Sign in to follow this  
anniefey

The Democratic Playbook For 2012 And Beyond

democratic_playbook.gif

For years the GOP has been branding/labeling Democrats by creating phrases that elicit perceptions about our party. Frank Luntz is the individual who initiated this approach. His idea was to coin short phrases that would convey something negative about our party, and he demanded that all Republicans -- Senators, House members, television pundits -- use them repeatedly. He believed, and was right, that use of these phrases by ALL members of the GOP, and use of them ALL the time, would create a negative perception about Democrats that would become ingrained in the minds of the public, of the American electorate, and thus alter how many voted. Examples? Think of "tax-and-spend liberals," "limousine liberals," "cut-and-run Democrats," "nanny state," "war on Christmas," to name just a few.

The GOP, in formulating these phrases, has created a playbook. All the members study their playbook and use it like a sledgehammer on the public. Just turn on CNN or MSNBC (and of course FOX) and you hear the phrases used by Republicans every time, all the time.

And so the time has come to create our own playbook. We have the opportunity to define the Republican Party, to create long-lasting perceptions about them. In other words, they've been defining -- branding -- us for decades. It's now our time to define -- to brand -- them!

Below are two graphics that convey the same information as the graphic above, just less tedious and more entertaining:

branding_romney.gif

branding_romney_gop.gif

other examples at http://www.airfarceone.net/mittrom.html

:)

A better play would be to not mention Republicans at all, but to speak about Democratic goals, plans, and successes. They should speak of their accomplishments. For example they should go back to the Pelosi/Ried Congresses and explain how it was better for Americans when they controlled the Congress. The can talk about '09-'11 and how they stymied President Bush and they can talk about their run when they had both the Congress and the presidency. All they have to do is run on their record. People will decide in November whether it was a good or bad record.

When people hear things like "Recessionist Republicans" out of the mouth of a liberal they tend to think the speaker is a retard who isn't worth the time it to flip to the channel. It also works the other way with Republicans. If you want my vote for Democrats show me why.

A better play would be to not mention Republicans at all, but to speak about Democratic goals, plans, and successes. They should speak of their accomplishments. For example they should go back to the Pelosi/Ried Congresses and explain how it was better for Americans when they controlled the Congress. The can talk about '09-'11 and how they stymied President Bush and they can talk about their run when they had both the Congress and the presidency. All they have to do is run on their record. People will decide in November whether it was a good or bad record.

When people hear things like "Recessionist Republicans" out of the mouth of a liberal they tend to think the speaker is a retard who isn't worth the time it to flip to the channel. It also works the other way with Republicans. If you want my vote for Democrats show me why.

Yes. This.

Stop with gamesmanship. Stop with junior high school slogans.

Unfortunately, gamesmanship and slogans are a very necessary part of our politics. You can tell who is winning by listening to whose framing that the words people use fit.

Some adjustments I would make:

1) We need to stop saying that the proposed tax plan is a cut for 98% of Americans. Its a cut for the first $250k income for ALL Americans.

2) I would call Private Equity what they used to be called before they got a bad rap and changed their name - Leveraged Buyouts.

On a personal note - While the media likes to call it the Great Recession, I like to call it the Second Republican Great Depression.

To speak about language in terms as to communicate over all the noise merely intended to separate, is a great idea and a long-time overdue.

Let me just say, hell yes --- I remember when the word Liberal got its bad name. It didn't make sense, it wasn't at all logical. Just like elites weren't the most well intended educated folk who came from less-than-elite families.

Even if you try to be very much balanced, you can get confused, the same old drone, the same old motto. It's simply not one or the other.

I would hope we could all see more truth. Isn't that the ideal? Even if you are religious, don't we all want to individually evolve?

Yes, this is a wonderful post. Not because it attempts to divide. It's, Quite the opposite. And I thank you!

Peace!

Edited by TheOldBarn

What we can't know from war we didn't actually fight in. I think of back when Spain once fought a precarious war, the rebels had not a chance. I remember reading Hemingway wondering how brave he was, maybe he was something now long gone, something a lot of other young Americans from lesser families then tried to do.

In dispiriting terms, we can't seem to know today in all the confusion, with all the fascination, all the easily looked up fact, or all the news in Syria, or the rebel fighters who pick up small arms.

The GI's, the army, the airforce, a lot of long-term navy personnel who travel a lot these days, they know things most of us could never truly appreciate.

These people in our armed forces, yes, they do see people on both sides. They travel the world, they fight, or they conduct exhibitions designed only to sell more arms all over this world.

They know something we don't know, while we might fool ourselves, like we always did.

The rest of the world is ourselves. Sometimes the preciousness of life itself is something we turn a blind eye upon. The right to life, a fair argument is a battle so very lost, lost in simple history of truth.

A few degrees maybe all that separates one poor family from the best. A simple logic missing in all the body politic. Truly it's humiliating, how little we actually collaborate to make things better for all. They call it entitlements, being more afraid of debt than stepping up to the plate to protect those around you with less. While young kids do experience things they can never fully express.

Peace!

Edited by TheOldBarn

Unfortunately, gamesmanship and slogans are a very necessary part of our politics. You can tell who is winning by listening to whose framing that the words people use fit.

Some adjustments I would make:

1) We need to stop saying that the proposed tax plan is a cut for 98% of Americans. Its a cut for the first $250k income for ALL Americans.

2) I would call Private Equity what they used to be called before they got a bad rap and changed their name - Leveraged Buyouts.

On a personal note - While the media likes to call it the Great Recession, I like to call it the Second Republican Great Depression.

I like how the housing market crash always comes back to Republicans. Just once I would like for a Democrats to act like an adult and "man up" to their willing participation in the making of this clusterfxxx.

Democrats are just as much to blame for housing collapse as Republicans. Some of the biggest changes that allowed this came under Democrats. The change that made it a private corporation still beholded to the government, 1968 (Dem Congress + President). The change that allowed Fannie to buy private mortages and created Freddie 1970 (Dem congress). Fannie issues it first mortage backed security 1981 (Dem Congress). President Bush signs into law the Housing and Community Development Act of 1992 (Dem congress). ~~~In case your wondering that were it says Fannie and Freddie have an obligation to provide low and mid income families loans to buy houses.~~~ 1999 President Clinton puts pressure on Fannie and Freddie to lend more to low income familes and pressured Fannie and Freddie into the subprime market.

And here we are today. Skin it anyway you like you still come up with the same answer. Democrats are as much to blame for the current economic mess as Republicans.

I like how the housing market crash always comes back to Republicans. Just once I would like for a Democrats to act like an adult and "man up" to their willing participation in the making of this clusterfxxx.

Democrats are just as much to blame for housing collapse as Republicans. Some of the biggest changes that allowed this came under Democrats. The change that made it a private corporation still beholded to the government, 1968 (Dem Congress + President). The change that allowed Fannie to buy private mortages and created Freddie 1970 (Dem congress). Fannie issues it first mortage backed security 1981 (Dem Congress). President Bush signs into law the Housing and Community Development Act of 1992 (Dem congress). ~~~In case your wondering that were it says Fannie and Freddie have an obligation to provide low and mid income families loans to buy houses.~~~ 1999 President Clinton puts pressure on Fannie and Freddie to lend more to low income familes and pressured Fannie and Freddie into the subprime market.

And here we are today. Skin it anyway you like you still come up with the same answer. Democrats are as much to blame for the current economic mess as Republicans.

definitely, what you say is actually true. You probably knew it, the balloon, the housing crises that was. you saw mortgage jobs, or maybe youn noticed people buying the house right next to yours for a lot more, and no money down. Progress, in the back of your own mind was in standstill, and sure you could plainly see, people do have more big screen Television sets, sure, more people have smart phones. I've seen desperate people begging as a job with homemade signs even, while still holding a cell phone.

You've seen it, the incongruity of ignorance so much as is common fare, we all took that ride, bent as it were, twisted fate, waiting,

less than brave and standing by --- like I said --- debt is something we now equate with our own wealth, or our own privilege, not something we stand up for together despite our own luck. Charity is a mirage you feel entitled to give only when you feel you have more than enough. And to me, that's very very sad.

Peace!

Edited by TheOldBarn

Democrats should definitely be blamed when they go along with right wing policies. The right wing, free trader Clinton also signed the repeal of Glass-Steagal.

We still don't seem to get it, this concept of framing the message, of branding the opposition, of creating long-lasting perceptions about the GOP that would sway votes for generations to come.

We have to brand the GOP as "The Party Of Recession," as "The Party Of Job Destroyers."

Perhaps it's anathema to some in our party to use the Frank Luntz method of branding the opposition by using catchy slogans and labels... but it works. And the one key difference is we can BACK up our labels with FACTS (something Republicans could never do).

We must use a common language, a set of terms/phrases, when speaking of Republicans. We must ALL use these terms/phrases, and AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. And, we have the facts to back them up, for those who feel guilty about using this approach created by Luntz.

Language matters!

rebranding_republican.gif

-

So many oppinions haha

Well to an extent I agree with Magnus and Gaileybee that it would be nice to stop these silly games. The only problem is that just because the Dems stop don't mean the Republicans will. And these games DO work. It would be very nice to take the high road and not lower to the name calling level. The problem is that the majority of Americans buy into this crap. If you were trying to make an unfortunate majority of people dislike Obama and you read off to them an intelligent list of reasons not to vote for him you are less likely to be successful then someone who just shouts of stupid things such as "job-killer" and "war on religion". This is why I don't criticize Obama for not taking the high road and denying SuperPac money. Because he may get to say he did the right thing, but he will LOSE.

But the Dems also have themselves to blame because they really haven't done enough to defend refute the dirty name calling. They just say it's crap and move on. But people won't figure it out for themselves, you have to preach to them why these are inaccurate descriptions. It's like how the Dems let the word liberal die. The word liberal means good things, look it up: broad-minded, extending democracy, protecting personal freedoms of individuals. These are all in my computer dictionary. I am PROUD to be a liberal. But conservatives decided to attack the word and instead of Dems fighting back they let it become the other F-word. Now if you even suggest that some Dems are Liberals they will run off into the woods to kill something.

So this is what we have come to. Both sides are at fault for different reasons. I wish we didn't have to but it may be that the only way to win is to go down to their level. Let's just have a bit of truth in our name calling please.

Here are the facts to back up the branding/labeling approach we need to pursue:

private_job_gains_by_presidency_smaller.jpg

Private-sector jobs grew far more under Democratic than Republican presidents, 1961-2012

May 08, 2012

by Laura Clawson

Picture. A thousand words. Etc. The instant any Democrat uses this chart showing that between 1961 and 2012, the United States added 42 million private-sector jobs under Democratic presidents and 23.9 million private-sector jobs under Republican presidents, despite Republicans holding the presidency for 28 years during that period compared with 23 years for Democrats, PolitiFact will doubtless devote hundreds of words of dubious "context" to label it some form of untruth despite the clarity of the comparison. But whatever the relationship between correlation and causation here, this is a stark contrast:

Through April, Democratic presidents accounted for an average of 150,000 additional private-sector paychecks per month over that period, more than double the 71,000 average for Republicans.

Republican presidencies, though, saw slightly greater creation of public-sector jobs, which rose by 7.1 million under Republicans and 6.3 million under Democrats—a difference that would be entirely irrelevant if Republicans weren't always running around wailing about big government and demonizing public workers.

The presidents who averaged the most jobs created per month were Bill Clinton, at 217,000; Jimmy Carter, at 188,000; and Ronald Reagan, at 153,000. That's right. Jimmy Carter beat Ronald Reagan. The only president to preside over a cumulative loss of private-sector jobs was, of course, George W. Bush.

more:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/08/1089785/-Private-sector-jobs-grew-far-more-under-Democratic-than-Republican-presidents-1961-2012

Posted · Hidden by gailybee, August 21, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by gailybee, August 21, 2012 - No reason given

Agreed. To stay in power democrats need to use "fancy talk" to spoon feed their knuckle-dragging unwashed voting base. Running on any visable accomplishments over the last four years will only piss them off.

So go ahead with your "Doom & Gloom" strategy, it's the only move you have left.

I will say this though: Of all the government freebies barry used to appease the voting base, I liked the "Clash For Clunkers" program - at least it took 98% of the Obamma/Biden bumper stickers off the road. HAHAHAHAHAHA

But whatever the relationship between correlation and causation here...

With one sentence the author sunk his own thesis with every critical thinker in the universe be they on the liberal side or the right of the political spectrum.

I love Nancy Pelosi.

Edited by Magnus

argh...labeling. a sign of the times.

when exactly did the act of of a thing become less important than appearance of a thing?

is MTV to blame?...possibly

Phil Donahue?...probably

is it going to get worse?...I am afraid so

This is a two-way street. If you go with the trite little sound bites the way Republicans have, sure, you'll drum up support from a certain segment of society. But you will LOSE support from free-thinking liberals who will actually be offended by your tactics.