Sign in to follow this  
TheOldBarn

Atlas Shrugged, By Ayn Rand

A dystopia is the idea of a society, generally of a speculative future, characterized by negative, anti-utopian elements, varying from environmental to political and social issues. Dystopian societies, usually hypothesized by writers of fiction, have culminated in a broad series of sub-genres and is often used to raise issues regarding society, environment, politics, religion, psychology, spirituality, or technology that may become present in the future. For this reason, Dystopias have taken the form of a multitude of speculations, such as Pollution; Poverty; Societal collapse or Political repression and Totalitarianism. Famous depictions of Dystopian societies include Nineteen Eighty-Four, a totalitarian invasive super state; Brave New World, where the human population is placed under a caste of psychological allocation and Fahrenheit 451 where the state burns books out of fear of what they may incite. The Iron Heel was described by Erich Fromm as "the earliest of the modern Dystopian"[1].

This is taken from wikepedia, not my writing.

Atlas Shrugged, more concrete, to some than others, is more like 1984, also a novel about the Totalitarian regime in future time, more than of being anything true.

And you could guess that there is insight and imaginative thought within its text, but you should also seek to measure within it reality when you do, which within it, you should find, there is not any absolute truth.

Rather, it is Theology, the opposite of real pragmatism economics, as Paul Ryan suggests.

It's a school of thought, or doctrine, which it should never have been, yet is. It was anti-communism. It was science-fiction, ideologically bent, misunderstood, tried to make literal, a viewpoint, that once was against --- what it is now. A Dystopian view.

People during the great depression didn't understand economics. The invisible hand never was ever proven to exist. Nobody clearly illustrates why there are so many great people in Iran, yet, why there is great turmoil in Iran in a historic geopolitical sense/ even here in the US, distorted logic and nonsense divides one group of voters against the next. People don't have the skill to deliberate in a real democracy, social policy thought is thought to be anti-business, anti-free thought --- some resolute step towards Totalitarianism. Purely Science Fiction, really, is that how one should base economic policy?

Well, it sure the heck sounds like it from the right!

Peace!

Have you heard?

Ryan is now trying to "Etch-a-Sketch" his past worship of Ayn Rand.

But there's plenty of video showing him lauding Rand and advocating her philosophy.

Have you heard?

Ryan is now trying to "Etch-a-Sketch" his past worship of Ayn Rand.

But there's plenty of video showing him lauding Rand and advocating her philosophy.

All rich people laud Rand and advocate her philosophy, because the core principle of Ayn Rand is that rich people are simply superior and the rich eat up her arguments of their superiority and regurgitate them to each other at cocktail parties. Of course all her arguments are actually simplistic and often ignore the facts of the real world economy and workplace, but rich people aren’t actually that smart and have no knowledge of the real world economy and workplace.

Hmm, it seems to me there’s a word for people considering themselves superior, what could that word be? Could that be… hmmm… Supremacism?

I was thinking about writing one of those philosophy type books.

I like to make observations and turn them into books. Thats all it amounts to when you talk about people like Ayn Rand and so many others.

I could make an observation by saying "THE CREAM ALWAYS RISES TO THE TOP - AND SO DOES THE SCUM.". Now, all I have to do is make a long rant about that and call it a book.

I was thinking about writing one of those philosophy type books.

I like to make observations and turn them into books. Thats all it amounts to when you talk about people like Ayn Rand and so many others.

I could make an observation by saying "THE CREAM ALWAYS RISES TO THE TOP - AND SO DOES THE SCUM.". Now, all I have to do is make a long rant about that and call it a book.

LOL...I hope you do...

I could see creatively why someone would think of Ayn Rand as a fountainhead of pure Hellenistic philosophy, Greek Stoicism.

From wikepedia:

Stoicism (Greek Στωικισμός) is a school of Hellenistic philosophy founded in Athens by Zeno of Citium in the early 3rd century BC. The Stoics taught that destructive emotions resulted from errors in judgment, and that a sage, or person of "moral and intellectual perfection," would not suffer such emotions.[1]

Stoics were concerned with the active relationship between cosmic determinism and human freedom, and the belief that it is virtuous to maintain a will (called prohairesis) that is in accord with nature. Because of this, the Stoics presented their philosophy as a way of life, and they thought that the best indication of an individual's philosophy was not what a person said but how he behaved.[2]

Later Stoics, such as Seneca and Epictetus, emphasized that because "virtue is sufficient for happiness," a sage was immune to misfortune. This belief is similar to the meaning of the phrase "stoic calm", though the phrase does not include the "radical ethical" Stoic views that only a sage can be considered truly free, and that all moral corruptions are equally vicious.[1]

From its founding, Stoic doctrine was popular with a following throughout Greece and the Roman Empire, including the Emperor Marcus Aurelius, until the closing of all philosophy schools in 529 AD by order of the Emperor Justinian I, who perceived their pagan character as being at odds with the Christian faith.[3][4]

But why the wrath of cheap political movement from the right? Ayn Rand would have nothing to do with the Right as it is today, or even with Reagan. Reagan wasn't an example of Stoicism. Nor is religion, or the structure of family.

No one has merit enough to speak of substantive issue in any political season. We aren't led and we aren't behind everything, all walks of life or expression.

So we rightfully might feel powerless. Karl Rove is a jerk, because why? you know why. Money, a pulpit like Fox News, or the Wall Street Journal Editorial Post he holds.

Ayn Rand would hate his approach. Call him what he is.

But let us be frank, none of this has anything and everything to do with the mess we all find ourselves in, and at the same time, we are disjointed and identify ourselves with purposeless existence.

History seems to repeat itself, we live in a tax adverse land, want more, want to pay less. A tax break becomes a government expenditure, a subsidy, and our economy seems frail.

And we aren't about rich against poor, or religious versus atheist like we are over and over again described to be.

Even our sense of history is frail.

I don't mean to wax the dismal reality since I'm an optimist, but WTF, is going on!

Peace!

Peace!