colfax

Obama Booed At Boston Fundraiser

Making assignments more accessable is a step in the right direction. I guess we need to find a carrot and a stick. Obviously their children failing at school and then life isn't too big of a concern for those that don't care.

It's really pathetic. This is one of the reasons I hate to see the threads bashing educators--it isn't just the teacher. Student+Parents+Teachers = Education.

We all have to be willing to step up, stop complaining, and become part of the solution. I work with kids all the time who come into our classroom because they know I'm there--my friends Jerry and Brian are involved, now, as well. These are kids we aren't paid to work with--but ethically and morally, how can we turn them away?

Right?

It's really pathetic. This is one of the reasons I hate to see the threads bashing educators--it isn't just the teacher. Student+Parents+Teachers = Education.

We all have to be willing to step up, stop complaining, and become part of the solution. I work with kids all the time who come into our classroom because they know I'm there--my friends Jerry and Brian are involved, now, as well. These are kids we aren't paid to work with--but ethically and morally, how can we turn them away?

Right?

How do we make parents get invovled without breaking some hearts? Are we willing to take the hard road on this or must it be done with sweets? One thing is for sure, we need to drive into the inter-cities and raise hell. Maybe it time for prision schools where Queen Bees and Grammar Nazi Emeritus get to rule with an iron ruler.

How do we make parents get invovled without breaking some hearts? Are we willing to take the hard road on this or must it be done with sweets? One thing is for sure, we need to drive into the inter-cities and raise hell. Maybe it time for prision schools where Queen Bees and Grammar Nazi Emeritus get to rule with an iron ruler.

LOL

At the high school and elementary school where I work, the kids call me 'Gail, Queen of Everything'. It's very funny. I only occasionally have to wear my tiara as a reminder...true story.

About the parents...sigh...I honestly do not know what more the schools can do. We have kids who could do the work IF they were given an environment that was suited to their style. I love the teachers who let students take a test 'out loud' with me. If they read the questions out loud, and if they process out loud, they do SO much better on tests.

Thankfully, I work with teachers like that. They realize that one size NO WAY fits all, and when they have someone who is willing to go a little extra, they are wise enough to accept the help.

How did this get from angry Red Socks fans to a debate on education spending?

This is the way we roll.

LOL

At the high school and elementary school where I work, the kids call me 'Gail, Queen of Everything'. It's very funny. I only occasionally have to wear my tiara as a reminder...true story.

About the parents...sigh...I honestly do not know what more the schools can do. We have kids who could do the work IF they were given an environment that was suited to their style. I love the teachers who let students take a test 'out loud' with me. If they read the questions out loud, and if they process out loud, they do SO much better on tests.

Thankfully, I work with teachers like that. They realize that one size NO WAY fits all, and when they have someone who is willing to go a little extra, they are wise enough to accept the help.

Would a school year that last all year except for 2 weeks in the spring, summer, fall, and winter work? If we can't depend on the parents should we give teachers more time (and more teachers)?

Would a school year that last all year except for 2 weeks in the spring, summer, fall, and winter work? If we can't depend on the parents should we give teachers more time (and more teachers)?

I would love to try it. It makes sense to use the buildings year-round. As for more teachers...we spend days doing standardized testing, which screws up everyone's schedule and puts classes that many days behind.

I would love to try it. It makes sense to use the buildings year-round. As for more teachers...we spend days doing standardized testing, which screws up everyone's schedule and puts classes that many days behind.

Admittly I am a fan of standardized testing because there is only one answer to a math problem, sentence structure, reading, spelling, etc. I think we should be testing for the medium, not the extremes. When we have more time, more teachers, more parent participation, then we can move the extremes ether way. Our duty though is to the most that can be reach in one way, then those that sit to the left or right of the center. (slighty...or a whole lot of intoxicated at this hour, but I think you get the gist)

Admittly I am a fan of standardized testing because there is only one answer to a math problem, sentence structure, reading, spelling, etc. I think we should be testing for the medium, not the extremes. When we have more time, more teachers, more parent participation, then we can move the extremes ether way. Our duty though is to the most that can be reach in one way, then those that sit to the left or right of the center. (slighty...or a whole lot of intoxicated at this hour, but I think you get the gist)

I do understand and accept the reasons for standardized testing--I just hate how much of our resources go into preparation for it, and how much it puts our kids back with regard to their daily schedules.

One thing that public education can't seem to address are the different intelligences and the ways our students learn best. We teach to the middle, which leaves the outliers wanting.

Gotta be a better way to meet those needs.