Sign in to follow this  
Cadman

Will The Gop Cave On The Cliff ?

Now that Obama has won the election partly on the platform of raising taxes on the rich,

will Boehner and the boys 'n gals have to give it to raising taxes on the rich and 'just say no' to Norquist ???

Now that Obama has won the election partly on the platform of raising taxes on the rich,

will Boehner and the boys 'n gals have to give it to raising taxes on the rich and 'just say no' to Norquist ???

Some already have apparently. I wish they would just tell Norquist, "Shove it, I prefer to save the country." It helps liberals and America because the rich finally get taxed at a level closer to what they should be taxed at and it helps those Republicans look good by showing they can put the country first. What's the hold up?

Some already have apparently. I wish they would just tell Norquist, "Shove it, I prefer to save the country." It helps liberals and America because the rich finally get taxed at a level closer to what they should be taxed at and it helps those Republicans look good by showing they can put the country first. What's the hold up?

Yes I prefer they would act like that, but they are an unreasonable bunch.....

Its beyond me why we don't just do it YAH's WAY - at the end of every 49 years, declare a Year Of Jubilee for the 50th year, and take a whole year to party in the 50th year.

Obama has the power to announce a Year Of Jubilee, The American Dollar is the worlds reserve currency.

JUST REMEMBER TO PARTY FOR ALL OF 2013. THEN ITS BACK TO THE HUSTLE, AND IN 50 YEARS YOU'LL HAVE SCREWED IT UP AGAIN AND BE READY FOR ANOTHER JUBILEE.

WHY CRASH? WHY SUFFER NEEDLESSLY? WHY NOT DO IT THE YAH WAY?

Yes I prefer they would act like that, but they are an unreasonable bunch.....

Yeah, when I wrote that reply I was pretending they actually had a little common sense.

Its beyond me why we don't just do it YAH's WAY - at the end of every 49 years, declare a Year Of Jubilee for the 50th year, and take a whole year to party in the 50th year.

Obama has the power to announce a Year Of Jubilee, The American Dollar is the worlds reserve currency.

JUST REMEMBER TO PARTY FOR ALL OF 2013. THEN ITS BACK TO THE HUSTLE, AND IN 50 YEARS YOU'LL HAVE SCREWED IT UP AGAIN AND BE READY FOR ANOTHER JUBILEE.

WHY CRASH? WHY SUFFER NEEDLESSLY? WHY NOT DO IT THE YAH WAY?

Well okay, but if we're doing this then I'm moving to Colorado for the year! (they legalized recreational weed) :lol:

I fully beleive that the GOP is not going to cave.

"you dont know the POWER of the dark side...I MUST obey my master"

- Darth Vader, Return of the Jedi

they must obey Darth Grover...they will let the tax cuts expire, then pass new tax cuts for middle class....and then take credit for the whole thing.

also they can still say "I never voted to raise taxes" so their corporate bosses will not cut them off completely next election

Edited by lostphoenix

Enough may turn to stop us doing a Thelma & Louise. But they have not been logical for years. When their strategy fails they always double down on the very thing that caused their failure. And so they lose again. This time they`ve tried to damage the economy so they could claim Obama failed. The country saw their plan and re-elcted him and they lost seats. If we go over the cliff they will comfort themselves by screaming "see what Obama`s done!". But America knows and America will give back clear, filibuster proof majorities to democrats in 2014. They can hurt America but they can destroy themselves.

Enough may turn to stop us doing a Thelma & Louise. But they have not been logical for years. When their strategy fails they always double down on the very thing that caused their failure. And so they lose again. This time they`ve tried to damage the economy so they could claim Obama failed. The country saw their plan and re-elcted him and they lost seats. If we go over the cliff they will comfort themselves by screaming "see what Obama`s done!". But America knows and America will give back clear, filibuster proof majorities to democrats in 2014. They can hurt America but they can destroy themselves.

I would not want to be John Boehner right now. His party lost the election, and his party is entering a Civil War. Clearly, Boehner's main goal is to hang on to his speakership this January, and he needs the Tea Party to do it. At the same time Moderate Republicans are moving toward taking over the party from the cons. Some conservatives like Jim DeMint have already run for the life boats. DeMint resigned his seat in the U. S. Senate to become President of the Heritage Foundation. This is an unheard of move for a sitting U. S. Senator. DeMInt is no fool, he knows he has a target on his back for reeletion in 2014. Of course the one Democrats really want to defeat is Mitch McConnell who is up for reelection in 2014 also.

mitch-mcconnell-make-obama-one-term-pres

I am done giving observations about who will win and who will lose on major issues. Republicans and Fox News have been living in their own bubble of "make believe American politics." On November 6 that bubble burst. Republicans did not just lose an election, their party is seriously broken. As Ed Schultz said. "If Republicans truly believe that America agrees with them, why have they been so active in voter suppression and union busting? The Republican Party will either move toward their few remaining moderates, or self-destruct. Again, sit back and enjoy the show!

Edited by Dale Dane

Apparently Boehner finally offered a plan that put wealthy tax raises on the table in return for major cuts in entitlement programs. Obama rejected this first offer. It's a sign that Boehner and the Republicans know they're in trouble.

Apparently Boehner finally offered a plan that put wealthy tax raises on the table in return for major cuts in entitlement programs. Obama rejected this first offer. It's a sign that Boehner and the Republicans know they're in trouble.

Thank you for this post. Often I feel I am the only one in this forum who actually watches and reads real news!

voc_ling_abbr_g_gop_car_gop_collapse.jpg

The Sequester stuff kicks in automatically if nothing gets done. High income taxes go up and the GOP-regressives can't do anything to block that. The Dems will propose a fresh tax break for the 90%+....and DARE the GOPs to block that. And they will put it up again and again...so the GOPs will have to expose their Hypocrisy if they want to fight such a ill chosen battle.

Big cuts kick in and biggest is the Defense budget cuts...which the Repubs don't like. I'd be offering some deal that restores some Defense $...but DOES also enact the jobs bill that was on the table. To offset that...cut some of the worst loopholes..such as Oil Depletion Allowance...which is pure pork. The Dems and the Pres...have the LEVERAGE. The Repub-Teas risk getting EXPOSED if they want to throw most of taxpayers under the but in a desperate Class Warfare last stand.

Us going "over the cliff" really is not a true image. As some point out...it's more a slope. Things do not immediately crumble,though I'd guess the market will over-react a bit. The Wall St stuff is not REALLY the economy ...it's more like a symptom. We could roll with the sequester stuff...as-is...for 6 months...then do the sensible repairs and the outcome would be that we could end up better then,than if we accept a bad compromise right now.

Yes..we do need to deal with the Debt,and we do need more revenue,an efficent budget. However...MOSTLY...we need PROSPERITY. Having incomes just over $1 mill go back to Clinton era rates does NOT generate near enough revenue. Actually...$250,000 probably is drawing the line a bit high,. I'd PREFER a line about $150,000,with a Job targeted stimulus...one well targeted to use the $ very directly to create work,to employ those NOT working.

The USA has to be looking HARD at the rather screwed up trade deals we've done. China is the most obvious case.

The core thing is that goods we EXPORT get taxed at 25% on the Chinese end...and goods we IMPORT get taxed just 2.5%. Not only not equal...but a 10-1 inequality. Thus...if China LIKES some American item (Like Caterpiller bulldozers) rather than import bulldozers...they import a whole FACTORY. That may be $$ for Caterpillar Execs,stockowners but it's LESS jobs here. Multiply that by MANY..all the other "outsouce" joba and it's a very big deal.

Apologists say we can't fix past mistakes...it would cause a "trade war"...uh....we've BEEN in a trade war damn near 20 yr..not fighting back, getting beat up. Us deciding to level the playing field ...would still leave China needing to make and sell goods in the USA. However...a US policy based on PARITY...would increase the price of a "made in China" item...and in time..make it again viable to produce goods in the USA for OUR use. Our will to get a FAIR and EVEN deal....also gives China INCENTIVE to quit scamming us. We can't sell our souls just to save $30 on a damn i-Phone. An i-Phone ain't relevant if you lost your job.

Thank you for this post. Often I feel I am the only one in this forum who actually watches and reads real news!

voc_ling_abbr_g_gop_car_gop_collapse.jpg

Yes...the GOP has painted themselves into a small corner...and having gone full tilt toward "irrational" face the difficult task of housebreaking their own core/base so they can consider some COMMON SENSE for a change.

If your whole agenda is some loot + plunder con game...and your marks are gettin' wise to the scam...you need to clean up your act or run away. So far...the GOP is acting like a bunch of dummies on Meth. They are paranoid and noisy but too damn dumb to be able to do the right thing.

They are betting that in 2014...dirty tricks,democracy prevention,massive secretive $ will let them get away with an agenda that SHAFTS 90% of the people.....and really is not good for the other 10%.

Yes...the GOP has painted themselves into a small corner...and having gone full tilt toward "irrational" face the difficult task of housebreaking their own core/base so they can consider some COMMON SENSE for a change.

If your whole agenda is some loot + plunder con game...and your marks are gettin' wise to the scam...you need to clean up your act or run away. So far...the GOP is acting like a bunch of dummies on Meth. They are paranoid and noisy but too damn dumb to be able to do the right thing.

They are betting that in 2014...dirty tricks,democracy prevention,massive secretive $ will let them get away with an agenda that SHAFTS 90% of the people.....and really is not good for the other 10%.

Touche.gif

Well it's getting pretty close, will they cave ???

Or cave after the New Year ???

The congressional approval rating, if you can call it that, is around 18%....

70% of Americans think that the GOP is doing a lousy job, must be a lot of conservatives in the mix.....

The T party folks at least have nuts. You, you take the disadvantaged folks, disadvantaged in the sense that they are easily led astray by misinformation... Well, the right did. Then they implanted them. But whose fault is that? 2010 came and went. But to me it was a dark disgusting sign that we learned little from 8 long years of Bush II.

BTW - there's a lot of weak democrats that disgust me just the same. On a different topic, I support ex-republican senator Chuck Hagel for Dept of Defense.

Will they fold on the fiscal bull - the truncated sequester which includes sun setting of all Bush II tax subsidies along with across the board cuts in Defense Spending - which they proposed only because they were so sure Obama would lose?

They are to proud to do that. They are too stupid proud to do that. I knew that much when they first started up with their bellicose nonsense. The nerve of them calling themselves the T Party --- holy shit!

Peace!

No.

"makes sense" means less to those fools than it means to a Goldfish.

However..once "over the cliff" the GOP tools can't do a THING about keeping Tax on the RICH from going up. POLITICALLY they GOPPYS then don't DARE oppose returning some tax break to most Americans,. They ALREADY lost on the class warfare scam.

Repubs HATE that the Pentagon budget got whacked....Oh...so sad...lets deal. We want Unemployment restored and we want that JOBS bill. I know a bridge over the Ohio River that needs to be built. Deal is...y'all act grown up and ya won't get spanked. Piss us off..and we WILL make you sorry. Get it?

You can't treat those brats like adults,because they AIN'T adults. Some ain't yet potty trained.