret but effective weapon: Bill Clinton. I like Hillary. But I'm still going to be a dreamer and say Bernie Sanders. :)

I agree with this assessment of Hillary. If these next few years are spent reinvigorating her health, she will be a formidable, if not impossible, opponent for the rethugs to overcome. And it will be amusing watching the forum right wingnuts shift from racial bigotry to misogyny.

Bernie Sanders would be nice, but what are his chances realistically? He'd almost have to start campaigning now to increase his familiarity and name recognition with the general public, don't you think?