KarlChilders

How Obamacare Will Raise Costs And Increase Uninsured

I am posting this here rather than nextdoor in hopes of having an intelligent debate rather than usual Bull$h!t

So how does Obamacare Raise Costs and possibly lead to MORE UNINSURED

First off ObamaCare MANDATES limit ones flexibility in choosing a plan as used to be the case

Insurers basically are FORCED to cover a wider spectrum of illness for everybody this means more exposure more payouts hence HIGHER PREMIUMS to prove that I am sure many of yoy have ALREADY SEEN COSTS RISE as i have in the last few years these higher Costs could actually lead to MORE UNINSURED

Second the Healthcare Law CUTS 500 BILLION from Medicare Program now of course THEY SAY its By FINDING & CUTTING FRAUD yet KERS BE HONEST HERE our government is simply not very effective at catching and finding fraud and in many case the recovery Costs are more than the fraud orador hence we basically have a 500 billion hole in an ALREADY FINANCIALLY TROUBLED MEDICARE PROGRAM

This means 2 possibly 3 things

1 Medicare CUTS PAYMENTS this means Hospitals Drug Companies and Doctors RAISE PRICES ON OTHERS to cover the shortfall

2 a future Washington RAISES payroll deductions on workers and employers

3 a possible COMBINATION OF BOTH

Furthermore a survey has shown that if UPHELD 60% of companies plan on DROPPING EMPLOYEE PLANS and opt to pay the FINES this means MORE LOW WAGE PEOPLE ON AN ALREADY STRAINED MEDICARE SYSTEM

You see despite a PERCIEVED VICTORY the Affordable Healthcare Act has NO REGULATIONS ON COSTS OR PRICE CONTROLS MENTIONED

Simply put PRICES WILL CONTINUE TO RISE this is not PUBLIC OPTION

All this law does is MANDATE YOU PURCHASE COVERAGE or that if your POOR you are guaranteed Medicare

Well share your thoughts and please tell me how this LOWERS PRICES

Karl--thank you for this well-thought-out OP.

Will get back to you with a real response.

The simple fix is to pass an additional bill charging a higher tax to insurance companies if premiums rise above X number. The same should be done to for profits hospitals since I am sure everyone has seen a "explanation of charges" letter from a hospital. For example I have a hard time swallowing a 15k price just for using a room for 3 days for a birth. I think the charge was 28k for my daughter to be born which was an uncomplicated vaginal birth.

The simple fix is to pass an additional bill charging a higher tax to insurance companies if premiums rise above X number. The same should be done to for profits hospitals since I am sure everyone has seen a "explanation of charges" letter from a hospital. For example I have a hard time swallowing a 15k price just for using a room for 3 days for a birth. I think the charge was 28k for my daughter to be born which was an uncomplicated vaginal birth.

Wow...it's horrible to overshadow something as wonderful as the birth of your child with a $28,000 bill. I don't care where people stand on the healthcare debate, anyone with a brain could agree, that's messed up.

Well keeping "for-profit" bill payers in the mix is the problem. Insurance companies are nothing more than a bill paying service, this could be done by the govt in a single payer program without worrying about profit or approvals for services. Licensed doctors who actually see the patient should be trusted to determine what the patient needs or doesnt...if they cant be trusted with that, then why were they granted a license in the first place? Currently you have a non-medical pencil pusher who never sees the patient deciding what the doctor can do and cant do....does tha make any sense?

That cuts costs because no longer do we need these depts who do nothing but fight with insurance companies to get paid.

We could also cut costs by negotiating the prices on drugs on a national level. A 300 million customer base gives the US amazing negotiating power and will get you much better prices on drugs.

The problem as I see it is that Obama gave in to the insurance and drug companies because the US govt has been owned and run by certain well funded industries for many many years now. Either Obama cant change anything or he doesnt care to...doesnt matter which it is to me really. In the end I think we have to stop thinking ANY elected representatives can or will change anything and take the responsiblity upon ourselves to make the changes, to demand the changes and not settle for anything less.

It does seem all systems end up going rather moldy ie. corrupt and its up to the public to recognize when its happened and then to go ahead and smash the current system and install a new one. We are sopposed to control them but currently they control us...we cant expect those that are winning under the current system to change it can we? So its up to us and so far, I see that the partisan game is helping to prevent it so in the end, I guess we get what we deserve since we arent willing to do anything to fix it.

I respect the thoughtfulness of the OP, and I too worry about costs and the potential for unexpected consequences. However, the current free market private insurance system had led to lifetime caps, preexisting condition exclusions, and too little spending on direct care. No one, not Republicans or Democrats, had done anything about these issues. This left an important opening which would not have otherwise existed if previous administrations - again whether Democrats or Republicans - had done something to fix them.

Swing Voters will like this site

this all comes down to one thing...cost

ok

what is the cost of a human life? $100? $1000? what is the value of a loved one? your mother or brother or your child?

how do you quantify what exactly a human life is worth?

this is an question that cannot be answered by anyone with a conscience.

I honestly do not care what it will cost financially, every life saved or improved is just another part of the "profit margin" that NOBODY seems to be talking about!

To me a fix for this would be for the federal government to offer free education to those wanting to be doctors, nurses, midwives, etc in exchange for block of service. Think of it like military academies where potential officers trade 6 years of their lives for a free quality education. The government can then place these folks for their term of "service" where they are most needed. Additionally the federal government could set up clinics/hospitals around the country staffed by these graduates. It could be funded through means testing so that those seeking care don't get gouged or sent to the poor house. Obviously there won't be 100% coverage of the country or all the services needed, but it should help ease the problem a bit. An added plus is that we help secure future as we are facing a shortage projected to be over a 100,000 doctors by 2020 (I believe that the number).

This program wouldn't help anyone today, but in 10 years (and less for the nurses, midwives, etc) we should be seeing progress. This is my particular pipe dream.

And still nobody has explained how the law changes things or lowers costs

Edited by KarlChilders

Magnus I fully agree with your pipe dream.

I believe we need to stop saying America is the greatest nation because far too many things show otherwise. Do not me get me wrong, I do think America is great however, it is among a number of other great countries. I would like to see America drop her arrogance and stop trying to reinvent the wheel on everything. Many countries have single-payer healthcare that are making it work well. I do feel Obamacare is a tiny step in the right direction for all it's flaws but we will never have a really good system for all citizens till it is a not for profit system.

A couple countries do have the idea that you suggest Magnus and it is working fine.

And still nobody has explained how the law changes things or lowers costs

The Secret KARL, is that this law is not the end...this is merely a stepping stone. We needed to pass this to prove we could...it does solve some problems, like getting insurance to those that don't have it, but it's not all.

You mention premiums and lowering of care, but the solution is obvious if you simply turn to the north. Canada has a far superior system to our own and yet if you check services in things like Cancer survival and Heart transplant etc etc you find that their survial rates are quite close to our own, (I'd say statistically equal but some people want to argue over a 4-10% differential).

The difference for canada however is their costs are SUBSTANTIALLY lower. Now yes, we hear about the dreaded "wait times" but the truth is that people in need of EMERGENCY treatments do not have any such wait times. Those with conditions that CAN afford to wait do so and their reward for waiting is they don't go bankrupt getting treatment, example, a knee replacement that costs over 25,000 in the USA costs less than 10,000 in canada...I'll wait the nine months and take some extra aspirin not to pay 2.5 times more for the same thing.

There is no doubt the plan is to build on this foundation and direct ourselves towards a full public option/single payer system. It will be hard because some on the right will continue to scream "socoalized medicine" and "death panels" but those people will need to simply be ignored while we make this better for all.

The Secret KARL, is that this law is not the end...this is merely a stepping stone. We needed to pass this to prove we could...it does solve some problems, like getting insurance to those that don't have it, but it's not all.

You mention premiums and lowering of care, but the solution is obvious if you simply turn to the north. Canada has a far superior system to our own and yet if you check services in things like Cancer survival and Heart transplant etc etc you find that their survial rates are quite close to our own, (I'd say statistically equal but some people want to argue over a 4-10% differential).

The difference for canada however is their costs are SUBSTANTIALLY lower. Now yes, we hear about the dreaded "wait times" but the truth is that people in need of EMERGENCY treatments do not have any such wait times. Those with conditions that CAN afford to wait do so and their reward for waiting is they don't go bankrupt getting treatment, example, a knee replacement that costs over 25,000 in the USA costs less than 10,000 in canada...I'll wait the nine months and take some extra aspirin not to pay 2.5 times more for the same thing.

There is no doubt the plan is to build on this foundation and direct ourselves towards a full public option/single payer system. It will be hard because some on the right will continue to scream "socoalized medicine" and "death panels" but those people will need to simply be ignored while we make this better for all.

Lovely. Thank you.