colfax

Support For Gay Marriage Outweighs Opposition In Polls

Another losing battle for righties: Support for Gay Marriage Outweighs Opposition in Polls

http://fivethirtyeig...ition-in-polls/

This is wonderful. Not quite enough still, as you might have guessed. But we are definatly heading in the right direction. Of course as this country continues to grow and mature about gay rights, the child-like anti-gay bigots will start screaming louder and louder. But we will win eventually!

Also just like to point out that I just learned that CNN host Anderson Cooper has come out as being gay. And as mean people tend to do, some are spinning as a play for ratings. I'm just sticking to being happy for the guy and admiring his courage to come out.

Best wishes.

Anderson Cooper has really never hidden the fact that he's gay--he just didn't make it fodder for public consumption, which I respect tremendously.

I have never doubted that marriage equality would become fact for the lgbt community--and it is time now to make that happen.

Just like to point out and throw a huge congrats to Rep. Barney Frank (D - Massachusetts) who is the first congressman to enter into a same-sex marriage with his partner Jim Ready. :)

I agree!

God bless Barney and his spouse; I wish them a lifetime of joy.

Has everyone totally missed the historical irony of this? In the prior decade, the right-wing employed the whole dangerthreat of, argh!, gay marriage! to marshall their troops and get out the vote in their favor. It was a completely fabricated non-issue at the time, but they beat on it so hard that it came around to chomp them hard on the soft parts. A groundless fear has been materialized into reality.

Has everyone totally missed the historical irony of this? In the prior decade, the right-wing employed the whole dangerthreat of, argh!, gay marriage! to marshall their troops and get out the vote in their favor. It was a completely fabricated non-issue at the time, but they beat on it so hard that it came around to chomp them hard on the soft parts. A groundless fear has been materialized into reality.

I'm sorry, what the hell are you babbling about? Just be happy for the guy. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, what the hell are you babbling about? Just be happy for the guy. :rolleyes:

EG is happy for the guy. He's pointing out that the worst fears of the Republicans have come home to roost--in THEIR backyard.

Gotta love the irony.

For all the support same-sex marriage has in the polls it sure hasn't translated to the ballot box very well. Hell, even Californian voters are against it.

For all the support same-sex marriage has in the polls it sure hasn't translated to the ballot box very well. Hell, even Californian voters are against it.

Look back at history. Same-sex marriage is coming, just like interracial marriage and women's voting rights.

It's coming.

Hallelujah!

Look back at history. Same-sex marriage is coming, just like interracial marriage and women's voting rights.

It's coming.

Hallelujah!

Still trying to connect same-sex marriage to the civil rights movement are we? Funny.

So is polygamy going to make a comeback too? After all it is between a bunch of consenting adults and to be honest I could use a junior wife.

Still trying to connect same-sex marriage to the civil rights movement are we? Funny.

So is polygamy going to make a comeback too? After all it is between a bunch of consenting adults and to be honest I could use a junior wife.

I do equate same-sex marriage with civil rights.

Why is that 'funny'? I don't find anything about inequality funny--especially in a country that guarantees that '...all men are created equal...'

I don't have an opinion on polygamy--but I do find it interesting that it is invariably brought up in discussions of same-sex marriage.

I do equate same-sex marriage with civil rights.

Why is that 'funny'? I don't find anything about inequality funny--especially in a country that guarantees that '...all men are created equal...'

I don't have an opinion on polygamy--but I do find it interesting that it is invariably brought up in discussions of same-sex marriage.

I find it funny because it was never a part of the civil rights movement. The Constitution doesn't guarantee "that all men are created equal." In fact, it did quite a bit to ensure that all adults in the United States were not equal.

It comes in because your talking about a social construct between consenting adults. One would naturally follow the other.

I find it funny because it was never a part of the civil rights movement. The Constitution doesn't guarantee "that all men are created equal." In fact, it did quite a bit to ensure that all adults in the United States were not equal.

It comes in because your talking about a social construct between consenting adults. One would naturally follow the other.

Polygamy is another topic.

I'd like to focus on same-sex marriage as a right equal to the one my husband and I have.

The Constitution doesn't say that all men are created equal; the Declaration of Independence asserts that 'all men are created equal'.

If we don't all have the same rights, then we are not all equal.

Polygamy is another topic.

I'd like to focus on same-sex marriage as a right equal to the one my husband and I have.

The Constitution doesn't say that all men are created equal; the Declaration of Independence asserts that 'all men are created equal'.

If we don't all have the same rights, then we are not all equal.

The Delcaration has no force. The Constitution has the force of law behind it. Under the law we do not have all the same rights except those that are granted through the Constitution. It says nothing about marriage in there one way or the other which means that matter is properly in the state's are of responsibility since it is a social contract. Several states have exercised their rights on that issue one way or another.

The Delcaration has no force. The Constitution has the force of law behind it. Under the law we do not have all the same rights except those that are granted through the Constitution. It says nothing about marriage in there one way or the other which means that matter is properly in the state's are of responsibility since it is a social contract. Several states have exercised their rights on that issue one way or another.

Magnus...I believe in granting same-sex couples the same right that heterosexual couples have to marry.

We operate in the United States with the understanding if not legally, certainly ethically and morally, that we are all equal.

It's coming.

Hallelujah!

You all should discuss this in nhb. Your in here patting each other on the back at poll that dosen't represent anything you all personally have done. 似せ。ぃって、白絵。じぇり

It's coming.

Hallelujah!

You all should discuss this in nhb. Your in here patting each other on the back at poll that dosen't represent anything you all personally have done. 似せ。ぃって、白絵。じぇり

Notice that we are actually discussing this, not slinging insults or name-calling. You are welcome to try to discuss it on NHB, but it won't be a discussion.

Also notice that Magnus and I are neither agreeing nor 'patting' each other on the back.

Magnus...I believe in granting same-sex couples the same right that heterosexual couples have to marry.

We operate in the United States with the understanding if not legally, certainly ethically and morally, that we are all equal.

My ethics and morals are different from yours or Cannon's or Lew's. We are all equal under the Constitution. That unfortunately has nothing to do with same-sex marriage or if we choose to allow or disallow it. There are several mechanisms in place to decide the issue.

And, frankly, you don't know shit about what we've 'done'.

My ethics and morals are different from yours or Cannon's or Lew's. We are all equal under the Constitution. That unfortunately has nothing to do with same-sex marriage or if we choose to allow or disallow it. There are several mechanisms in place to decide the issue.

And I believe that there shouldn't have to be a mechanism to decide something that the majority of the population is simply granted.

And, frankly, you don't know shit about what we've 'done'.

?

And I believe that there shouldn't have to be a mechanism to decide something that the majority of the population is simply granted.

The right of marriage isn't simply granted. The state have always heavily regulated it. Where I am from it cost $93.50 just to get the license from the county.

Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don't think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to

have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the "wrong kind of person" for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no

matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over

others. Especially if it denies people’s civil rights.

I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard's and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so

many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That's what Loving, and loving, are all about.

By Mildred Loving June 2007

http://www.freedomtomarry.org/page/-/files/pdfs/mildred_loving-statement.pdf

Words to think on from somone who was on the frontlines.