tech guy

The Ultimate Trayvon Martin Thread

Young Black Philosophers Respond to the Trayvon Martin Case

Posted: 03/29/2012 1:11 pm

Very few of the facts in the case of Trayvon Martin's death are in dispute. On February 26, 2012, 17-year-old honor student Martin was visiting his father in a gated community in Sanford, Florida. Martin left his father's home in order to buy candy at a nearby 7-11. As he walked back home, neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman patrolled the area in his van with a loaded gun, as he often did. Zimmerman called 911 and reported a "suspicious" person -- Martin, who according to Zimmerman, was "walking around" and "looking about." The police dispatcher advised Zimmerman that police would arrive to investigate Martin who by now was a "suspect" (although the only "crimes" he ever committed were those of "walking around" and "looking about"). What appears to have aroused Zimmerman's suspicion is the fact that Trayvon Martin was a young Black man (in fact, still a youth, at just 17 years of age). Young Black men, as Zimmerman's neighbors attest, were a special source of anxiety and fascination for him.

Zimmerman took it upon himself to pursue Martin, ignoring the instructions of the police dispatcher and complaining that "these [butt openings] always get away." New evidence from the testimony of Martin's girlfriend confirms that Martin ran for his life, afraid of the strange man who was following him. Moments later, neighbors watched and listened in horror as Martin's cries for help were silenced by a shot to the chest from Zimmerman's gun.

Almost a full month later, Zimmerman walks free. He has not spent a moment in jail in connection with this killing, and the Sanford Police Department refuses to prosecute him, claiming that he has committed no crime under Florida's Stand Your Ground law, which licenses killing in the case of perceived mortal danger, even where the killer does not attempt to retreat. Since Zimmerman claims that he feared for his life, then, the state of Florida sanctions his killing of a youth whom he outweighed by over one hundred pounds, and who had no weapon on his person -- only a bottle of ice tea, a bag of Skittles and a (now curiously missing) cell phone.

Stand Your Ground is not just a bad law, an irresponsible law, or perhaps even the absence or erasure of law, insofar as it gives armed wannabes the right to live out their twisted fantasies of vigilantism and act as judge, jury, and executioner. In the context of a racist society that deems Blackness itself a cause for suspicion and considers mere proximity to a Black man good reason to fear for one's life, it is an inherently racist law. It is modern-day lynch law, a point ably expressed in the protest sign that reads "2012 Shouldn't Feel Like 1812."

One can scarcely imagine a case in which the facts are reversed. Is there anyone who actually believes that if Zimmerman were Black, and Martin were non-Black, then a Black man who had pursued and killed his unarmed victim would not immediately be taken into custody by Sanford police, simply because he claimed self-defense and police were inclined to take him at his word? In the United States, it is not even a matter of Blacks being presumed guilty until proven innocent. Blacks are never innocent. They are always ineluctably guilty of one unforgivable crime -- that of existing while Black. This is why no reasonable person can imagine a Black killer who the police presume to be an innocent victim. It is also why Martin's "walking around" and "looking about" was suspicious walking and suspicious looking. And it is why Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee believes Martin did something wrong that contributed to his own death. Lee's callous statement that if Martin had the opportunity to relive February 26th then "he'd probably do things differently" can be seen in its bizarre cruelty and stupidity when we reflect upon the nature of Trayvon Martin's only "crime" that day.

The Society of Young Black Philosophers (SYBP) calls upon Florida and other states with Stand Your Ground laws to repeal these dangerous, irresponsible, and racist laws. We also call for a full and thorough investigation of the killing of Trayvon Martin as well as an investigation of the Sanford Police Department. We call for justice for Trayvon Martin and his grieving friends and family. The members of the SYBP, who include college students, graduate students, and university professors, know all too well the lesson that Martin's death highlights: that Black people in this country may expect to be judged for the color of their skin, and all too rarely for the content of their character. It is this atmosphere of racist fear and hatred that permits "tough on crime" laws like Stand Your Ground to exist and to be applied in a way that condones the killing of Black children. The repeal of Stand Your Ground would be one move towards chipping away at the considerable state sanction of anti-Black racism and violence.

Though this blog post still contains some factual errors, it pretty much sums up my own opinion about what occurred on the night of February 26th at The Retreat At Twin Lakes, Sanford, Florida, USA

In Memoriam

Trayvon Benjamin Martin

February 2, 1995

February 26, 2012

2v0evjt.jpg

Hey, 'tech'. Everybody knows by now there's only ONE "Trayvon Martin" thread on Liberal Forum NHB that matters.

If you can't stand the heat in there .... maybe it's time for you to just shut up before you embarrass yourself further.

Edited by tolbert

perhap the young black philosophers are so blinded by their own race and their ownhatred of the police that they have't realized the sanford police department is not responsible for prosecuting anyone?

if this is how you think tech guy, you are clearly biased and despite your protestations to the contrary, you have formed your opinion, and have not and will not alter that, regardless of any evidence. the missive you cited in your op is laughable

'Stand Your Ground' forum: 'This is not a moment. It's a movement.'

By Mike Clary and Georgia East

Sun Sentinel

5:17 a.m. EDT, March 29, 2012

FORT LAUDERDALE—

Anger over the Trayvon Martin slaying reverberated through a historic African-American church here Wednesday, but it was not just the police or the admitted shooter that were the focus of the community forum.

Instead, a panel of black attorneys — included some elected officials — led an estimated crowd of 1,800 in New Mount Olive Baptist Church through an hourlong primer on Florida’s controversial Stand Your Ground law, which most speakers agreed should be stricken from the books.

“Our movement should be to repeal this law,” said state Rep. Perry Thurston, D-Plantation, of the statute many see as preventing charges from being filed against George Zimmerman, the Sanford neighborhood watch captain who shot and killed Martin, a 17-year-old Miami Gardens high school student, last month.

But in the meantime, asked Thurston, “What do we do to protect our young men while it’s on the books?”

There was no single answer to that question, but those who packed the sanctuary seemed to agree with panelists who urged calm in the aftermath of the death that has galvanized the nation.

“We are here to show love and support for the Martin family, and to learn about the law,” said state Sen Chris Smith, D, Fort Lauderdale. “What we can do is not let his death be in vain.”

Smith drew resounding applause from the audience when he spoke of his demand via letter Tuesday that Gov. Rick Scott immediately convene a task force to look into the Martin slaying, and not wait until after an investigation of the special prosecutor is completed. Scott has said that the task force’s work could take a year or more.

“If Scott doesn’t act by Monday, I’m convening a task force here in Broward County,” said Smith.

more at the link

I like the title of your thread tech..no firearms allowed.

I applaud the efforts of Thurston and I do hope they can rally enough support to bring enough attention for the law to be repealed.

I had no idea such a law existed before this case, and to learn there are at least 20 other states with similar ones is incredible.

Interesting facts: Chief Assistant State Attorney Charles Morton blamed the Stand Your Ground law for encouraging the use of deadly force.

“When this law was passed [in 2005], every state attorney in Florida opposed it,” he said. “But the [National Rifle Association] was too politically strong. Our movement should be to abolish the whole thing.”

Over and over again, the influence of money and power in our government, it is discouraging beyond words.

Good for them, the Society of Young Black Philosophers, the law is dangerous period, written so broad in scope, only made sense to the NRA I guess...idiots imo.

This law is bad for many reasons and not only as it pertains to race, but it should be examined as these groups have data to support their concerns.

RACISM, RACIAL DISCRIMINATION, XENOPHOBIA AND

ALL FORMS OF DISCRIMINATION

Written statement* submitted by the International Human Rights Association of American Minorities (IHRAAM),

a non-governmental organization on the Roster

The Secretary-General has received the following written statement which is circulated in accordance with Economic and Social Council resolution 1996/31.

[9 February 2002]

I make this statement today as an associate of the International Human Rights Association of American Minorities, (IHRAAM), to raise for your review the issue of ongoing disproportionate incarceration of African Americans by the United States criminal justice system, and in particular the exercise of cruel and internationally illegal forms of punishment against African American juveniles. This continues to be the case, contrary to the non-discrimination articles of both the International Covenant on Civil & Political Rights, and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, and despite the fact that the United States is a party to both Conventions.

The racial disparity in the US justice system is unbelievable. Every major civil and human rights organization in America has spoken out against this disproportionate incarceration, including the NAACP, The Urban League, Rev. Jesse Jackson and Rainbow Push Coalition.

http://www.unhchr.ch/huridocda/huridoca.nsf/3d1134784d618e28c1256991004b7950/afcdf490b75f64dbc1256b7b003aa5a5?OpenDocument

I like the title of your thread tech..no firearms allowed.

I applaud the efforts of Thurston and I do hope they can rally enough support to bring enough attention for the law to be repealed.

I had no idea such a law existed before this case, and to learn there are at least 20 other states with similar ones is incredible.

Thank, Henry. As a gun owner myself, I'm cautious when it comes to government, either state or federal, interfering with rights to lawfully own or carry. I was vaguely aware when this law was passes in Florida, but really had no idea the extent to which it had been lobbied and passed in other states. The map is interesting, as the states with this law now are mostly southern and mid-western to western, including Washington and Oregon. To me, if this Zimmerman/Martin tragedy is any indicator, and I think it is, these laws need to be placed under very close scrutiny and a determination made if they go too far in allowing defendants to claim self defense. I think this case highlights specifically what can occur when a person lies dead from a fatal gunshot wound and there is no one but the gun owner to answer the questions. Of course, we are now hearing there may be some credible witnesses to bits and pieces about the Zimmerman/Martin confrontation, but so far those statements still haven't given us a clear understanding of what happened the night of February 26th.

Thank, Henry. As a gun owner myself, I'm cautious when it comes to government, either state or federal, interfering with rights to lawfully own or carry. I was vaguely aware when this law was passes in Florida, but really had no idea the extent to which it had been lobbied and passed in other states. The map is interesting, as the states with this law now are mostly southern and mid-western to western, including Washington and Oregon. To me, if this Zimmerman/Martin tragedy is any indicator, and I think it is, these laws need to be placed under very close scrutiny and a determination made if they go too far in allowing defendants to claim self defense. I think this case highlights specifically what can occur when a person lies dead from a fatal gunshot wound and there is no one but the gun owner to answer the questions. Of course, we are now hearing there may be some credible witnesses to bits and pieces about the Zimmerman/Martin confrontation, but so far those statements still haven't given us a clear understanding of what happened the night of February 26th.

I understand that, but there are needless deaths due to this law prior to Martin. I hope they repeal the law and thanks for the links.

Florida's 'Stand Your Ground' Law Needs Work

Perry E. Thurston, Jr.

U.S. News & World Report

March 29, 2012

Yes. I have always supported the right to self-defense. However, there are many problems with Florida's "stand your ground" law.

"Stand your ground" laws stem from a long-standing common law right to self-defense. A victim traditionally has had the right to meet force with equivalent force. "Stand your ground" expands that right to include a right to pre-emptively use deadly force when the victim fears death or severe injury, and to do so without retreating. Florida recognizes a right to use deadly force without retreating against an intruder to one's home.

Florida's law is not clear to those who must apply it as to what constitutes provocation by an aggressor. If law enforcement does not know when following someone, using harsh language or physical contact arise to the level of provocation, they have no way of knowing who is the aggressor and who is a victim in a situation where both parties eventually resort to force.

Florida law provides immunity from criminal prosecution, including arrest. Law enforcement needs to know whether they can arrest someone while they investigate a death. The Florida Supreme Court believes immunity should be decided by a judge, but procedural clarity needs to be provided to law enforcement and prosecutors to show when and how to bring that question before the court. An accused is innocent until proven guilty, but misunderstanding of the law should not be the cause for losing the chance to responsibly investigate a death.

Also, the law provides no standards as to when or if a victim's right to use self-defense terminates if the aggressor attempts to withdraw or escape from a conflict. The law does not speak to situations in which the victims voluntarily put themselves in a dangerous situation. It does not address gang violence, riots, or other situations that are likely to blur the line between victim and aggressor.

The right of a victim to act in self-defense is unquestionable, but that does not mean the law that implements that right cannot be questioned. I believe we must amend the law to ensure that it works in every situation, to ensure that law enforcement knows what responsibilities exist under the law and to ensure that the public can feel confident in justice for the victim and the aggressor.

Ervin Jefferson, Atlanta teen, shot and killed by private security guards

ATLANTA - A distraught mother says that all she wants is justice for her teenage son, who was shot and killed by two African-Americansecurity guards just minutes away from his home in metro Atlanta on Saturday night.

ervin-jefferson-4x3-main-thumb-400xauto-32877.jpg

Candy Grimes, who insists her son was unarmed, wants police to arrest and prosecute the men who killed 18-year-old Ervin Jefferson. Officers have said that the killers are two private security guards.

Why so little coverage for Ervin? Where is Al Sharpton? An innocent black child has been murdered. Where is the outrage? Why isn't there a comparable outcry from the community? Why hasn't Øbama said if he had a son, he would look like Ervin? Why no interest in this story?!!??

two African-American security guards - Oh...no wonder.....

That every state attorney in Florida opposed the law tells a great deal..that it is among other wrongs, difficult to prosecute the shooter.

That every state attorney in Florida opposed the law tells a great deal..that it is among other wrongs, difficult to prosecute the shooter.

And it wasn't just the state attorneys who opposed this law. Law enforcement officers across the state raised objections and questioned this law before the Florida lawmakers voted on Stand Your Ground. But we all know the power (and money) of political lobbyists.

And it wasn't just the state attorneys who opposed this law. Law enforcement officers across the state raised objections and questioned this law before the Florida lawmakers voted on Stand Your Ground. But we all know the power (and money) of political lobbyists.

You're right and yet it was passed, the undue influence is disgusting.

Was that necessary?

Thanks, Henry, but it's no big deal. Sometimes a thread death is indicative of topics one side or the other don't wish to engage.

I think it is very obvious the right wing, at this moment in time, is engaged in character assassination of Trayvon Martin, in hopes the sensationalism will deflect attention from an underlying problem of that bigger debate, i.e. how Stand Your Ground is dangerous to a free society.

“When this law was passed [in 2005], every state attorney in Florida opposed it,” he said. “But the [National Rifle Association] was too politically strong.

These types of 'Stand Your Ground' laws are being pushed all over the country by the NRA and the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) even though there was no public demand for them.

This "Stand Your Ground" law, signed into Florida statutes in 2005, became a model for legislation pushed by the corporate-backed American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), and with ALEC’s help has since been replicated in states across the country.

"Stand Your Ground" laws have been popping up around the country in recent years (24 states currently have them on the books) – and that’s no coincidence. Just as we have seen with the proliferation of Voter-ID laws, the force behind the trend is ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council, the corporate-funded front group that has helped advance the most extreme laws adopted by state legislatures, from SB 1070 in Arizona to SB 5 in Ohio.

Again and again, we’ve seen corporations use ALEC to push laws that put profits above the wellbeing of ordinary people. In the case of “Stand Your Ground” legislation, the weapons industry and ALEC have advocated for a law that encourages more people to carry weapons, thereby increasing industry profits.

The National Rifle Association (NRA) is a prominent member of ALEC, and has used its influence within the organization to push pro-gun policies across the country.

ALEC: The Hidden Player Behind ‘Stand Your Ground’ Laws

These types of 'Stand Your Ground' laws are being pushed all over the country by the NRA and the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) even though there was no public demand for them.

Thanks Misty, this is so wrong and how we'll ever see this end, I don't know anymore...so frustrating.

Since 2005, corporations—gun related and other—have contributed between $19.8 million and $52.6 million to the NRA as detailed in its Ring of Freedom corporate giving program.1 In a promotional brochure for the program, NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre promises that the “National Rifle Association’s newly expanded Corporate Partners Program is an opportunity for corporations to partner with the NRA....This program is geared toward your company’s corporate interests.” The vast majority of funds—74 percent—contributed to the NRA from “corporate partners” are members of the firearms industry: companies involved in the manufacture or sale of firearms or shooting-related products. Contributions to the NRA from the firearms industry since 2005 total between $14.7 million and $38.9 million.

Thanks, Henry, but it's no big deal. Sometimes a thread death is indicative of topics one side or the other don't wish to engage.

I think it is very obvious the right wing, at this moment in time, is engaged in character assassination of Trayvon Martin, in hopes the sensationalism will deflect attention from an underlying problem of that bigger debate, i.e. how Stand Your Ground is dangerous to a free society.

Those who live by the sword die by the sword.....

Too bad that a 17 year old kid had to learn that the hard way....

The "gang" culture and the promotion of the God-less left has blood on their hands....I don't blame the kid.

He just did what all kids do--he did what he saw---he did what he was taught by this world.

Hit first--get "respect" -- don't take anything off anybody.

Now he is dead.

True, many are uncomfortable.

ALEC Exposed

Egregious errors and distortions in the first paragraph.

Very few of the facts in the case of Trayvon Martin's death are in dispute.
Many of the facts are not in dispute but the lies, half truths and manipulations are legion. Why do I think this thing will already be short on 'fact'?
On February 26, 2012, 17-year-old honor student
He was not an honor student. His grades were average and he had been suspended three times this school year alone.
Martin was visiting his father in a gated community in Sanford, Florida.
He was actually staying in the home of his fathers fiancee. Neither Martin nor his father were residents of the secured gated community.
Martin left his father's home in order to buy candy at a nearby 7-11. As he walked back home, neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman patrolled the area in his van with a loaded gun, as he often did. Zimmerman called 911 and reported a "suspicious" person --
Zimmerman was not on patrol, he was returning from an errand. Zimmerman did not call 9-11.
Martin, who according to Zimmerman, was "walking around" and "looking about." The police dispatcher advised Zimmerman that police would arrive to investigate Martin who by now was a "suspect" (although the only "crimes" he ever committed were those of "walking around" and "looking about").
Walking around and looking about in the rain, after dark in a gated community that had a recent history of burgluray is enough to warrant some investigation.
What appears to have aroused Zimmerman's suspicion is the fact that Trayvon Martin was a young Black man (in fact, still a youth, at just 17 years of age). Young Black men, as Zimmerman's neighbors attest, were a special source of anxiety and fascination for him.
Nothing in Zimmermans past or family history indicates that he had any animosity towards blacks. He sponsored two disadvantaged black teens, taking them into his home and on multiple outings even after the program for troubled innercity youth ran out of funding. He has black members of his immediate family. He did not know or mention Martins race until dispatch asked and the kid approached his car.

All that wrong in the opening paragraph, I am certain the hits just get better from there.

Edited by NeoConvict

Skittles is a brand of fruit-flavoured sweets, currently produced and marketed by the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, a division of Mars, Inc.

Click on the Skittles Wild Berry to see a list of corporate supporters of ALEC, including Mars, Inc., maker of Skittles candy treat.

2pttpvn.jpg

Dude-

Stop it.

OK?

Stop what exactly? Exposing the rotten underbelly of American Politics?