Sign in to follow this  
RobCooperX

Britcoms

Okay, this isn't really political so sorry people, but the morons in the other rooms can't handle anything like adults so I'm posting this here.

I have fallen into an unhealthy obsession with British sitcoms, well really any British comedy shows. It actually started with Ricky Gervais and The Ricky Gervais Show, which got me to check out The Office (the original british version) and Life's Too Short.

Also PBS shows a few like Keeping Up Appearances, The Worst Week Of My Life & Outnumbered (which is another personal favorite) they also show another one Are You Being Served, but I don't care as much for it.

So does anyone have any suggestions for some other good ones I might try out? Please, feed my addiction! ;)

If I was posting this in the NHB I would get responses like this from some CONS: "What's wrong with Gun Smoke?! If you can't stick to Amuuurican television then get the hell out of this country!" :rolleyes:

Okay, this isn't really political so sorry people, but the morons in the other rooms can't handle anything like adults so I'm posting this here.

I have fallen into an unhealthy obsession with British sitcoms, well really any British comedy shows. It actually started with Ricky Gervais and The Ricky Gervais Show, which got me to check out The Office (the original british version) and Life's Too Short.

Also PBS shows a few like Keeping Up Appearances, The Worst Week Of My Life & Outnumbered (which is another personal favorite) they also show another one Are You Being Served, but I don't care as much for it.

So does anyone have any suggestions for some other good ones I might try out? Please, feed my addiction! ;)

If I was posting this in the NHB I would get responses like this from some CONS: "What's wrong with Gun Smoke?! If you can't stick to Amuuurican television then get the hell out of this country!" :rolleyes:

Well I am assuming you have seen the older stuff like Dad's Army, To The Manor Born, Keeping Up Appearances and Fawlty Towers but if you haven't watch them. More recent things though I don't think have been so good. I take it you are aware that all the BBC's radio output is available internationally free at bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio

Well I am assuming you have seen the older stuff like Dad's Army, To The Manor Born, Keeping Up Appearances and Fawlty Towers but if you haven't watch them. More recent things though I don't think have been so good. I take it you are aware that all the BBC's radio output is available internationally free at bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio

Not as much as you would think actually. Set aside the work of Ricky Gervaise, I've only started watching these shows recently. Though I do really like Keeping Up Appearances. Thank you :)

Not as much as you would think actually. Set aside the work of Ricky Gervais, I've only started watching these shows recently. Though I do really like Keeping Up Appearances. Thank you :)

I watch British detective shows--LOVE them!

Hmm, haven't seen any but I may have to check this out. Thanks Gaily! :)

Edited by RobCooperX

There are some great British detective shows on netflix.

The Last Detective

Luther

Uhhhhh...of course I can't think of any of the titles of others...check out netflix, though!

:wub:

The Last Detective

Luther

Uhhhhh...of course I can't think of any of the titles of others...check out netflix, though!

:wub:

Okay addin those to my list :) It's okay, I could be thinking of a movie or show title all day but the second I'm asked my mind goes blank! :lol:

Check out the Alan Partridge series by Steven Coogan. They are really funny :)

Okay, will do :) Thanks!

Try 'Last of The Summer Wine;. WARNING -- you will be hooked on it for sure.

Will do. That's the kind of warning I like to hear! Thanks

Good Neighbors, To The Manor Born and Butterflies were my favorites before Texas started its war on Public TV. There was a really hilarious one about a newsroom called Drop the Dead Donkey. And one who`s title won`t come to mind about a lady vicar of the Anglican Church in a small village. This one always ended with a hilarious joke told to her dingbat girl freind over sherry. Like: A pretty nun takes her clothes off and gets in the bath just as she hears a knock on the door. "Who is it" she asks. "blind man" comes the answer. She thinks about it, "Alright come in", a man walks in,"Nice tits" he says "Where do you want me to hang these blinds?"

Good Neighbors, To The Manor Born and Butterflies were my favorites before Texas started its war on Public TV. There was a really hilarious one about a newsroom called Drop the Dead Donkey. And one who`s title won`t come to mind about a lady vicar of the Anglican Church in a small village. This one always ended with a hilarious joke told to her dingbat girl freind over sherry. Like: A pretty nun takes her clothes off and gets in the bath just as she hears a knock on the door. "Who is it" she asks. "blind man" comes the answer. She thinks about it, "Alright come in", a man walks in,"Nice tits" he says "Where do you want me to hang these blinds?"

Thanks added to the list. Yeah, if Romney wins I guess I can kiss my PBS Britcoms goodbye. That joke was great though :lol:

Benny Hill? :D :D :D

I always loved that dry British sense of humor. Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Monty Python, especially Black Adder. "It's my dream turnip"

Trollied, red dwarf, coupling, black books, black adder...I know I am forgetting some

So does anyone have any suggestions for some other good ones I might try out? Please, feed my addiction! ;)/>/>

If I was posting this in the NHB I would get responses like this from some CONS: "What's wrong with Gun Smoke?! If you can't stick to Amuuurican television then get the hell out of this country!" :rolleyes:/>/>

I tend not to watch TV...too many commercials.

but back when I did I loved the show red dwarf. its sorta a sci fi parody...its been canceled for years now but I am sure you could find them if you look

Edited by lostphoenix

...its been canceled for years now but I am sure you could find them if you look

Yeah, that's the hard part. The only store close to me that sells British movies/tv shows doesn't have very many. And none of these except for The Office & The Ricky Gervais Show. But I'll keep lookin!

Absolutely Fabulous! It is funny but also fitting for non-materialist liberals as the lead characters are blatantly excessive, shallow & selfish. Meanwhile the daughter Saffy is intelligent, sincere, down to earth & progressive. There are old episodes from the 90s , more from the early 2000's & every now & then they make a couple of new ones or a special.

Thank you MotherJonses and Kontrary for your suggestions. Appreciated :)/>

BTW there is a new one just out called Full English...its animated and its quite funny. So far only two episodes are out and I watched both last night....you gotta see it for yourself! I will never hear the words "slap it" again in quite the same way! hahaha.

Yeah, that's the hard part. The only store close to me that sells British movies/tv shows doesn't have very many. And none of these except for The Office & The Ricky Gervais Show. But I'll keep lookin!

You can download from Piratebay...I doubt any of the folks who put out those shows are trying to track down people who download them.

The Last Detective

Luther

:wub:/>

Those 2 series were terrific. Some others favs from the recent past:

A Touch of Frost, Inspector Morse, Cracker (ok, these 3 are not that recent)

Inspector Lewis (spinoff of Morse)

New Tricks (My personal favorite)

Dalziel (pronounced Dee Ell - go figure) and Pascoe

Judge John Deed

Inspector George Gently

Midsomer Murders

Murdoch Mysteries (actually Canadian)

Inspector Lynley

A Mind To Kill (Welsh)

George Gently

Lovejoy

Wycliffe

Murphy's Law (Irish)

Garrow's Law (set in 1790s London)

Waking the Dead

Jonathan Creek

The IT Crowd and Black Books are both on Netflix, and both are brilliant.

Black Books was excellent. I've never heard of the IT Crowd, but it looks interesting, especially since I was part of said IT crowd. It's available at my local library so I'll be watching season 1 very soon - thanks.