dtiertant

We Must Undo Recent Changes To The Filibuster

Hello friends,

I had always prided myself on being independently minded, but the 2000 election tipped me over the edge, and now here I am.

We hear the same complaint from Americans all across the country; indeed, all around the world. Our government is broken. It's so broken, in fact, that virtually no legislation is able to pass, much less come up for a vote in the Senate. There are a number of things that can be done to reduce gridlock in Washington, and one of those things is to change the Senate filibuster rules back to the way they were. If you wanted to delay or even cancel a vote from coming up, you'd have to stand up and talk until you fell asleep on the Senate floor. Now, all that is required is a phone call. Today's gridlock on Capitol Hill is the single most important problem we have ever faced as a nation. If we can't fix this, we can't fix anything else.

We need to return some dignity to our Congress and restore faith in how our government works. With their approval rating today, they could use a little help.

It's a small step, but I've created a petition on WhiteHouse.gov to restore the old Senate filibuster rules. This has always been the minority party's most potent weapon. Balance is a good thing; childish hatred is not acceptable behavior by our elected officials. The horrendous abuse of the new filibuster rules that we have seen in the past couple of years has got to come to a stop.

Please join me in petitioning for our political system to start down the road back to normalcy. We need 150 signatures to make this viewable by the general public:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/revert-previous-senate-filibuster-rules-weaken-harmful-obstruction-our-legislative-process/ZdJQWzqT

Come on, folks. There's a lot that needs to be done, so we may as well get started.

Thank you!