Sign in to follow this  
RobCooperX

John Boehner Hasn't "fallen In Love" With Romney

It's one thing to hear a conservative political pundit or even a FOX News show host say that America will have a hard time loving Mitt Romney. And of course it's expected out of a liberal.

But at a fundraiser last week in Virginia House Speaker John Boehner responded to a question saying that Americans were not likely to fall "fall in love" with Mittens, and that no one would be voting for him (as opposed to against Obama) other than “some friends, relatives, and fellow Mormons.”

Boehner was responding to the question: “Can you make me love Mitt Romney?” He flatly answered “no,” and said that no one is likely to do that. Then he added, “Listen, we’re just politicians. I wasn’t elected to play God. The American people probably aren’t going to fall in love with Mitt Romney.”

He added that the Romney had “some friends, relatives, and fellow Mormons… some people that are going to vote for him,” but suggested that at the end of the day, Republicans would be voting against President Obama rather than for Romney.

“I’ll tell you this: 95 percent of the people that show up to vote in November are going to show up in that voting booth, and they are going to vote for or against Barack Obama," Boehner said. “This election is going to be a referendum on the president’s failed economic policies."

I know it's true, that part about people voting for or against Obama. It's obvious that Romney really isn't able to create a fan-base like Obama or even George Bush. But Romney still gets all the racists and homophobes. You know, conservative bigots. Still it's pretty sad when John Boehner, a man who cries at the drop of a hat and who has orange skin, says that you are unloveable. He did say that Romney was a "solid guy" which sounds like the kind of compliment you use when you have no real compliments to give.

A "solid guy" is a compliment that every adult should aspire too. Being loveable doesn't translate into being an able leader. Just look at President Obama and his record. In 2009-2011 he had a Democratic Congress and could only ram through an abortion of a law on Healthcare, Wall Street reform, and ending DADT. He could not get the tax increases he wanted on the rich or any of his budgets passed. Charming, yes. Lovable, yes. A rockstar, yes. A leader, no. That the problem with everyone who voted for President Obama. They voted for an idea that he represents, not a leader.

I fancy that I know something about leaders given my line of work. I would rather have that solid guy who is a cold dick than a someone who is trying to win a popularity contest. When it crunch time you can trust the dick to the make the right choices even if they are hard. The only thing you can trust Mr. Popularity to do is whatever is going to get him the most votes regardless of the broader consquences.

None of this is to say Romney is a "solid guy." I don't know all that much about him. He is just another politician, but if in the end he comes across as solid then that is what you want at the helm.

A "solid guy" is a compliment that every adult should aspire too. Being loveable doesn't translate into being an able leader. Just look at President Obama and his record. In 2009-2011 he had a Democratic Congress and could only ram through an abortion of a law on Healthcare, Wall Street reform, and ending DADT. He could not get the tax increases he wanted on the rich or any of his budgets passed. Charming, yes. Lovable, yes. A rockstar, yes. A leader, no. That the problem with everyone who voted for President Obama. They voted for an idea that he represents, not a leader.

I fancy that I know something about leaders given my line of work. I would rather have that solid guy who is a cold dick than a someone who is trying to win a popularity contest. When it crunch time you can trust the dick to the make the right choices even if they are hard. The only thing you can trust Mr. Popularity to do is whatever is going to get him the most votes regardless of the broader consquences.

None of this is to say Romney is a "solid guy." I don't know all that much about him. He is just another politician, but if in the end he comes across as solid then that is what you want at the helm.

I wasn't meaning that being a "solid guy" couldn't be a good compliment, but in the context it was used in by John Boehner it sounded more like a last minute compliment he threw in because he was supposed to be supporting Romeny. If I didn't word it right then that's my bad.

And yeah, Obama has had his troubles because the Republicans have made it clear that their top priority is simply to get him out of office. They would rather the country continue to fail than to improve simply so they can use it against him. My complaint about Obama is that he waisted too much time trying to work with these pricks. But he's started to change that and I believe he is showing more leadership qualities everyday. And yeah, you can trust the cold guy more than the rockstar but only if his heart is in the right place. The Bush/Cheney team were able to get everything they wanted but unfortunatly they wanted to start pointless wars and strip us of our rights. You don't have to think President Obama is fierce leader, but I'd take him over Bush or Richard Nixon anyday.

And I can guarentee you Romney is not a "solid guy". This is just a last second bit of John Boehner Republican BS to get the Mormon flip-flopping robot elected.

Edited by RobCooperX

I wasn't meaning that being a "solid guy" couldn't be a good compliment, but in the context it was used in by John Boehner it sounded more like a last minute compliment he threw in because he was supposed to be supporting Romeny. If I didn't word it right then that's my bad.

And yeah, Obama has had his troubles because the Republicans have made it clear that their top priority is simply to get him out of office. They would rather the country continue to fail than to improve simply so they can use it against him. My complaint about Obama is that he waisted too much time trying to work with these pricks. But he's started to change that and I believe he is showing more leadership qualities everyday. And yeah, you can trust the cold guy more than the rockstar but only if his heart is in the right place. The Bush/Cheney team were able to get everything they wanted but unfortunatly they wanted to start pointless wars and strip us of our rights. You don't have to think President Obama is fierce leader, but I'd take him over Bush or Richard Nixon anyday.

And I can guarentee you Romney is not a "solid guy". This is just a last second bit of John Boehner Republican BS to get the Mormon flip-flopping robot elected.

What does Romney being a Mormon have to do with anything?

I call bullshit on Republicans stopping everything President Obama wanted to do. Again, lets look to the major four. ACA, Wall Street Reform, ending DADT, extending the tax cuts. The first three were done against heavy Republican opposition. The last was done for whatever reason. He had the whip in hand yet could not even get his own party to support his agenda. That speaks volumes. These last 18 months have been painful because the President only has one idea which is to spend money. His own party has rejected that method. I point you towards his budgets that were rejected by every person in the Senate, Democrat and Republican alike. That speaks of a man who is not intouch with reality.

The Wars are both Republican and Democratic wars. It is time to lay this farce down. The Democrats had from 2007 to till now to end them. So far only Iraq is done, though still heavily subsidized. We have wasted treasure in Libya, Egypt, and probably very soon Syria. We have bombed more countries under President Obama than President Bush. It is time to call a spade a spade. The Democrats have reearned the titled "neocon" just as their good friends on the other side have.

That is a major problem for the Republicans. Romney does not inspire passion or trust. I think there is a good chance many Republicans will stay home this election cycle because of him. That is, Romney is going to have negative coattails. If that happens, the Democrats may do much better than presently forecasted in both the Senate and the House.

I call bullshit on Republicans stopping everything President Obama wanted to do. Again, lets look to the major four. ACA, Wall Street Reform, ending DADT, extending the tax cuts. The first three were done against heavy Republican opposition. The last was done for whatever reason. He had the whip in hand yet could not even get his own party to support his agenda. That speaks volumes. These last 18 months have been painful because the President only has one idea which is to spend money. His own party has rejected that method. I point you towards his budgets that were rejected by every person in the Senate, Democrat and Republican alike. That speaks of a man who is not intouch with reality.

The Wars are both Republican and Democratic wars. It is time to lay this farce down. The Democrats had from 2007 to till now to end them. So far only Iraq is done, though still heavily subsidized. We have wasted treasure in Libya, Egypt, and probably very soon Syria. We have bombed more countries under President Obama than President Bush. It is time to call a spade a spade. The Democrats have reearned the titled "neocon" just as their good friends on the other side have.

Romney being a Mormon has everything to do with it because the Mormon religion is even crazier than most religions. Just look at the Morom beliefs: caffeine is evil, they wear magical underwear, they think Native Americans are a lost tribe of Jews, they think black people are not as good as white people but if they live their life right they can become light skinned. I have enough troubles with the Bible thumping Christians running my country, I especially don't want these freaks in power.

And no you really can't call BS on Republicans doing everything they can to stop President Obama on everything because it's the truth. They don't even really try to hide that fact.

Romney being a Mormon has everything to do with it because the Mormon religion is even crazier than most religions. Just look at the Morom beliefs: caffeine is evil, they wear magical underwear, they think Native Americans are a lost tribe of Jews, they think black people are not as good as white people but if they live their life right they can become light skinned. I have enough troubles with the Bible thumping Christians running my country, I especially don't want these freaks in power.

And no you really can't call BS on Republicans doing everything they can to stop President Obama on everything because it's the truth. They don't even really try to hide that fact.

Then explain ACA, ending DADT, Wall Street Reform, and yearly deficits over a trillion dollars.

Your bigotry towards Mormons is noted. Somehow I thought that was reserved to Republicans alone but I guess we can put that little lie to rest as well.

Then explain ACA, ending DADT, Wall Street Reform, and yearly deficits over a trillion dollars.

Your bigotry towards Mormons is noted. Somehow I thought that was reserved to Republicans alone but I guess we can put that little lie to rest as well.

Yeah, the guy has managed to get a few things done. And the ENTIRE time he had to battle the Republicans to get it.

Haha. I love how I'm getting called a bigot for attacking a religion that believes black people are inferior in the eyes of "god" to white people. Now if by bigot you mean anti-religion I passionatly thank you for that compliment. Best wishes.

Yeah, the guy has managed to get a few things done. And the ENTIRE time he had to battle the Republicans to get it.

Haha. I love how I'm getting called a bigot for attacking a religion that believes black people are inferior in the eyes of "god" to white people. Now if by bigot you mean anti-religion I passionatly thank you for that compliment. Best wishes.

Managed to get a few things done? Yeah, those are certainly a few things.

It is what it is. You just classified everyone in one broad stroke. Being anti-religious...I don't need to go into it. I'm sure your friends in the clan are happy that you have stepped out into the light.

Managed to get a few things done? Yeah, those are certainly a few things.

It is what it is. You just classified everyone in one broad stroke. Being anti-religious...I don't need to go into it. I'm sure your friends in the clan are happy that you have stepped out into the light.

The clan? As in the Ku Klux Klan? If this is in fact what you meant you need to get your facts straight because everyone in the group are very Christian. And I classified everyone that chose to be a part of a religion that promotes racism and I am unapologetic for that. So who are the real bigots here? And for your information I grew up in a small republican town with quite a few racists and I've been in a couple of fights in my time trying to defend friends of mine that are black so if you want to say I'm in the Klan it just shows how dumb and pathetic you are. Conversation over.

So all Mormans are bigots. Got it. All Muslims are terrorist right? All Jews hate Palestinians,eh? All Jaguar's fans hate Colt's fans? Would you like me to go on? Don't delude yourself. Just because you have stuck up for some people while looking down on others doesn't make you any less a bigot than a full blown clan member. It is the person that matters and their actions, not some affliation by race, religion, or creed that they claim.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS THE LO, NOT THE NHB.

POST RESPECTFULLY.

THANK YOU.

I know. I am trying. I just can't tell whether I'm being dense on this or he is. God knows I have a stubborn streak about a mile wide running through me.

I know. I am trying. I just can't tell whether I'm being dense on this or he is. God knows I have a stubborn streak about a mile wide running through me.

Sometimes it's best to simply agree to disagree--neither of you has any hopes of changing the other--really.

I appreciate the discussions that happen in the LO, as opposed to the shit-slinging that seems to be the rule in the NHB.

And I REALLY appreciate your response! Thank you!!!

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to say that all Mormons are racist but that they belong to a racist group.

But regardless this got out of control on both are parts I think. We are obviously both passionate about what we think and a bit stubborn too. Let's just leave the conversation alone where it is so we can continue to enjoy political discussions without feeling obliged to continue this pointless arguement.

So I apologize for anything that was out of line on my end.

Peace!

My stubborn streak is a mile long too buddy haha. I completely understand that one.

Magnus, I agree with everything you have posted.

President Obama promised the people in his stops around the country that he would sign in a Public Option, that we needed a Public Option, and if it was not signed in, it would be much harder to do later on. When it came down to doing it, he did not - that was a huge disappointment. There was no real health care reform. It was not the Republican Party's fault that he did not get it in. What he did sign in was a win for the huge for profits - all insurance must go through them and they may eventually cover existing conditions, but it does not stop a person from going bankrupt or losing their home when faced with a major illness.

On Wall Street reform, he hired the same people who got us into this mess to his cabinet.

He could end the Bush tax cuts that were supposed to end, but he has not.

On the wars, he has expanded them.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS THE LO, NOT THE NHB.

POST RESPECTFULLY.

THANK YOU.

Most respectfully, this is censorship. The debate that was going on was nothing like what goes on in NHB.

It is not a "belief" that Mormons do not drink caffeine - they don't drink alcohol, or eat meat very often, (they do eat a lot of fresh, whole foods) or smoke, or drink coffee, for health reasons. Take a look at Romney at over 60. Then take a look at the Mormons who do not follow this. It is not a part of the 10 Commandments that we do believe in. It is not "evil" to partake of these things - most just don't - most especially follow the no drinking or smoking. There you go with the underwear thing again - lol - get some new material. You are boring. You have the Native American thing wrong, also. "They" do not think that any people, white or black are better than them. The LDS is not a part of a racist organization, as you say. This is a lie. Look at membership.

Also - The LDS Church has a good rep for helping people all over the world during disasters, Haiti, Katrina (first on the ground) the earthquakes in California, etc., etc.

Romney is not a "Bible thumping Christian" - so your troubles with that with him are not warranted. You can't get the guy to talk about his religion, and he did not talk about it as Governor of Massachusetts. Most Mormons will not talk about their religion, unless asked. Well, you do have Mormons in office - high office, too. So far they have not tried to take over the country. Yes, I know that you "especially" don't like Mormons. lol

President Obama is almost to the right of being a Conservative, but Romney would be a lot worse than him in all areas - what to do - I said I would not vote for any candidate that supports the wars we are in - way past time to bring our troops home, but once again, we have to stop the worst one.

Edited by Cara

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to say that all Mormons are racist but that they belong to a racist group.

But regardless this got out of control on both are parts I think. We are obviously both passionate about what we think and a bit stubborn too. Let's just leave the conversation alone where it is so we can continue to enjoy political discussions without feeling obliged to continue this pointless arguement.

So I apologize for anything that was out of line on my end.

Peace!

Shaking-Hands3.jpg

Most respectfully, this is censorship. The debate that was going on was nothing like what goes on in NHB.

And I don't want what happens on the NHB to trickle into the LO.

Most respectfully, we can express an opinion without resorting to ugliness. If you want ugliness, there is plenty of it on the NHB.

Not in the LO.

And I don't want what happens on the NHB to trickle into the LO.

Most respectfully, we can express an opinion without resorting to ugliness. If you want ugliness, there is plenty of it on the NHB.

Not in the LO.

Yes, the important thing is after being told to stop by you Magnus and Rob did stop and came out of this shaking hands.

And, yes, you wouldn't like this to be like NHB - lol

I won't be back unless Rob decides to bash Mormons in his peaceful way again.

"Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to say that all Mormons are racist but that they belong to a racist group."

"I have enough troubles with the Bible thumping Christians running my country, I especially don't want these freaks in power."

Edited by Cara

I won't be back unless Rob decides to bash Mormons in his peaceful way again.

"Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to say that all Mormons are racist but that they belong to a racist group."

"I have enough troubles with the Bible thumping Christians running my country, I especially don't want these freaks in power."

Hey, I think I have a fan! :lol:

And to my fan (Cara) I would like to say that:

1) The native american thing is true, look it up.

2) I've heard the race thing is no longer a part of their beliefs and perhaps it isn't at least with most of them. But it WAS a part of their relgion at one point. And perhaps Romeny himself isn't racist, don't know the guy.

3) I never said Romney was a Bible thumping Christian, I said I didn't want Bible thumping Christians running my country OR Mormons. So that was a misqote.

4) Yeah, I don't expect Romney to be over excited to talk about his religion. His religion isn't mainstream. The masses of Christians in his party want a Christian president. So religion isn't exactly his strong card in this election. If a Scientologist ran for President and had any kind of campaign manager I wouldn't expect him to talk about Scientology either. It's not exactly good politics when the majority of people voting disagree with your religion.

5) And yeah, no caffeine is part of their religion, not that I'm saying that all of them follow it. I'm sure there are just as many Mormons out there that drink coffee as Catholics who attend Church on Christmas and Easter.

6) I'm sorry the magic underwear thing is boring to you but ummmm...it's magic underwear. It's too outragous to not mention. Sorry...

7) We do agree on one thing, it is WAY past time to bring the troops home. But we lost the chances of this happening quickley when Ron Paul didn't win the nomination. I don't agree with that guy on everything, but he had great sense when it came to matters of war.

Good to end on a high note. Peace.