Photo
- - - - -

What does not having health insurance make me guilty of?

34 replies to this topic

#26 Birdzeye

Birdzeye
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

So now it's a matter of "when" and not "if" I get sick.  I was sick last year with an ear infection.  I went to the clinic, paid my $75 bill, went to the pharmacy right next to the clinic, paid the $75 for the medicine, I got better.   Your explanation doesn't hold water.  Begs the question though, that if I do have the assets or money to pay for a pretty hefty medical bill, ain't I gaming the system by purchasing health insurance to cover medical costs I could easily afford?

Actually the quote DOES hold water. When (and for all of us it's a matter of when, not if, for all of us) you become sick with a major illness (such as heart attack, stroke or dancer) or are severely injured in an accident, you will be unlikely to be able to pay all your medical bills. Your health care providers will make up the loss with higher charges to paying patients and their insurers.

#27 rightturnsonly

rightturnsonly
  • 10,857 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

Actually the quote DOES hold water. When (and for all of us it's a matter of when, not if, for all of us) you become sick with a major illness (such as heart attack, stroke or dancer) or are severely injured in an accident, you will be unlikely to be able to pay all your medical bills. Your health care providers will make up the loss with higher charges to paying patients and their insurers.

If we are all going to become sick with a major illness that we cannot pay for, then there is no scheme on God's green Earth that CAN pay for it.

The Simpsons : "tug at the heart and fog the mind".

#28 dontlooknow

dontlooknow
  • 93,599 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

A lot of people "refusing" to pay hospital bills?  Between the rich and the poor, who is most likely to "refuse" to pay a hospital bill?  

that's is the point of insurance.
If your rich you don't need it.

#29 rightturnsonly

rightturnsonly
  • 10,857 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

With Obamacare on the chopping block, I suppose I should be changing the title to :

What did, not having health insurance make me guilty of?

There hasn't been an answer so far, guess that makes the answer to my question 'nothing'.  

#30 VladimirSonovabitch

VladimirSonovabitch
  • non-Liberal
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

It made you guilty of not buying a product that the federal imperial government required you to have. Therefore you shall be fined.

Here's a problem... I had a friend go in for an MRI. First off, there are no prices posted for this anywhere. When he asked how much it would be, their question to him was "Will this be insurance or self-pay?" He said insurance. Their response was $4000 with a $100 co-pay. He then asked how much without insurance and they said $180

WTF?!?!?   

There's your problem. Because it's some giant insurance organization that is paying with other peoples money, the cost was more than 22 times what it would be paying individually.  Ridiculous.

#31 Trumpusa

Trumpusa
  • non-Liberal
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

The knee-jerk authoritarian answer is, "guilty of breaking the law". 

What does breaking that law make me guilty of?

YOU'RE GUILTY

You're guilty of violating the ACA (aka Obamcare) by not having health insurance (pay the fine when you do your taxes).

You're guilty of theft of medical services, possibly.  People without insurance use $billions$ in medical care and don't pay for it.

Breaking the law makes you guilty of being racist, because Obama is black-enough and you seem to disagree with him on the ACA.

#32 QuantumPhyzx

QuantumPhyzx
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:49 AM

Just commit a crime and you can have all the free health insurance you need, in jail.  Not sarcasm.  Experience>

lmao, if you think jail provides quality healthcare than you obviously haven't been to jail.

literally, every single medical problem you have in jail, nurses just prescribe you wellbutrin (maybe tylenol 3 if you're suffering from a stab or gunshot wound) or prescribe you an antifungal cream (even if you don't have athlete's foot). that's the extensive quality of care you can expect from your jail nurse. and that's if your medical kite even gets responded to within 72 hours.

*Paid for by George Soros and fellow Democratic Operatives*
(he pays me in 1 week what you make in 10 years, get rekd Republikkkans)

#33 MrsFive

MrsFive
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

The knee-jerk authoritarian answer is, "guilty of breaking the law". 

What does breaking that law make me guilty of?

As MrFive has explained to me.. If you don't get a refund then you don't have to pay the Obama Care Penalty

Do your own withholding

#34 rightturnsonly

rightturnsonly
  • 10,857 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

As MrFive has explained to me.. If you don't get a refund then you don't have to pay the Obama Care Penalty

Do your own withholding

Doesn't answer my question.  

Just sent in my taxes and there are numerous exemptions from the Obamacare penalty tax.  Bet you didn't know there was a religious exemption.

#35 rightturnsonly

rightturnsonly
  • 10,857 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

YOU'RE GUILTY

You're guilty of violating the ACA (aka Obamcare) by not having health insurance (pay the fine when you do your taxes).

You're guilty of theft of medical services, possibly.  People without insurance use $billions$ in medical care and don't pay for it.

Breaking the law makes you guilty of being racist, because Obama is black-enough and you seem to disagree with him on the ACA.

Guilty, possibly?   It's just so wonderful to be deemed guilty because of a possibility.   At this point it would seem that what one is guilty of for not purchasing health insurance, without circling back to "it's the law", or outlandish claims of racism, simply cannot explained.  Therefore, I conclude that that "guilt" does not exist, and the government fining a person for not having purchasing health insurance, simply condenses down to THEFT.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users