Sign in to follow this  
anniefey

Why Romney Is Avoiding Specifics On His Policy Ideas: No One Likes The

Why Romney Is Avoiding Specifics on His Policy Ideas: No One Likes Them

Jonathan Cohn

September 11, 2012 | 2:46 pm

Conservatives panicking over Mitt Romney’s poll numbers want him to talk about policy in more detail, particularly when it comes to health care. Nothing would please me more. But conservatives wishing for a more honest, substantive debate might want to look at a new survey out today. The results suggest that Republican positions on Medicare and perhaps even Obamacare are less popular than I realized.

The survey is the United Technologies/National Journal Congressional Connection Poll. Its most striking result is the primary question about Medicare reform. It asks respondents whether Medicare “should continue as it is today, with the government providing health insurance and paying doctors and hospitals directly” or whether it “should be changed to a system where the government provides seniors with a fixed sum of money they could use either to purchase private health insurance or to pay the cost of remaining in the current Medicare program.” The wording seems relatively straightforward and without terms designed to sway opinion one way or another. It says nothing about “vouchers,” for example, and it doesn’t raise the possibility that seniors might have to pay more if the system changes. But 67 percent of respondents said they preferred keeping Medicare as is, while only 26 percent said they favored the Republican reforms.

That result is consistent with other polling on the issue, as far as I know. It also makes intuitive sense, at least if you’ve ever spoken to anybody on Medicare. Policy experts, including some to the left of center, love to talk about the virtues of competition and supposed efficiency of the private insurance market. Sometimes they even make valid arguments: From a policy perspective, Medicare really does have some problems. But most seniors like Medicare just the way it is. It’s easy to use and covers pretty much every medical service they might need. Most important of all, they never have to worry it will disappear. Non-seniors can appreciate these things, too. Most of us also know what it’s like to choose from among private insurance plans and to deal with insurance company bureaucracies. That's not a lot of fun. And many of us understand what it's like to lose insurance or, at least, worry about losing it. That's not a lot of fun, either.

more: http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/107123/romney-avoiding-policy-detail-medicare-obamacare-polls#

I HAVE BEEN WRAPPED UP IN POLITICS SINCE THE AGE OF 17. I AM NOW 64+ AND I HAVE BEEN ON THE INSIDE OF BOTH PARTIES BECAUSE I KNOW PEOPLE ON BOTH SIDES.

ONE THING I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT MOST REPUBLICANS AND SOME DEMS HAVE ONLY ONE GOAL AND THAT IS TO LINE THEIR POCKETS WITH OUR MONEY AND TO HOLD ONTO THE POWER THAT COMES WITH THEIR POSITIONS.

AS I STATED BEFORE, THE DOWNFALL OF THIS COUNTRY WAS IN THE WORKS OVER 30 YEARS AGO. MOST PEOPLE DID NOT PAY ATTENTION.

PRESIDENT OBAMA HAS UPSET THE APPLE CART. HE HAS AND IS REFUSING TO PLAY THE GO-A-LONG TO GET-A-LONG GAME.

HE HAS NOT FORGOTTEN THE ROUGH ROAD HE AND OTHERS HAVE TRAVELED AND IS TRYING TO LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD.

I TALK TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS I CAN AND HAVE SIGNED UP PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THEIR LIVES.

THOSE IN POWER DID NOT THINK HE WOULD BE ELECTED, SO THEY DID NOT PAY ATTENTION UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE. NOW THEY KNOW HE IS A THREAT. LATER IF I HAVE TIME I WILL TELL YOU ABOUT WHY I THINK THE SPACE SHUTTLES ARE REALY DELIVERING SUPPLIES TO THAT PLATFORM OVER IN SPACE AND WHO I THINK IT REALLY IS FOR AND WHO SUPPLIED MOST OF THE GUNS AND ROCKETS THAT HAVE AND STILL ARE KILLING US. STAY TUNED.

What Romney doesn't want to tell people is that he wants to cancel ALL Social Security, NOW. I mean, this idea that he won't take it for at least a decade is about the silliest thing I think I've ever heard any pol say. "Oh, I want some money, but not now, ten years from now...RRRIIGGHHTTT, gimme a break willya? HOW is he going to reduce taxes to 25% AND finance his war in Iran without raiding Social Security NOW.