Sign in to follow this  
anniefey

We Need To Refute The Romney/ryan Lie About Medicare!

The Romney campaign is accusing President Obama of cutting Medicare by $700 billion in order to pay for "Obamacare," and has made that charge the centerpiece of a new ad. The basic claim: Obama stole the money seniors put into Medicare in order to give health care to other Americans.

Watch:

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/new-romney-ad-accuses-obama-of-cutting-medicare

REFUTE THE LIE WITH THIS GRAPHIC BELOW:

medicare-cuts-133.png

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we had universal healthcare in the US. Then the politicians could stop arguing about it and most importantly when we got sick we wouldn't have to be afraid to see a doctor. We wouldn't have to worry about how we were gonna pay the doctor bill. We wouldn't have to worry about rather or not our insurance companies would weasel their way out of paying for our cancer treatments. Hell, in France they doctors still do HOUSECALLS! Seriously.

Also any Republican that claims Christianity but does not support universal healthcare is a hypocrit. I may not be now, but I was raised Christian and I remember Jesus Christ HEALING THE SICK and HELPING THE POOR. Apparently I missed the Bible verse where Jesus denied a sick man because his insurance company wouldn't cover it and he was too poor to pay out of pocket! Face it, you're not Christ's followers, you're just fans. Try to be less Christian and more Christ-like!

Conservatives fight so hard against Universal Healthcare now, but I guarentee when/if this country ever got it a few years after they realized the people (voters) loved it they would claim it was their idea!

We have Merry Maids come in once a month to do some deep cleaning in our home--this week, one of the girls was stung by a bee as she got out of her car in front of the house. She had an allergic reaction to a sting earlier this summer and was terrified. Her heart was racing, pulse was elevated, and she said her arm was tingling.

When my husband and I said to forget about the cleaning--GO to the walk-in clinic, she said she couldn't--no insurance. So...we watched her closely and monitored her symptoms--she called her boss and was told to clean if she could. She felt okay enough to clean, but was still shaky when they left.

This isn't okay. It isn't okay for people to feel more afraid of a doctor's bill than an allergic reaction.

We have Merry Maids come in once a month to do some deep cleaning in our home--this week, one of the girls was stung by a bee as she got out of her car in front of the house. She had an allergic reaction to a sting earlier this summer and was terrified. Her heart was racing, pulse was elevated, and she said her arm was tingling.

When my husband and I said to forget about the cleaning--GO to the walk-in clinic, she said she couldn't--no insurance. So...we watched her closely and monitored her symptoms--she called her boss and was told to clean if she could. She felt okay enough to clean, but was still shaky when they left.

This isn't okay. It isn't okay for people to feel more afraid of a doctor's bill than an allergic reaction.

That's so sad :( How anyone that works at an insurance company can sleep at night is beyond me.

I have a somewhat similar story. I was back at home one time helping my dad clear some stuff out of a field. He picked up a board off the ground and was stung by a scorpian. At first I was a little suprised because even though I knew that some scorpians did live where we live I had actually never seen one. So it's a rare occurance. Anyway we call the hospital and they say that he needs to come in as soon as he possibly can. That worries him a bit and the lady on the phone says that they will start a file on him over the phone so they didn't have to do it when that got there (because paperwork is so much more important that health). She asked his name and another question or 2. Then she asked who he had health insurance with. And I swear to you as soon as he told her he did have insurance her respone was that the doctor wasn't interested in seeing him then. She said not to bother coming in unless his health got really bad and it was an emergency. Well it sure seemed like a freakin emergency when she thought he had insurance! That is our sad, pathetic healthcare system.

Luckily he was okay other than feeling a bit sick for awhile.

That's so sad :( How anyone that works at an insurance company can sleep at night is beyond me.

I have a somewhat similar story. I was back at home one time helping my dad clear some stuff out of a field. He picked up a board off the ground and was stung by a scorpian. At first I was a little suprised because even though I knew that some scorpians did live where we live I had actually never seen one. So it's a rare occurance. Anyway we call the hospital and they say that he needs to come in as soon as he possibly can. That worries him a bit and the lady on the phone says that they will start a file on him over the phone so they didn't have to do it when that got there (because paperwork is so much more important that health). She asked his name and another question or 2. Then she asked who he had health insurance with. And I swear to you as soon as he told her he did have insurance her respone was that the doctor wasn't interested in seeing him then. She said not to bother coming in unless his health got really bad and it was an emergency. Well it sure seemed like a freakin emergency when she thought he had insurance! That is our sad, pathetic healthcare system.

Luckily he was okay other than feeling a bit sick for awhile.

Wow.

The lack of insurance--or enough coverage--is a HUGE problem. I am so blessed to have decent health insurance--I have one son who has none, and another who works for the State, so he and his kids are covered--but he pays a LOT every month to provide that coverage.

I'm so glad your father is okay. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be the person who has to say, "Well, the doctor can't see you..."

I''m new to the board; this is my second post. I just read the hysterically funny notice from Great Britain and the jpainful truth was this:

Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated sometime next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

Americans really don't pay attention to what is really happening. If they did, they could not even consider voting for Mitt or any other R who openly states they want to take your money and give it to their 1% cronies.

Its not rocket surgery but the average rw voter really does not GET IT. Unless and until they turn of fox and lushbo, they will not ever get it. In the meantime, they're cheerfully giving up their own future and the futures of their children and grand children.

I had a minor surgical procedure a week ago today. I thought it was looking inflamed and my surgeon was in surgery so I went to urgent care. We have health insurance but while registering, a young woman came to the counter and asked how much it would cost to be seen. The amount was $250. The woman grimaced, said she didn't have it and left.

In contrast, we went to France and Belgium. The night before we were to fly home, I got a severe ear infection and couldn't drive. We went first to an ER. Everyone spoke English, they were very cordial but said that what I needed was Urgent Care and directed me two doors down. When we walked in, the young man behind the counter gave me the usual forms to fill out and immediately took me to see the doctor. He examined me, gave me a scrip and directed me to the pharmacy.

A few days later, the airline called at about 7PM to tell us we had to have a letter from that doctor saying it was safe for me to fly the next day. He wasn't at Urgent Care that evening and I had no hope of being seen by him. But, he answered his own office phone and told me he was giving a medical paper on the other side of the city of Brussels at 8PM but for me to come right away.

He opened his door, saw us, examined me and gave me another scrip. He then called a cab for us, told the cabby where an open pharmacy was and even directed him to an Indian restaurant because we said we wanted to eat Indian that night!

The total cost for two doctor visits, two prescriptions and two OTC medications was less than $150USD. We sere seen immediately, no waiting, very cordial and helpful people. When I asked what would have happened if we had not had the money to pay, we were kind of stared at because its such an alien concept to them. We were told the treatment would have been exactly the same. One person looked kind of uncomfortable but finally said they could not understand why the US does not take care of their own citizens.

Why is it okay for congress members to have the caliber of health care, paid for by the tax payer, but not okay for us peons to have it? The Rs work to keep it from us but I don't see any of them refusing it.

And, I remember the teepotter who was elected on the promise of jobs and who threw a fit because his free health care would not go into effect for a month.

Sorry for this being so long.

I had a minor surgical procedure a week ago today. I thought it was looking inflamed and my surgeon was in surgery so I went to urgent care. We have health insurance but while registering, a young woman came to the counter and asked how much it would cost to be seen. The amount was $250. The woman grimaced, said she didn't have it and left.

In contrast, we went to France and Belgium. The night before we were to fly home, I got a severe ear infection and couldn't drive. We went first to an ER. Everyone spoke English, they were very cordial but said that what I needed was Urgent Care and directed me two doors down. When we walked in, the young man behind the counter gave me the usual forms to fill out and immediately took me to see the doctor. He examined me, gave me a scrip and directed me to the pharmacy.

A few days later, the airline called at about 7PM to tell us we had to have a letter from that doctor saying it was safe for me to fly the next day. He wasn't at Urgent Care that evening and I had no hope of being seen by him. But, he answered his own office phone and told me he was giving a medical paper on the other side of the city of Brussels at 8PM but for me to come right away.

He opened his door, saw us, examined me and gave me another scrip. He then called a cab for us, told the cabby where an open pharmacy was and even directed him to an Indian restaurant because we said we wanted to eat Indian that night!

The total cost for two doctor visits, two prescriptions and two OTC medications was less than $150USD. We sere seen immediately, no waiting, very cordial and helpful people. When I asked what would have happened if we had not had the money to pay, we were kind of stared at because its such an alien concept to them. We were told the treatment would have been exactly the same. One person looked kind of uncomfortable but finally said they could not understand why the US does not take care of their own citizens.

Why is it okay for congress members to have the caliber of health care, paid for by the tax payer, but not okay for us peons to have it? The Rs work to keep it from us but I don't see any of them refusing it.

And, I remember the teepotter who was elected on the promise of jobs and who threw a fit because his free health care would not go into effect for a month.

You asked the BEST question. Why, indeed?

Hey I don't mind it being long when it all makes sense! The sad thing is that we aren't living in some dirt poor 3rd world country where this kind of healthcare is only something we can dream about. We live in the US where we COULD have it and have it very quickly. Hell, if it's the fear of not being able to pull it off then let's have the Canadians run it for us. They're close and friendly and their system works. Or how about we use France where a working mother can have the government send in a nanny to care for her child and do laundrey and cook dinner and clean for when she is ready to return to work. It's sad that you or I would be better off getting sick in Cuba than in the US.

How can we call ourselves the greatest country in the world when we don't do something as basic as take care of our sick, poor and elderly? It's simple, we can't.

If you are in congress and you oppose universal healthcare than you MUST give up your government run healthcare. Especially when most of them are so filthy rich anyway that they don't need it!

I can't remember the guy's name right now, but most Canadians hold the guy who introduced universal healthcare in Canada as their #1 national hero. That should say something right there.

Wow.

The lack of insurance--or enough coverage--is a HUGE problem. I am so blessed to have decent health insurance--I have one son who has none, and another who works for the State, so he and his kids are covered--but he pays a LOT every month to provide that coverage.

I'm so glad your father is okay. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be the person who has to say, "Well, the doctor can't see you..."

Unfortunatly, like the first son you mentioned, I do not have health insurance. I'm glad you and your other son do but the sad part is if you got very ill with cancer or something (which would make many of us cry, by the way) your insurance company will most likely try to get out of helping you. They have lawyers whose entire job is to find loopholes to get out of paying. One time they got out of helping a girl because she was supposed to list pre-existing conditions and they found out she had a yeast infection many years before that and since she didn't write it down they said she lied. She said that she didn't even think about that! It was years ago and had cleared up, no big deal. This is the kind of scam they run.

Thank you. Ironically I told you this story and then tonight he was bitten by a bat! I know it's starting to sound like we live in the wilderness. He seems fine and I looked up what to do and it said to run water over the bite for 10 minutes. I said I would go there and drive him to the hospital, but this time he refused to even call. He said, "What the hell is the point. Just like last time as soon as I tell them I don't have insurance they won't see me." And guess what, he's a Republican. He used to not believe me when he heard me talking about the healthcare system in this country (he's not very political anyway) but now he agrees. I guess it's easy to think our system is okay until it bites you in the ass.

Unfortunatly, like the first son you mentioned, I do not have health insurance. I'm glad you and your other son do but the sad part is if you got very ill with cancer or something (which would make many of us cry, by the way) your insurance company will most likely try to get out of helping you. They have lawyers whose entire job is to find loopholes to get out of paying. One time they got out of helping a girl because she was supposed to list pre-existing conditions and they found out she had a yeast infection many years before that and since she didn't write it down they said she lied. She said that she didn't even think about that! It was years ago and had cleared up, no big deal. This is the kind of scam they run.

Thank you. Ironically I told you this story and then tonight he was bitten by a bat! I know it's starting to sound like we live in the wilderness. He seems fine and I looked up what to do and it said to run water over the bite for 10 minutes. I said I would go there and drive him to the hospital, but this time he refused to even call. He said, "What the hell is the point. Just like last time as soon as I tell them I don't have insurance they won't see me." And guess what, he's a Republican. He used to not believe me when he heard me talking about the healthcare system in this country (he's not very political anyway) but now he agrees. I guess it's easy to think our system is okay until it bites you in the ass.

Uh, no offense, but I don't want to be standing near your father...ever. LOL!

I hope the bat wasn't rabid...make sure he stays on top of that bite.

About cancer--I have a cancer insurance policy--a lesson learned from my darling mother who died from bladder cancer. Had she not taken out a cancer policy on herself, my parents would have ended up with nothing when she was diagnosed. Brilliant woman, my mother. I also have a disability policy. I think I'm well-covered, but as we all know, when push comes to shove, what do I really have?

Uh, no offense, but I don't want to be standing near your father...ever. LOL!

I hope the bat wasn't rabid...make sure he stays on top of that bite.

About cancer--I have a cancer insurance policy--a lesson learned from my darling mother who died from bladder cancer. Had she not taken out a cancer policy on herself, my parents would have ended up with nothing when she was diagnosed. Brilliant woman, my mother. I also have a disability policy. I think I'm well-covered, but as we all know, when push comes to shove, what do I really have?

:lol: No offense taken. Trust me, there's a list of stuff like this that has happened to him.

I hope it wasn't too. I looked it up and apparently only around 5% of tested bats have rabies. And many of those get tested because they are sick to begin with so it is estimated that only around 1% of bats have rabies. He said he had to get rabies shots before, back when they were injected into the stomache. Said it was very painful and left him so delerious he walked into a busy street and was almost hit by a car.

I'm sorry about your mother. I know that's a hard thing to go through and I'm glad you have the cancer insurance policy but...I don't know. I have absolutely no trust in these companies and if they wanted to pursue it I'm afraid they could probably still get out of the deal.

My hope is that you never have to find out if you're well covered or not.

:lol: No offense taken. Trust me, there's a list of stuff like this that has happened to him.

I hope it wasn't too. I looked it up and apparently only around 5% of tested bats have rabies. And many of those get tested because they are sick to begin with so it is estimated that only around 1% of bats have rabies. He said he had to get rabies shots before, back when they were injected into the stomache. Said it was very painful and left him so delerious he walked into a busy street and was almost hit by a car.

I'm sorry about your mother. I know that's a hard thing to go through and I'm glad you have the cancer insurance policy but...I don't know. I have absolutely no trust in these companies and if they wanted to pursue it I'm afraid they could probably still get out of the deal.

My hope is that you never have to find out if you're well covered or not.

You are such a great guy. Thank you, sweetie.

You are such a great guy. Thank you, sweetie.

You're welcome. I always attempt to treat people like they treat me and you've been so great to me since I joined this site so I thank you too :)

You're welcome. I always attempt to treat people like they treat me and you've been so great to me since I joined this site so I thank you too :)

As you know by know I'm a brit...I visit your wonderful country two or three times a year as our son works for an American company and lives in the States. I love it.

But....I and everyone else in every other first world country, particularly Europe, cannot for the life of us understand why the richest and most powerful country in the world...and the kindest...has such a goddam awful health service (excuse my language.)

Actually I'm wrong...you don't have any kind of health service.

May I bore you and give you two examples of my wife and myself....

I am diabetic..I was diagnosed some 11 years ago.

All my medication...insulin, needles, testing equipment etc is provided by our National health service...free of charge.

I get three monthly checkups..HBa1c tests.

I get six monthly full checkups....blood tests, circulation tests, heart check-ups, cholesterol checks, insulin reserve tests, services of a dietician etc etc etc ...all free on the NHS.

There is a specialist diabetic centre at our local small -town hospital...I can phone them and get advice, or go there, any time 24/7.

All free.

My wife had a routine mammogram a year ago...all women in the UK are entitled to an annual mammogram. She was found to have extensive cancer in both breasts, luckily not too far advanced to be fatal if action was taken.

She chose to have a double mastectomy. This was done the day after the biopsy report came back, which was only a couple of days after the mammogram result.

She is now undergoing chemo therapy. Again she has a 24/7 help line and constant attention from our doctor, health visitors and the specialist nurses and oncologists at the hospital. The attention and care couldn't be better...and this is not one of the great London hospitals, just a small coastal town's hospital.

There was never any question of any payment. We have socialised medicine, which by the way has nothing whatsoever to do with "socialism".

The same is true of all European countries...the systems may vary but the results are the same.

Can it be a coincidence that the life expectancy of Europeans is higher than that of the States?

Health is a basic human right...for people to make profit out of it cannot be right.

As you know by know I'm a brit...I visit your wonderful country two or three times a year as our son works for an American company and lives in the States. I love it.

But....I and everyone else in every other first world country, particularly Europe, cannot for the life of us understand why the richest and most powerful country in the world...and the kindest...has such a goddam awful health service (excuse my language.)

All my medication...insulin, needles, testing equipment etc is provided by our National health service...free of charge.

I get six monthly full checkups....blood tests, circulation tests, heart check-ups, cholesterol checks, insulin reserve tests, services of a dietician etc etc etc ...all free on the NHS.

There is a specialist diabetic centre at our local small -town hospital...I can phone them and get advice, or go there, any time 24/7.

All free.

My wife had a routine mammogram a year ago...all women in the UK are entitled to an annual mammogram. She was found to have extensive cancer in both breasts, luckily not too far advanced to be fatal if action was taken.

She chose to have a double mastectomy. This was done the day after the biopsy report came back, which was only a couple of days after the mammogram result.

She is now undergoing chemo therapy. Again she has a 24/7 help line and constant attention from our doctor, health visitors and the specialist nurses and oncologists at the hospital. The attention and care couldn't be better...and this is not one of the great London hospitals, just a small coastal town's hospital.

There was never any question of any payment. We have socialised medicine, which by the way has nothing whatsoever to do with "socialism".

The same is true of all European countries...the systems may vary but the results are the same.

Can it be a coincidence that the life expectancy of Europeans is higher than that of the States?

Health is a basic human right...for people to make profit out of it cannot be right.

Thank you for sharing your story and your opinions--I agree with you that it is mind-boggling that the US doesn't have better health care. At the root of most issues is money--sadly, I think that's what our collective health means to those in the know--money.

Our Congress has exceptional health care--if we can do it for them (and we operate here under the premise that 'all men are created equal'), then why not for everyone?

Money.

All free.

I completely agree with you. Money is the core of why we stick with this horrible healthcare system. It's also the money that is paid to the politicians in this country, mostly conservative, to lie about healthcare. And the majority of people in this country are ignorant enough to buy into the lies. I use the word ignorant instead of stupid because we could choose to educate ourselves on the benefits of socialized medicine, we just choose not to.

It's like when someone says that the United States is the greatest country on Earth. Ask them why they think that. Generally you will either recieve no answer or a poor one. "Well we have freedom and democracy!" Yeah, that makes us better than Saudi Arabia but I'm pretty sure there are many other countries that have that. "We have a great military!" Yeah, so did Hitler. "Well we may have our differences but this country can really pull together when we need to." Oh, you mean like a family? That's interesting, cause I don't think I would deny my mother cancer treatment because she doesn't have enough money, or not allow my cousin to marry because he wants to marry a guy, or deport my aunt back to Mexico. (fictional family haha)

Now I'm not just bashing America here. There are many great things about this country. But too many people have this full-on, romanticised, unprecedented love for everything America. They talk about the world like they were living in the past. Like the Nazis still control Germany, Cuba is holding missiles for the Soviet Union, and we need to revolt against the British! And yeah, we escaped British control back in the day for good reasons. No offense wiseraphael, but you guys were being pricks back then. :lol: But that was like quite awhile ago. England has grown up a lot since then. They stopped drinking so much, they have a job now and they're ready to settle down. And perhaps we should consider it because we could really learn something from their progress, like when someone is dying someone else doesn't need to fucking profit off of it!

It's like one day we woke up and said, "well, we are the greatest country on Earth so I guess we don't have to work anymore." Well guess what, the other countries kept working and they found a way to be better. England, France and Canada have perfected healthcare and we have perfected militaries and bombs. I guess this means we're a bit like Iran, doesn't it?

I read your stories of medical problems and I'm very sorry you have had to go through that stuff and I'm genuinly happy for you that you were able to recieve medical help. But I get so angry that I know if I was to have the problems you faced I would be screwed because this dumb fucking country still wants to run healthcare like we're living in the dark ages. Guess if I get cancer I'll just stick some leaches on my body! It really makes me sick that if I have a serious medical condition I'd have to move to Canada or Europe or hitch a ride on a banana boat to Cuba just to survive. Or survive without spending the rest of my life paying medical bills.

So yeah fellow Americans, there are some good things about this country. But don't you dare tell me we are the greatest country on Earth until we stop buying into this BS and join the rest of the free world in getting universal healthcare in this country. Then tell me. And I'll say ya know we still have a lot of problems to deal with, but at least we've grown up enough to know greed shouldn't be the god of our health!

Edited by RobCooperX

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we had universal healthcare in the US. Then the politicians could stop arguing about it and most importantly when we got sick we wouldn't have to be afraid to see a doctor. We wouldn't have to worry about how we were gonna pay the doctor bill. We wouldn't have to worry about rather or not our insurance companies would weasel their way out of paying for our cancer treatments. Hell, in France they doctors still do HOUSECALLS! Seriously.

Also any Republican that claims Christianity but does not support universal healthcare is a hypocrit. I may not be now, but I was raised Christian and I remember Jesus Christ HEALING THE SICK and HELPING THE POOR. Apparently I missed the Bible verse where Jesus denied a sick man because his insurance company wouldn't cover it and he was too poor to pay out of pocket! Face it, you're not Christ's followers, you're just fans. Try to be less Christian and more Christ-like!

Conservatives fight so hard against Universal Healthcare now, but I guarentee when/if this country ever got it a few years after they realized the people (voters) loved it they would claim it was their idea!

all I can say is thank God we do not have to pay for our health care like you do in the US. heath care should be free for the poor.

all I can say is thank God we do not have to pay for our health care like you do in the US. heath care should be free for the poor.

Exactly. Since you're from England I have a question for you, are you about tired of the US calling itself the greatest country on Earth when we can't do something as basic as take care of our sick and poor?

I have heard that believe it or not, the lies are working

Sad to say if this country believes those lies, then we all deserve to lose medicare and soc sec, most of us will starve and die from lack of health care, but we will deserve it