Sign in to follow this  
Loud Liberal

My Solution!

This is a solution that I have advocated since 2008:

A Medicare public option, in which every American could buy-in to Medicare by paying their premiums to Medicare rather than paying premiums for Wall Street Care, would provide the following benefits to America:

1. It would instantly make medical insurance affordable to a significant number of the currently 50 million uninsured Americans who can't afford Wall Street Care premiums. The total administrative cost and profit of Wall Street Care adds about 45% to the cost of benefits paid to providers for care. The total administrative cost of Medicare adds about 2-3% to the cost of benefits paid to providers for care. Medicare premiums would be at least 40% lower than (less than 2/3 of), Wall Street Care premiums.

2. It would instantly eliminate all of the abuses and bad faith of Wall Street Care without having to promulgate a single word of regulation. If Wall Street Care can't compete with Medicare, medical consumers can drop Wall Street Care and opt for Medicare.

3. If only half of all Americans who currently pay Wall Street Care premiums switched to Medicare, it would result in a national savings – and an economic stimulus - of approximately $500 billion per year, every year, forever.

4. Medicare, being the largest medical insurance carrier, would be better able to assert downward pressure on the out-of-control cost of medical care.

5. It would cost taxpayers a grand total of "ZERO."

I would have thought this would induce quite a discussion/debate. I guess not.

i'm surprised it didn't. generally this part of the forum is just booming with traffic. not sure

what's up with it this week.

I'm as liberal as they come, but I can't say that I support socialized medicine on that scale.

You're as liberal as it gets except that you support the most far, right-wing, extremist, medieval, conservatism in the World - Arab, Islamist, fundamentalist, jihadi, terrorism.

In any event, this has nothing to do with socialized medicine. It is a rational solution to, yet, another example of free market failure.

Edited by Loud Liberal

Dear Poster,

Firstly, you should check my post (20below - what should health be for americans), I can try my best to explain some reasons why your solution may not work, medicare provides to those in need of insurance that can't afford it. The medicare system is in turmoil, because there are so many medicare holders who all need some form of treatment and there payments are not enough to cover themselves. The government is in a tangled system where it is paying for the treatment of millions who are not contributing enough in the form of payments to cover the actual cost of its holders treatments.

They are now making stipulations in medicare that see maximum amounts for treatments - meaning that a hospital is only allowed to charge a maximum amount for a treatment - meaning that if they agree to take on medicare patients, they may lose money. They are also making stipulations to medicare about how many more people can join, because it is already a failing system that cost taxpayers to much money. * To solve these problems they are looking into the amount of incomes that qualify you for medicare and are trying to weed people into private care instead of medicare, and making insurance manditory, as well as, having all companies provide some form of insurance for there employees.

I understand your point that if people all paid into medicare then (if they can afford it with the current insurance system) there would be enough money. But what you don't understand is that the American government has decided they do not want to control and regulate the entire system. In my post topic I explain how if we had 'Primary Insurance Providers' in which the entire state pays into it would be more easily affordable and easier to regulate, as well as, be more open in contracts towards what people need treatment for. The health care system the way it is, is not correct, and something that is not correct - most deffinetly has a right answer and needs fixing ( I go on in detail in my post ).

In closing, the governemnt does not want to be in total control of its citizens health care, and everyone being on medicare would not work, it would cost trillions to cover everyone for there medical needs - but providing essential health care through manditory and regulated 'Primary Insurance Providers' would be a fiesable option. The medicare system is already losing and adding more people to it is not the answer.

Thanks for your time

I firmly believe in socialized healthcare. Your theory on Medicare v. WSC is very very interesting and would be nice if it were that way. I had thought of free healthcare before, but higher tax on everything else seems a bit over the top. The theory that you have presented would be a wonderful alternative to the "reform" of the past fourteen years. It's affordable yet won't break the bank of corporate America. I think that your idea is a very good one except there are a few minor flaws: Paper bog, in other words so many Americans are under Medicare that they can barely keep afloat now. Imagine 300 million cases of discount labor...it doesn't end well.; Doctors on strike, interesting enough your idea of a socialized health insurance reform has been done before in Romania. Romania's healthcare has recently fallen off the wagon and is pretty much extinct, the people can't afford the healthcare due to rapid inflation of more money in the pockets of Romanians and as a domino effect, the doctors cannot afford to take care of the people because they can't afford to get the insurance against malpractice, etc. The fact of the matter is that the only way for healthcare to be both affordable and beneficial is to put free healthcare into effect. If you slice it, hospitals and their staff should be basically treated like a police department and it's officers. You up the tax and they get paid a base salary, this of course has only one flaw: the ones who can't afford healthcare at this point would not be able to pay the taxes necessary to fund this. And that is where welfare comes in. This ideal of a standard govt. salary for medical would benefit all and would still pad the pockets of the corporate giants, beings as to how they get more funds off the taxes and still make a 12% profit off of it. So in saying that, there would be no congressmen able to say 'no' to this, except the ones who thrive off of insurance costs, but let's face it; they're little more than Italian mob extortionists in a $3000 suit and an American flag draped around their shoulders. The gist of it is that money runs America way too much, and this is coming from a broker...