- - - - -

Why we have Trump

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#1 laripu

laripu
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

Why we have Trump: Russian interference, including false news and Russian hacking.

Why do we have Russian hacking? How did they do it so easily?

Edward Snowden.

Snowden brought information about American networks to the Russians. And that's why they've protected him, in exchange for security information.

We have Trump because of Snowden.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on. - Richard Feynman

#2 bludog

bludog
  • Senior Moderator
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:46 PM

It's becoming increasingly clear ...  Due in no small measure, to great journalism by Rachael Maddow and manyt others.  Actually, Snowden was just the medium through which, Russia chose our president.  Children, not yet born, will read about it in history books.  And if we cleanse it from our accounting of history, it will be read in Cyrillic script.

Now Trump is paying Putin back, starting with the gutting of the State Department under new secretary of state and former Exxon Mobil CEO, Rex Tillerson ...  The Trump henchman with the closest ties to Putin.   He once gave Tillerson a medal.

You need some inequality to grow ...  But extreme inequality is not only useless but can be harmful to growth because it reduces mobility and can lead to political capture of our Democratic institutions - Thomas Piketty

#3 bruno718

bruno718
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

I think the FBI was influenced by Russia in an effort to swing the election in favor of Trump, which is why they were dropping the email bombshell right before the election, although I'm not sure how much of an effect Russia had on the election itself.  What is certain is that Russia Today has been very anti-US imperialism and that sort of "propaganda" has been available for Americans to watch.  What with Assange supposedly about to meet with Trump, it is becoming increasingly clear that dissenters of American foreign policy over the past couple of decades have had a sort of overlap in Geopolitical interests with Russia, which makes sense when you think about it - Russia wants to decrease America's sphere of influence over areas Russia wants to control.
But why do we have Trump?  Well, I wrote about it in my book, Republicans Don't Cry.

“Now it comes out!”  Melinda was ready to pounce.  “You’re a misogynist.  You’re a male supremacist.  You’re a-“
            “I’m a Trump supporter.”
            Silence.  You white trash piece of shit, a voice in my head whispered angrily.
            Of course, it wasn’t true, I wasn’t a Trump supporter, but they were pissing me off.  I had to defend myself, somehow.  In hindsight, it probably wasn’t the best tactic.  But I had been long since done with politics.  I lived with two Republicans.  William and O’Shaughnessy were as conservative as they came for people our age.
            Technically, I was still a registered Republican, but it was really only because at the time I originally registered to vote, California had had a closed primary, which meant you couldn’t register Democrat and vote in the Republican primary.  Being an anti-war activist and all, I had to vote for the guy with the clean voting record (Paul) when it came to war.  Hillary had voted for the Iraq war as a Senator, and along with Obama, voted to fund it and all of Bush’s other wars every time Bush asked for the money.  I thought it was wrong, and I voted my conscience.
More and more, though, I was watching the Democratic Party change.
It had been decades since working class people had been sold out by the Democrats, back when Bill Clinton signed NAFTA.  NAFTA was a terrible trade agreement.  It re-wrote the Mexican constitution in order to kick millions of Mexicans off their own farmland and handed those lands directly over to big American agricultural businesses.  The out of work Mexicans fled to the cities, driving down wages, forcing many Mexicans to immigrate to America, which in turn brought down wages in America.  It’s basic history, basic economics - really.  It seemed to go unnoticed among modern Democrats that Trump ran against NAFTA, while Hillary Clinton continued to support it.  It wasn’t going to help the Democrats’ cause come election time, but there’s no talking to these people.
Another example of the change in the ideological platform of the Democratic Party was the abdication of morality when it came to war and civil liberties.  They sided with Bush, and voted for and supported candidates who went along with Bush’s War on Terror, domestic spying, as well as his torture policies.  They caved.
            It was sad, really.  All the party had left was environmentalism (not very credible when you’re driving around in a car, burning fossil fuels), claims of racism (while supporting a Presidential candidate turned President who supported the drug war and failed to release non-violent drug offenders from prison, a large portion of which is made up of non-whites), and claims of sexism.  The party had become ideologically outdated and morally bankrupt.
“How could you support Trump?”
            “I don’t,” I clarified.  “But Hillary Clinton is a murderer.  She voted for the war, first of all.  That’s fucking unacceptable.  Based on that, alone, she doesn’t deserve to win.  You can’t just put a murderer in the highest position of authority in the executive branch-“
I was interrupted by a series of cries about all of the horrible things Donald Trump had said in the last week, month, in the last year.  Of course, they were ignoring all of the people Hillary signed off on butchering.  And that’s exactly why the cries about racism from Hillary voters are void of integrity: Hillary supported killing people who happened to come from predominantly Muslim countries (I’m not just talking about Iraq here, I’m talking also about the illegitimate and ill-advised invasion of Afghanistan, as well as her support for the “War on Terror” in general - it was a racist policy when it began, and it’s a racist policy today).  And Democrats were pissed about some words some greedy, old, orange-faced man had said?  How the fuck could they expect to be taken seriously criticizing a guy for being mean while simultaneously backing a racist murderer?  It made absolutely no sense to me then, and it still doesn’t to this day.  In my humble opinion, it’s the true reason she lost.  Hillary had no moral credibility.  She sacrificed it the day she said, “Yes, I vote for the American military to invade another country and murder innocent men, women and children.”
            Case in point, Donald Trump is president today.
The night ended with the three of us yelling, the girls getting mad, and me kicking myself for forgetting to abstain from conversations about politics.  I ranted and raved all night and hung out with my Republican roommates.  At least they weren’t two-faced when it came to morality.  They didn’t pretend to give a shit about minorities in such a transparently false way.
“Racism?” I yelled in the garage, after taking a couple shots and a few moke snaps.  “The Iraq war was racist!  It was a fucking hate crime, committed by Bush, Hillary Clinton and the rest of the Congress!”
            Some time later I passed out, ignoring Melinda’s texts.  Apparently, I had insulted Laura.  I didn’t feel like explaining why I couldn’t bring myself to care about hurting Laura’s feelings while being right.
“Fuck the Democratic Party!” I roared to William and O’Shaughnessy.  “They’re a bunch of sell-outs!”

Edited by bruno718, 11 March 2017 - 06:48 AM.

#4 Strootman

Strootman
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

Why we have Trump: Russian interference, including false news and Russian hacking.

Why do we have Russian hacking? How did they do it so easily?

Edward Snowden.

Snowden brought information about American networks to the Russians. And that's why they've protected him, in exchange for security information.

We have Trump because of Snowden.

I believe this is a too simplistic view of Trump ascension to power. Russians have certainly helped him to get the few votes that he needed to beat HC in the swing states, but the remaining 60 millions of votes and the way he trashed all the other republican candidates during the primaries must have a better explanation.

The results of the primaries, in particular, show that Americans are fed up of the classical candidates and the corrupted politicians. I am perfectly aware Trump does not solve these issues, yet to the eyes of most of his electors, he does, or at least he could. At the bare minimum, they believe there is a slightly higher possibility with him than with Jeff Bush or Ted Cruz. Again, this is wrong, he's possibly even worse than those candidates, yet he's different, and for many that's enough to give them hope.

This demonstrate how low the level of politicians is right now and how dangerous the situation is, considering that this is an historical requisite for the birth of dictatorships.

Talking of Snowden, unless NSA and in general all american security agencies are administered by idiots, they completely changed all their security systems 60 seconds after Snowden disappeared in Hong Kong and certainly way before he was interviewed by KGB (or whatever is called now), so that any hacking knowledge that Russians may have acquired from him, instantly became obsolete.

#5 bruno718

bruno718
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

Cruz wanted to segregate Muslims in NYC into ghettos like the Nazis did to Jews in Poland.  He's infinitely crazier than Trump, as crazy as Trump might be.

#6 Zaro

Zaro
  • 23,791 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

We have Trump* because America is too stupid for democracy

*illegitimate
biting the hand that feeds my mojo

#7 bludog

bludog
  • Senior Moderator
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

Talking of Snowden, unless NSA and in general all american security agencies are administered by idiots, they completely changed all their security systems 60 seconds after Snowden disappeared in Hong Kong and certainly way before he was interviewed by KGB (or whatever is called now), so that any hacking knowledge that Russians may have acquired from him, instantly became obsolete.

Whether US security agency admin are idiots or not, It appears the Russians were able to to much hacking.   To what extent and who got hacked may come out after investigation.

Sure, there are many factors why Trump won, including people seeing Trump as a departure from the status quo ...   Someone outside the political system and a maverik, unorthodox enough to change things for the better.  That cult of personality is probably why he dismissed his competitors so easily, in the primaries.  But both The Donald and Hillary were weak candidates, each with many negatives, as perceived by the voting public.

For her part, Hillary was handicapped in many ways.  She was perceived by many in the working class as too corporation and bank friendly; She is married to Bill;  Her personality/projection of inevitability; James Comey's false flag releases;  Perception of Elitism promoted by the RW Noise Machine; Anger at rigged primaries;  Anthony Weiner, Huma Abedin;  Email and Benghazi scandals;  Jill Stein.

Each one of these things played a part in  whittling down Hillary's final vote tally.  But with the exception of Comey's irrelevant releases, all the above factors were part and parcel of how elections go down in the US.  The one foreign influence, which robbed Hillary of votes was the WikiLeaks dumps which now appear to have been made possible by Russian hacking of US sources during the election.

A national election should be decided by domestic factors;  When a US presidential election is manipulated by a foreign country, it is grave a matter of national importance.

You need some inequality to grow ...  But extreme inequality is not only useless but can be harmful to growth because it reduces mobility and can lead to political capture of our Democratic institutions - Thomas Piketty

#8 DonJoe

DonJoe
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

We let Nixon get away with Treason and he was pardoned. No one acted to restore the rule of law for the president. Then came Reagan, who again got away with treason. There was no pardon, no one wanted to act. The rule of law was further eroded. Then bush jr came along with complete disrespect for the rule of law, violating law after law; and again no one acting to stop the onslaught.

Now we have Trump, with no rule of law. It had lots of precedence. We have lost America and we can't get it back with the ballot boxes, mainly because republicans own those boxes and make them count however they want it counted. Even when Jill Stein paid millions to have a recount in Wisconsin and Michigan the GOP courts took the money and then directed the ballots simply be put back in the ballot box to show it can miscount the same way twice. Had there actually been a recount, I believe it would have shown a landslide for Clinton. They flipped enough votes to win.

Yes, Trump cheated and was installed by the Russians, but they weren't the only factor. Chuck Hagel (owner of most ballot boxes) played a big factor as well. Unconstitutional gerrymandering also played a part. No one was standing up for democracy, and this is the result.

We are no longer the home of the brave and the land of the free. We are the home of cowards, too scared to live in a democracy. We have to eliminate all freedoms because you just don't know who might be a terrorist; and thus our democracy is gone.

#9 bludog

bludog
  • Senior Moderator
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

Now we have Trump, with no rule of law. It had lots of precedence. We have lost America and we can't get it back with the ballot boxes, mainly because republicans own those boxes and make them count however they want it counted. Even when Jill Stein paid millions to have a recount in Wisconsin and Michigan the GOP courts took the money and then directed the ballots simply be put back in the ballot box to show it can miscount the same way twice. Had there actually been a recount, I believe it would have shown a landslide for Clinton. They flipped enough votes to win.

Can you produce any evidence or is this mostly your opinion?

#10 DonJoe

DonJoe
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

Can you produce any evidence or is this mostly your opinion?

Here are some sites elaborating on this issues:

Chuck Hagel owns ballot boxes:

http://www.onlisarei...ng-company-ess/

http://wheresthepape...tsOwningESS.htm

Chuck Hagel evidence he used the boxes to cheat in elections:

https://www.election...rig-an-election

The ballots were not recounted, only put through  the machines again:

http://www.procon.or...adlineID=005332

Of course this is just the tip of the iceberg. I bet you could find lots more evidence.

#11 TheOldBarn

TheOldBarn
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

I don't think Snowden gave up too much to the Ruskies, I do feel however that they used what was already in plain site on RT News, using it as another tool. Surely they've been meddling with the cyber shit for a while now, well before Snowden. I do have second thoughts about Wikileaks however. Yes, Putin read those tea leaves and used them well. They only have Fake News in Putin's Russia now, so it's no skin off Putin's teeth. His teeth they tell me, are thickly skinned as he's on a low carb diet, mostly meat, zero dairy. 

Peace!

#12 HIP56948

HIP56948
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

POPULAR

We have Trump mainly because the DNC allowed (probably) one of the worst candidates in modern history to run.  Not necessarily MY view.

Poll after poll showed one big thing.  People-did-not-like-or-trust-Hillary.

Add to the pot that the DNC treated Bernie Sanders like a black sheep and you have a recipe for disaster.  Many Bernie voters swore that they would never vote for "Her"....  THAT 10 percent sealed the deal for trump.   

#13 jimjc

jimjc
  • Validating
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

Why we have:  The farther I get down the line from this election I feel there was election tampering by the GOP and others. The owner of Diebold the voting machines used by many states, was quoted saying, some years back that there's nothing he wouldn't do to keep republicans in power. Second there is some evidence that Koch Bros was behind the Green party that received 7 million votes assuring HC would not win. 

There are many other reasons behind HC losing even with all this outside help against her she did get more of the vote. if you have many sources to do what they can behind the scenes illegally, all told they add up to a win for who ever the GOP candidate is. GOP Governors are another source. 

Lastly the middle states of this country have to much power in the electoral college for their population. If there wasn't a electoral college it's hard to believe that a republican candidate would ever win.

This is a one time deal that probably will never be repeated but I know the republicans will actively change voting laws now they are in power and the governors to do it and a Supreme Court to uphold the new voting laws and Democrats from here out may be in serious trouble getting elected.

This guy in power will change the future of this country and I'm afraid where it's going. Mid term elections will be the most important election ever, it will tell if the Democratic party is dead  or not..keep your fingers crossed the people are able to find out what's really happening that may be very tuff to do based on whats happening now..

RUMP AND HIS WIFE ARE COMMUNISTS

HIS WIFE IS A PROSTITUTE, HE HAS SEX

WITH HIS DAUGHTER

#14 bludog

bludog
  • Senior Moderator
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

There were many factors that shaved percentages of votes off Hillary's total, costing her the election.  Any one of them could have changed the final outcome.

~   James Comey irrelevant document dumps.

~   Wiki Leaks.

~   Angry Bernie supporters.

~   Jill Stein vote.

~   Hillary's Wall St. speeches and perceived corporatism.

~   Electoral College

~   Gerrymandering in a majority of Republican dominated states.

~   Flipping the vote at election machines.

~   Voter suppression aimed at Democrats.

~   Distaste at having a second Clinton as president ...  Another version of dynasty after the Bush The Greater and Lesser.

~   To say nothing of how Hillary's personality turned so many people off.

I do agree with jimjc, that the mid-term election will be the most important since the Antebellum era.  And that this time of total Republican domination will result in laws making it extremely difficult for anyone but Republicans to win elections.

#15 jimjc

jimjc
  • Validating
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

There were many factors that shaved percentages of votes off Hillary's total, costing her the election.  Any one of them could have changed the final outcome.

~   James Comey irrelevant document dumps.

~   Wiki Leaks.

~   Angry Bernie supporters.

~   Jill Stein vote.

~   Hillary's Wall St. speeches and perceived corporatism.

~   Electoral College

~   Gerrymandering in a majority of Republican dominated states.

~   Flipping the vote at election machines.

~   Voter suppression aimed at Democrats.

~   Distaste at having a second Clinton as president ...  Another version of dynasty after the Bush The Greater and Lesser.

~   To say nothing of how Hillary's personality turned so many people off.

I do agree with jimjc, that the mid-term election will be the most important since the Antebellum era.  And that this time of total Republican domination will result in laws making it extremely difficult for anyone but Republicans to win elections.

I do agree with your assessment all of which collectively worked together and perhaps some we don't now know to take the election from HC. We both agree the mid term will be the most important election maybe in modern times, I sit here having a problem believing this but there's no question.

We need some very good candidates and some help from the mad man stepping all over himself and some over exuberance on the republicans part doing to many things against the people in a short time would no doubt help the cause. we can only wait and see...

All these investigations may help if they aren't dumped out of the public view

WITH HIS DAUGHTER

#16 kfbvoice

kfbvoice
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:16 PM

There are two good articles in the New Republic that give insight into why we have Trump. I'm not in complete agreement with the authors but they make good points.

https://newrepublic....less-white-mind

https://newrepublic....ters-wont-stick

#17 DonJoe

DonJoe
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

This is a one time deal that probably will never be repeated but I know the republicans will actively change voting laws now they are in power and the governors to do it and a Supreme Court to uphold the new voting laws and Democrats from here out may be in serious trouble getting elected.

I am not sure why you think this is a one time deal. No one has acted to eliminate the ballot boxes that are so easily switched to elect republicans. Laws have already been changed to suppress voters. The USSC will act only on behalf of the GOP completely ignoring the constitution just like they did in 2000 when they voided our election and appointed bush. While there has been a bit of push back on the extreme gerrymandering, that can easily be reversed by the GOP supreme court. I don't see any way to have open honest and fair elections in the near future. The rulers of our government won't allow it.

#18 jimjc

jimjc
  • Validating
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

I am not sure why you think this is a one time deal. No one has acted to eliminate the ballot boxes that are so easily switched to elect republicans. Laws have already been changed to suppress voters. The USSC will act only on behalf of the GOP completely ignoring the constitution just like they did in 2000 when they voided our election and appointed bush. While there has been a bit of push back on the extreme gerrymandering, that can easily be reversed by the GOP supreme court. I don't see any way to have open honest and fair elections in the near future. The rulers of our government won't allow it.

What I meant was after this president is exposed for what he is and what he has done there will not be another candidate that is able to pull the wool over the publics eyes as he has done. yes there will always be the few that will stick with this type of person but the numbers will be small. 

The worry as we both agree on is the republican governors changing laws to close voting for many Democrats...We also agree on the ballot boxes. 

Although things look bleak of all the reasons listed but I will not give up as I said the mid elections will be crucial for all democrats.

WITH HIS DAUGHTER

#19 JustThinking

JustThinking
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

We have Trump because of Obama. He did nothing to please middle-class America and his socialist agenda and candidates have taken a beating for the last 6 years.

Then they put up Hillary, a flawed and corrupt candidate, and everyone is dumb-founded when she gets her ass kicked. Keep crying snowflakes!! We'll save the country in spite of you!

#20 Strootman

Strootman
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

We have Trump because of Obama. He did nothing to please middle-class America and his socialist agenda and candidates have taken a beating for the last 6 years.

Then they put up Hillary, a flawed and corrupt candidate, and everyone is dumb-founded when she gets her ass kicked. Keep crying snowflakes!! We'll save the country in spite of you!

"socialist agenda" lol.

It's unbelievable how low republican's IQ is, although it perfectly explains why they love Trump. 

#21 laripu

laripu
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

A bit more of Trump corruption and the country will be begging for the simple social programs you call a socialist agenda.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on. - Richard Feynman

#22 jimjc

jimjc
  • Validating
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

THIS IS THE LIBERAL FORUM YOUR TYPE WOULD BE HAPPIER OVER IN THE NO HOLDS BARED WHERE FOOLS LIKE YOU CAN JERK THE DAY AWAY

WITH HIS DAUGHTER

#23 bludog

bludog
  • Senior Moderator
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:19 AM

THIS IS THE LIBERAL FORUM YOUR TYPE WOULD BE HAPPIER OVER IN THE NO HOLDS BARED WHERE FOOLS LIKE YOU CAN JERK THE DAY AWAY

JustThinking - Please confine your Far Right thoughts to No Holds Barred or anyplace else on this site except the Liberal's Only Room.  As anyone can plainly see by the name, the LO Rm is for Liberals only.  Therefore, you are not welcome.  If you do not heed this warning, further steps will be taken.

#24 Zaro

Zaro
  • 23,791 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:20 AM

I believe this is a too simplistic view of Trump ascension to power. Russians have certainly helped him to get the few votes that he needed to beat HC in the swing states, but the remaining 60 millions of votes and the way he trashed all the other republican candidates during the primaries must have a better explanation.
The results of the primaries, in particular, show that Americans are fed up of the classical candidates and the corrupted politicians. I am perfectly aware Trump does not solve these issues, yet to the eyes of most of his electors, he does, or at least he could. At the bare minimum, they believe there is a slightly higher possibility with him than with Jeff Bush or Ted Cruz. Again, this is wrong, he's possibly even worse than those candidates, yet he's different, and for many that's enough to give them hope.

This demonstrate how low the level of politicians is right now and how dangerous the situation is, considering that this is an historical requisite for the birth of dictatorships.

We have Trump, or for that matter really any shitty politician, because there is no solidarity in the working class. And that is because of white supremacy, institutionalized and otherwise aka racism. And Trump certainly offered an extra scoop of white male supremacy up during his campaign.
biting the hand that feeds my mojo

#25 Strootman

Strootman
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

We have Trump, or for that matter really any shitty politician, because there is no solidarity in the working class. And that is because of white supremacy, institutionalized and otherwise aka racism. And Trump certainly offered an extra scoop of white male supremacy up during his campaign.

I'm sorry but I can't accept this explanation. White supremacists, racists, nazis, have always been there. We just had a democratic black president for 8 years, probably the worst nightmare conceivable for these 'persons' and yet they could do nothing about it. Possibly they voted even more compactly in 2008 and 2012 right for this reason, and they were utterly defeated both times.These people always vote republican and will keep doing it for the foreseeable future and have decided exactly nothing. The deciding factor was the independent/neutral voters, as always. Either by voting for Trump or, more probably, just staying home because both candidates were perceived as equally awful. We both agree, I guess, that this was not the case, as worse than Trump... let me think... maybe Himmler? Yet this was the decisive factor in last elections.

So until the Democrats don't make up their mind and begin solving the BAD issues inside their party, Trump, or whoever the next republican candidate will be, will keep winning, because the neutrals will keep staying away from both parties, a good chunk of democratic electoral base will question their party more and more, while the brainwashed republican electoral base will keep supporting their candidates, no matter what.

Next time they won't even need the russians to win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users