Sign in to follow this  
TeamAmerica

What Makes A Liberal?

And why are your guys beliefs so screwed up? Srsly alot of you shove your beliefs down others throats worse than religious people. Just saying.

And why are your guys beliefs so screwed up? Srsly alot of you shove your beliefs down others throats worse than religious people. Just saying.

I'm going to allow this OP to stay in the LO, because you're in dire need of an attitude change.

As a Liberal, one of the things I believe in is equality. Gay, straight, Black, White, Jew, Greek, Christian, Muslim, agnostic, atheist, rich, poor, Volvo or Volkswagen, we are all equal.

My life exemplifies what I believe--how I live, my strong work ethic, volunteer work, political involvement, how I vote, expressing my thoughts/feelings, giving back, knowing who my neighbors are, asking questions and wanting to know the answers--none of that is shoving anything anywhere.

You just came into the LO and shoved your opinion onto me.

Srsly.

Just sayin'.

I'm going to allow this OP to stay in the LO, because you're in dire need of an attitude change.

As a Liberal, one of the things I believe in is equality. Gay, straight, Black, White, Jew, Greek, Christian, Muslim, agnostic, atheist, rich, poor, Volvo or Volkswagen, we are all equal.

My life exemplifies what I believe--how I live, my strong work ethic, volunteer work, political involvement, how I vote, expressing my thoughts/feelings, giving back, knowing who my neighbors are, asking questions and wanting to know the answers--none of that is shoving anything anywhere.

You just came into the LO and shoved your opinion onto me.

Srsly.

Just sayin'.

How does one shove their beliefs on one if one just states their opinion about a certain group, asking a question and chanting about your beliefs are totally different. Just sayin. But anyways, lets get down to this interesting topic. So you say everyone is equal? Interesting, and I believe everyone IS NOT EQUAL. Equality in a sense to where everyone should earn the same income? Everything should be free? Everything goes? Basically if you are more successful than another due to that individuals smarts he should basically just give to the poor who do nothing to better themselves? I'm not a troll, I just want to crack into the liberals brain and see what makes them tick and why they are what they are.

How does one shove their beliefs on one if one just states their opinion about a certain group, asking a question and chanting about your beliefs are totally different. Just sayin. But anyways, lets get down to this interesting topic. So you say everyone is equal? Interesting, and I believe everyone IS NOT EQUAL. You guys believe the government owes you and every other welfare nut job a living. Equality in a sense to where everyone should earn the same income? Everything should be free? Everything goes? Basically if you are more successful than another due to that individuals smarts he should basically just give to the poor who do nothing to better themselves? I'm not a troll, I just want to crack into the liberals brain and see what makes them tick and why they are what they are.

First: if you want to discuss anything with me, stop making generalized statements about 'you guys'.

Second: I just stated my opinion. YOU brought up the shoving down the throat crap.

Third: Equality means that everyone has the same opportunities. I'm not talking about Welfare (you don't know anyone who isn't a Liberal who uses Welfare? Really?) Equality doesn't mean everything is 'free'. Where did you get that idea?

I am a Liberal because I have an open mind and an open heart.

I am a Liberal because I like the freedom it gives me to move Left or Right.

How does one shove their beliefs on one if one just states their opinion about a certain group, asking a question and chanting about your beliefs are totally different. Just sayin. But anyways, lets get down to this interesting topic. So you say everyone is equal? Interesting, and I believe everyone IS NOT EQUAL. Equality in a sense to where everyone should earn the same income? Everything should be free? Everything goes? Basically if you are more successful than another due to that individuals smarts he should basically just give to the poor who do nothing to better themselves? I'm not a troll, I just want to crack into the liberals brain and see what makes them tick and why they are what they are.

your above statement shows how well the media has done their jobs. their effort to differentiate the limitless opinions of people into easily labeled groups, its quite simply marketing 101. many have fallen for it hook line and sinker

equality covers many more facets of life beyond the financial...if money is your only motivator, so be it. its not mine, I certainly hope it never is either....does that make either of us wrong or vile in some way?

bring 100 people to a hamburger taste test you will get 100 different nuanced opinions..everything from " I love it"!..to "I am a vegan I don't eat meat" and everything in between.

the divisive politics of the modern age (in government but more importantly in society) is fueled by the media...all media!

I have a liberal mind, I am not a democrat. for me there is a huge difference, to others probably not so much.

respect is a big thing for me, until that respect is lost everyone I come in contact with has mine.

I am not religious, and am completely opposed to the christian faith. but I live by the golden rule, do unto others.." does this make me evil because I don't temper that belief with a supernatural origin? ...some would say absolutely.

IMO the liberal mind is an open mind. open mind does NOT mean blind faith, it simply means to have the ability to to look at a situation or opinion honestly, and have the capability to say "ya I was wrong"

I believe, in equality for everyone, in helping those that I can, in having a free open logical mind, that we have the best country in the world, freedom of choice, trying to succeed in America,

common decency, respect for others that have earned it, supporting my country, working together to iron out problems, voting my choice regardless of party, standing by my ideals and beliefs,

in enough taxation to keep this country strong and running properly but not for waste, a day's work for a day's pay, in discretion,in pride, in honor, in truth, in justice...........

These are just of the top of my head.....

Please let me know what you have issue with and what is 'so screwed up'.....

I believe, in equality for everyone, in helping those that I can, in having a free open logical mind, that we have the best country in the world, freedom of choice, trying to succeed in America,

common decency, respect for others that have earned it, supporting my country, working together to iron out problems, voting my choice regardless of party, standing by my ideals and beliefs,

in enough taxation to keep this country strong and running properly but not for waste, a day's work for a day's pay, in discretion,in pride, in honor, in truth, in justice...........

These are just of the top of my head.....

Please let me know what you have issue with and what is 'so screwed up'.....

+1 and thank you.

I am a liberal because I believe in the following things.....

1. Individual freedom which means the right to do what you want with no restrictions until you pose bodily harm to others or infringe on their freedom, and also the ability to choose and realize your personal potential. The former is called negative liberty and the latter positive liberty. Both are necessary in any society.

2. Constitutional government is important because protects citizens from arbitrary power by the state and it gives a framework for a strong, effective, but limited state.

3. Equality of freedom with the rights that define it and the opportunity that makes it real for all people is important. No one should be more or less free due to inherited priviledge, class, income status, race, gender, or sexual orientation. (No This Does Not Mean Everyone Should Have The Same Amount Of Wealth And Income)

4. Tolerance that leads to pluralism is a good thing because it enables different people to bear each other with their differences and disagreements in a way theat keeps conflicts from leading to strife and violence.

5. I think liberalism is the best political philosophy for anyone who thinks reasonable people can govern themselves, build, and sustain a society that is prosperous and liveable for all its people. Liberalism is the best way to go for anyone who recognizes the importance of changing things based on new information and experience.

All these things taken togther lead me to support a regulated market driven economy, social welfare, civil liberties, and civil rights for all.

Edited by kfbvoice

Posted · Hidden by gailybee, June 28, 2012 - he should not be posting in the LO
Hidden by gailybee, June 28, 2012 - he should not be posting in the LO

Karl was gonna chime in but Karls too deep and to articulate for his own good and he thought it would just be WASTED on you people

I am a liberal because I believe in the following things.....

1. Individual freedom which means the right to do what you want with no restrictions until you pose bodily harm to others or infringe on their freedom, and also the ability to choose and realize your personal potential. The former is called negative liberty and the latter positive liberty. Both are necessary in any society.

2. Constitutional government is important because protects citizens from arbitrary power by the state and it gives a framework for a strong, effective, but limited state.

3. Equality of freedom with the rights that define it and the opportunity that makes it real for all people is important. No one should be more or less free due to inherited priviledge, class, income status, race, gender, or sexual orientation. (No This Does Not Mean Everyone Should Have The Same Amount Of Wealth And Income)

4. Tolerance that leads to pluralism is a good thing because it enables different people to bear each other with their differences and disagreements in a way theat keeps conflicts from leading to strife and violence.

5. I think liberalism is the best political philosophy for anyone who thinks reasonable people can govern themselves, build, and sustain a society that is prosperous and liveable for all its people. Liberalism is the best way to go for anyone who recognizes the importance of changing things based on new information and experience.

All these things taken togther lead me to support a regulated market driven economy, social welfare, civil liberties, and civil rights for all.

I think this post puts 'finished' on the OP.

Thank you for such an articulate response.

You guys rock.

I think that perhaps the OP has liberals confused with progressives. Liberals are, by dint of very definition, those who value equal rights under the law and individual liberties.

I have to admit that I'm a bit wary of joining in on the conversation here because I have been labeled a conservative many times, yet there is nothing that keeps conservatives from being liberals. The declaration of independence and the preamble to the constitution literally drip with liberal values. Liberals formed the ideals of the U.S. and that makes the true liberal a conservative.

We liberals are not progressives, and don't want to change! We value the constitution, and we value freedom and equality. And if that is shoving our beliefs down your throat, well then so be it.

Read my avatar. It says it all.

Or, here's another....

A liberal is a man or a woman or a child who looks forward to a better day, a more tranquil night, and a bright, infinite future. Leonard Bernstein
Edited by Rebel58